Dragon Ball Super: Broly Light Novel

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Light Novel

Post by majinwarman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Bullza wrote:I'd buy it if it was translated but who knows if it will be. They were translating the Naruto novels and then they just stopped.
Which still annoys me to no end. I mean, we did end up also getting the two Itachi novels and the Sasuke one, but...bah.

I don't know what the likelihood of Viz grabbing this novel is, but I know I'd buy it. Would definitely be interesting to see how fight scenes are handled in prose form in an official light novel too. There's been plenty of fan-fiction that does it well enough, but only time will tell if this turns out good too.
They just released the Sakura one a few months ago so I don't know what you are talking about.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:17 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Hopefully it salvages the mess this movie is going to end up as.
Why would a Light Novel that follows the same script the movie is using be better?
Novelizations, good ones anyhow, tend to improve on the foundation by giving insights the movie cant, more context or in rare cases giving entirely new context the movie doesn't even go into. Revenge of the Sith's novelization is based on the movie script but it's an entirely different animal by the time you read through it.

Now, this kind of stuff is the exception not the rule. Most novelizations are just the movie except in text form.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 am

majinwarman wrote:They just released the Sakura one a few months ago so I don't know what you are talking about.
I...wha? The Sakura novel came out May 3 2016. I would in no way call that 'a few months ago'. :shock: Even their most recent release of the Naruto 'canon' novels, Sasuke's Story, came out well over a year ago on March 7, 2017, so sadly it's not looking too likely they're going to bring over the rest of those for us. Viz has long been notoriously unreliable on bringing over full runs of light novels. We never even got all of the Fullmetal Alchemist ones.

That said, while I'm still not banking on them bringing the Broly novel over for sure, I suppose there's at least a chance in that it's just one, solitary novel, rather than a series of them to commit to.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:28 am

Toriyama is drawing it. :shock:

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 am

IM21 wrote:Toriyama is drawing it. :shock:
Really? Damn i want to buy it so badly now

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:55 am

CTAkuma wrote:
Really? Damn i want to buy it so badly now
Yea. and it's written by Kusakabe Masatoshi, a guy that did some Naruto stuff.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 am

Wait, where was that confirmed? And if so, I'm assuming by drawing it means the cover and maybe some insert art if we're lucky (the Naruto novels didn't really have any of that sadly, but the Haruhi novels did as well as the old Rurouni Kenshin light novel I've got, so...)?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:16 am

A light novel is a book, not a manga. If he draws something then maybe the cover and some insert images

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Wait, where was that confirmed? And if so, I'm assuming by drawing it means the cover and maybe some insert art if we're lucky (the Naruto novels didn't really have any of that sadly, but the Haruhi novels did as well as the old Rurouni Kenshin light novel I've got, so...)?
GovetaXV said it on twitter, and he does get a lot of info about DB in advance.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:07 pm

majinwarman wrote:They just released the Sakura one a few months ago so I don't know what you are talking about.
That came out a couple years ago...

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:22 pm

What's a light novel and how is it different from a heavy novel?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Saturnine wrote:What's a light novel and how is it different from a heavy novel?
They're shorter in page length and so weigh less than a regular 300 page novel.

Think summer reading take it with you to read on the beach books.

A novella in other words.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:23 am

Chuquita wrote:
Saturnine wrote:What's a light novel and how is it different from a heavy novel?

Hm, not really, no novella.

Light novel is novel but "light" in terms of language used + manga style illustrations (not necessarily).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 am

Shounen wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

Hm, not really, no novella.

Light novel is novel but "light" in terms of language used + manga style illustrations (not necessarily).
Then my summer reading description.

I don't recall the light novels I've seen having that high a page count.

A Google search tells me the difference between a novel and novella comes down to word count, not page count, but there is no official uniformly agreed on number.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 am

Light novels could be called "easy readers," or something, though I don't think there's a real 1:1 equivalent in Western publishing.

They're full-length novels, but are typically lower in page count, word count, difficulty of language, and often feature illustrations along with the prose. They're predominantly aimed at kids and teens. YA, but it's a style descriptor in addition to a demographic descriptor.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Hopefully, the light novel will include the content that was cut out of the three hour script Toriyama came up with.
Unlikely. This kind of novelization is usually a straight-up adaptation.
If lucky, we might get some insight on the charaters' thoughts, background and motivation though

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:07 pm

IM21 wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
GovetaXV said it on twitter, and he does get a lot of info about DB in advance.
For the record, GovetaXV does not have any actual connections and does not understand Japanese. Anything he gets in advance is taken from Chinese social media or maybe 5ch. He's never the first to post anything, and he has a very bad habit of spreading misinformation with his amateur attempts to translate a language he does not understand. He's the reason why people were expecting there to be a Toriyama interview in DBS v.7, for a recent example. I don't understand why people follow him. This was his first attempt to impart this particular claim. He's since deleted it and tweeted instead that the light novel will be illustrated by Toriyama, and while that may be true, he hasn't provided a source for that claim. The only thing I know of that's coming out at this time is WSJ and according to people who have WSJ, there's nothing in it about the light novel.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 pm

I never cared about light novels, but since it's Dragon Ball I will make an exception.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:46 am

Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't edit my post and I just noticed the link doesn't work. Screenshot of Goveta's original claim, that Toriyama himself was writing and drawing a Broly manga:
He deleted that and later claimed that Toriyama would be illustrating the light novel, but he still didn't cite a source for that claim.

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am

I'm hoping the novel is allowed at least a bit of writing freedom and won't be the direct movie script in prose form. Would be nice to see deeper character thoughts, motivations, and of course how the fights will translate in written format. I've actually wanted something like this from DB for awhile now.