Is there like a "secret" remaster of GT or something?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MrBenjamino_

Is there like a "secret" remaster of GT or something?

Post by MrBenjamino_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I was kinda bored so i went on http://dragonballgt.com/sagas/blackstar , and on the page they have high definition screenshots from each saga. They look like they were made like yesterday. Do you think they have new scans of all the series' but for some odd reason they aren't releasing it?

i actually really like GT

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is there like a "secret" remaster of GT or something?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Those are just high res cel scans
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:01 pm

Those "secret" screenshots are on the site for many years already.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MrBenjamino_

Post by MrBenjamino_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Those are just high res cel scans
oh right, good point lol. i was wondering why the "glowing" layer was missing

MrBenjamino_

Post by MrBenjamino_ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:21 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:Those "secret" screenshots are on the site for many years already.
i wasn't saying the screenshots were secret, i was asking if people thought there was like an unreleased remaster

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 pm

No but I hope we will get a remastered GT someday
Especially the Planet M2 episodes would look even better
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfqTtKYLjo
GT Fighter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:No but I hope we will get a remastered GT someday
Especially the Planet M2 episodes would look even better
The fact is, Toei have remastered the original 17 movies in HD from the original 35mm negatives, which is not new, but the Blu-Ray releases of this stuff in Japan start being put out next month, so it's still news.
The TV series' negatives would only be 16mm -- aside from a brief run of episodes in the Freeza arc -- but despite this, if the movies' remaster is successful, it's probably quite likely Toei would then go on to do the series using basically the same process. There's no deep analysis necessary for this line of thinking, it's really just common sense; for a 508-episode run(511 if you include the three TV specials), you'll want some method of testing the waters before jumping into a project like that. And for the 17 movies, it does seem a bit odd for them to just suddenly bring those out with no additional plans or ideas in the works for if those sell well.
So, while we have no official word on this, keep your eyes out and your fingers crossed.
That video is slightly outdated, a little overcomplicated, and riddled with inaccuracies... In fact, he specifically makes mention of the Toei movie masters not being what's being shown for the cinema screenings happening in the US, which I understand to be incorrect. There's also minor mistakes like "The original 19 movies", instead of the correct number of 17. He also mentions around the 2:44 mark that Funimation used "Third-generation S-VHS masters" for their remasters of the movies, which is incorrect, as S-VHS would be 480i domestic videotape, which could never be remastered in HD -- Funimation actually have proper 35mm film masters, but they are third- or fourth-generation prints, which means any film damage, dirt, etc. on the prints is baked in and must be painted out digitally(Toei's negatives, they'd be able to clean the film physically to remove all the dirt and such), and the dark detail is very poor, and there's a lot more grain, and the picture's overall a lot softer. So, yes Toei's negatives are an infinitely superior base to work off of for a HD remaster, but no, Funimation aren't working off of S-VHSes...
Around 5 minutes into the video you linked, Geekdom claims he's heard a source who discussed DB, Z, and GT getting HD remasters. I've talked to some people and have an idea of who he might have heard this from, and while they would be fairly credible, it's worth noting that even Geekdom himself only calls it a rumour, and for good reason; one guy, no matter how credible, saying he's heard talk of this and that, could easily just be a misunderstanding, or an extrapolation from this and that. So, I suggest just sticking to the "If they're doing the movies, they may do the series" logic,
Around 6 minutes in, Geekdom also talks about Toei posting pictures of things. I think he may have been corrected on this later on by Ajay and others, but as of this video, he was mistaken about this particular detail; the pictures Toei have been posting on Twitter and various other places are exactly what the picture from the first post of this thread was -- a high-quality cel scan.
And around 10 minutes in, he mentions Disney's work on their Blu-Ray remasters of their movies, which should not set any standard for quality.

I appreciate Geekdom's efforts to keep the fans informed and such, and if you're going to watch a Dragon Ball YouTuber, he's probably the one to watch for any of this kind of info, but always keep your wits about you; no one's perfect, and especially in Dragon Ball, misinformation is everywhere.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:05 pm

You'll have to wait and see if TOEI does a remaster of it otherwise no one else will, unless you'd be content with an upscale on Blu-ray.