Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm

CTAkuma wrote:"Goku finally....." surpasses Beerus
but he already did that at the end of the ToP?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 pm

So how old is Paragus? About 80?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Appers wrote:
Kinokima wrote: I also think it is strange that they aren’t advertising UI at all if UI will play a central role in the film but yes Goku mastering it is also a possibility. Honestly I would be somewhat disappointed if that was the ending but I am used to being disappointed in Dragon Ball endings lately so better prepare myself for it.
I don't. If it is in they definitely want it to be a surprise.

Maybe I'm giving Toei more credit than they deserve here but I think they understand that if they want UI's next appearance to be impactful then they need to make it unexpected. They've done a good job marketing everything else to the point of many theorizing that its not going to appear in the film at all, so imagine the amount of surprise and impact for the fans if it does end up showing up at the last minute to take Broly down after Gogeta fails and all hope of the z fighters winning seems lost.

There's also the whole thing of Toriyama never letting fusions finish fights when he's the one writing the story too.

Who knows though, like I said, maybe I'm giving Toei way too much credit and it won't be in the movie at all and Toriyama will finally give a fusion a win. I'm just expecting the usual Toriyama bait and switch.
I'm pretty sure Toei don't actually have control over the majority of the marketing, otherwise it wouldn't have taken modern DB almost 6 years to finally get marketing for a release. And SSG Goku wouldn't be not marketed, as Bandai etc hate that form.

But the fact they haven't revealed Gogeta yet and waiting until the last minute is proof enough UI Goku isn't in the film and Gogeta is the big surprise. They can afford to not market one thing not two and revealing Gogeta earlier would have added more to your bait and switch argument.

It's like the UI reveal. They revealed "Omen" in August 2017 I believe and everyone thought that was it, Goku's big form and they didn't reveal mastered UI until the last minute in February 2018. Half a year basically. So since Gogeta is the last minute reveal I think shows he is the so called big surprise.

Besides UI Goku is a thing that exists it wouldn't really be a surprise since most people have been speculating it since the start.

I hope UI Goku is in the film but odds look very very slim.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:So how old is Paragus? About 80?
something like that I think...which would mean he is actually the first Saiyan we have seen to not be in their physical prime

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Appers wrote:
Kinokima wrote: I also think it is strange that they aren’t advertising UI at all if UI will play a central role in the film but yes Goku mastering it is also a possibility. Honestly I would be somewhat disappointed if that was the ending but I am used to being disappointed in Dragon Ball endings lately so better prepare myself for it.
I don't. If it is in they definitely want it to be a surprise.

Maybe I'm giving Toei more credit than they deserve here but I think they understand that if they want UI's next appearance to be impactful then they need to make it unexpected. They've done a good job marketing everything else to the point of many theorizing that its not going to appear in the film at all, so imagine the amount of surprise and impact for the fans if it does end up showing up at the last minute to take Broly down after Gogeta fails and all hope of the z fighters winning seems lost.

There's also the whole thing of Toriyama never letting fusions finish fights when he's the one writing the story too.

Who knows though, like I said, maybe I'm giving Toei way too much credit and it won't be in the movie at all and Toriyama will finally give a fusion a win. I'm just expecting the usual Toriyama bait and switch.
I'm pretty sure Toei don't actually have control over the majority of the marketing, otherwise it wouldn't have taken modern DB almost 6 years to finally get marketing for a release. And SSG Goku wouldn't be not marketed, as Bandai etc hate that form.

But the fact they haven't revealed Gogeta yet and waiting until the last minute is proof enough UI Goku isn't in the film and Gogeta is the big surprise. They can afford to not market one thing not two and revealing Gogeta earlier would have added more to your bait and switch argument.

It's like the UI reveal. They revealed "Omen" in August 2017 I believe and everyone thought that was it, Goku's big form and they didn't reveal mastered UI until the last minute in February 2018. Half a year basically. So since Gogeta is the last minute reveal I think shows he is the so called big surprise.

Besides UI Goku is a thing that exists it wouldn't really be a surprise since most people have been speculating it since the start.

But why would they need to advertise Ultra Instinct when it's already been? Naturally they will show the basic forms that's been out for the longest in red and blue.

BTW fandom. The Broly movie is considered official "canon" or "legitimate sequel" to Dragonball's original manga...
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1057 ... Fpage-5152

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Miracles wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Appers wrote: I don't. If it is in they definitely want it to be a surprise.

But why would they need to advertise Ultra Instinct when it's already been? Naturally they will show the basic forms that's been out for the longest in red and blue.

BTW fandom. The Broly movie is considered official "canon" or "legitimate sequel" to Dragonball's original manga...
When we say advertise we mean merchandise it. Why wouldn’t Bandai want to incorporate UI in their movie merchandise. It is one of their most popular forms. As popular as SSB is imagine selling UI Goku vs Broly. Why wouldn’t they want to sell that?

Also they didn’t have to spoil Goku mastering UI with just merchandising UI because we all already know exactly what UI looks like. Seriously UI being in the movie would in no shape or form be a big shocker for ppl so there is no reason to keep it a big secret.

Now does this 100% mean Goku is no mastering UI in the movie. Well nothing is 100%. I admit I was wrong about Broly being in the movie and 17 still being alive so I could very well be wrong here. In fact I probably am.
Last edited by Kinokima on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Miracles wrote:
Meshack wrote:[If he could do that then he would have done it from the start. You're reading into it
Goku couldn't do it from the start because he needed to be reminded of his past teaching principles. Once he realized this he accessed UI on his own through poise.
Shaddy wrote:
Miracles wrote:No, It's a known fact that the writing for the DB Super manga is better than the anime's. The anime has [will always] better visuals.
A "known fact", huh. Yikes. You know people aren't somehow retroactively convincing themselves that they didn't enjoy something they actually did, right? As if that were even possible?
Doesn't matter about one enjoying it or not. It's about coherency and keeping continuity. The Super manga does it better than the anime.
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote: No, It's a known fact that the writing for the DB Super manga is better than the anime's. The anime has [will always] better visuals.
A known fact? Are you sure you know what that means? Something as inherently subjective as writing quality cannot legitimately be deemed a "known fact" dude. I for one, am of the opinion that the anime has exponentially better writing.
You show me where the anime keeps continuity from the OG Dragonball better than the manga?
The why or how did he lose the form at the end of last chapter??? You’re not making sense

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:06 pm

This conversation has nothing to do with the upcoming film. Please keep things on-topic.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Appers

Post by Appers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But the fact they haven't revealed Gogeta yet and waiting until the last minute is proof enough UI Goku isn't in the film and Gogeta is the big surprise. They can afford to not market one thing not two and revealing Gogeta earlier would have added more to your bait and switch argument.
The bait and switch has nothing to do with the marketing aspect but moreso Toriyama's style of writing in general. He's never let a fusion deal a finishing blow before so I'm expecting something to happen to Gogeta before he finishes Broly off. Sorry for the misconception.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:21 pm

So I had a thought earlier that troubles me, because I think Toriyama would be enough of a madlad to do this.

Remember those bugs we saw in the concept art that were a big deal apparently??

well I was looking at Broly and noticed he was eating its leg

then there's the water on the planet

If Broly's power is due to the food sources, planet's water or something like that (which I can totally see Toriyama doing with the way he handles power ups) I'm not sure how the fanbase would take it

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:50 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I'm pretty sure Toei don't actually have control over the majority of the marketing, otherwise it wouldn't have taken modern DB almost 6 years to finally get marketing for a release. And SSG Goku wouldn't be not marketed, as Bandai etc hate that form.

When we say advertise we mean merchandise it. Why wouldn’t Bandai want to incorporate UI in their movie merchandise. It is one of their most popular forms. As popular as SSB is imagine selling UI Goku vs Broly. Why wouldn’t they want to sell that?

Also they didn’t have to spoil Goku mastering UI with just merchandising UI because we all already know exactly what UI looks like. Seriously UI being in the movie would in no shape or form be a big shocker for ppl so there is no reason to keep it a big secret.

Now does this 100% mean Goku is no mastering UI in the movie. Well nothing is 100%. I admit I was wrong about Broly being in the movie and 17 still being alive so I could very well be wrong here. In fact I probably am.
I see. So you guys are looking at this from a business standpoint. However, wouldn't saving UI be a business decision as well? Showing UI later would generate more income after getting cash from Blue Goku vs Broly and even an image of red Vegeta? They wouldn't want to take away attention from those forms. Then we also got the secret character being VERY active against broly in the movie. That means more than once possibly. Are you guys telling me that's not UI Goku?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Miracles wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Miracles wrote: But why would they need to advertise Ultra Instinct when it's already been? Naturally they will show the basic forms that's been out for the longest in red and blue.

I see. So you guys are looking at this from a business standpoint. However, wouldn't saving UI be a business decision as well? Showing UI later would generate more income after getting cash from Blue Goku vs Broly and even an image of red Vegeta? They wouldn't want to take away attention from those forms. Then we also got the secret character being VERY active against broly in the movie. That means more than once possibly. Are you guys telling me that's not UI Goku?

No the secret character is Gogeta. They are keeping Gogeta a secret because he is a “new character”. UI Goku is not. Even if Goku can do UI at will. The form itself is not a secret.

And we already have months of movie merchandise solicited with no UI Goku. Marketing UI Goku stuff later just to keep him a secret is a waste.

But yes it’s still a possibility that he will be in the movie and they just don’t care to market him. Maybe they feel they had enough UI Goku from the TOP merchandise. Anything is possible.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:22 pm

Miracles wrote:BTW fandom. The Broly movie is considered official "canon" or "legitimate sequel" to Dragonball's original manga...
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1057911567927271424
That comment was about Dragon Ball Super generally, not just the Broly movie. As translated by Viz for the North America tour:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:46 pm

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:58 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:So I had a thought earlier that troubles me, because I think Toriyama would be enough of a madlad to do this.

Remember those bugs we saw in the concept art that were a big deal apparently??

well I was looking at Broly and noticed he was eating its leg

then there's the water on the planet

If Broly's power is due to the food sources, planet's water or something like that (which I can totally see Toriyama doing with the way he handles power ups) I'm not sure how the fanbase would take it
You didn’t “notice” that. It was put out that a little while back that Broly has been eating its legs.
How i predict the tournament will end:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Image
Vegeta looks so damn good here

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 pm

They both look pretty good here in ssjg. I think this'll work out.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:They both look pretty good here in ssjg. I think this'll work out.
Do we have translations of this yet though? I have no idea what it says

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:They both look pretty good here in ssjg. I think this'll work out.
I gave it to Herms (as usual) and he didn't seem to think there was anything interesting on it. "That one just goes over the battle stamp rally (at train stations), Tokyo Skytree, bonus cards, etc"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:19 pm

PFM18 wrote:
I only did the big text (because sure, it's been a while so why not?) and yeah nothing ground breaking:

Blue text: Uchi yuuru gasu! / Let's get it!
Big yellow-white text: Cho kami event / Super god event
Big orange text: Ten kai chiyuu / Expanding
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!