Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Also Geekdom didn't mention what form Gogeta took. I'm guessing SSB

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 pm

So at the basic level, it is a mix of DB Minus, bunch of Movie 8 references and straight up ripping off Movie 12. Lmao Toriyama. Not that surprising, but still pretty funny. JP fan reactions will be fun to follow.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Big Black Saiyan wrote:Also Geekdom didn't mention what form Gogeta took. I'm guessing SSB
Fingers crossed for SSBE Gogeta.... :think: :think: :think:

....but probably not.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:So at the basic level, it is a mix of DB Minus, bunch of Movie 8 references and straight up ripping off Movie 12. Lmao Toriyama. Not that surprising, but still pretty funny. JP fan reactions will be fun to follow.
It's ripping off Movie 12....because it includes using a fusion technique already explored earlier in the series? What? Just because we have two "new" characters using it?
Last edited by PFM18 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:27 pm

MegaBossMan wrote:-snip-
This is something I really heavily agree with. At least from a consistency, premise and setting perspective, Dragon Ball's writing had never really been well-paced or even all that special or amazing in general. For me, it's always been about the people. About the passion, personality, dynamics, expression and interaction of the characters I've grown to know and love as the series has progressed. The plot structure and most other elements of the story are just flashy, strange and partially-broken vehicles used to move those things around and keep them fresh. A fight means a lot more when the people involved are well-defined and relatable (not necessarily sympathetic, but understandable in their struggles), and that's something that's never really gone away even in Modern DB's strange mish-mash of old concepts and new. The execution is everything, it's all that matters to me.

And in this case, it's honestly very possible that things are looking good. They've gone out of their way to say Broly in this film is different, and given Shimada's interview and the lines about him as a person from the last trailer, I'm really starting to believe he may actually have some character, some conviction, even a gentle, personal side if they're really playing up his interactions with Cheelai (and his father?). I hope that the way Goku, Vegeta and Freeza (as well as the new characters) interact and bounce off of one another is similarly entertaining, because that's what I'm here for. I can see well-animated fights on thousands of shows, but only from Dragon Ball do you see Goku being Goku (and uh, not always even then). The reason the other older films mostly fail to me is because they tend to fail at showing this in any meaningful manner for their new characters.

Also, I don't doubt the idea that Gogeta Blue could appear, but I'd really like him to just be in God. It would be a neat way of incorporating his old SSJ4 design into the series proper. Gogeta is red, Vegetto is Blue.

Or just, y'know, axe Gogeta because fusions are boring and make up a new clever way to beat Broly

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:14 am

PFM18 wrote:
Big Black Saiyan wrote:Also Geekdom didn't mention what form Gogeta took. I'm guessing SSB
Fingers crossed for SSBE Gogeta.... :think: :think: :think:

....but probably not.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:So at the basic level, it is a mix of DB Minus, bunch of Movie 8 references and straight up ripping off Movie 12. Lmao Toriyama. Not that surprising, but still pretty funny. JP fan reactions will be fun to follow.
It's ripping off Movie 12....because it includes using a fusion technique already explored earlier in the series? What? Just because we have two "new" characters using it?
I mean, kinda. We’re getting the exact same scenario where Vegeta has to learn the dance and when they do it the first time they fail a create Veku as a gag and then later get it right and begin the beat down on the main antagonist. Its the same scenario with most of the same key characters and even the same gag. But hey, as long as i get my epic Gogeta vs Broly fight, I'm fine.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am

This is now what I'm going to think of when I hear Blizzard. Also, yes I'd watch a full dragon ball dance battle.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:16 am

Chuquita wrote:
This is now what I'm going to think of when I hear Blizzard. Also, yes I'd watch a full dragon ball dance battle.
Broly, when he's in his Legendary form, does the Irish dance.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:34 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Broly, when he's in his Legendary form, does the Irish dance.
So he's the legendary lord of the dance? I can see that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 am

Krillin is not in this movie. He's been in every Broly movie but this one and I'd rather have him in the film than Goten and Kid Trunks.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 am

So outside of Goku and Vegeta, no other Z fighter does anything of relevance in this film.

No Buu, 17, 18, Gohan, Krillin, Tien, Gotenks, Roshi, etc

And the guys who do make an appearance like Piccolo of course do absolutely positively nothing.

And no fighter from another universe either.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the flashbacks as seeing the Ginyu force, Bardock, King Cold, King Vegeta, etc will be interesting.

I'll watch the film because I know the action and animation will be amazing but I'm not super excited.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 am

omaro34 wrote:So outside of Goku and Vegeta, no other Z fighter does anything of relevance in this film.

And the guys who do make an appearance like Piccolo of course do absolutely positively nothing.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the flashbacks as seeing the Ginyu force, Bardock, King Cold, King Vegeta, etc will be interesting.

I'll watch the film because I know the action and animation will be amazing but I'm not super excited.
Piccolo teaches Vegeta the fusion dance, that's about as useful as he was during the Buu arc.

what did you expect? All of the other character's time has passed really, and they are no longer relevant characters in combat and don't seem to have any usefulness in this context.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 am

PFM18 wrote:
omaro34 wrote:So outside of Goku and Vegeta, no other Z fighter does anything of relevance in this film.

Piccolo teaches Vegeta the fusion dance, that's about as useful as he was during the Buu arc.

what did you expect? All of the other character's time has passed really, and they are no longer relevant characters in combat and don't seem to have any usefulness in this context.
I expected something different but I guess its asking too much. We've seen the Goku and Vegeta tag team time and time again. It's nothing new and not interesting imo.

17 has God level strength and fought God tier opponents valiantly, he would have been helpful against Broly. A good portion of the fandom misses Piccolo's role as a fighter. There are many ways to make him stronger but it never happens.

Goten and Trunks never age and that shows how important they are. And in a movie about Saiyans and their history they aren't even given a role.

Buu's gag of always sleeping will probably occur in this movie but it's not funny anymore. I'm not gonna mention the earthlings, and don't get me started on Gohan.

I'm not saying other characters should defeat the villain,
but my point is the cast could have been used better imo.

Freeza will be a cool element in the film though.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:28 am

GTx10 wrote:Krillin is not in this movie. He's been in every Broly movie but this one and I'd rather have him in the film than Goten and Kid Trunks.
You guys need to make up your mind. You complain about Trunks and Gotens lack of relevancy throughout Super, but turn around and complain about their potential involvement in a movie about saiyans and their history?

Krillin is useless and has no importance to the series at this point.
How i predict the tournament will end:

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:42 am

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:45 am

shadd21 wrote:
Beerus doesn't feel that he needs to destroy things in this context, he's not a moderator he's a destroyer. Also, he's established to be a very lazy and incompetent God of Destruction. Whis, we are still awaiting an explanation as to why he got involved. He didn't get "involved" too much though since he didn't actually try to take out Broly or even attack him in any way.
Last edited by PFM18 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 am

Not a fan of the plot... I think the first Broly movie was way more interesting and more tragic story wise.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:50 am

BrolyKale wrote:Not a fan of the plot... I think the first Broly movie was way more interesting and more tragic story wise.
How could you possibly draw this conclusion already?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 am

I’m glad to finally have gotten some spoilers, but I thought the thread would have a little warning that the spoilers have appeared a couple of days before the expected time if spoiler tags are not meant to be used much here. I don’t care about being spoiled myself, but the last thing I’d want is somebody who’s planning to stay away from this thread once the premiere is out stumbling upon this unexpected influx. For those people it would be so unfortunate, especially when they were only a couple of days away from leaving this thread.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:52 am

PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Not a fan of the plot... I think the first Broly movie was way more interesting and more tragic story wise.
How could you possibly draw this conclusion already?
I've just read the spoilers... that's it. It's not definitive too, I can change my mind once I see the movie, we will see.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu