Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:36 pm

Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Roshi also says Grampa Gohan found a baby, not a toddler, an actual baby which a 3 year old who can walk and fight is not.
Oh, this seems like a contradiction between Minus and the original manga, probably another reason why we shouldn't desconsider this as a part of the main story.
Well depend on culture I wonder if in Japan they still say akanbo (baby in japanese) for an infant of 3 years old. In France for some people you are still a baby at 3 years so there it is. I think it's more a matter of perspective. :think:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Goku's backstory is like Superman's now.

Bardock's special is no longer "canon".

Freeza has a new base design.

Goku and Vegeta's ages are now closer to each other.
The only one of those that's actually true is Freeza's design change. Besides the fact that storytelling is subjective, Goku's backstory was always compared to Superman's. It really doesn't even matter if he was sent to be protected or to destroy the Earth, a super powerful humanoid sent away from a dying planet of aliens as a baby is going to look familiar. Heck, you could say it's less similar to Superman since Goku spent a year or two longer on planet Vegeta than we previously knew. Other than that, Vegeta isn't any younger than before, and nothing is retconned or "decanonized" (ugh) here that wasn't already in Minus.
Last edited by Shaddy on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Noah wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Roshi also says Grampa Gohan found a baby, not a toddler, an actual baby which a 3 year old who can walk and fight is not.
Oh, this seems like a contradiction between Minus and the original manga, probably another reason why we shouldn't desconsider this as a part of the main story.
Well depend on culture I wonder if in Japan they still say akanbo (baby in japanese) for an infant of 3 years old. In France for some people you are still a baby at 3 years so there it is. I think it's more a matter of perspective. :think:
Agreed, even my young niece would get called a baby even when she was around 3

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:59 pm

sintzu wrote:
Miracles wrote:So what's popular to whine about now concerning Toriyama's story about Bardock and company?

When has Vegeta's age ever been stated?
Freeza having a design change changes nothing about the story.
Bardock special was never canon. Only Toriyama's small clip of it in the manga.
Goku's backstory is like Superman's cause Toriyama himself wrote it.
Only what Toriyama does matters not TOEI.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Miracles wrote:So what's popular to whine about now concerning Toriyama's story about Bardock and company?

Vegeta's age was written in the Daizenshuu (which Toriyama co-wrote) and well as other official guides (same). He is 5 years older than Goku according to them.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:06 pm

If it's in the Daizenshuu then I don't see any problem in changing it.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Why is this silly misconception still a topic of discussion?

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:16 pm

People can't get over the fact that Minus officially takes precedence over the old 1990 TV special, even though that was obvious since the day it came out in 2014.

The second trailer was a vast improvement over the first one because it shows that there's more to this film than "muh powur levelz" and fights. Doesn't necessarily mean that the story will live up to expectations, but it's a start.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 pm

If we dont get Bardock’s rebellion or maybe a new version of the rebellion, at least some scene where Bardock tries to fight back against Freeza and/or his men, this movie won’t be able to get above an 8/10. Thats how important the scene/event is to me. Maybe it being erase doesn’t bother others but this is my opinion,
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
People can't get over the fact that Minus officially takes precedence over the old 1990 TV special, even though that was obvious since the day it came out in 2014.

The second trailer was a vast improvement over the first one because it shows that there's more to this film than "muh powur levelz" and fights. Doesn't necessarily mean that the story will live up to expectations, but it's a start.
Thank you kind sir. As you stated they shouldn't get mad over an obvious fact.
ricky84 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Vegeta's age was written in the Daizenshuu (which Toriyama co-wrote) and well as other official guides (same). He is 5 years older than Goku according to them.
So how does what was shown in the trailer change this?

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Miracles wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

ricky84 wrote:
Miracles wrote: When has Vegeta's age ever been stated?
I'm not complaining about the trailer unlike most folks here. I'm just pointing out that the image of infant Vegeta in the trailer could be years before Goku gets sent off.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:07 pm

We don't actually know for certain that anything has been screwed up yet. People are just being dramatic and pessimistic as per usual

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:12 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:If we dont get Bardock’s rebellion or maybe a new version of the rebellion, at least some scene where Bardock tries to fight back against Freeza and/or his men, this movie won’t be able to get above an 8/10. Thats how important the scene/event is to me. Maybe it being erase doesn’t bother others but this is my opinion,
I acknowledge that specific scene looks very tragy-heroic and badass. But from a story-point it doesn't make much sense. He and his men are simply waiting there to be slaughtered by Freeza.
I hope he still rebels in the revised version, but in a more strategic manner.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:15 pm

ricky84 wrote:I'm not complaining about the trailer unlike most folks here. I'm just pointing out that the image of infant Vegeta in the trailer could be years before Goku gets sent off.
According to Minus, the image of infant Vegeta is some years before Goku born gets sent off.

However, the complaints are that kid Vegeta is just two or three years older than Goku, which is a "retcon" (although this was never stated in the manga).

Of course, this "retcon" was shown in Minus before.
Last edited by Konja7 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:If we dont get Bardock’s rebellion or maybe a new version of the rebellion, at least some scene where Bardock tries to fight back against Freeza and/or his men, this movie won’t be able to get above an 8/10. Thats how important the scene/event is to me. Maybe it being erase doesn’t bother others but this is my opinion,
I acknowledge that specific looks very tragy-heroic and badass. But from a story-point it doesn't make much sense. He and his men are simply waiting there to be slaughtered by Freeza.
Remember that no one in the Freeza Force knew how to sense energy, and Freeza's power couldn't be tracked by scouters without breaking. So Bardock thinking he stood a chance against Freeza in the 90's special and making his last stand makes sense.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:24 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
I acknowledge that specific looks very tragy-heroic and badass. But from a story-point it doesn't make much sense. He and his men are simply waiting there to be slaughtered by Freeza.
Remember that no one in the Freeza Force knew how to sense energy, and Freeza's power couldn't be tracked by scouters without breaking. So Bardock thinking he stood a chance against Freeza in the 90's special and making his last stand makes sense.
So you think they completely didn't know how MUCH stronger he, the tiranic ruler of the galaxy and destroyer of planets, really was?
If i were Bardock and i would like to do something about the Freeza-threat, i would try, how difficult it may be, to find another way than direct combat.

Definitily if you look at the trailer? The Saiyans are shitting in their pants and bow when he arrives. Are these the brave men who are going to challenge him in straight combat?
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
So you think they completely didn't know how MUCH stronger he, the tiranic ruler of the galaxy and destroyer of planets, really was?
If i were Bardock and i would like to do something about the Freeza-threat, i would try, how difficult it may be, to find another way than direct combat.
This is Dragonball, where strategy doesn't work when your enemy is at least 5x stronger than you (and isn't completely stupid lol).

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:33 pm

PFM18 wrote:We don't actually know for certain that anything has been screwed up yet. People are just being dramatic and pessimistic as per usual
With how disappointed people have been with many of the things to come out of modern Dragon Ball you really shouldn’t be surprised
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:38 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
This is Dragonball, where strategy doesn't work when your enemy is at least 5x stronger than you (and isn't completely stupid lol).

I hope they will challenge him or attack him in some different way than just presenting themselves like puppets in front of him, waiting to get their asses erased.
I wouldn't mind too much if the 'iconic' scene would stay, but in the trailer there wasn't any proof of that shown.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:25 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

ricky84 wrote:
I'm not complaining about the trailer unlike most folks here. I'm just pointing out that the image of infant Vegeta in the trailer could be years before Goku gets sent off.
Being born around the same time wouldn't be a big deal. We know Vegeta is still older than Goku.
Konja7 wrote:
ricky84 wrote:I'm not complaining about the trailer unlike most folks here. I'm just pointing out that the image of infant Vegeta in the trailer could be years before Goku gets sent off.
According to Minus, the image of infant Vegeta is some years before Goku born gets sent off.

However, the complaints are that kid Vegeta is just two or three years older than Goku, which is a "retcon" (although this was never stated in the manga).

Of course, this "retcon" was shown in Minus before.
Then it's not a retcon.