Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:52 pm

Stoked these might be getting re-released on Blu-Ray.. been running out of things to buy recently :D

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)
The original Blu-ray release of the TV specials were tied to the movies, as opposed to the series. I wouldn't call it atypical.
The "original Blu-ray release" as you put it came from Funi, not Toei.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)
The original Blu-ray release of the TV specials were tied to the movies, as opposed to the series. I wouldn't call it atypical.
As pointed out by Danfun, that's a Funimation release, not Toei.

Toei have always put the specials alongside the series, aside from the Special Selection DVD, which was little more than a fresh encode of the Dragon Box masters of those specials which was released at the same time as the DVD single reissues of the series Dragon Box DVDs...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Is anybody here planning on importing the Japanese Blu-rays?
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
From Toei's Twitter.

This does not look like a cel scan. I would say this is film. I would say that Toei have remastered the Bardock special, and will be showing that version at the cinema screenings happening in the USA. And furthermore, I would say that it is atypical for Toei to release the specials outside of the context of the relevant series... Make of that what you will. :)
That shit looks good. If FUNimation wasn't always dicking around with their remasters we wouldn't have to wait so long to have Dragon Ball correctly remastered in high definition.

The TOEI Movie Blu-rays are the commence of something extraordinary for the franchise.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm

sumpter360 wrote:Is anybody here planning on importing the Japanese Blu-rays?
No. I'm being really really hopeful that FUNimation brings them over and doesn't touch them outside of adding subtitles and the dub I guess. I've spent enough money importing. :lolno:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Forte224 wrote:
No. I'm being really really hopeful that FUNimation brings them over and doesn't touch them outside of adding subtitles and the dub I guess. I've spent enough money importing. :lolno:
The Kai Blu-rays were mostly the same as the Japanese but wasn't the brightness pumped up?

It'd be great if FUNimation redubbed the movies because they didn't do a very good job back then. And the way Schemmel said Kaioh-ken? Ugh.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 pm

I've got all of November's on pre-order right now. Worst case scenario, I can try to sell them if Funimation releases their own version.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
The Kai Blu-rays were mostly the same as the Japanese but wasn't the brightness pumped up?
Not intentionally, and even then, only to a barely noticeable degree. That slight "pump-up" in brightness is attributable to a very, very slight difference in how video signals are transmitted to Japanese TVs VS North American TVs. Even FUNimation's release of the Dragon Boxes were slightly brighter than the original Japanese Dragon Boxes, despite FUNimation not touching or altering the videos in any direct way (I say "direct" to note that, if you really want to be picky, the video quality was downgraded ever-so-slightly as the result of adding an extra episode per disc, along with the inclusion of a dub audio track...but even in screenshots, the downgrade is not super-easy to spot, never mind a casual viewing). As Mike noted in an article comparing the two...
VegettoEX, [url=http://www.kanzenshuu.com/features/dragon-box-z-the-comparison/]in an article comparing the Dragon Boxes[/url], wrote:Those who have seen the original Japanese releases will notice that the FUNimation set is brighter. While FUNimation has a history of making adjustments to various aspects of their releases before, such as brightness, contrast, color saturation, and sharpness, it appears that this change is actually due to differences in the NTSC standards for North America and Japan. In North America, the “black” reference level is slightly higher than that which is used in Japan, which would explain why the Japanese Dragon Boxes are slightly darker than the domestic release. The corollary impact of this is that there is a slight change in the colors.
The difference is slight enough that, if it's really a deal-breaker, a slight adjustment to one's TV's settings would be all that's needed to correct it. Personally, I'm an audiophile, not a videophile, so as long as the difference isn't noticeable in a casual viewing, that's good enough for me.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:31 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdNuT0u8ww

Can't tell how good it looks on a small smartphone screen but this seems like TOEI's work. It's in 4x3 AR!

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:43 pm

That needs a Blu-ray release, ASAP.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdNuT0u8ww

Can't tell how good it looks on a small smartphone screen but this seems like TOEI's work. It's in 4x3 AR!
Even on YouTube you can see a huge difference.. this is going to look amazing.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:03 pm

LordCrumb wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdNuT0u8ww

Even on YouTube you can see a huge difference.. this is going to look amazing.
That's if I was using the YouTube app, on the browser it streams videos on standard definition (480p) quality which I'm fine with.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:53 am

Some 1080p screenshots of this.

Note that since this is from a streamed online clip uploaded to Imgur, the picture will be very blurry and blocky compared to what would be on a Blu-Ray or a Netflix stream...

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:the picture will be very blurry
Well, that's how YouTube compressed video are. The Bardock TV-Special trailer is a rough sample of what we can expect if TOEI remasters the series too.

This needs to be released on Blu-ray. :)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:00 am

Downloaded the YouTube video in 1080p and here are some screenshots, uncropped (Robo4900 cropped the black bars from his for some reason). Obviously, this doesn't come close to what it would look like if it was on Blu-ray or on Amazon/iTunes/Netflix. It gives people an idea of what to expect.

Imgur went down the shitter ever since they tried to be a wannabe Facebook/Twitter/Instagram so now they compress the images even more than they used to before.

Anyway, the comment section on this YouTube's video is hilarious, there are some who think the original music is missing, this has been around for 20 years, and that this isn't an exclusive clip. :lol:

EDIT: PostImg downsized the screens to 720p. Whatever the hoster, they all screw it up one way or another. It's free hosting, after all.
Last edited by JohnnyCashKami on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:02 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Downloaded the YouTube video in 1080p and here are some screenshots, uncropped (Robo4900 cropped the black bars from his for some reason). Obviously, this doesn't come close to what it would look like if it was on Blu-ray or on Amazon/iTunes/Netflix. It gives people an idea of what to expect.
[snip]
Imgur went down the shitter ever since they tried to be a wannabe Facebook/Twitter/Instagram so now they compress the images even more than they used to before.

Anyway, the comment section on this YouTube's video is hilarious, there are some who think the original music is missing, this has been around for 20 years, and that this isn't an exclusive clip. :lol:
Your screenshots are messed up; the black level has been massively turned up, which washes out the images really badly. And you left the black bars in at the sides unnecessarily, which wastes space. And you didn't encase them in a spoiler, so they take up tons of space on the page. And they're not 1080p, meaning not only is the resolution significantly lower, but the lower bitrate means your screenshots are significantly blurrier and blockier than the screenshots I took...

As for the music... Funny thing is, this clip includes Solid State Scouter... Wasn't that missing from previous releases of Funi's dub of the special?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:06 am

Robo4900 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Downloaded the YouTube video in 1080p and here are some screenshots, uncropped (Robo4900 cropped the black bars from his for some reason). Obviously, this doesn't come close to what it would look like if it was on Blu-ray or on Amazon/iTunes/Netflix. It gives people an idea of what to expect.
[snip]

Your screenshots are messed up; the black level has been massively turned up, which washes out the images really badly. And you left the black bars in at the sides unnecessarily, which wastes space. And you didn't encase them in a spoiler, so they take up tons of space on the page. And they're not 1080p...

As for the music... Funny thing is, this clip includes Solid State Scouter... Wasn't that missing from previous releases of Funi's dub of the special?
The screens were originally in 1080p but the hoster downsized it to 720p. As for the black bars, leave them where they are and if you got a problem with it then I guess you'll stretch the image to fill the entire screen.

Now, the music? You sort of pirate everything so you don't know what FUNimation releases have? lol.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:46 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:The screens were originally in 1080p but the hoster downsized it to 720p. As for the black bars, leave them where they are and if you got a problem with it then I guess you'll stretch the image to fill the entire screen.
You've completely missed the point here. He was saying that keeping the black bars in the screenshots is just inflating the file size for no reason, which in turn makes these issues with the file host compressing the images worse. Because there's now a good 25% of the data in those image files wasted on literally nothing.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 am

Robo4900 wrote:As for the music... Funny thing is, this clip includes Solid State Scouter... Wasn't that missing from previous releases of Funi's dub of the special?
No, the Double Feature release had it in the dub.

This seems like the same audio mix too, because the music is very quiet.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash