What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: What is the lamest thing to come out of modern DBZ?

Post by PFM18 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:06 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:The ToP, especially the anime version. It borders on being unwatchable.
.....the anime version of the ToP is especially bad? you sure?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:42 am

People defending the retcons Toriyama is doing to the lore based on the changes coming from Toriyama, yet would throw anyone else under the bus for the same or less without a second thought.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:55 am

Jackalope89 wrote:The outrage that a non-canon special is officially non-canon.
It's not as lame as being OK with the retcons just because of who wrote them, especially when compared to the story reasons people give for defending the special.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:03 am

Dragon Ball Minus. Such an unnecessary story that just had to be adapted for the next movie.

And Gine being sweet and soft compared to the other Saiyans annoys me. I'd much rather have preferred if she had been just like the others. Like Kunzait said, it softens how violent and aggressive the Saiyans are.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:32 am

Ssjcell wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:How is Goku Black a clone of Tullece? Lol. One of them is lowborn scum from a primitive mortal species, the other one is a divine prodigy who has given into his darker desires and has taken over a mortal's body, using it to brilliantly reach the peak of beauty that every mortal seeks for so long. They are completely different characters.
Zamusu has a crush on Goku he keeps calling him beautiful weird guy imo
Indeed, Black was obsessed with Goku, and he was always a freak, that's what makes him so funny. Future Zamasu is also amazing with his ridiculous self-centered and vainglorious attitude. Funniest villains in Dragon Ball by far, the chemistry between those two was so goofy and entertaining. But I'm digressing.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:The outrage that a non-canon special is officially non-canon.
It's defacto canon if everybody likes it and agrees that it is superior. Appeals to authority need not apply

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Goten and Trunks.
Not continuing with the next generation, exploring new ideas in general.
Instead it focuses on the Goku-Vegeta dynamic and just themes and ideas that were already concluded or realized in the original which just makes it feel like a cash-grab and not a legitimate attempt to write a good story...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:09 pm

EZsensei wrote:Goten and Trunks.
Not continuing with the next generation, exploring new ideas in general.
Instead it focuses on the Goku-Vegeta dynamic and just themes and ideas that were already concluded or realized in the original which just makes it feel like a cash-grab and not a legitimate attempt to write a good story...
GIven the sheer amount of ground covered by DB, what would the next generation do that wasn't explored by Goku's? Making the story about the next generation wouldn't have explored new ideas. It would've been a paint job at best. And just because Vegeta's arc was concluded doesn't mean there aren't places to go with him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:57 pm

Well, now changing Broly to an evil unstoppable force to a tragic anti hero comes to mind.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 pm

PFM18 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:The ToP, especially the anime version. It borders on being unwatchable.
Why can't anyone simply disagree with your fantasy that Super was a well executed show without you rushing in to question the legitimacy of their thoughts? It seems odd that such a show would need internet lobbyists working around the clock to constantly remind them that they are wrong, no?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 pm

DB Minus, easily.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Knowing that Bardock faces Freeza in the movie and probably more scenes will be made to go along with Dragon Ball Minus, I start to think Dragon Ball Minus can be great. Now that it will be shown in a proper context and will have some lore/story expanded.

Don't get me wrong, Dragon Ball Minus itself/out of context is indeed one of the worst things in Dragon Ball, but how it plays out in the movie might be another thing entirely.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:31 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Why can't anyone simply disagree with your fantasy that Super was a well executed show without you rushing in to question the legitimacy of their thoughts? It seems odd that such a show would need internet lobbyists working around the clock to constantly remind them that they are wrong, no?
LOL.

Wow, what a hilariously defensive response. I was asking why the anime is unwatchable when it the manga's ToP is almost universally recognized as the lesser of the two, and you just go ahead and attack me for it without even attempting to answer the question or provide any substance whatsoever. This is not somehow a "reminder that you're wrong" I was just baffled that you thought the anime was the version of the ToP that was unwatchable/unreadable and was asking why/for more information.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Noah wrote:Well, now changing Broly to an evil unstoppable force to a tragic anti hero comes to mind.
You hate the idea of giving him an actual character rather than a raging brute whose sole motivation comes from a crying baby?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Noah wrote:Well, now changing Broly to an evil unstoppable force to a tragic anti hero comes to mind.
You hate the idea of giving him an actual character rather than a raging brute whose sole motivation comes from a crying baby?
I know right?!

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:Why can't anyone simply disagree with your fantasy that Super was a well executed show without you rushing in to question the legitimacy of their thoughts?
Why is it a fantasy? You sound like an asshole when you say it like that. It's his opinion, and from what I've seen, he frequently goes out of his way to support his thoughts.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:You hate the idea of giving him an actual character rather than a raging brute whose sole motivation comes from a crying baby?
I could say a lot, but people have done before on this forum, so I'll quote them:
wolflonnie wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:First Broly was a well written villain, its not only about Goku crying as baby its more than that, the crying thing is metaphoric. Broly got nearly killed by King Vegeta as a baby and was thrown in the garbage. He was violent and had a hard time controlling himself, Paragus also used him for his own ambitions too. The second coming made him look more angrier and insane and that's all.
Plus, It's actually more complex than a mere crying. The crying triggered his PTSD from what happened to him as a baby and turned him into a psychotic version of himself.
Broly was decently written. I mean I've read the synopsis of the new Broly and I'm not that impressed. He seems, at a first read, the typical introvert and controlled guy, with rage fits, much like Kale (a better version of her). I would've kept some of the psychotic facets, maybe not as much as before to keep him sympathetic enough.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:54 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:Why can't anyone simply disagree with your fantasy that Super was a well executed show without you rushing in to question the legitimacy of their thoughts?
Why is it a fantasy? You sound like an asshole when you say it like that. It's his opinion, and from what I've seen, he frequently goes out of his way to support his thoughts.
No, no God forbid somebody actually likes and enjoys the new material! I realize I'm in the minority so given the way the general population feels about it, it would seem to most that considering it a well executed show is not a reality, but I don't necessarily care. But somebody asking for you to support your opinion being met by claiming that evaluating the show as good is a fantasy is just not right.

Other people's loss though, it has thoroughly revitalized my love for this franchise.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:
No, no God forbid somebody actually likes and enjoys the new material! I realize I'm in the minority so given the way the general population feels about it, it would seem to most that considering it a well executed show is not a reality, but I don't necessarily care. But somebody asking for you to support your opinion being met by claiming that evaluating the show as good is a fantasy is just not right.

Other people's loss though, it has thoroughly revitalized my love for this franchise.
Nobody said you can't enjoy it. But the abysmal production schedule, the lack of communication between writers (and toriyama), the art issues, the animation issues, abysmal score - these are all objectively there and a considerable step down from its predecessor. So yeah, go ahead and enjoy it I guess.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Production issues are a thing that existed, but whether those things are directly tied to the actual quality of the result (and if so, how much) comes down to the opinions of the viewer. It's subjective. You're gonna probably say it's not an opinion and is an "objective fact" in the future, but it's still gonna be an opinion and people are going to keep telling you it's an opinion.