"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokesamus217

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Pokesamus217 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:00 pm

TKA wrote:I don’t care about what some youtuber has to say. Especially one who thinks the Abridged series did anything better than the original work.
So why does a guy having an opinion you don’t like completely invalidate his point? Especially if said opinion is something that has decent support backing it.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 pm

Nokra wrote:The problem with the dbs manga is that there are almost no hype/memorable moments compared to the anime. It just feels flat reading through it and waiting for a plot point to be reached then it's on to the next one. The manga also makes the characters both weaker and super incompetent compared to their anime counterparts.
There is plenty of cool stuff in the DBS Manga. You have Gamma Burst Flash, Goku's Hakai, and Trunks vs Goku in the FT arc. In the ToP arc you have Vegeta vs Beerus, GoD Battle Royale, Goku and Hit teaming up, and the legendary page where Gohan challenges Kefla.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 pm

Bergamo wrote:
Nokra wrote:The problem with the dbs manga is that there are almost no hype/memorable moments compared to the anime. It just feels flat reading through it and waiting for a plot point to be reached then it's on to the next one. The manga also makes the characters both weaker and super incompetent compared to their anime counterparts.
There is plenty of cool stuff in the DBS Manga. You have Gamma Burst Flash, Goku's Hakai, and Trunks vs Goku in the FT arc. In the ToP arc you have Vegeta vs Beerus, GoD Battle Royale, Goku and Hit teaming up, and the legendary page where Gohan challenges Kefla.
Yeah Vegeta vs Beerus and Hit and Goku teaming up were pretty cool. I don't really agree on anything else though, especially Gohan challenging Kefla being legendary.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:44 pm

PFM18 wrote:does the presence of blood really make a big difference?
Yes. It means these aren't action figures getting slammed into each other.

Let me ask you a simple question. Who looks to be in more pain? This guy, or this guy?

Blood and battle damage go a long way. Imagine the Saiyan arc without this. It doesn't work.
Pokesamus217 wrote: So why does a guy having an opinion you don’t like completely invalidate his point? Especially if said opinion is something that has decent support backing it.
I recommend going back a page and reading through all the posts.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:09 am

Didn't someone mention way back that the manga supposedly will have 8 Volumes? Does that mean it will finish the TOP arc in the November issue of Vjump? Or did they change the number of volumes that will be published?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:17 am

Liquir wrote:Image

Didn't someone mention way back that the manga supposedly will have 8 Volumes? Does that mean it will finish the TOP arc in the November issue of Vjump? Or did they change the number of volumes that will be published?
It was never confirmed it will end in 8 volumes, only some speculations based on god knows what. The only way they end it in 8 volumes is that they make volume 8 a 300+ page manga, which most likely won't happen.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 am

IM21 wrote:Well Toriyama said that one of the biggest reason he chose Toyotaro was cause of his panelling so... And yea, Toyo's panelling is nowhere close to Toriyama's but it's still not that bad. The problem is that people like to compare one of the best mangaka or at least action mangaka of all time to Toyotaro.
It is bad. He fills pages with so many unneccesary panels that make it harder to read. It also takes away space from potentially good panels that could use larger art to make them more "dynamic" like many readers complain the manga lacks, myself included.
Rakurai wrote:I agree with the sentiment that we should leave YouTubers out of this thread. Most of them are low-quality bait, highly opinionated, and contain no more authority on DB than the rest of us here.
You can share a YouTuber's sentiment on the manga and present it as your own but there is no need to relay when one of their videos has been released. We're here to discuss the Super manga, not promote a YouTuber's videos.
My intention wasn't to promote or else I would have provided a link. I was stating that TNM coincidentally used some of my arguments from the past pertaining to Toyotaro's Panelling. I assumed people would have watched it.

I tire of them all anyways besides AnimeAjay. Been losing a lot of interest in Dragon Ball Media since the anime ended and the Manga Chapters have been getting less engaging each month.
batistabus wrote:Aside from the fact that TNM's humor is really hard to sit through, that video is a waste of time.

1. The title is shameless clickbait. No other way around it. Anyone who takes that approach automatically loses credibility.
2. It's largely a rehash of another popular video he's already made.
3. Toytaro's overuse of paneling is so blatantly obvious if you're at all familiar with the original manga. It's not some deep analytical insight.
4. We've had this conversation multiple times in this thread. The last instance that stands out to me is back in April with Exline leading the charge.
I agree, his humor is the reason I stopped watching his videos. And thank you for remembering! Haha I would've furthered the argument, but it was too time consuming gathering all these pictures to compare.
Doctor. wrote:Is the Dragon Ball community on Twitter that big for it to be used as a boogeyman so often? It's been invoked at least twice unprovoked in the last few pages. Legitimate question, I don't use the platform.
Yes, I think it's the most centralized place for "discussion". You get all sorts converging from casuals to DBtubers to Kanzenshuuites. It's much less of a commitment than a forum, and you get a lot more feedback on your individual posts. You can also follow people who create content for the series (Toyotaro, Toei staff, the dub team) and stay up to date with the latest translations via Herms. It's a good place to be if you want to stay in the know, but not a good place to be if you want to have a serious conversation.

I would say I'm slightly addicted to Twitter. It's this crazy feedback loop that seems to amplify everything out of control. I don't like that, and I'm trying to cut back.
I too had been addicted to Dragon Ball Twitter. I deleted Twitter for this very reason. I occasionally check out Ajay's page and some art pages.
TKA wrote:That's not how language works. They're two different sentences. I have a problem with people posting youtube videos as if they're authoritative sources. I find dragonball youtubers to be some of the most ill-sourced, ill-informed and overall low-quality content creators out there (barring some exceptions, like the impeccable TeamFourStar).

I don't care what "Totally Not Mark" thinks, so it's kind of irrelevant to bring him up. Just state the argument he presented.
Alright, now you're just making a problem from nothing. Like Shaddy stated, I was just bringing up the video. I wasn't encouraging anyone to watch it either. I brought it up because I felt Totally Not Mark somewhat copy pasted my argument. Also the poor story boarding and panelling is a large issue of Toyo's manga and skills as a Mangaka succeeding Toriyama. I'm glad others began talking about it and wish it would be discussed more often.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:37 am

Bergamo wrote:
You're not wrong. But that's not what the kiddies want.

They want SUPER HYPED UP MEGA ULTRA BEAM SPLOSIONS WHERE GOKU IS THE WICKEDEST BADDEST MOTHER FUCKER WHO EVER LIVED AND OH MAH GOD DID VEGETA JUST GET A NEW FORM FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKING HYYYPED!!!

Which is fine. But--and I'm saying this despite knowing the reputation that DBZ has garnered over the years--that's not Dragon Ball.

Yes, Dragon Ball is absolutely that show where monkey men scream until their hair turns yellow, so all of that stuff is there. but it's also a show filled to the brim with memorable characters. Even since it's early, parody days, Dragon Ball was a character driven show. And you cared about them not because their involved in some five minute spectacle, but because of their character quirks and how they struggled when the odds were against them. That's especially true of Early DBZ.

To clarify, I'm not trying to be elitist, even though I'll probably come out sounding like it regardless. But I just think that DB in general is more than just simply energy beams and power ups. And I think that years upon years of youtube parodies (affectionate or otherwise) have for a lot of people filtered what DB/Z is to be this dumb, spectacle anime when I think it's so much more.

There is a reason why it's the basis for so many popular shonen that released since then, and theres a reason why people will keep recreating moments and scenes from DBZ.

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:02 am

TKA wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Did it not?
Nope.

DBZ Abridged does nothing better than the original. DBZ Abridged is a very good, very painstakingly-made love letter to the franchise, but it is not by any means better than the original. DBZA doesn't exist without the original.

Any idiot can rewrite something, but the creative spark needed to CREATE something from scratch, as well as all the elements needed to come together for that spark to become a fire is not something anyone can make happen.

To even suggest DBZA is better-written in any regard than the original series shows a profound lack of understanding of all the elements that are needed to come together. To suggest that a comedy show made for the internet is better than a time-tested drama show that had to meet standards and practices shows a worrying level of ignorance. I'm sure he did it for the clicks or whatever, but this kind of thinking undersells Akira Toriyama, and unfairly shits on TFS by comparing them to him.

It's not better. It's good in a different way. It's like comparing Deadpool to A Clockwork Orange (but worse since Deadpool is someone's creation from scratch and not a rewrite).
Shaddy wrote:That's an awfully minor thing to base such an absolutist opinion on.
That's not how language works. They're two different sentences. I have a problem with people posting youtube videos as if they're authoritative sources. I find dragonball youtubers to be some of the most ill-sourced, ill-informed and overall low-quality content creators out there (barring some exceptions, like the impeccable TeamFourStar).

I don't care what "Totally Not Mark" thinks, so it's kind of irrelevant to bring him up. Just state the argument he presented.
Doctor. wrote: He believes Toriyama is absolute and nobody who has ever touched or will touch Dragon Ball can do anything better than him, so his answer is consistent at least. Obtuse and ridiculous, but hey.
There aren't enough facepalm emojis in the world.

Don't answer for me, don't guess my stances and don't misrepresent my points.

I said Akira Toriyama's decisions with this franchise are absolute and must be adhered to. It's his creation. He has the right to do with it whatever he wishes, and those who play in his sandbox must adhere to what he laid out; otherwise, don't play in his sandbox and create your own. What's hard to grok about that?

I, then, further elucidated that a fan can choose to like whatever part of the franchise they want and dislike whatever they want, but your preferences as a fan means nothing in the grand scheme of things and absolutely shouldn't be a thing that hinders Toriyama from doing what Toriyama wants.

This will be my last post on this, as it ostensibly has nothing to do with the Dragonball Super manga.
It sure is easier to do since it's a rewrite, but it can still be better written. You haven't explained yet why DBZA didn't do better than the original in some aspects, all you said was: "it's a rewrite so it doesn't count" and then continued to brag about some irrelevant points.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:18 am

Ugh. I really don't like comparing DBZA and DBZ, largely because despite using the same material, they're both completely different entities. One is a classic example of a battle anime, the other started out as an affectionate parody that slowly transformed into an Archer-esque remake. So much of DBZA depends entirely on how you feel about the original series, that I don't think it's fair to say that one is better than the other.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Liquir wrote:Image

Don't know but thanks for that info.
Pokesamus217 wrote:
TKA wrote:I don’t care about what some youtuber has to say. Especially one who thinks the Abridged series did anything better than the original work.
So why does a guy having an opinion you don’t like completely invalidate his point? Especially if said opinion is something that has decent support backing it.
I hate how people try to hide behind "it's my opinion, therefore shielded from all scrutiny."
No, there is right and wrong still and that goes for tastes and opinions too, in certain realms where facts are standing.
Just cause a fanfic explores Krillin and 18's relationship where Toriyama did not, whose sole purpose is entertainment and not romantics doesn't make it better when the author wasn't driving for it in the first place.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:23 pm

What's this about a promotional manga? Does that mean the Super manga won't have the Broly material and it'll have its own non conclusive spin off like RoF? This is supposedly from Saikyo Jump.
Last edited by Xeztin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Dunno, but a lot of people are kind of jumping to the conclusion that the DBS manga will cover Broly at all. As far as I can recall, that was never explicitly confirmed.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Amir wrote:You haven't explained yet why DBZA didn't do better than the original in some aspects
Because I don't want to. To do so would be shitting on TFS through a comparison they themselves did not make, and I enjoy their work and personalities too much to do that.

It's common sense to see why you shouldn't compare them.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Xeztin wrote:What's this about a promotional manga? Does that mean the Super manga won't have the Broly material and it'll have its own non conclusive spin off like RoF?
Where's this from?

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm

LightBing wrote:
Xeztin wrote:What's this about a promotional manga? Does that mean the Super manga won't have the Broly material and it'll have its own non conclusive spin off like RoF?
Where's this from?
Apparently from Saikyo Jump, it's all over the internet but no translators yet. Surprised to be honest, :P
Hopefully it's not fake though some fan pages are claiming it is a Manga "Special" in December.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:00 pm

Xeztin wrote:Apparently from Saikyo Jump, it's all over the internet but no translators yet. Surprised to be honest,
Hopefully it's not fake though some fan pages are claiming it is a Manga "Special" in December.
Yeah after a quick search, I found some French translators claiming that. Mini special Manga to commemorate the movie on the 1st of December.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:01 pm

LightBing wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Apparently from Saikyo Jump, it's all over the internet but no translators yet. Surprised to be honest,
Yeah after a quick search, I found some French translators claiming that. Mini special Manga to commemorate the movie on the 1st of December.
If it's being published in Saikyo Jump, then that probably will have a different artist other than Toyotaro? I wonder if Toyotaro will adapt the movie himself?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Xeztin wrote:If it's being published in Saikyo Jump, then that probably will have a different artist other than Toyotaro? I wonder if Toyotaro will adapt the movie himself?
I wonder..., I guess if it's not too long Toyotarõ might be doing it. It would explain part of the drop-off in quality we've been getting since a few chapters back if he's working double.

Toyotarõ adapting the movie depends if they cancel the manga when the ToP ends. If they don't then it's pretty much guaranteed he will. T

his special chapter could be a lot of things, like a sequence of Kid Broly that won't appear in the movie and stuff like that, which while mostly irrelevant for the movie plot connects to it and will generate curiosity and hype.

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:18 pm

TKA wrote:
Amir wrote:You haven't explained yet why DBZA didn't do better than the original in some aspects
Because I don't want to. To do so would be shitting on TFS through a comparison they themselves did not make, and I enjoy their work and personalities too much to do that.

It's common sense to see why you shouldn't compare them.
So, despite being the one to bring up the idea that the abridged series isn’t better than the original series, to the point that you beleive that having that opinion completely invalidates the other opinion that people have. You aren’t actually gonna explain why it’s actually wrong.... joy.