Do you believe Nadolny would’ve improved if she came back?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Do you believe Nadolny would’ve improved if she came back?

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:10 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HibHOD5DPoo

Here’s how Stephanie Nadolny sounded as the titular character on Cartoon Network’s Ok K.O show. For whatever reason, she was replaced by Courtenay Taylor, who seems to voice the character for the vast majority of the series, but the above link gives an idea of how Nadolny sounded in the role. Does it sound like she improved in anyway? Would any of the people who weren’t fans of her as Gohan or Goku have been okay with her coming back if she played the characters more like that?

I’m just curious to see what people think.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Do you believe Nadolny would’ve improved if she came back?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Maybe, maybe not.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:37 pm

Short answer: No

Long answer: Hahaha if that clip indicated anything no

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:09 pm

She had 10 years to improve (99-09) as Gohan but never did. In fact, some would argue she actually got worse as time went on. That and her many arrests most likely made it impossible for her to come back.

Still have a softspot for her Goku though. She does an acceptable job in that role.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:16 pm

I think she probably would have. Plenty of other actors showed vast, vast improvement under Sabat's new style of directing as of the Kai era, so I feel like she probably would have as well, same with Vollmer. It's a shame she at least can't get cast in some other shows or something, when the grand majority of actors from back in that era are still getting gigs at FUNi.
Big Boss wrote:That and her many arrests most likely made it impossible for her to come back.
Do...what now?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I think she probably would have. Plenty of other actors showed vast, vast improvement under Sabat's new style of directing as of the Kai era, so I feel like she probably would have as well, same with Vollmer. It's a shame she at least can't get cast in some other shows or something, when the grand majority of actors from back in that era are still getting gigs at FUNi.
Big Boss wrote:That and her many arrests most likely made it impossible for her to come back.
Do...what now?
I won't post any links as it's kind of inappropriate, but she has been done for theft and a couple of DUIs.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:28 pm

No, and the actors that improved did so steadily over time. Nadolny didn't and Vollmer damn sure didn't. I have ZERO desire to ever hear either of them again.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Big Boss wrote:She had 10 years to improve (99-09) as Gohan but never did. In fact, some would argue she actually got worse as time went on. That and her many arrests most likely made it impossible for her to come back.

Still have a softspot for her Goku though. She does an acceptable job in that role.
I agree. Her Gohan was terrible. What 4 year old sounds like that? I'd say the voice she used didn't fit Gohan until Cell Saga when he was noticeably older.

Her Goku wasn't bad. In fact, it was really good because Goku wasn't a crybaby like Gohan was in his first years.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Her Goku was pretty good. So if she came back for kid goku again i would welcome it.

As for her Gohan, I think Collen has done a better job. The voice she gives just seems better suited especially how Gohan has a contrasting personality to Goku.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Tian wrote:[d say the voice she used didn't fit Gohan until Cell Saga when he was noticeably older.
It didn’t fit then either. It was more age appropriate sure but it was waaaaaaay to gruff and rough for a character like Gohan.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:45 pm

Big Boss wrote:She had 10 years to improve (99-09) as Gohan but never did. In fact, some would argue she actually got worse as time went on. That and her many arrests most likely made it impossible for her to come back.

I’ve never heard anyone argue that she got worse over time. A big thing people complain about with her is the rasp, but that rasp mostly went away from 2002 onward.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:48 am

Big Boss wrote:I won't post any links as it's kind of inappropriate, but she has been done for theft and a couple of DUIs.
That's fine, a quick Google search was all I needed, and huh...I'd...never heard about any of this before. :? Nothing popped up about 'theft', but plenty did on the DUI's. That's a shame. I still feel she was a fine voice actress myself and still miss her Goku and Gohan personally, but I can definitely see how that could have been an issue (main or just related) leading to her being let go. I hope she's gotten some help and gotten better.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Timetraveller
Beyond Newbie

Post by Timetraveller » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am

I don't think she needed to improve. She's still the best kid Goku and Gohan in the english dub. Probably the most iconic voice in the franchise since she was there for all of DB and most of DBZ

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 am

Nah she was terrible as both Gohan and Goku, based on that clip it would sound just as bad and unfitting as ever.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:48 am

Timetraveller wrote:I don't think she needed to improve. She's still the best kid Goku and Gohan in the english dub.
She was by far the worst Kid Gohan. Like gratingly bad.

Saying she was the best Kid Goku in the English dub is faint praise because there wasn’t really a good Kid Goku in English. Clinkenbeard’s was too feminine, Henderson was too restrained most of the others were just bad actresses. Barbara Goodson’s probably would have been the best but eh a bit too cartoony for my taste. Nadolyny had the right tone and it wasn’t a horrible performance like her Gohan for most of Z but it wasn’t exactly ideal
Probably the most iconic voice in the franchise since she was there for all of DB and most of DBZ
Ignoring the fact that no she wasn’t in all of Dragon Ball (sonce Schemmel took over for Teen Goku in the last saga) no her voice isn’t the most iconic. I’d say that would go to Schemmel’s Goku or Sabat’s Vegeta despite not liking either much until Kai personally

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 am

Saying she was the best Kid Goku in the English dub is faint praise because there wasn’t really a good Kid Goku in English. Clinkenbeard’s was too feminine, Henderson was too restrained most of the others were just bad actresses. Barbara Goodson’s probably would have been the best but eh a bit too cartoony for my taste. Nadolyny had the right tone and it wasn’t a horrible performance like her Gohan for most of Z but it wasn’t exactly ideal
I don't think we heard enough of Clinkenbeard to get a good enough reading of how good she could've been. Henderson wasn't restrained and as far as English speaking young, she's by far the best.

Nadolny did not have the right tone. Her cadence was unnatural and grating. The Woody the Woodpecker/Krusty laugh just made things worse.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:16 am

ABED wrote:I don't think we heard enough of Clinkenbeard to get a good enough reading of how good she could've been.
Eh she had a 40ish minute movie. I feel like that’s sufficient enough to gage her performance. I wasn’t a fan

Henderson wasn't restrained and as far as English speaking young, she's by far the best.

Maybe restrained wasn’t the right word. I can’t put my finger on it but something about her performance as Goku didn’t work for me. Love her Gohan though.

I will say Henderson came the closest of the three to be able to do both Goku and Gohan.
Nadolny did not have the right tone. Her cadence was unnatural and grating. The Woody the Woodpecker/Krusty laugh just made things worse.
Eh I just feel the rougher voice works better for Goku than it did Gohan. Not that it was a particularly good performance.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am

Well, the voice direction in general improved in Kai, so I can only imagine she would've sounded slightly better. But I still have no desire for her to be back.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:46 am

I think Nadolny was miscast as Gohan, her voice was just too raspy and gruff for the character. Her Kid Goku was passable but she's far from an ideal casting choice in my opinion.
MasenkoHA wrote: Saying she was the best Kid Goku in the English dub is faint praise because there wasn’t really a good Kid Goku in English. Clinkenbeard’s was too feminine, Henderson was too restrained most of the others were just bad actresses. Barbara Goodson’s probably would have been the best but eh a bit too cartoony for my taste. Nadolyny had the right tone and it wasn’t a horrible performance like her Gohan for most of Z but it wasn’t exactly ideal
I don't think Barbara Goodson's Harmony Gold voice for Zero/Goku represents her best effort, she sounded a little off to me in the HG dub when I first heard it but in hindsight, I think that has more to do with the poor direction she was being given. Honestly, (and this is coming from someone with zero nostalgic bias for the Harmony Gold dub whatsoever) I think she'd easily be the best-suited actress for Kid Goku if she tried doing it today. I'm personally a big fan of her performance as Naota in FLCL and I think that style of voice better represents how great she is at voicing boys.

P.S. You forgot about Zoe Slusar who was actually pretty decent, as far as Kid Gokus go.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:09 pm

Zoe Slusar falls under “not a good actress period” same with Ceyli Delgadillo

What I’ve seen of the Harmony Gold dub(Mystic Adventure) Goodson definitely felt the closest to Nozawa’s Kid Goku but meh all the performances felt cartoony like your run of the mill 80s cartoon in the US. Not that it was lacking in talent since the Harmony Gold dub has some big names in the anime dubbing business: Barbara Goodson, Wendee Lee, Dave Mallow, Robert Axelrod etc though I think they were also all pretty new at the time