Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vados_chan
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Vados_chan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seeing yellow SS at the end of the trailer almost made me puke. What a disgusting form.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What? Someone can't hate the "iconic" SS form? The amount of crap people are allowed to spew I can't state my opinion that I don't only prefer the modern forms but that SS is generally trash looking puke inducing form?

Iconic or not (which it lost in the Cell arc) doesn't mean anything doesn't mean I can't shit on it if I feel it deserves it, which it does. Yellow hair green eyes... :sick:
Wow you have the worst taste of any Db fan i have ever seen
Someone can't hate the "iconic" SS form? The amount of crap people are allowed to spew I can't state my opinion
Not when it's this bad and wrong, no real DB fan would prefer the re-colours over the original iconic form

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:44 am

Michsi wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
ricky84 wrote:There is zero point in changing Kid Vegeta's and 1st form Freeza's designs, especially when their original designs were in Super already.
Except Vegeta's kid hair being different from his adult hair is a contradiction of Saiyan biology. That was a GOOD change. Of all the things to complain about in the trailer, Vegeta's hair is not one of them.

Also, it stops making it look like he has a receding hairline.

King Vegeta,though. Don't know what to say about that facial hair.
I think its been shown that facial hair is fair game, it can be grown and removed. Also Nappa might show that if you shave your hair its gone for good. Yeah I guess everyone is right, I don't like the design but at least it's following the biology.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:10 am

Vados_chan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Seeing yellow SS at the end of the trailer almost made me puke. What a disgusting form.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What? Someone can't hate the "iconic" SS form? The amount of crap people are allowed to spew I can't state my opinion that I don't only prefer the modern forms but that SS is generally trash looking puke inducing form?

Iconic or not (which it lost in the Cell arc) doesn't mean anything doesn't mean I can't shit on it if I feel it deserves it, which it does. Yellow hair green eyes... :sick:
Someone can't hate the "iconic" SS form? The amount of crap people are allowed to spew I can't state my opinion
Not when it's this bad and wrong, no real DB fan would prefer the re-colours over the original iconic form
You can't be serious. How can an opinion be bad or wrong?

And I'm not a real DB fan because I prefer modern forms? Grow up. I mustn't be the only on because they're bringing out next to no merch for the "iconic" SS forms for the movie.... I wonder why...?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:31 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Vados_chan wrote:

And I'm not a real DB fan because I prefer modern forms? Grow up. I mustn't be the only on because they're bringing out next to no merch for the "iconic" SS forms for the movie.... I wonder why...?
Because those forms have the most amount of merch and aren't new anymore.

Which is extremely obvious.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:46 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Dragono wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: You make no sense. If the movie shows Freeza destroy the Planet with Bardock NOWHERE TO BE SEEN then how can the rebellion have still happened?! And we know the movie shows Freeza destroying the Planet because its in the TRAILER!

And I’ve already explained that from what we’ve seen in the trailer, they seemed to have erased the rebellion.
But wasn't planet vegeta shown be red in the trailer but the planet freeza blew up was blue?
No. Planet Vegeta is not red anymore. In the beginning on the trailer, it was sunset. Thats all. Thats why in other parts of the trailer, when its day time, the sky is blue, not red. And it even shows that the Planet Freeza destroys is Planet Vegeta in the latest Jump scan. It was either Saikyo Jump or Weekly Shonen Jump. It was in the second to last video Geekdom101 posted
Well, we just have to wait and see. These seem to be flashbacks to different points of the past.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:47 am

nato25 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Except Vegeta's kid hair being different from his adult hair is a contradiction of Saiyan biology. That was a GOOD change. Of all the things to complain about in the trailer, Vegeta's hair is not one of them.

Also, it stops making it look like he has a receding hairline.

King Vegeta,though. Don't know what to say about that facial hair.
I think its been shown that facial hair is fair game, it can be grown and removed. Also Nappa might show that if you shave your hair its gone for good. Yeah I guess everyone is right, I don't like the design but at least it's following the biology.
I was talking more about how it looks. The stuffier goatee looked better on him, now it kinda looks like something Dabura had. Though I guess he could grow it out later. Those shots with him are probably years before.

Also, if they do end up changing Vegeta's age, that'll make Bulma older than him, and I know it wouldn't be by much, but it's still weird to think of them that way.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:49 am

I really do wonder if Gogeta's design will remain untouched, given what they've done with Freeza's base form in the trailer... I wouldn't mind a change with Gogeta, but I also wouldn't mind if he remained the same appearance wise either.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I really do wonder if Gogeta's design will remain untouched, given what they've done with Freeza's base form in the trailer... I wouldn't mind a change with Gogeta, but I also wouldn't mind if he remained the same appearance wise either.
Maybe a colour change, but hopefully the concept of the metamorean (sp?) fusion clothes isn't lost.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:08 am

It is funny though, that the one thing people want Toriyama to forget, he not only remembers but puts it in a movie.

I still remain open minded because the retcons were secondary to the fact that minus wasn't a story so lets see if I was right.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:09 am

Watching Ajay's video has left me confused. If Frieza is not destroying planet Vegeta, what is that scene about? Did he really grow some exosqueleton-armour with the years? I really never wondered how old he was, but I always thought he was older that what seems to be depicted here, then, bit not a big deal.

The movie may even fit with Minus after all, trough I kinda prefered a rewrite of it (not that it would really fix that much since Goku being send to Earth by their parents is still a thing but still).
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Vados_chan wrote:

Don't bother. In this fandom you can't say you like new stuff instead of the old one.

Don't get me wrong, SSB should not have been just a recolour, but it's perfectly possible to like the blue hair more than the gold one. If we go by the "it's iconic so it's good" logic we may as well love all the shit that happens in the Cell/ Boo arc. People should be able to say what they consider to be crap in both old and modern DB, but here you get things like "your opinion on something aesthetical is wronggggg!"
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:39 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I really do wonder if Gogeta's design will remain untouched, given what they've done with Freeza's base form in the trailer... I wouldn't mind a change with Gogeta, but I also wouldn't mind if he remained the same appearance wise either.
Gogeta never had a "canon" design so it'd be more acceptable than someone established in the manga like Freeza.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:07 am

This Movie is giving me some The Path to Power vibes which was the 10th DB Movie, in the sense this is the 20th movie and it's also retelling older stories in a different way.

The Path to Power did it with the first DB arc and Red Ribbon Army arc while changing some character designs too - kid Goku got his GT outfit and Bulma got purple hair.
This Movie is doing the same but with Bardock TV Special and Broly first Movie.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:17 am

Wasn't Guldo new to the Ginyu Force in the Namek Arc? Yet he seems to be in it when Frieza conquers Vegeta.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:21 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:Wasn't Guldo new to the Ginyu Force in the Namek Arc? Yet he seems to be in it when Frieza conquers Vegeta.
They said he was the newest member but I'm not sure if they actually said he just joined so if not then there's no contradiction. If so then just add it to the long list of contradictions we've already talked about which doesn't count everything else that has been contradicted since 2008.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 am

Then there's also the Saiyans all wearing armour before Frieza takes them over.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:35 am

Thinking about it, there was that interview for the movie where they stated that they don't think that Dragon Ball should be treated as something untouchable (or something along those linest), but I thought that this meant they'd be more daring with things like themes and atmosphere and tone of the story, not that they'd think already established scenes or plot points are dismissable.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:46 am

Michsi wrote:Thinking about it, there was that interview for the movie where they stated that they don't think that Dragon Ball should be treated as something untouchable (or something along those linest), but I thought that this meant they'd be more daring with things like themes and atmosphere and tone of the story, not that they'd think already established scenes or plot points are dismissable.
I remember that way back. People were really miffed about it back then, too, since it implied that proper continuity, both narratively and visually, weren't considered " that important", air quotes.

Now obviously, that's probably not what they meant, but I think we're seeing the natural result of that approach and how it can divide the community. People aren't sure whether a good and entertaining story is worth potentially breaking continuity that's already been established. I remember seeing a story that reminds me of this where George Lucas at a meeting between writers wanted to put a bunch of established characters together into a story, even though continuity put them hundreds of years apart; Lucas didn't care and wanted to contrive it anyways.

I don't think this is exactly what's happening, but the fear is certainly there.

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 am

Omg, what did I just watch? :crazy: This trailer even contradicts the manga version of the Super.

From chapter 8
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
Michsi wrote:Thinking about it, there was that interview for the movie where they stated that they don't think that Dragon Ball should be treated as something untouchable (or something along those linest), but I thought that this meant they'd be more daring with things like themes and atmosphere and tone of the story, not that they'd think already established scenes or plot points are dismissable.
I remember that way back. People were really miffed about it back then, too, since it implied that proper continuity, both narratively and visually, weren't considered " that important", air quotes.

Now obviously, that's probably not what they meant, but I think we're seeing the natural result of that approach and how it can divide the community. People aren't sure whether a good and entertaining story is worth potentially breaking continuity that's already been established. I remember seeing a story that reminds me of this where George Lucas at a meeting between writers wanted to put a bunch of established characters together into a story, even though continuity put them hundreds of years apart; Lucas didn't care and wanted to contrive it anyways.

I don't think this is exactly what's happening, but the fear is certainly there.
For the record, none of what is supposedly being retconned (Vegeta's age, Freeza's color scheme, etc) is a deal breaker for me. I have long made my peace with Dragon Ball minus, so I'm not too upset about it making it's way into the main story line.
What I think most irks people is the perceived lack of care towards the story and its fans. That instead of imagining the writers going "I have this idea but in order for it to work we have to just tweak this old story element a little" they think their attitude towards it is more like "I can't be bothered to double check whether what we came up with fits with the old stuff or not."

I feel like show-runners sometimes overestimate the importance of spectacle and eye-popping production and think everything else is secondary.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 am

STH wrote:Omg, what did I just watch? :crazy: This trailer even contradicts the manga version of the Super.

From chapter 8
The Saiyans could have been serving under King Cold and this is just their first time meeting Frieza. Kikono's profile for the movie says he designed all of the equipment including the armor.