"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm

January 8th.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:January 8th.

Called the green and Zamasu

Wasn't getting on fused Zamasu though

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Also despite being mostly filler, this makes the first set that marks a clean break in arcs

Every other arc has had it's last episode/climax on a set that starts another one

Even the TOP will have to have an extra episode on set 10 to fit

On a second, more personal, slightly unrelated note, this is the second time now a Super set has dropped within weeks of both a Jojo and Hunter X Hunter bluray. Oof

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:January 8th.
Nice
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Also despite being mostly filler, this makes the first set that marks a clean break in arcs

Every other arc has had it's last episode/climax on a set that starts another one

Even the TOP will have to have an extra episode on set 10 to fit

On a second, more personal, slightly unrelated note, this is the second time now a Super set has dropped within weeks of both a Jojo and Hunter X Hunter bluray. Oof

Nevermind, turns out I'd been doing the math wrong, there are technically two ToP episodes in this one
There are no clean arc breaks on any set in this series

Are the Japanese blurays released in 13 episode batches too? because I have to wonder if it was intentional
Especially with the first three where the climaxes were always a single episode off

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:12 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:Are the Japanese blurays released in 13 episode batches too? because I have to wonder if it was intentional
Especially with the first three where the climaxes were always a single episode off
The Japanese Blu-Rays have 12 episodes per set, so they should have one more set than Funi.

I wouldn't say its intentional as Super has been very much a create on the go product, but its good for sales in retrospect.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Hey look, an English cover of Boogie Back that's obviously not as good or catchy as the original Japanese version.
Caulifla best girl! :)

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 pm

Sonny did a wonderful job on tonight's episode. Also, this was first showing of Boogie Back right? I thought it sounded fine but I hate how the song is always cut down.

Edit: I saw a comment on YT that I agreed with. The first note of the dub of Boogie Back throws me off too. The higher pitch is too loud, the lower note was how it was done in Jap.
Last edited by DainIronfoot on Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 pm

I really liked Megami33’s cover of Boogie Back but obviously they weren’t gonna get her, so RIP. The official dub version isn’t that good but it could be much worse https://youtu.be/z8mvzHIrIKw

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:52 am

The Australian Super Collection 1 now has cover art representing the antagonists of the 4 arcs contained in the set. https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... llection-1
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:54 pm

Episode 84 was just as lovely and wholesome in English. I'm not the biggest fan of Meredith McCoy's 18 but she pulled her weight fine, and Sonny Strait is as good as always. I believe next week we're getting Fit Buu, Dyspo and Khaseral.

That Boogie Back cover is, uh, not great. Maybe the full version will be better, but I'm biased by the number of better covers we got. It was too much to hope they'd use Megami33's version.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Was happy to hear Laurie Steele again in the flashback. Then gagged once I heard Clinkenbeard's Goku. Never before have I gone from a state of well-being to despair in such a short amount of time.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:37 am

Big Boss wrote:Was happy to hear Laurie Steele again in the flashback. Then gagged once I heard Clinkenbeard's Goku. Never before have I gone from a state of well-being to despair in such a short amount of time.
Yeah I'll never understand taking Clinkenbeard's Goku over Nadolny's. At least you could say she was unique if you weren't a fan, Clinkenbeard sounds so similar to Luffy or Ash's recent voice actor from Pokemon, just very generic and overly rough.

Forgot how nice the animation was for that brief period in the Goku Krillin fight, Goku was breakdancing like no tomorrow. Pretty standard episode for Dub's but Sonny Strait nailed it and definitely loved hearing original young Krillin. A few posts ago someone knocked McCoy's 18 and I think I can see your reasoning, but personally it's another unique voice that does a very good job conveying insert fancy word for not caring about anything but what you really care about here. She's just so cold and steely and I love 18's character throughout Super for what little she is there.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 am

Colleen Clinkenbeard is a solid actress and I won't hear a bad word said against her, especially compared to Nadolny, who was terrible.

That being said I get the criticism of casting her as kid Goku, since it feels very placeholder. She's made the role of kid Gohan her own, but kid Goku has been kind of an afterthought. Ideally they'd have found a different actor to play him after Nadolny left, but it wasn't necessary since he mainly appears in flashbacks. If there's ever an excuse to redub DB or GT, it would be good to get someone new and distinct. Colleen herself has said she's exhausted her range in DB after playing Future Mai, plus she'd be busy enough with MHA, One Piece and her millions of other Funimation roles as it is.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:26 am

Kataphrut wrote:Colleen Clinkenbeard is a solid actress and I won't hear a bad word said against her, especially compared to Nadolny, who was terrible.

That being said I get the criticism of casting her as kid Goku, since it feels very placeholder. She's made the role of kid Gohan her own, but kid Goku has been kind of an afterthought. Ideally they'd have found a different actor to play him after Nadolny left, but it wasn't necessary since he mainly appears in flashbacks. If there's ever an excuse to redub DB or GT, it would be good to get someone new and distinct. Colleen herself has said she's exhausted her range in DB after playing Future Mai, plus she'd be busy enough with MHA, One Piece and her millions of other Funimation roles as it is.
Is Colleen the one who replaced Gohans voice in Kai? If so, I have to disagree with you. I’m on the extreme opposite end. I hate her voice for Gohan. Everyone has different tastes though.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 am

TheOne wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Colleen Clinkenbeard is a solid actress and I won't hear a bad word said against her, especially compared to Nadolny, who was terrible.

Is Colleen the one who replaced Gohans voice in Kai? If so, I have to disagree with you. I’m on the extreme opposite end. I hate her voice for Gohan. Everyone has different tastes though.
Yep, she is the Kai English voice of Gohan and the only good one in my opinion. And here's the thing, I grew up watching DBZ in early 2000s and had every reason to be nostalgic for awful smoker voice Gohan. But the first time I heard Colleen's Gohan, which I believe was actually in Xenoverse 1, it sounded instantly right to me. I didn't adore it, but I thought "oh cool, they have a proper voice for Gohan now." And I can't go back and listen to the old one any more. It's the same level of cringe as Linda Young Freeza.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 am

Kataphrut wrote:
TheOne wrote:

Yep, she is the Kai English voice of Gohan and the only good one in my opinion. And here's the thing, I grew up watching DBZ in early 2000s and had every reason to be nostalgic for awful smoker voice Gohan. But the first time I heard Colleen's Gohan, which I believe was actually in Xenoverse 1, it sounded instantly right to me. I didn't adore it, but I thought "oh cool, they have a proper voice for Gohan now." And I can't go back and listen to the old one any more. It's the same level of cringe as Linda Young Freeza.
I’ve gotteb use to the new Frieza, even though I was a big fan of Linda Young as Frieza and Genkai. It doesn’t bother me. The only changes that still bother me are Bulma and Gohan. Obviously can’t do anything about it though. It is what it is.
How i predict the tournament will end:

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:40 am

SO.. I never ever really complain about the Dub, I like it, I adore the english dub and the Japanese voices equally. That being said, for the first time ever I'll note something about Schemmel's Goku that has been bothering me as of late. Well in recent material Sean has been doing this sort of "Roar like" yell when he's powering up as Goku. While it sounds pretty cool on its own, he's using it WAY TOO OFTEN, to the point where its losing its punch so to speak. It's great for moments like the Kaio-Ken Blue debut or the Rage Out against Black or his Desperate Assault on Merged Zamasu that cripples his arms, but it isn't necessary for every little time Goku charges up like when he finished off Freeza in "F" or powering up for Sport like against Toppo or Bergamo! He powers up to Blue A LOT in the Tournament and in the scouting episodes. If he continues his RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAARRRRRRRR!!! every single time Goku does something, it isn't gonna feel special at all by the time we get to the Sliding Kamehameha against Kefla or the Rage Out against Jiren at the end of the Tournament.

Hell he even does this in the Broly trailer that has Goku go regular Super Saiyan to charge against Broly, hardly necessary. Especially for a trailer.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:13 am

Id love to have a good debate about this man. Maybe you can show me some roles outside of db where she excels. Her kid goku to me is increidbly bad and i hated her 18 as well, it was so bland. Gohan i didnt like at first but i think she did well with the character and i dont mind it now.

So yeah show me some good roles and explain exactly what about her performances are so good and maybe why you dont like nadolny? I love her kid goku.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm

I like Colleen and I adore her Luffy.

But I don’t like her Gohan, but I learned to tolerate it, although I think she butchered Super Saiyan 2 Gohan in Kai. However, despised her Goku so much that it’s one of the few voices that makes me want to switch to sub.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.