"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:57 pm

Past year or so I have been indifferent on Yamamuro but any signs of improvement he shows he then regresses. With the influence of Takahashi and him actually supervising him and all this Shintani movie stuff you'd think he'd wake the f**k up but nope instead he's regressed to basically 2015 Yamamuro even more and his promo art is as horrible as ever, what was that V Jump cover? Paid promotion art, yet Takahashi throws a fun sketch and somehow his Vegetto is 10x better. Yamamuro isn't shackled with the excuse of being a CD for an actual show where one might excuse phoned out promo art. Oh my life those recent BD covers...

I absolutely want him gone from this franchise, he is still a blight on it.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm

TheOne wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: The highlights will always be the worst thing about Yamamuro's current style, but seems like he will never understand that skins don't shine like that.
keep this man away from anything dragonball.
I’m so glad guys like you all have no say in the production of these videos. This looks perfectly fine.
This guy gets it. I like this guy. I am with "The One" on this, Yamamuro's designs are consistent and that too me is "key to good Dragon Ball art." I rather have a "shiny" Son Goku that looks like Goku than various art styles for the sake of "freshness."
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 am

Sigh, with some valid criticisms of the new movie going around, a lot of people's defense lately has been to just bash ol Yammy. Apparently a video is in the works by a content creator who I'm sure we all know, which is only going to ignite more bashing. We have those who just have their standard viewpoints of Yam, which is fine...but more and more I'm seeing the trolls appear everywhere. This subject is very sensitive and some people (not all) can't seem to grasp that there are people out there that still admire/like his work.

I can't wait til another trailer is released/the movie comes out which will hopefully lessen the talk about Yammy and instead focus on the work of the movie. There's been more Yammy talk lately than the movie itself --.--

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yamamuro's take on the movie.....

https://youtu.be/cSIqffYOVr4
How.....interesting. I guess we should glad that Shintani is here to save us from this.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Apparently a video is in the works by a content creator who I'm sure we all know, which is only going to ignite more bashing.
If you're talking about me, then that's not true. I have zero interest in addressing anything Yamamuro-related in video form unless there's a good reason to. The most you'll see from me are off-hand tweets or comments. He has zero relevance anymore.

If he comes back for Super 2.0 or something, then sure, but otherwise he's essentially just turned into iffy promo artist #32132, and I really could not care less.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Ajay wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Apparently a video is in the works by a content creator who I'm sure we all know, which is only going to ignite more bashing.
If you're talking about me, then that's not true. I have zero interest in addressing anything Yamamuro-related in video form unless there's a good reason to. The most you'll see from me are off-hand tweets or comments. He has zero relevance anymore.

If he comes back for Super 2.0 or something, then sure, but otherwise he's essentially just turned into iffy promo artist #32132, and I really could not care less.
Well the video I'm referring to is the one from our lad, Danny. I saw that he mentioned your name to be in it but my comment was not specifically directed at you, Ajay. I already know your stances on Yamamuro and while I disagree with many points, I respect your opinion because it's not just hot air bashing for the sake of it, there's actually valid criticism. I've mentioned this before as well ;)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Well the video I'm referring to is the one from our lad, Danny. I saw that he mentioned your name to be in it but my comment was not specifically directed at you, Ajay. I already know your stances on Yamamuro and while I disagree with many points, I respect your opinion because it's not just hot air bashing for the sake of it, there's actually valid criticism. I've mentioned this before as well ;)
Oh yeah, he just tweeted that to try and convince me it's something people wanted to see, and while it seems it is, I'm just not the least bit interested in diving into it all again. I feel like my Super Supervisors video and various Takahashi stuff has covered that to the point of having literally nothing left to say.

Shintani's in charge now. In my head, I already "won" the battle, so unless something changes, all is well in the Dragon Ball animation world. :D
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Ajay wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Well the video I'm referring to is the one from our lad, Danny. I saw that he mentioned your name to be in it but my comment was not specifically directed at you, Ajay. I already know your stances on Yamamuro and while I disagree with many points, I respect your opinion because it's not just hot air bashing for the sake of it, there's actually valid criticism. I've mentioned this before as well ;)
Oh yeah, he just tweeted that to try and convince me it's something people wanted to see, and while it seems it is,I'm just not the least bit interested in diving into it all again. I feel like my Super Supervisors video and various Takahashi stuff has covered that to point of having literally nothing left to say.

Shintani's in charge now. In my head, I already "won" the battle, so unless something changes, all is well in the Dragon Ball animation world. :D
I dislike that style. I don't think all is well at all. But whatever.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:52 pm

I like what i see in the trailers, it's rather promising, but i wait untill i've seen the full movie to make a real opinion about the new art- and animation style.
Concerning Yamamuro: whether you like his style or not, the man has put a lot efforts and dedication in DBZ and DBS, so has my respect for doing that.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:I like what i see in the trailers, it's rather promising, but i wait untill i've seen the full movie to make a real opinion about the new art- and animation style.
Concerning Yamamuro: whether you like his style or not, the man has put a lot efforts and dedication in DBZ and DBS, so has my respect for doing that.
He has a lot of people’s respect. What you’re seeing here is the 1% of the fan base complaining. Completely forgetting that we were wanting more dragon ball content for years.
How i predict the tournament will end:

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 pm

GTx10 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
keep this man away from anything dragonball.
I’m so glad guys like you all have no say in the production of these videos. This looks perfectly fine.
This guy gets it. I like this guy. I am with "The One" on this, Yamamuro's designs are consistent and that too me is "key to good Dragon Ball art." I rather have a "shiny" Son Goku that looks like Goku than various art styles for the sake of "freshness."
That disgusting shine combined with stiff looking battles and muted expressions like in that clip? No thanks.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:05 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
That disgusting shine combined with stiff looking battles and muted expressions like in that clip? No thanks.
The shine is an artistic choice. Like the e-elongated limbs of Tate. But the "stiff" battles are time tested to work, always stick with Tradition. And bull! Yamamuro can make these characters emote, they may not be over done like you see in One Piece but Yamamuro's art does and can emote.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:14 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Dragon Ball battles consist of 80% invisible clashes and looped "swift punch and kick" attacks or if they have a good day very swiftly "better visible clashes" and the remaining 20% is a really worthwhile watchable battle. It does not matter how those 80% are drawn because its is nothing one can see anyway any only exists for awesomeness so the watcher is amazed by this incredible power while in reality not even watching anything really happening.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:11 pm

As disappointed as I was no SSGSS Goku bang... Hair overall is vastly better and I do like front bangs!

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:27 pm

Cetra wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
Dragon Ball battles consist of 80% invisible clashes and looped "swift punch and kick" attacks or if they have a good day very swiftly "better visible clashes" and the remaining 20% is a really worthwhile watchable battle. It does not matter how those 80% are drawn because its is nothing one can see anyway any only exists for awesomeness so the watcher is amazed by this incredible power while in reality not even watching anything really happening.
Na.

Even if its just looped animation of punches and kicks back and forth, the how good the art looks is important
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:18 am

GTx10 wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
The shine is an artistic choice. Like the e-elongated limbs of Tate. But the "stiff" battles are time tested to work, always stick with Tradition. And bull! Yamamuro can make these characters emote, they may not be over done like you see in One Piece but Yamamuro's art does and can emote.
Tate using squash and stretch, a fundamental principle of animation, in his work, is a bit different from using highlights, which really serve no purpose more often than not in Yamamuro's work, other than to make the characters look glossy.

Sticking with tradition is bad when it means that every single contemporary around you is now light years ahead, and especially if what the tradition upheld wasn't particularly great to begin with. Being fairly limited animation wise may have served DB well back in the 80's and 90's(even though I know a lot of people would argue it actually didn't), but moving and advancing with the times can was definitely something DB needed, though from the vibe I'm getting from some people here, they would rather DB remained constricted to out dated and limited conceptions of what the series could be visually. This isn't the 80's and 90's anymore. DB, in this modern times, has the opportunity to do and be better, I don't necessarily see how people are opposed to that idea...

Also, Yamamuro can make the characters emote, no ones denying that, but how he makes the characters emote often lacks any kind of real ferocity or power to it, even in comparison to literally everything that came before. How Yam makes the characters emote feels very subdued, even if for what are supposed to be, extremely intense expressions.
Cetra wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
GTx10 wrote:
Again, new movie, new visuals, and how the franchise looks is absolutely important. I don't even remotely understand where you're getting this idea from that what the characters look like is irrelevant.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:34 am

JazzMazz wrote:Again, new movie, new visuals, and how the franchise looks is absolutely important. I don't even remotely understand where you're getting this idea from that what the characters look like is irrelevant.
Then you are one of those people who do not read the posts they reply to. The answer was in there.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Cetra wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:Again, new movie, new visuals, and how the franchise looks is absolutely important. I don't even remotely understand where you're getting this idea from that what the characters look like is irrelevant.
Then you are one of those people who do not read the posts they reply to. The answer was in there.
Look man, I think that if you liked the old visuals then there is no problem with that but I think we should be still civil to each other.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:02 am

Cetra wrote:
I did read it. Again, new movie, new approach to action. That's something that has been explicitly stated multiple times in interviews and the such. Don't expect typical DB action.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:11 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:As disappointed as I was no SSGSS Goku bang... Hair overall is vastly better and I do like front bangs!
The banana bang?