"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by majinwarman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:15 pm

https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 0070000640
Looks like the movie is finished and is apparently really good.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:13 pm

majinwarman wrote:https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 0070000640
Looks like the movie is finished and is apparently really good.
Visually it may be, the writing however is the big problem. I'm not seeing a coworker to come out and say the movie sucks, even if it did though.
Nagamine is one of my favourite directors, but to say he's the only one at Toei who can make Dragon ball is going overboard.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Nobody was jumping at the chance to say that Fukkatsu no F was great. Or Kami to Kami, really. This is an improvement.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:53 am

JulieYBM wrote:Nobody was jumping at the chance to say that Fukkatsu no F was great. Or Kami to Kami, really. This is an improvement.
Exactly. This is a way more positive vibe going on than before.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Nobody was jumping at the chance to say that Fukkatsu no F was great. Or Kami to Kami, really. This is an improvement.
Torishima said F was great.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yamamuro's take on the movie.....

https://youtu.be/cSIqffYOVr4
That doesn't look bad at all, but I still prefer the current style of this new movie. Though Shintani still feels a bit too cartoony for my tastes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Didn't know where else to say this, but good lord, after re-watching DBZ Movie 7, I have to say that it is probably the worst looking DB film in the franchise. Sheesh.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Didn't know where else to say this, but good lord, after re-watching DBZ Movie 7, I have to say that it is probably the worst looking DB film in the franchise. Sheesh.
Yeah, that movie was very rough around the edges animation wise.

I liked the general art style, but it wasn't well done on a whole at all.

Thankfully this movie shouldn't suffer that pitfall. :lol:
Doctor. wrote:
Torishima said the script for F was great, he didn't actually watch the movie.

There is also a matter of speciality. Takashi Otsuka is a fantastic director who knows his stuff about film making.
Last edited by JazzMazz on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:51 am

JazzMazz wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Didn't know where else to say this, but good lord, after re-watching DBZ Movie 7, I have to say that it is probably the worst looking DB film in the franchise. Sheesh.

Doctor. wrote:

There is also a matter of speciality. Takashi Otsuka is a fantastic director who knows his stuff about film making.
The script is, by far, the most important part about any movie.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:21 am

Disagree. It's definitely important to have an at least competent one, but tons of movies and shows ride off mediocre or even awful scripts only to be saved by their direction. Hell that's the only reason anyone watched Attack on Titan, myself included.

Not to say this film is necessarily an automatic shoe-in or anything, but when I think of, say, the lack of tension and progression in RoF, I see it as not only Toriyama keeping people several times stronger than the villain right next to the action in plain sight and not conveying what's special about the new forms, but also Yamamuro not making any dramatic camera movements or framing, failing to convey emotion through color or character acting, and the fight just generally not ramping up in scale or consequence until Freeza starts cheating, at which point it stops even really being a fight anymore anyway.

I honestly don't think RoF would be seen as that bad a film if it had someone like Nagamine on board. Toriyama's script wasn't really great, especially compared to Battle of Gods, but this has never been a series I came to for the spectacular and consistent writing, whereas strong direction making what good story beats there are (and even some bad story beats) feel all the more impactful has been a staple of the anime from the beginning.

The point is, good and bad directors have both made and broken this series before, and I think having this one is gonna be a massive boon for this film. It's not like the director has no creative control over things anyway, we might see stuff that Toriyama didn't even plan himself (I mean, he never plans things but y'know).

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:38 am

Doctor. wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

Doctor. wrote: Torishima said F was great.

The script is, by far, the most important part about any movie.
A script is a base, and while it can be interesting and engaging in its own right, if its not properly conveyed or executed through direction, it ultimately looses any potential impact it could have.

To put it easier terms, no novel is great simply for the story it tries to tell and the messages it tries to convey, what makes a novel or story great is how it uses language to resonate its meaning to a reader. Same sort of idea applies to film as well.

Shaddy's post is good.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 am

Shaddy wrote:Disagree. It's definitely important to have an at least competent one, but tons of movies and shows ride off mediocre or even awful scripts only to be saved by their direction. Hell that's the only reason anyone watched Attack on Titan, myself included.

Not to say this film is necessarily an automatic shoe-in or anything, but when I think of, say, the lack of tension and progression in RoF, I see it as not only Toriyama keeping people several times stronger than the villain right next to the action in plain sight and not conveying what's special about the new forms, but also Yamamuro not making any dramatic camera movements or framing, failing to convey emotion through color or character acting, and the fight just generally not ramping up in scale or consequence until Freeza starts cheating, at which point it stops even really being a fight anymore anyway.

I honestly don't think RoF would be seen as that bad a film if it had someone like Nagamine on board. Toriyama's script wasn't really great, especially compared to Battle of Gods, but this has never been a series I came to for the spectacular and consistent writing, whereas strong direction making what good story beats there are (and even some bad story beats) feel all the more impactful has been a staple of the anime from the beginning.

The point is, good and bad directors have both made and broken this series before, and I think having this one is gonna be a massive boon for this film. It's not like the director has no creative control over things anyway, we might see stuff that Toriyama didn't even plan himself (I mean, he never plans things but y'know).
I mostly agree with everything you say except I think BoG had just as bad as a script. Both those films weren't well directed I feel too. So that's why those comments about this film's directing as me really excited!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:58 am

JazzMazz wrote: Yeah, that movie was very rough around the edges animation wise.

If nothing else it looks like they're doing some very interesting color and camerawork in the new movie. Trailer 2 was full of neat shots.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Noah wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yamamuro's take on the movie.....

https://youtu.be/cSIqffYOVr4
That doesn't look bad at all, but I still prefer the current style of this new movie. Though Shintani still feels a bit too cartoony for my tastes.
Stop posting that video link as if everyone’s going to agree with you that “the animation sucks”. It looks great.

Goodness. Stop complaining about dragon ball content. People spent years wanting more, and now that you have more you want to complain about style of animation.

Some things are worth complaining about due to poor execution. But don’t just assume that just because of you and a handful of other hardcore obsessors have a problem with Yamamuros art style, doesn’t mean the rest of us do.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with Yamamuro's style. No matter which animation is depicted, if the movement isn't fluid for fight scenes, animation really doesn't matter then. People's talk about the low budget sequences overshadows animators taste.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:29 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Yeah, that movie was very rough around the edges animation wise.

If nothing else it looks like they're doing some very interesting color and camerawork in the new movie. Trailer 2 was full of neat shots.

While I'm not really a fan of the new art style of the movie, I definitely agree that the trailer definitely had some creative shots and interesting colors.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:44 pm

TheOne wrote:Stop posting that video link as if everyone’s going to agree with you that “the animation sucks”. It looks great.

Goodness. Stop complaining about dragon ball content. People spent years wanting more, and now that you have more you want to complain about style of animation.

Some things are worth complaining about due to poor execution. But don’t just assume that just because of you and a handful of other hardcore obsessors have a problem with Yamamuros art style, doesn’t mean the rest of us do.
New content doesn't get a free pass just because sections of the fandom have been clamoring for more over the years. Nothing is exempt from criticism. And you certainly don't get to dictate what other members are allowed to criticize, or discuss, here on the forum just because you disagree with it. Everyone is allowed to express their opinion on just about any subject, positive or negative, so long as they're civil about it.

If you have something to say about the contents of the video, then discuss that. But taking this attitude towards your fellow forum members is unwarranted.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:13 pm

They could have been more original when it comes to the color scheme and damn, kid Vegeta design is terrible.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 pm

Tiny Gokû looks both cute and concerned. I wonder if they will show any difference between Gokû and Kakarrotto personality wise.

Tiny Brolli looks cool. Raditz looks about how he did in Minus. Still not used to fringeless kid Vegeta, but oh well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Furiza

Post by Furiza » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:35 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
They could have been more original when it comes to the color scheme and damn, kid Vegeta design is terrible.
Kid Vegeta looks awesome in my eyes.