Is Vegeta accountable?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:38 pm

When Vegeta arrived on Earth, even though he technically didn't cause death to anyone by his own hand, shouldn't he still be accountable for those who did die?
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Is Vegeta accountable?

Post by Lionel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Culpability of leadership. Vegeta was technically the acting commander of the forces who infiltrated Earth on that day. He endorsed and encouraged all of the atrocities that occurred. They may not have died by his own two physical hands, but it was by his will and militancy that their lives were lost. So yes, I feel he should be held responsible for the deaths that occurred.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

When people can be wished back to life so easily, murder isn't really as serious of a crime.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:When people can be wished back to life so easily, murder isn't really as serious of a crime.
Except those people who were killed during the Saiyan invasion were never wished back. So I'd say that them staying dead other than the Z-fighter renders Vegeta's, Nappa's, and to a lesser extent Raditz, as being held accountable for those deaths.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:06 am

I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 am

Hulk10 wrote:I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
Well it's really no worse than assault, if the effects aren't permanent.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:34 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
I personally disagree but that's just me.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
He didn't intend to wish anyone back. Dragon Balls are exception, not the rule
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 am

If it was Nappa's doing with Vegeta not there at the time, then not really, but that didn't really happen. He was his leader and allowed all of it to happen and even had fun watching the group get murdered. He's just as guilty as Nappa was for the deaths of everyone involved.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:28 am

He became Goku's ally, so he is no longer accountable for his multiple horrible war crimes. The same thing goes for Freeza. He was resurrected because he finally did a good action in his life for once, completely disregarding the trillions of innocent lives that he ruined, and the many more that will come, since he doesn't plan to end his evil ways. If Freeza kills any innocent after his resurrection (and he probably will because he is a sadistic psycopath who revels in evil), then the blood of those innocents are on the hands of Beerus, Whis and Goku too.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:06 am

Of course he is. He commanded Nappa to attack the Z-Warriors. If I pay an assassin to kill somebody, I'm as responsable as him of the murderer.
That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am

wolflonnie wrote:That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.
Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:36 pm

But he stays silently into background while main cast pat Vegeta's back.
Honestly I don't like the motive that redemption or acceptance means instant forgiveness. Back in my Star Wars days I've seen lots of posts how Leia was an awful person for not forgetting that Vader was genocidal maniac the moment Luke told her that he changes in last minute. .
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 pm

He is accountable.

Now whether he has truly redeemed himself is another matter.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:That said, naturally the fact that he didn't directly kill anybody made it easier for the Z-Warriors to eventually forgive him.
It isn't shown, it's more a TFS kind.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:34 pm

wolflonnie wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
It's shown. He still doubts Vegeta.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
wolflonnie wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Tenshinhan never truly forgave Vegeta for what happened during the Saiyan arc.
It's shown. He still doubts Vegeta.
I find it weird that Tenshinhan is made to look bad in that scene. He has a right to distrust Vegeta. Vegeta has a history of turning on his allies if the situation suits him, even Bulma (see Buu arc). Who's to say he wouldn't decide against it. Not only that, he only likes Goku around because it challenges his abilities; if Goku fell far behind, would Vegeta care to stick around and/or defend his friends?
DragonBallFoodie wrote:He is accountable.

Now whether he has truly redeemed himself is another matter.
Wouldn't accountability mean he cannot be redeemed?
I disagree with the idea that murder is not a serious crime when one can wish the victims back so easily.
The earthlings killed during the Saiyan invasion, other than the Z-fighters, were never wished back.

Apslup
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Apslup » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Yeah, since he was Nappa's superior and the leader of the Saiyan Invasion of Earth. Also because when he fought Goku he intended on destroying the Planet, killing everyone on it.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Attitudefan wrote:Wouldn't accountability mean Vegeta cannot be redeemed?
I'd take it to mean he has to work for his redemption.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:55 pm

That country-sized area that Nappa blew up was never revived.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.