State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: State of the Kanzenshuu: Wiki Status Update

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:23 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:From what I've seen wiki's for other anime uses manga or Japanese terms as reference material, It's only dragon ball where people act like funimation created the series and anything in their dub is fact.
Well, seeing as that post is a year old, I don't really hold to that anymore. :lol: I do still avoid the DB Wikia as much as possible, though. And I agree with your sentiment - the Naruto Wikia, for example, is amazingly in-depth because the contributors use the proper resources for their information. The DB one just doesn't have that. Now, I certainly don't want to bash this who contribute to the Wikia, but it isn't particularly difficult to see its problems.

As for the primary topic, pretty much all I have to say at the moment is: take your time. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:07 pm

Could we at least get an updated version of the progress statistics in the OP, please?
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:28 pm

With the almost a hundred new characters in the Tournament of Power, it probably didn't have much progress overall. At least with Super ending, there won't be a lot of new info every week.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:48 am

So,can we at least get the incomplete version of wiki,the dB wiki is frustrating and btw what is the next guide hugio was talking about on Twitter ? :?:
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

Post by John Pannozzi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 am

On a semi-related note, I'm now the admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki, and I'd love it if anyone here wanted to help out making that wiki the best it can be.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:18 am

Random update for everyone. I know things have been on a bit of a break, but we are currently working on things, again, so stay tuned. We should have an update coming, soon'ish? In the meantime, hang tight. :)
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:28 am

-excitement rises-

Woo! Can't wait!

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Hujio wrote:Random update for everyone. I know things have been on a bit of a break, but we are currently working on things, again, so stay tuned. We should have an update coming, soon'ish? In the meantime, hang tight. :)
Sounds dope! Can't wait for this news! :D

Does it have to do with the news on the home page of the site?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:51 am

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Hujio wrote:Random update for everyone. I know things have been on a bit of a break, but we are currently working on things, again, so stay tuned. We should have an update coming, soon'ish? In the meantime, hang tight. :)

Most likely. They also launched Kanzenshuu on April 1st 6 years ago, so it likely is not a prank and emma and terez are legit going to work with the wiki asap.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:18 am

dbgtFO wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:

Most likely. They also launched Kanzenshuu on April 1st 6 years ago, so it likely is not a prank and emma and terez are legit going to work with the wiki asap.
I commented on the article that I legit couldn't tell if it was a prank or not.

If it is real, then I'd like to re-suggest something that I think would be very helpful if the next site update is a ways out: we need to be able to hide and expand the Credits and now Music section, as they take up a lot of real estate on the page!

Adrian Malacoda
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Adrian Malacoda » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:19 pm

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:18 pm

Hey, can anyone tell me what's the current state of the Kanzenshuu wiki?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:15 pm

majinwarman wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me what's the current state of the Kanzenshuu wiki?
In development. That's all we really know.

But there have been two recent site-related updates: the staff got expanded on April 1st (confusing at least me), and the Translations section has been given a revamp to make it easier to find stuff.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:12 pm

KBABZ wrote:
majinwarman wrote:Hey, can anyone tell me what's the current state of the Kanzenshuu wiki?

But there have been two recent site-related updates: the staff got expanded on April 1st (confusing at least me), and the Translations section has been given a revamp to make it easier to find stuff.
Thank you for the update!
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Are there any news or updates about the Wiki?

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:25 pm

KBABZ wrote:

As a member of the expanded staff I suppose I should chime in.

EmmaWinters and I are the Wiki administrators. Emma is a mod on these forums but due to life and work has been mostly absent. Both of us are moderators on r/dbz and that keeps us pretty busy. Emma has known the Kanzenshuu guys for a while; I got to know them through various social media after I started modding reddit two years ago. When the fandom news outpaced Kanzenshuu's workflow we did our best to fill that gap, and Mike likes to take people like us and hang them in his tree so here we are.

Heath did a lot of the groundwork on this thing back in 2013, and Emma helped by porting a bunch of site guides onto the wiki, particularly episode and chapter pages. Mike has also done a lot of work, particularly on pages dealing with relatively obscure stuff that he knows more about than most people, and he continues to do that work. Of course Julian and Herms (and TripleRach and others) have also done a lot of translations that are valuable to us. Herms's guides are our foundation for chronology (he even cited sources), character tidbits from guidebooks, name puns, and all sorts of other things. (He's also reviewing some things he translated years ago.) All of them (perhaps especially Mike) have a massive collection of primary sources that we can consult and sometimes scan for illustrative purposes.

I think our most immediate goal is to get the Wiki in a condition where we can reach out to you guys for help, which will probably be not long before we go public. I believe (though we haven't fully hammered out the details) that this will always remain a very selective process, especially when it comes to editing privileges. We have already recruited a handful of people that we know well, but we probably won't recruit further for some time, and our standards will always be exacting.

My current first-base goal is to get all of the episode and chapter pages more or less complete, but I'm going deep on Z 1-2 and Kai 1 right now to lay the groundwork for how those pages should look when they are researched to the hilt. Since the site guide summaries are just really old translations of short Daizenshuu synposes, I have to write full summaries for every episode. After I write the Z summaries, I watch the corresponding Kai episode and restructure the Z summaries to fit while making continuity notes. I make screenshots of redrawn cuts in Kai and comparison shots from the Z Dragon Boxes for the Kai production gallery. For the Z production gallery, I talk to datwerg and Ajay to see what they know about the production and animation in these episodes, and make layout/genga/correction/screenshot comparisons. (I haven't uploaded those images to the site yet and I've already managed to make them look a little better.) I am documenting the Kikuchi replacement score for Kai à la Kenisu and also using Kenisu's tables to document the BGM for each episode.

I'm also working on getting the Super episode pages done, and at the same time, I am working on pages for Super characters, starting with the TOP; I kept track of nearly everything Herms translated during Super's run, big or small, and all of that stuff will be documented pretty thoroughly on the Wiki on episode and character pages. I will also be consulting Ajay for the production details on those episodes, and I will probably consult TeeHallums for the Sumitomo documentation (and maybe Faulconer too, if we get that far).

I'm also keeping up with Heroes episodes as they are ongoing (I sometimes cross paths with Mike here because he is trying to keep up with the site guides), and I'm tracking information about the Broly movie. We often make pages for new characters like Kikono and Beets as soon as we learn about them, while some older characters like Chiaotzu still don't have pages at all, just because it's easier to keep up with new characters as they come than it is to go back later and try to track everything down. With anything we're working on, it's very easy to get distracted from the task at hand by green links for character pages that need to be made, or other kinds of pages that need to be made. We occasionally have spirited debates about how certain details should be handled.

DetectiveX has been transcribing and translating his Chōzenshū books, and he has done a lot of work in particular with techniques and transformations (which is great because it's one of those areas I care very little about). Cipher is writing summaries for spin-off manga chapters, and he also started work on some character pages like Majin Boo. jpranevich is making pages for the movies and also incorporating his notes on DB/Z into the episode and character pages. Others are making basic character or staff pages from scratch, filling in their basic info for others to build upon, or hanging around in our workspace to answer questions or give advice (like TheDevilsCorpse and darkprince410).

If you have any services that you think you can offer, please do let us know. The overall feeling seems to be that we shouldn't recruit any more editors at this point, or even hand out view privileges, but if you have done research on any topic, or if you would like to do some research to be used on the Wiki, we would be very grateful. This project is a ton of work, but we are very much into it and very excited about seeing what it will eventually be, and we would like for you to be excited too!
Last edited by Terez on Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:48 pm

Terez wrote:If you have any services that you think you can offer, please do let us know. The overall feeling seems to be that we shouldn't recruit any more editors at this point, or even hand out view privileges, but if you have done research on any topic, or if you would like to do some research to be used on the Wiki, we would be very grateful. This project is a ton of work, but we are very much into it and very excited about seeing what it will eventually be, and we would like for you to be excited too!
Thanks for the lengthy update! It's reassuring to know that there's been a lot of busywork on the wiki.

I'd love to offer my services to the wiki, but unfortunately I don't really have the kind of expertise Kanzenshuu would be interested in. My exposure to the original Japanese version is as good as nil, and I'm primarily interested in the early 2000s dub of the OG. I also own the FUNi GT dub, both Kais, the two pre-Super movies, the digital ViZ versions of the manga that was covered by the OG anime, and physical editions of all the English issues of Full Color. My girlfriend also speaks Japanese and can read most forms of it (she spent several years in the country), but she isn't particularly interested in Dragon Ball unfortunately.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

KBABZ wrote:I'm primarily interested in the early 2000s dub of the OG.
I have all the singles, and the Rock the Dragon set for video comparisons. (It's the uncut DVD version; I lost my VHS collection in Hurricane Katrina.) When I was keeping up with Ajay's rewatch, I did a lot of sub-dub comparisons for Twitter, which has been a great memory refresher; I watched the OG dub all the way through several times back in the day, but I haven't really since I lost my tapes. I watched the 2005 redub with Kikuchi once all the way through, then the Kai dub all the way through (to ep.98), then DB/Z in Japanese all the way through. I started again with Z, watching the OG dub alongside the OBA, for Ajay's rewatch but I gave up around episode 90 and dug into the Wiki instead. (And now I'm starting over again.)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Terez wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I'm primarily interested in the early 2000s dub of the OG.
I have all the singles, and the Rock the Dragon set for video comparisons. (It's the uncut DVD version; I lost my VHS collection in Hurricane Katrina.) When I was keeping up with Ajay's rewatch, I did a lot of sub-dub comparisons for Twitter, which has been a great memory refresher; I watched the OG dub all the way through several times back in the day, but I haven't really since I lost my tapes. I watched the 2005 redub with Kikuchi once all the way through, then the Kai dub all the way through (to ep.98), then DB/Z in Japanese all the way through. I started again with Z, watching the OG dub alongside the OBA, for Ajay's rewatch but I gave up around episode 90 and dug into the Wiki instead. (And now I'm starting over again.)
Awesome! Somethimg I'm doing while keeping up with the GT Review of Awesomeness is watch with the Japanese subtitles whilst listening to the dub, so I can point out any flagrant chances or surprising moments of accuracy.

One feature that would be a piss-ton of work but nice for archival/comparison purposes would be a gallery of DVD comparisons, where all DVDs/Blu-Rays would be represented with the same frame of an episode that represents a box sets. So for example, Dragon Box/Single/Blue Brick, or however many iterations there have been of the earliest Z episodes. Not sure that would be appropriate for a wiki though.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:45 pm

It wouldn't be too much work to do a version comparison gallery for every episode. I don't have the orange bricks or the Funimation Blurays (not counting what is on their streaming service) but Emma does and if I make comparisons using what I do have, all I have to do is ask and Emma will provide the screenshots from those versions.

I need to figure out how to get the slideshow gallery mode to work. It should be simple but I have failed so far. We're very much against having galleries of random images; every image gallery will have a specific educational purpose.