"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by MrTennek » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Bullza wrote:Animation looks very dodgy, wouldn't have thought it was a theatrical movie to be honest. Seems like a bit childish maybe, a step down from the last two movies.
That's sarcasm, surely...Right...?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:51 pm

MrTennek wrote:That's sarcasm, surely...Right...?
No, the character designs have a weird look to them, they seem a bit more childish looking.

There was a lot of still shots in the trailer like what you'd get from an episode, baby Goku and Brolys face look too wide and round like a football, Paragus' face when he's kneeling looks off, Frieza is a very ugly pink colour for some reason, Super Saiyan Goku looks strange too.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Bullza wrote:
No, the character designs have a weird look to them, they seem a bit more childish looking.

There was a lot of still shots in the trailer like what you'd get from an episode, baby Goku and Brolys face look too wide and round like a football, Paragus' face when he's kneeling looks off, Frieza is a very ugly pink colour for some reason, Super Saiyan Goku looks strange too.
Why does 'childish' mean? Why is 'childish' bad?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Bullza wrote:

I know what you mean Bullza, though it's not really the animation, it's more so the art style/vibrant colors. When I first saw the designs and the Onishi teaser, i was taken back. The first trailer for Broly also had that same feeling but I still looked past it and tried to get used to it. This trailer though for me was underwhelming and showed a huge inconsistency with styles (Going from that blobby, odd, bouncy Goku to a stunning SSJ Vegeta was just...can't even explain it. The difference is astounding). It's basically the DB world sucked into the Yugioh card, Toon World. As i've mentioned in my posts a few months ago, this new style is not exactly one I like. However, I'm still going to keep an open mind and wait to see how it all turns out in the final product.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Why is 'childish' bad?
It gives it a silly and immature appearance which this series largely is not.
DainIronfoot wrote:As i've mentioned in my posts a few months ago, this new style is not exactly one I like. However, I'm still going to keep an open mind and wait to see how it all turns out in the final product.
Yeah I suppose it's more the style they're going with for the most part. These new character designs aren't bad but they aren't as good as what we had before. Some shots are alright but then a lot seem a bit dodgy as well. I thought that for the last trailer but it was more obvious here.

Not keen on the all the still shots as well. Watching the trailer at .25x speed there's movement with the CGI space ships, cut to Zarbon and Dodoria just being slide into place, a very stiff shot of the Ginyu Force, cut to another still, cut to another still, then a stiff shot of Bardock who bends forward slightly into another still and so on.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:35 pm

Bullza wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:As i've mentioned in my posts a few months ago, this new style is not exactly one I like. However, I'm still going to keep an open mind and wait to see how it all turns out in the final product.
Yeah I suppose it's more the style they're going with for the most part. These new character designs aren't bad but they aren't as good as what we had before. Some shots are alright but then a lot seem a bit dodgy as well. I thought that for the last trailer but it was more obvious here.

Not keen on the all the still shots as well. Watching the trailer at .25x speed there's movement with the CGI space ships, cut to Zarbon and Dodoria just being slide into place, a very stiff shot of the Ginyu Force, cut to another still, cut to another still, then a stiff shot of Bardock who bends forward slightly into another still and so on.
They're different from what we had before, and in some way you could definitely argue they're better than the overwhelming majority designs created in the last two or so decades.

In the Shintani, they already mentioned stuff about going for a softer approach during less intense and non-action oriented scnes, and thats pretty much what we saw in the new trailer, I don't see why this is so surprising. Also, isn't half as mature as people think it is(gods sake, the main antagonist of an arc was a big fat blob of bumble gum that turned people into candy, so mature). Its OK for the show to look fun when things aren't meant to be serious, and to look unsettling when things heat up. I thinkt the trailer handled that wonderfully.

Also, I'm pretty sure they could be saving frames for bigger action sequences, as well as character acting scenes they want to land.

I'm just a little confused so far about exactly what people are bothered about...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:42 am

JazzMazz wrote:In the Shintani, they already mentioned stuff about going for a softer approach during less intense and non-action oriented scnes, and thats pretty much what we saw in the new trailer, I don't see why this is so surprising.
Them being soft looking is one thing, weird enough as it is because they're highly trained muscular martial artists so looking soft is the last thing they should appear to be but that aside the designs for some characters are ok but others not so much.
Also, isn't half as mature as people think it is(gods sake, the main antagonist of an arc was a big fat blob of bumble gum that turned people into candy, so mature).
This would be the same arc were a criminal shot an old couple in the face with a Sniper Rifle for a laugh and then shot a puppy. Which led to the bubble gum monster forcing his way down the criminals throat, expanding him until he burst into pieces.

Dr Gero grabbed someone by the neck and squeezed that hard that his head became detached from his neck. It's not a childish series.
I'm just a little confused so far about exactly what people are bothered about...
Well it's just as I said. The character designs are weird for some characters. Frieza is pink for some reason. There appears to be a bunch of CGI. The animation itself looks so so with many still shots and some weak shots like Zarbon and Dodoria being slid into the middle of the screen.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Bullza wrote:

They're different from what we had before, and in some way you could definitely argue they're better than the overwhelming majority designs created in the last two or so decades.

In the Shintani, they already mentioned stuff about going for a softer approach during less intense and non-action oriented scnes, and thats pretty much what we saw in the new trailer, I don't see why this is so surprising. Also, isn't half as mature as people think it is(gods sake, the main antagonist of an arc was a big fat blob of bumble gum that turned people into candy, so mature). Its OK for the show to look fun when things aren't meant to be serious, and to look unsettling when things heat up. I thinkt the trailer handled that wonderfully.

Also, I'm pretty sure they could be saving frames for bigger action sequences, as well as character acting scenes they want to land.

It's really simple, it's just not a personal art preference to some, including me so far. I think it's a good thing for them to come up with a new approach, leaving non action scenes softer and less detailed. However, when something like that occurs it's hard to keep some form of consistency and sadly for some like myself, it takes us away from the immersion. I'm already positive the action scenes will be great with Takahashi, but the soft, bubbly approach for many of the scenes in the trailer is simply not my preference. As I mentioned the first time we saw the Onishi teaser, it's as if someone took the characters and threw them into the Toon World magic card from Yugioh. While some may like it, others will not.

Even with all of that said though, I still am going to see how things play out and I have no doubt that I will still enjoy the movie.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:09 am

Anyone else think Takahashi stuck out like a sore thumb this time?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Anyone else think Takahashi stuck out like a sore thumb this time?
A bit. Like Ajay said, he's using Movie 13/Buu arc designs against the newer Shintani designs which are fundamentally very different. It's more obvious when you have a Shintani-style Goku IMMEDIATELY before that Takahashi Vegeta with its layered shading and heavily defined muscles.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am

I had so many expectations for Nagamine and even so he's totally blowing me away with his amazing direction and storyboard.
The use of specific colors to make some scenes stand out with a better atmosphere, like the pink tone when Freeza meets the Saiyans, really makes a whole difference.

BOG and ROF look completely bland in comparison and this movie trailers are enough to destroy them in those departments.

It's a shame that all the stupid retcons are keeping me from being fully invested in this movie.
ekrolo2 wrote:Anyone else think Takahashi stuck out like a sore thumb this time?
He sticks out because his style revolves around the Buu arc designs but due to his popularity they don't seem to have the balls to "correct" him, in order to have overall consistency.
And that's good for his fans. If I have to deal will all these retcons happening 20+ years later, at least let me have my Takahashi dose unfiltered.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:54 am

Yes, but I don't really mind when he's the one that looks the best. I'd rather have his designs for the whole film.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am

Doctor. wrote:
Yes, but I don't really mind when he's the one that looks the best. I'd rather have his designs for the whole film.
I'm a bit torn of Takahashi, I really like how his style looks but its also just sort of Yamamuro from the 90s if you time traveled him to present day. I don't know if I'd really pick it as the new, fresh approach.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
I'm a bit torn of Takahashi, I really like how his style looks but its also just sort of Yamamuro from the 90s if you time traveled him to present day. I don't know if I'd really pick it as the new, fresh approach.
I don't want a new, fresh approach in terms of visuals if the narratives are still gonna be shit. Might as well keep one good thing from the 90s to remind us this is still DB.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Yes, but I don't really mind when he's the one that looks the best. I'd rather have his designs for the whole film.
I don't want a new, fresh approach in terms of visuals if the narratives are still gonna be shit. Might as well keep one good thing from the 90s to remind us this is still DB.
Shouldn't the proper approach be to get someone like Nagamine and Shintani on the writing staff who'll say "We've seen this shit a million times already! Do something else!".

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

The main animators are getting their own sections of the film so the actual shifts won't be as noticeable when you're watching the film as it might be with a trailer. This is how it normally is good production schedules, anyway. Asking a skilled animator to handle a specific scene because you want their touch to define that scene has been the way Japanese cartoons are made for forty years.

I just hope Takahashi's scene doesn't suck. So far we've only seen his still shots with no real movement. I want the Takahashi from the end of Episode #13 to come back. Move, for fuck's sake!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:51 pm

I will say that I will enjoy all Takahashi shots A LOT in comparison with the others.
He's definitely the best at capturing DBZ esence and portraying it to modern times, if they dare to correct him it's gonna be a clusterfuck, guaranteed

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

With the way the trailer was cut yeah, but I think it won't be that jarring of a switch in the movie I think we'll slowly be eased into him. I also think the SS with aura colour made it stand out even more.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:23 pm

cuartas wrote:I will say that I will enjoy all Takahashi shots A LOT in comparison with the others.
He's definitely the best at capturing DBZ esence and portraying it to modern times, if they dare to correct him it's gonna be a clusterfuck, guaranteed
How would correcting Takahashi be a “clusterfuck”?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
cuartas wrote:I will say that I will enjoy all Takahashi shots A LOT in comparison with the others.
How would correcting Takahashi be a “clusterfuck”?
The community?