Should the Z-fighters split up after the Broly movie?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Should the Z-fighters split up after the Broly movie?

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Many people in the fandom are tired of DB being "The Goku show, featuring Vegeta" and want ALL of the recurring fighters to get important roles and arcs for themselves. One way this could be done is that when Super comes back to TV, have the Z-crew split up and travel to the other Universes in pairs.

Goku & Vegeta (and Broly if he survives) can go to U6 for the long awaited Planet Sadala arc with Caulifla, Cabba and Kale. Bulma might go along if them.

Gohan can go to U11 for a Pride Trooper saga. His Great Saiyaman persona and his massive potential would be perfect here, and it could give Jiren, Toppo and the other Troopers more development.

Piccolo could have his own tourney that involves Zalama, the Namekian Book of Legends and the lore around it.

A18 and Krillin could go to U2 for a Kamikaze Fireballs arc.

Freeza could go to either U9 and/or U4 to expand his empire and continue his plot to overthrow the divine hierarchy.

Future Trunks & Future Mai could go to U12 to encounter the 1st timetravel for an arc.

A17 could go to U3, Tien & Yamcha could go to U10, Roshi could go to U4, Hit and the pair of Goten & Present Trunks could each go to one of the unexplored universes (1, 5, 8 or 12)

Then they could all reunite for the series' grand finale arc, likely involving the Universes 13-18.

Any ideas?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Should the Z-fighters split up after the Broly movie?

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:44 pm

There’s no way they could pull off all those story well at the same time. What DBS needs to do is stop rehashing old characters over and over again. You have 12 universes and multiple timelines, explore them instead of doing Freeza for 5th time

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:47 pm

No, because most of the “Z Fighters” shouldn’t be playing an active role in the story anymore. I see no real benefit to shoving Tenshinhan or Yamcha back into the spotlight. Their arcs are done and the Tournament of Power basically showed that there’s no meaningful ground left to tread with most of the cast.

Not that that’s a bad thing, mind you. The original series came to a complete, definitive end. This is just a byproduct of Super continuing a story that already reached its natural conclusion. That said, let’s let sleeping arcs lie.
Last edited by OhHiRenan on Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:40 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:No, because most of the “Z Fighters” shouldn’t be playing an active role in the story anymore. I see no real benefit to shoving Tenshinhan or Yamcha back into the spotlight. Their arcs are done and the Tournament of Power basically showed that there’s no meaningful ground left to tread with most of the cast.

Not that that’s a bad thing, mind you. The original series came to a complete, definitive end. This is just a byproduct of Super continuing a story that already reach its natural conclusion. That said, let’s let sleeping arcs lie.
Exactly. Thread starter is acting like Toriyama is looking for ways to get characters involved and doesn't know how. The day he wants those character to be important they will be. I also don't see how splitting them off into so many separate universes helps either. They're not explorers. Most prefer to live their lives in peace. It's like you said, most of their arcs are over. Let's give them reason before throwing them into the spotlight for the sake of fanservice.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:No, because most of the “Z Fighters” shouldn’t be playing an active role in the story anymore. I see no real benefit to shoving Tenshinhan or Yamcha back into the spotlight. Their arcs are done and the Tournament of Power basically showed that there’s no meaningful ground left to tread with most of the cast.

Not that that’s a bad thing, mind you. The original series came to a complete, definitive end. This is just a byproduct of Super continuing a story that already reached its natural conclusion. That said, let’s let sleeping arcs lie.
Why do so many people in this fandom think a character must only have one character arc? That's an extremely shallow, one-dimensional and borderline autistic way of writing characters. There is no rule of fiction writing that says that has to be the case. Its like much of the fandom complain about the series' often low-quality, yet hypocritically enforce low-standards on it, never realizing that they are part of the problem smh.

Why not flesh out the recurring cast with as many arcs and motives as naturally possible, like people in real life? Instead of an over-inflated cast of one-dimensional characters, why not focus on a relatively smaller cast of 3 dimensional ones like any at least above-average writer would? And no, I'm not saying making new characters is a bad thing. The point is that if you aren't gonna flesh out your recurring supporting cast, you might as well not have a recurring supporting cast in the first place.
Last edited by zarmack on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:18 pm

TysonWine wrote:

Not that that’s a bad thing, mind you. The original series came to a complete, definitive end. This is just a byproduct of Super continuing a story that already reach its natural conclusion. That said, let’s let sleeping arcs lie.
Exactly. Thread starter is acting like Toriyama is looking for ways to get characters involved and doesn't know how. The day he wants those character to be important they will be. I also don't see how splitting them off into so many separate universes helps either. They're not explorers. Most prefer to live their lives in peace. It's like you said, most of their arcs are over. Let's give them reason before throwing them into the spotlight for the sake of fanservice.
By having them split up and go to other universes, that could be a way to introduce new characters while expanding on old ones (what's the point of introducing multiple universes if you are not gonna explore them?). And there is no rule of fiction writing that says a character could only have one arc (some of the cast in the original manga had more than one arc). Its like you guys want the cast to stay flat and 1D instead of fleshing them out smh.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Yes this guy gets it, Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, and maybe Krillin should be effectively retired as trying to squeeze them in for the sake of fanservice just hurts the plot as a whole. Likewise, DB has spent far too much time focusing on it's legacy characters for the protagonist, it's about time for them to introduce someone new.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:38 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:

Yes this guy gets it, Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, and maybe Krillin should be effectively retired as trying to squeeze them in for the sake of fanservice just hurts the plot as a whole.
Developing and fleshing out recurring characters isn't "fanservice" (that word gets thrown around way too nowadays to dismiss anything they don't like). Its common sense writing.

If you are not gonna further develop a character, you might as well permanently write them out. Roshi, Yamcha, Tien and Chaoizu could have all been killed off for good in the Saiyan arc and wouldn't have changed anything for the series. Same with Krillin after the Cell Games and Piccolo after the Buu saga.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:03 pm

zarmack wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote:
Yes this guy gets it, Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, and maybe Krillin should be effectively retired as trying to squeeze them in for the sake of fanservice just hurts the plot as a whole.
Developing and fleshing out recurring characters isn't "fanservice" (that word gets thrown around way too nowadays to dismiss anything they don't like). Its common sense writing.
When the more natural thing to do is just introduce new characters, fanservice is what it should be called. Common sense to me is not bending and twisting the story to make retired supporting characters relevant again.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Simere wrote:
zarmack wrote:
SaiyanGod117 wrote: Yes this guy gets it, Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, and maybe Krillin should be effectively retired as trying to squeeze them in for the sake of fanservice just hurts the plot as a whole.
When the more natural thing to do is just introduce new characters, fanservice is what it should be called. Common sense to me is not bending and twisting the story to make retired supporting characters relevant again.
Giving recurring characters new things to do (and/or revealing new things about them in the process) IS common sense writing (just look at how well A17 and Freeza turned out in the ToP arc). Otherwise, they should have been permanently written off like Kami in Z.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:18 pm

zarmack wrote:
TysonWine wrote:

By having them split up and go to other universes, that could be a way to introduce new characters while expanding on old ones (what's the point of introducing multiple universes if you are not gonna explore them?). And there is no rule of fiction writing that says a character could only have one arc (some of the cast in the original manga had more than one arc). Its like you guys want the cast to stay flat and 1D instead of fleshing them out smh.
The cast isn’t flat or one-dimensional, though. Kuririn, Muten Roshi, and Tenshinhan are all three-dimensional characters with depth. Because they had full character arcs in the original series. A character could have more than one arc, but should a character have more than one arc? It’s sincerely a case by case basis, but Dragon Ball has proven that, no, the majority of the supporting cast does not need another arc because their original arcs ended well enough while also having narrative and thematic presences.

The pre-existing supporting cast doesn’t need to be fleshed our any further. They’re already fleshed out. There is nothing meaningful left to say about Kuririn or Kame Sen’nin or Tenshinhan. Hell, even Vegeta’s arc in Super parrots the tail end of his original character arc more often than it expands his role in a new or substianal way. No good can come from trying to “flesh” out characters who have been fully developed for decades.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Na. People complain about the Goku and Vegeta show but realistically, no other Z-Fighter can really hold their own in their own arc. Not in terms of strength, but in terms of interest. No one is interested enough in Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, etc for them to have their own arc. And tbh, all these characters are done developing already. Doing any more would feel kinda forced.

Rather than do that, just have the retire and chill on Earth. Expand upon the multiverse and build a new Z-Fighters made up of people from differnt universes. Clearly people are more interested in the new characters than the old Z-fighters. Rather than waste time giving uninteresting Z-fighters their own arcs, we could get an arc centered around the U6 Saiyan trio which is way more interesting.

Or an arc where we see Hit going up against a whole corrupt organization. We see his struggles, his fights, maybe some character development.

Or an arc with Jiren. Maybe his evil-doer resurfaces and he decides to finish him once and for all but he goes alone in fear that his Pride Trooper friends would get killed just like his old friends. But then as he’s losing, the Pride Troopers like Toppo and Dyspo show up anyway and provide backup for Jiren and they defeat the evil-doer once and for all.

And maybe a Multiversal War where the main characters of the T.o.P like the Trio De Danger, Pride Troopers, Kamakazi Fireballs, and the U6 Saiyan Trio, and probably just Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, and Broly fight.

Thats interesting. Old Z Fighters ain’t interesting.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:43 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Rather than waste time giving uninteresting Z-fighters their own arcs, we could get an arc centered around the U6 Saiyan trio which is way more interesting. Or an arc where we see Hit going up against a whole corrupt organization. We see his struggles, his fights, maybe some character development.

Or an arc with Jiren. Maybe his evil-doer resurfaces and he decides to finish him once and for all but he goes alone in fear that his Pride Trooper friends would get killed just like his old friends. But then as he’s losing, the Pride Troopers like Toppo and Dyspo show up anyway and provide backup for Jiren and they defeat the evil-doer once and for all.

And maybe a Multiversal War where the main characters of the T.o.P like the Trio De Danger, Pride Troopers, Kamakazi Fireballs, and the U6 Saiyan Trio, and probably just Goku, Vegeta, Freeza, and Broly fight.

These are exactly what I'm asking for. And the ToP arc made A17 and Gohan relevant again, so there's no reason to phase them out.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:57 pm

zarmack wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Rather than waste time giving uninteresting Z-fighters their own arcs, we could get an arc centered around the U6 Saiyan trio which is way more interesting. Or an arc where we see Hit going up against a whole corrupt organization. We see his struggles, his fights, maybe some character development.

These are exactly what I'm asking for. And the ToP arc made A17 and Gohan relevant again, so there's no reason to phase them out.
Yeah, i’d take Android 17 too. You know what? If we did get a Multiversal War arc, I’d want Goku, Vegeta, Broly, and Freeza to be off fighting all over the multiverse and we have team B lead by 17 (as he’s known for protecting natural and the Earth’s species) where we have 17, Gotenks, Roshi, Gohan, 18, Krillin, etc protecting Earth.

We would get exploration and fighting.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:58 pm

No, because they are boring and uninteresting. I'd rather see them go to U6 and train with the new superior saiyans.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:03 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:
zarmack wrote:
TysonWine wrote: Exactly. Thread starter is acting like Toriyama is looking for ways to get characters involved and doesn't know how. The day he wants those character to be important they will be. I also don't see how splitting them off into so many separate universes helps either. They're not explorers. Most prefer to live their lives in peace. It's like you said, most of their arcs are over. Let's give them reason before throwing them into the spotlight for the sake of fanservice.
The cast isn’t flat or one-dimensional, though. Kuririn, Muten Roshi, and Tenshinhan are all three-dimensional characters with depth. Because they had full character arcs in the original series. A character could have more than one arc, but should a character have more than one arc? It’s sincerely a case by case basis, but Dragon Ball has proven that, no, the majority of the supporting cast does not need another arc because their original arcs ended well enough while also having narrative and thematic presences.

The pre-existing supporting cast doesn’t need to be fleshed our any further. They’re already fleshed out. There is nothing meaningful left to say about Kuririn or Kame Sen’nin or Tenshinhan. Hell, even Vegeta’s arc in Super parrots the tail end of his original character arc more often than it expands his role in a new or substianal way. No good can come from trying to “flesh” out characters who have been fully developed for decades.
Both Roshi are Tien are pretty 1D objectively, especially the latter. There literally isn't that much to them, which explains why neither have done anything of note in DB(Z) since the 22nd TB arc. Toriyama could have made Tien more interesting with his 3-eyed people background. Whis is a more interesting character and does the eccentric mentor role better than Roshi did, and Hit is a better, more interesting Tien.

And no, by continuing to flesh out old characters (by revealing new traits and expanding on old ones) and giving them new things to do and creating new relationships (kinda like real people), you are keeping them fresh and interesting. That's how sustain a long running series with a long running cast. How else do you think comic book characters like Superman, Spiderman and Batman are able to stay fresh and relevant in pop culture for over half a century? How else do you think long running, critically acclaimed TV dramas are able to stay strong and alive with the exact same main cast for at least 7 years?

Hell, Vegeta's relationship with Cabba is exactly what opened the door to a potential Planet Sadala arc. Nothing like that had ever existed for the character in Z, so to say that Vegeta got no new development in Super is objectively false. And bringing back Freeza for the ToP arc is exactly what opens the door for more stories involving the GoDs, Angels and Zeno (considering Freeza's new motive for being around is to overthrow them).

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Both Roshi are Tien are pretty 1D objectively, especially the latter. There literally isn't that much to them, which explains why neither have done anything of note in DB(Z) since the 22nd TB arc.
Objectively? Please lol. Muten Roshi’s character arc is basically done by the 22nd TB, plays a major role in the Piccolo Daimao arc, and then formally retires in the 23rd TB. It’s an arc that makes sense for his character and comes to a natural conclusion. Muten Roshi is also one of the more three dimensional characters in the series. He’s introduced as a lecher, but it turns out he’s a master martial artist who not only teaches his students to be good martial artists, but good people.

Tenshinhan has a full arc in the 22nd TB where he slowly and subtlety shifts focus from wanting to be an assassin and Muten Roshi awakens a sincere love for martial arts in him. Ten then plays major roles in the Piccolo Daimao, 23rd TB, and Saiyan arc where his death is tied to his affection for Chaozu. From there, he has two nice moments in the Cell and Boo arcs that sum up his character well enough.
Toriyama could have made Tien more interesting with his 3-eyed people background. Whis is a more interesting character and does the eccentric mentor role better than Roshi did, and Hit is a better, more interesting Tien.
Tenshinhan is interesting as is without going into any “three-eyed people background.” What makes him a compelling character isn’t that he’s a triclops. It’s the journey he goes on. The third eye gives him a strong visual identity, but there’s no need whatsoever to deep dive into such a narratively or thematically inconsequential derail. Why is Whis more interesting? How is he more eccentric? Nothing about Hit is “interesting” or “better” than Tenshinhan. He has no internal journey to speak of.
And no, by continuing to flesh out old characters (by revealing new traits and expanding on old ones) and giving them new things to do and creating new relationships (kinda like real people), you are keeping them fresh and interesting. That's how sustain a long running series with a long running cast.
Which is what Toriyama did. Before Dragon Ball ended. Stories end. Arcs end. Characters reach the end of their arcs. Also, characters in a series like Dragon Ball work quite different from characters in Marvel or DC serials which have dozens of different versions of their characters and worlds. Dragon Ball has one main narrative continuity with the same cast from start to finish.
How else do you think long running, critically acclaimed TV dramas are able to stay strong and alive with the exact same main cast for at least 7 years?
The same way Dragon Ball stayed strong and alive for ten years before it ended. You do know that Dragon Ball existed before Super, right? Typically, when stories come to an end, characters are fully developed by the finale. Like in Dragon Ball! Super has nothing meaningful to say about fully developed characters because the original series said everything worth saying. And then ended.

No story should go on forever. No character needs to “develop” forever. One of Toriyama’s strengths as a writer was understanding when his characters’ arcs were over and moving on. It gives the original series’ cast a wider scope.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:35 pm

I think if there was an earnest effort made to revitalise intrigue, motivation, and dynamism in these characters then it could be accomplished. Some examples that come to mind would be Piccolo's mutual Namekian heritage linking him to the Namekian Book of Legends and the elaboration of a possible connection between the Dragon Balls and Zarama. Another example would be Tenshinhan's weariness of the putative reformers of his group like Vegeta. On one or two occasions he's expressed discontent with being dependent on them for defence whenever a new threat rears its ugly head. How can the inclination to strive for self-sufficiency and reliability to others not be an engaging goal to have? The issue there is devising a plausible roadmap for Tenshinhan's growth. Lastly, for Yamcha, what about his character specifically is there to distinguish him from the others and relate to a current situation? Well he's former a desert bandit who used to accost and possibly murder people for profit. Some loose parallels could be drawn between his original job and what contemporaries like Caulifla and Kale do. Not sure how you could translate that into him becoming a powerhouse but it's a start for being interactive.

With respect to the proposition of developing a new ensemble -- I would ask who fans have in mind. Hit? Jiren? The female Saiyan duo from Universe 6? This might just be me but I question if those characters have enough clout to warrant making them long-term additions to the core cast. Other universe characters whom we've yet to see could make an appearance. Gaining enough recognition and appeal to warrant consideration for having extended seems dubious. If more familiarised classics like Piccolo and Buu aren't being permitted to stay on for a proper evolution and utilisation of their characters then how likely is it that someone from an as of yet obscured universe? Admittedly, that could very easily change as the lore and universe is expanded upon.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:03 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Na. People complain about the Goku and Vegeta show but realistically, no other Z-Fighter can really hold their own in their own arc. Not in terms of strength, but in terms of interest. No one is interested enough in Roshi, Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, etc for them to have their own arc. And tbh, all these characters are done developing already. Doing any more would feel kinda forced.
Speak for yourself - Krillin is my favourite Z Fighter and he was the reason I was watching original Dragon Ball back in the day. I don't give a flying f*&k about Goku, Vegeta or the Saiyans in general.

Anyways, the only reason Goku and Vegeta 'hold their own' is that the show creator(s) have brainwashed the audience into thinking that by shoving them into our throats in every single episode. If they could give us 2-3 arcs with #17, Frieza and maybe Gohan perform similar awe-inspiring feats as they did in the ToP, the audience would consider them must-have additions into every single arc afterwards. The only reason Tien isn't as popular as Vegeta is because Toriyama and Toei simply chose to treat Earthlings like garbage. DB is a shonen, and in shonen power boosts popularity. And despite that, the mere fact that Krillin still has a fandom despite the fact that he is completely useless for the past 300 episodes speaks volumes of how much of a popular character he is and his potential.

And I can't help but shake my head at the posters who play the 'fanservice' card whenever they talk about Krillin, Frieza, #17, etc. being in the series once more. As if Vegeta's role from the android saga and afterwards isn't the very DEFINITION of fanservice. The Wolverine Effect in full force.

Anyway, I said it once and I'll say it again - limiting the power level potential of Earthlings (and heck, almost all non-saiyans) was the biggest writing sin Toriyama committed. But I guess he wanted a good chunk of characters to be useless next to Goku in order to show us what an amazing, bona fine hero he is and how much everything is depending on him and that only he can do our today's Villain.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:18 pm

No because with humans/Piccolo etc. there is no "fleshing out" to do anymore, these characters arcs are done. Focus on new characters and give them arcs to flesh them out