Background Information on Coola and Tullece's Henchmen

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Background Information on Coola and Tullece's Henchmen

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:22 pm

This thread records the various extra background information for Tullece and Coola’s henchmen. None of this is mentioned in the movies themselves, but they have appeared in various official sources over the years. For this thread I’ve translated from either the original source (for Coola’s men) or the earliest source I know (for Tullece’s men). I first heard about this stuff from Olivier Hague, so my thanks to him.

Tullece Corps background info
This information is recorded on pages 183-185 of the Akira Toriyama: the World Anime Special, a special Weekly Jump collection released in October 1990. It covers DBZ movie 3 as well as several other Toriyama-related anime films: “Pink: the Water Bandit, the Rain Bandit”, “Kennosuke-sama” (both based on Toriyama’s short works), and “Kosuke-sama, Rikimaru-sama: the Dragon on Konpei Island” (an original anime story). All of these premiered at the 1990 summer Toei Anime Fair, which was itself called “Akira Toriyama: the World”, hence the name of the book. It’s possible this background information was introduced earlier, but Akira Toriyama: the World Anime Special is the earliest source I know.

Tulluce
While not offering any background as specific as those for his henchmen, it says that Tullece was a low-level Saiyan warrior who survived Planet Vegeta’s destruction by luck, and learned of the Shinsei-ju fruits’ power “by accident”. Wanting to rule the universe, he travelled around destroying planets and gaining more and more allies. So basically he’s evil space Luffy. He and his men all got stronger by repeatedly planting the Shinsei-ju on planets and eating its fruit (the movie itself mentions in passing that they’ve eaten the fruit many times before).

Kakao
A battle cyborg who used to be a lone-wolf space bounty hunter. However, he joined the Tullece Corps to further strengthen his cyborg body. His entire body is covered in a special metal, rendering him impervious to normal attacks. His chest, shoulders, and legs are equipped with high speed rocket burners, allowing him to dodge his opponents’ attacks with super speed.

Daiz
Though currently a member of the Tullece Corps, he used to be prince of the Pukimpa Dynasty on the Planet Kaporcha. When the Tullece Corps attacked Planet Kaborcha, he personally lead the army and bravely fought against them. In recognition of his courage, he was allowed into the Tullece Corps. A cool and nihilistic warrior, he wears earrings and a necklace, and is the first to fight Goku.

Rezun, Rakasei
The Tullece Corps’ twin warriors. Tullece used extract from the Shinsei-ju fruit to revive them from fossils of the Beanz People, discovered out on the frontiers of the universe. They have super technology unknown to humanity, and constructed the corps’ spaceship. Their bodies are small and ugly, but they both have high battle powers.

Amond
Formally a space criminal who rampaged throughout the entire galaxy, he was arrested by the space police and imprisoned in a jail on Planet Nutz. However, he made a jail break when Tullece attacked Planet Nutz, and joined the Tullece Corps. He has a viscous personality and overwhelming power.

Coola Armored Squad background information
This information was included in Weekly Shonen Jump No. 25, 1991, which ran a feature on the upcoming DBZ movie 5. Here is a scan of the page, courtesy of fox666. Certain bits of this background information is also mentioned in Daizenshuu 7 and the anime guide DBZ Son Goku Densetsu.

Sauzer
More cold-hearted than a machine! A cool leader!!
Home World: Planet Coola No.98 (formerly known as Planet Brench)
Battle Power: 170,000
Profile: He has a small frame due to being born on a planet with high gravity. However, this makes him very agile on other planets. He is very intelligent, capable of speaking 7,000 space languages. He fought with Ginyu to be leader of the Armored Squad, and is one of the people who know Ginyu’s true form. He and Jheese of the Special Squad come from the same star system, which has two suns.

Dore
The murderous champion of the Space Pro Wrestling League!!
Home World: Planet Coola No.256 (formally Planet Bepper)
Battle Power: 185,000
Profile: He was born on a world consisting of a continent surrounded by magma, giving him an extraordinarily tough body. He put this tough body to good use by wrestling in the Space Pro Wrestling League, going undefeated in 300 matches. However, he killed all of his opponents in the ring. This bloodthirstiness made him switch to being a Planet Warrior!

Neiz
Elastic arms and legs!! A master of Space Yoga!!
Home World: Planet Coola No.6 (formally Planet Zalt)
Battle Power: 163,000
Profile: His home world is nothing but water, and he evolved from a species of amphibian. His skin and bones are flexible and elastic, allowing him to pull his head into his chest, and stretch his arms to attack distant opponents. His body contains an electricity generator, which enables him to emit a high-voltage current to electrocute his enemies to death.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 pm

Thats some neat info, thanks for writing it.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:31 pm

That's awesome info, Salza is so lavished in backstory! I wonder why we didn't see more of him if they had all of this info layed out.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:51 pm

Is this seriously all legitimate? What a ridiculously specific bunch of information.

But Cooler's Battle Power throws me for a loop. There's no way a Super Saiya'jin could have toppled that.

So now I wonder if -all- of this is true.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:24 pm

Duo wrote:Is this seriously all legitimate? What a ridiculously specific bunch of information.

But Cooler's Battle Power throws me for a loop. There's no way a Super Saiya'jin could have toppled that.

So now I wonder if -all- of this is true.
According to the Wikipedia entry, all of the extra information on the Armored Squad appeared in Weekly Jump before the movie appeared. Now, obviously Wikipedia is far from infalliable (far far far far far baked beans far far far), but the fact that some of this information turned up in the daizenshuu supports the notion that it is official (also, I believe that Sparking! Meteor included the bit about Sauzer being from Jheeze's solar system). But is it all official, or was some of it thrown in by Wikipedia idiots? The only way to definitely prove that every piece of information is official would be to get a scan of the relevent issue(s?) of Weekly Jump. But the Japanese Wikipedia entries for Dragon Ball things seem very strict with using only official information.

As for Coola's battle power, well, that is from a different source than the rest of the information (V-Jump as opposed to Weekly Jump).

edit: Not sure where this fits in, but over on this old thread, Olivier Hague said that when the information on Sauzer and Ginyu competing with each other was printed in Weekly Jump, in went along with Toriyama's sketch of the character (presumably this sketch).

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:51 pm

Really interesting. I esspecially like the competing with Ginyu part.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:19 pm

Wow that is...awesome info. I wonder if they had laid out very specific details for every villain that showed up in each movie.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Snail wrote:I wonder if they had laid out very specific details for every villain that showed up in each movie.
The only other group of movie villians that seem to have anything are Tullece and his gang. I'm working on translating their information right now.

Herms

Post by Herms » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Here’s the background information on Tullece and his henchmen. This is was all orginally taken from the Japanese Wikipedia entry for DBZ movie 3., but I've expanded it with a some more information from the Akira Toriyama-The World anime special book. The only bit of information only found on Japanese Wikipedia is that Kakao was built on Planet Ikonda to fight an interstellar war.

Unfortunately there’s not much information on Tullece himself, but it does say that the reason he’s so strong is that he keeps eating the fruit of the Shinseiju (that is, Earth isn’t the first place he planted one, and the other times were successful). I think this actually got said at some point in the movie, but I could be wrong.

Amond was originally an atrocious criminal who rampaged throughout the entire galaxy, but was then was arrested and imprisoned by the Galactic Police, in a prison on Planet Nutts. But when Tullece attacked Planet Nutts, he freed Amond and let him into his group.

Daiz was the prince of the Pukinpa Dynasty on the Planet Kabocha, and led his kingdom’s army in an attack against Tullece. He fought so bravely against Tullece that Tullece let him become one of his men.

Kakao used to be a galactic lone-wolf bounty hunter. However, before even that he was originally a Battle Cyborg built on the planet Ikonda to fight in an interstellar war. He volunteered to join Tullece's group in order to strengthen his cyborg body, which is made from a special metal that makes him immune to ordinary attacks.

Lezun and Rakasei were revived by Tullece from the fossils of the long extinct Beenz people using extract from the Shinseiju. Their species is (well, was) extremely intelligent, and the two of them built Tullece and co.’s spaceship and the rest of their cool stuff.
Last edited by Herms on Sat May 02, 2009 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:20 am

This topic is full of win and awesome, thank you for sharing this--I've always wanted more info on these guys, if for no other reason then to spark the imagination, and fuel fanfics... but.. I must say...
those power levels make my eyes bleed. I have no problem with Cooler's power level... but...

If the events of Namek have taken place, and Sauza is that low... only 100 thousand range... how in the blue hell did he fight against Piccolo as well as he did. The same Piccolo who's own battle power ranged well over the one million mark after the adventure on Namek.

Makes no sense at all. :?

...wonder if there's background data like this for the individual members of the Ginyu Force. Asside from just the usual "Batta is the fastest, Gurd has special powers, etc etc.."
Last edited by FindKenshi on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:23 am

FindKenshi wrote:This topic is full of win and awesome, thank you for sharing this--I've always wanted more info on these guys, if for no other reason then to spark the imagination, and fuel fanfics... but.. I must say...
those power levels make my eyes bleed. I have no problem with Cooler's power level... but...

If the events of Namek have taken place, and Sauza is that low... only 100 thousand range... how in the blue hell did he fight against Piccolo as well as he did. The same Piccolo who's own battle power ranged well over the one million mark after the adventure on Namek.

Makes no sense at all. :?
I'm actually a little disturbed by the fact, also, that they all 3 significantly outstrip Ginyu. That just screws with the universe.

Cooler's base level shouldn't be that ridiculously high either if it's following the Daizenshuu, because that makes him stronger than Freeza, and he's only supposed to attain that while transformed.

Meh, we're nitpicking way too much at V-jumps numbers. They aren't really relevant to the good stuff.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:59 am

Yeah, Cooler's power is really absurd. I'd say he's probably 140,00,000 when he's transformed but not when he's in his normal form. x.x Especially since Goku fought only his base against Cooler in that form. He didn't even flare up the Kaio-ken.

And the Armored Squadron's powers are definitely too low. Dore had too easy of a time against Gohan to be that low and Piccolo had too much troulbe with Salza for him to be that low.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:20 pm

Good stuff, Herms, thanks for sharing! These little bits of information give the world of Dragonball more colour. These henchmen should all have their own interesting stories, because they were still incredibly powerful by normal standards! Learning about their planets, their occupations, their allegiances prior to being converted to Coola's service and the position they were in thanks to their power is really cool.

It's kind of low on the level of canon, but it doesn't contradict anything (well, except the part about the powerlevels) so it's a nice addition to DB's universe.
It's all GOOD

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:21 pm

It'd be cool if they actually did something with all this info and made some sort of backstories movie or something.
Last edited by SonEric84 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trans rights, now!

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:27 pm

Yeah they could make like a whole new series called "Dragonball origins" or something explaining background information on villains and henchmen. E.G. how Coola met up with Sauza ect... and show what planets and stuff they have taken over. That would be an awesome series.
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:13 pm

I wish Tullece had some cooler info, like how he escaped planet Vegita, atleast.

Didn't BT2/3 say somethign about him being a slave that escaped from a planet owned by Freeza or something along those lines?

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Stuff liek this isn't too uncommon. When you're making a story, you're bound to come up with background information you'll never use for your characters. Either because you can't find a way to integrate it or you feel it'd hurt the plot. Hell, several of my fanfic and RPG characters have intricately laid out backstories I'll probably never utilize.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:08 pm

B-kun wrote:Stuff liek this isn't too uncommon. When you're making a story, you're bound to come up with background information you'll never use for your characters. Either because you can't find a way to integrate it or you feel it'd hurt the plot. Hell, several of my fanfic and RPG characters have intricately laid out backstories I'll probably never utilize.
Yeah, I've had a fan character for Sonic the Hedgehog for about five years now, and I've only used a part of his back story for a plot once or twice (twice if you count a some weird interdimensionary shit, but I'm not sure it does).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:30 pm

I had no idea Turles's minions had such detailed backgrounds; interesting stuff. :mrgreen:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Good info.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.