Japanese Amazon

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Japanese Amazon

Post by uzuni » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 am

Does anyone know the means by which to purchase from Japanese Amazon if you're living outside of Japan?

I was told I'd need a credit card issued by the Bank of Japan.

Surely there's another way.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Japanese Amazon

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:10 am

I ordered my OG Dragon Box from Amazon Japan and it automatically did the currency conversion.

For delivery outside of Japan (which the seller didn't offer), I made an account at a site called Tenso. They give you a personal address space in Tokyo and for a fee they'll ship anything you get there to practically any location in the world. Very handy!

uzuni
Beyond Newbie

Post by uzuni » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:24 am

I'm trying to buy certain videos from Amazon Prime Japan (the DBZ films, for example), and it's not accepting my non-Japanese credit card.

I'll try Tenso.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:21 pm

You can probably find some websites out there selling Amazon Japan gift cards.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:46 pm

uzuni wrote:Does anyone know the means by which to purchase from Japanese Amazon if you're living outside of Japan?

I was told I'd need a credit card issued by the Bank of Japan.

Surely there's another way.
Back in the mid-2000s, I'd often use this site to order from Japanese shopping sites and auctions:

https://www.rinkya.com/en#

Basically you just set up an account and make your purchases through them. You have to pay them for the shipping fee (which can be a bit higher than usual, since its from Japan), and they essentially act as a middleman/go-between to get your order paid and sent to you wherever you happen to live.

I admittedly haven't used their service in quite a long awhile, but back in the day when I did they were always 100% reliable and totally trustworthy. A very, very useful service.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Buying from Amazon Japan is no big deal, I just use my credit card as usual. But Amazon Japan Video? You'd have to use a VPN.

I'd recommend Windscribe VPN, which I've been using and works flawlessly with all locations I've used so far. They offer 10GB p/m for free users.

EDIT

Might be useful to mention you can use the Revolut card which is fee-free and virtual/physical. It's available on Android and iOS. I've used it personally to make some transfers and liked it.