Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Somebody posted a comparison of the SSG pose between Shintani, Yamamuro, & Toriyama.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OfficialDBU/ ... 6644631554

I really prefer Shintani's design a lot (not surprisingly).
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:
because he has actual sources, he knew what would be in the 2nd trailer days before it dropped and even posted about it in here and he was right
The 2nd trailer was dropped during the DBS panel at NYCC, before it was even released officially online. No doubt he would've gotten the details from someone else if he wasn't there, there were A LOT of people in that panel (I was there too). Heck, Nozawa said that was the first time she saw that trailer as well.

Wrong. The panel was on Friday, The trailer dropped on Thursday online. He posted what would be in the trailer a day or two before thursday.
I wasn't aware of that, the panel made it seem as if we were the ones who were the first to watch the trailer anywhere.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Melkaniator wrote:The fact that he hasn't it was all that matters.
Not really. Again, it's never too late to start.
Melkaniator wrote:And no, I don't think something silver in his attire would look good, Broly has it's matching SS hair pelt, and it looks horrible.
When you've yet to provide any reasoning as to why this supposedly is, I can't in good faith say "yeah, now it all makes sense".
Melkaniator wrote:Being a deal breaker is besides the point, having Goku and Vegeta return to their old attires instead of the (finally) new attires wasn't a deal breaker for me either, doesn't change the fact that it was a bad idea.
If it's "deal-breaker" status isn't the point, why is it so important you make it a point of how much you hate this thing for such obviously disproportionate reasons?
Melkaniator wrote:I disagree completely.

Most cards are from decent to awesome art, the Ultra Instinct one shown at the end before the DBH logo hits in their recent trailers is beautiful art, the Broly movie ones are the subpar ones.

Plus Heroes changed Vegetto's attire accordingly with Goku and Vegeta's attire at the time of fusion, and Goku: Xeno has a great new design, better work than Super in many of their designs.
Well I have to say I can't in good faith agree with that at all. Even if I didn't dislike Heroes on a conceptual level, I don't think any of it's characters look very good. They still stick to Yamamuro's stiff design traits, and they're covered in distracting glowy shit and effects. Either way, that really has nothing to do with the movie. I didn't judge Infinity War on the quality of it's promotional coloring book.
Melkaniator wrote: False.

I also said that the movie "will not explore anything I'm interested in" as in I don't really care about Broly, you might think it's too soon to tell, but going of by what they've done in Super, I kinda can tell when something will not be interesting to me.
That really isn't what you said, though. Not so long as you've been yelling at me. You're trying to retroactively change having called the entire film objective shit for several minor issues to "well it's just my opinion". If that was really the narrative you wanted to push from the start you would've taken a different approach. I mean, I'd been unhappy with the designs since the Boo saga ended, but I don't try to act like it's "so obvious" that anything after that arc was factually terrible, especially when the character designs don't effect the writing, direction, animation (sort of), soundtrack, sound design, casting, acting or pacing.
Melkaniator wrote: #1) You'll just keep missing the point apparently.
I know you really, really want to say this enough for it to be true, but I'm not actually going to let you operate under that misconception. I've listened and responded. You've chosen to ignore that because it makes it easier to attack.
Melkaniator wrote:Wasn't the intention, if you feel inferior that's on you.
Nice meme
Melkaniator wrote:And no, I'm not using this with anyone that's actually paying attention, you would know that if...

...well, if you paid attention.

I CLEARLY posted it was a "combination" if you didn't paid attention to that it's not me trying to "look superior" in anyway, but just me pointing what you did wrong at the time.
Besides the fact that it's still way too minor nitpicks for me to be able to see from your perspective (along with the whole "no elaboration" thing), I'm not sure what you're having trouble understanding about me thinking it's a bit of a silly overreaction, that's basically all I've said this whole time. You are trying to give a false sense of superiority, by the way, because you don't actually have anything else to stand on here. You're repeating a rhetoric of "you're not listening" and "it just DOES though" to avoid actually arguing anything.

It's all meaningless "he-said-she-said" semantics at this point with little to do with the movie, I'm really not sure why you bothered responding after this much time in the first place. I wasn't gonna suddenly jump back up and tell you why you're wrong again if you didn't respond. If you're really having such a horrible time that you want to resort to petty strawman tactics you should just let sleeping dogs lie.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:46 am

Melkaniator wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Bardock wearing a normal armor
Which is no different from the normal armor he wore in the TV special from decades ago.
100% false claim.

The OG was green, and had the spiky shoulders.
His OG armor didn't have spiky shoulders, and few parts of it were green colored.
Bardock's armor was hardly unique in design, his comrades were the same armor but with different colors.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:22 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Which is no different from the normal armor he wore in the TV special from decades ago.
100% false claim.

The OG was green, and had the spiky shoulders.
His OG armor didn't have spiky shoulders, and few parts of it were green colored.
Bardock's armor was hardly unique in design, his comrades were the same armor but with different colors.
The different colors is what made them unique.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:14 pm

I'm still mad that they announced Nappa and Raditz for the movie before Caulifla and Kale. That's a load of BS.
Caulifla best girl! :)

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm still mad that they announced Nappa and Raditz for the movie before Caulifla and Kale. That's a load of BS.
There's no reason for them to appear.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Melkaniator wrote:Even if the movie is good. With fandoms, people complain cause their favorite didn't do X.
I don't care about favorite characters, I care about decent story, cool fights, and variety.

I want Vegeta to defeat a main villain, not because I'm his hardcore fan, but because it's about time.[/quote]
Vegeta almost defeated Freeza in RoF. Until Toriyama made Goku steal the victory from him. :lol:

But yeah, I don't care about fandoms, I just want epic battles and power ups. I really think this movie will focus on that.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm still mad that they announced Nappa and Raditz for the movie before Caulifla and Kale. That's a load of BS.
Maybe they were announced first because Caulfila and Kale prob aint even gonna be in this movie?

At most, we may get a name drop and flashback of Kale raging out in Berserk when Goku, Vegeta, and/or Freeza see Broly’s final form.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
SSJgogeto wrote:
Melkaniator wrote:Bardock wearing a normal armor
I like that, actually. I don't see any sense in give him an exclusive armor.
Because he was the main character in that special, and as such he was given a more interesting look.
And that's dumb as hell. He's no special.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:11 pm

People say Dragon Ball is for the epic fights, so people shouldn’t expect more.

But what they don’t realize is a good 30 percent of an epic fight is context. If a fight is happening but the reason for it is trash, that will take some of the hype away from the fight and the interest away from the outcome/results of the fight. Of course, the a good 45 percent is the art and animation and the 25 that is left would probably be who is actually fight in the fight.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:36 pm

The reasons for DB's fights have always been cliche or bland. DB is entertainment and that is through fights and transformations.
People keep trying to turn this into something it isn't.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Nappa and Raditz are relevant to the flashback in the movie. Caulifla and Kale aren't even from the same universe. lol

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:34 pm

It's just logical that the characters that will appear in the movie are announced before the ones that won't. We may not even have Gohan/Krillin/etc in this movie...
The U6 girls have no chance. Maybe a Kale's mention by Goku/Vegeta when they see Broly full power form and that's it.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:55 pm

The moment it was revealed that the film takes place on Earth was when I knew the U6 Saiyans wouldn't show up.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:59 pm

You shouldn't expect to see them ever again.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Simere wrote:
Considering all the teasing in Super about going to Planet Sadala, it would be ridiculous not to have them appear again.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:30 pm

zarmack wrote:
Simere wrote:
Considering all the teasing in Super about going to Planet Sadala, it would be ridiculous not to have them appear again.

It would not surprise me if that’s just an anime only mini arc. Anyone expecting them to become mainstays or join the cast is deluding themselves imo

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:34 pm

They don't deserve to be in the movie

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:53 pm

zarmack wrote:
Simere wrote:
Maybe, but it's also ridiculous to expect it, I think. People act like those teases were foreshadowing, when really they were just empty nothingness; words as hollow as a rival character saying they'll get stronger and win someday.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:02 pm

There's no real reason to say they're absolutely going to planet Sadala, but we very obviously aren't done with the U6 saiyans yet. Not after the amount of focus they got in the ToP. Hit too, probably. Super in general has done a completely serviceable job of not forgetting any of the new characters it introduces. Zuno played a role in the black arc, Hit and Champa got their own episodes after that arc, and even Gowasu got a scene or two in the ToP (even though his entire team was lame except Obuni). I think saying we'll never see them again is pretty silly.