"Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Did it look like a new Toei master that's been cropped down for cinema screenings, or did it look like the crappy Funi master?
Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/0IoMgL-hb14

I never bought the Bardock & Trunks Blu-ray simply out of principle, but the Bardock footage in this trailer looks a bit soft... Someone more familiar with that release should chime in.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: "Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan" & more coming to U.S. Theaters later this year!

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:Did it look like a new Toei master that's been cropped down for cinema screenings, or did it look like the crappy Funi master?
Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/0IoMgL-hb14

I never bought the Bardock & Trunks Blu-ray simply out of principle, but the Bardock footage in this trailer looks a bit soft... Someone more familiar with that release should chime in.
Right... Thing is, ALL of the footage in that trailer is from the Funi masters, which was also the case for all the Broly trailers I've been made aware of, so this is no indication of what will actually hit cinema screens.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Right... Thing is, ALL of the footage in that trailer is from the Funi masters, which was also the case for all the Broly trailers I've been made aware of, so this is no indication of what will actually hit cinema screens.
This was what I saw in the theater. So weird, Funimation assets used to varying degrees for screenings they otherwise have nothing to do with. I guess we won't know for sure until November.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Robotori

Post by Robotori » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 pm

I'm SOOO f**king hyped that I made this fanart about the ONE and ONLY prince of the saiyans!
I hope you like it!

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:19 pm

Robotori wrote:I'm SOOO f**king hyped that I made this fanart about the ONE and ONLY prince of the saiyans!
I hope you like it!

F**k Yeah!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/yPrLwA16UKQ

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:48 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=przZcJUpEcE

What's with Freeza's laugh? That doesn't sound like Linda Young.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=przZcJUpEcE

What's with Freeza's laugh? That doesn't sound like Linda Young.
Hmm, I haven't watch FUNi dub Janemba in a while. Is it per chance the English dub Janemba's laugh edited over Freeza for some reason? They were kind of showing footage from both at once. Could've been a, uh, "creative" decision for this trailer?

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:12 pm

It's awkward editing, I believe the laugh is actually from the Kanassan alien Bardock encounters.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Broly made $658,982 during its 2 days in theatres. That's pretty impressive when you consider the limited amount of theatres and sessions, the fact that it's an older movie and it didn't get much promotion besides some posts on social media.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Broly made $658,982 during its 2 days in theatres. That's pretty impressive when you consider the limited amount of theatres and sessions, the fact that it's an older movie and it didn't get much promotion besides some posts on social media.
Well goddamn. If a movie that was dubbed 15 years ago can do those type of numbers in only 2 days in an extremely limited release...DBS Broly is gonna make allll the money.

Edit: Going off box office mojo it was actually 5 days:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?p ... zbroly.htm
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Edit: Going off box office mojo it was actually 5 days:

I noticed that, but the info just seems so iffy. On the 16th it made $1,569, on the 18th it made $13 and on the 19th it made $100. We can assume that on the 16th a few theatres decided to add another session without that many people knowing about it, but I don't know what the hell happened on the 18th and 19th. Box Office Mojo even kept the number of theatres showing the movie at 681 on those days, which is impossible when you consider how much it made.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Edit: Going off box office mojo it was actually 5 days:

I noticed that, but the info just seems so iffy. On the 16th it made $1,569, on the 18th it made $13 and on the 19th it made $100. We can assume that on the 16th a few theatres decided to add another session without that many people knowing about it, but I don't know what the hell happened on the 18th and 19th. Box Office Mojo even kept the number of theatres showing the movie at 681 on those days, which is impossible when you consider how much it made.
Ah, you're right. I wasn't really paying attention to the numbers :oops:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Broly made $658,982 during its 2 days in theatres. That's pretty impressive when you consider the limited amount of theatres and sessions, the fact that it's an older movie and it didn't get much promotion besides some posts on social media.
For a mediocre 2002 dub of an animated movie that originally came out in 1993, and had relatively little to no marketing, minimal screening and a very limited run in theaters, those are some damn good numbers.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Did anybody see Bardock an Fusion Reborn in theaters today? If so, how did Bardock look remastered?

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:18 am

From what I heard Bardock was 4:3.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 am

Went to today's screening and can confirm, Bardock was screened in 4:3. And, just like with the Broly screening, this is absolutely the best Dragon Ball has ever looked and sounded. Very excited for future home releases!

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Did they have the little pre special title screen that says Dragon Ball Z スペシャル (Special) before the OP of Bardock? I did hear that the eyecatches were kept.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:53 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Did they have the little pre special title screen that says Dragon Ball Z スペシャル (Special) before the OP of Bardock? I did hear that the eyecatches were kept.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Did they have the little pre special title screen that says Dragon Ball Z スペシャル (Special) before the OP of Bardock? I did hear that the eyecatches were kept.
Woah, even that too. This really is the most complete version of the special seen in America.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Woah, even that too. This really is the most complete version of the special seen in America.
Sure, besides the real audio track... :problem: