Dragon Ball needs a New Generation?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball needs a New Generation?

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am

Dragon Ball wouldn't last without Goku.

One of the main reasons why GT was no good was because most of the main characters we all like weren't in that much but at least that did have Goku.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:00 am

I don't mind to see new protagonists as long as they are fun to follow. But I don't know if it will work without Goku... we never know.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 am

There's no need to push the view where going next generation means throwing out Goku. First of all, that is not going to happen. Goku has been the main character for far too long at this point, it's too late to change that (you're just gonna get "This isn't Dragon Ball anymore" complaints). And secondly, it's not even necessary to try to do that! You can easily introduce a new generation of fighters without "dethroning" Goku or even Vegeta. Don't try to replace the popular "main" characters that people are so attached to. Instead, expand the cast of active characters directly, or replace old members of the supporting cast.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:00 am

Alruneia wrote:There's no need to push the view where going next generation means throwing out Goku. First of all, that is not going to happen. Goku has been the main character for far too long at this point, it's too late to change that (you're just gonna get "This isn't Dragon Ball anymore" complaints). And secondly, it's not even necessary to try to do that! You can easily introduce a new generation of fighters without "dethroning" Goku or even Vegeta. Don't try to replace the popular "main" characters that people are so attached to. Instead, expand the cast of active characters directly, or replace old members of the supporting cast.
^

Not to mention that Gohan was a "new generation" character when introduced, so that's more than enough evidence that Goku doesn't have to be replaced if a new generation is created, just give them enough importance and it'll be fine. Though it will be difficult to do that with how powerful the characters are now...
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:17 pm

Majority of shonenes have the MC become and adult, get married and have kids and basically takes care of his kids, so heh as no time for adventures, it is his children's time for adventures.

Goku isnt like that, he only wants 1 thing, that is to get stronger. Family thing takes a backseat.

I'll give OP as an example, say Luffy finally becomes pirate king, he will be done, he got what he wanted that is it, Like Naruto, he became hokage and that was that. Goku? What he wants is practically infinite power and an infinite number of opponents which can give him a challenge. That is never ending.

I think that is why Goku will never leave the MC spot in DB, he never stops training and always is in search of strong people. Plus, Japan has a freaking day dedicated to Goku...dont see how you can top that lol.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 pm

New generation or not - DB needs to go back to having good stuff and parts written for the larger ensemble cast. Like in the 'golden days' - Saiyan, Freeza, Android, Cell sagas.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

The way to do so is introduce a character that will become the main protagonist sooner or later. Give him and Goku equal spotlight for a while so that people can get used to the character and can adapt into the transition of him become the main character. Slowly take less focus on Goku and put more on the soon-to-be protagonist. Eventually, have an event where Goku dies or sacrifices himself and cant come back.

By then, people will be used to this new protagonist getting the spotlight and hopefully they will have learned to like his character while also having adapted to having Goku as a main focus less and less so that when he dies, it won’t cause too much of a shift.

Heck, have the event of Goku’s final death happen in an arc that leads into either a finale movie or a TV special where Goku gets one last who-rah.

Do that and maybe you can pull it off.

Side notes:

-dont make the character a Goku clone

-give him or even her (since i wouldn’t mind a female protag) depth

Another idea: Rather than have a main protag. Have a main group of protags all with equal importance.

And during this new generation, keep some of the familiar db characters or places around. And even reference the past events of the show from time to time. This will make fans who have been so used to Goku feel less “show sick” about how major the change is.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Ehhh, I don't really think so. Dragon Ball is Goku's story. Sure, we can have a next gen, but i'd prefer if Goku was still 100 percent relevant simultaneously. Also, the whole next gen shtick didn't really work out as shown in the Boo Arc (at least in my opinion).

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:52 am

Tai Lung wrote:Well taking into account that many anime series had this type of sequel where the protagonist leaves the post to his legacy as the case of Digimon 2 and Kinnikuman nisei sometimes succeed and sometimes not.
This however has not been the case of Dragon Ball either in Z-GT-Super maybe sometimes in the movies but it is only momentary since the protagonist was always Goku but if they had let the legacy have the opportunity to continue it would have been a good idea? :D
That's way too Saiyan-centric. One thing I hope that dies with this current era of Dragon Ball is the Saiyan worship. Nerf plz! I like Saiyans, but its gets to the point were you wonder whats the point of anyone who's not a Saiyan.

What I want to see is this Image

I've been waiting for an anime based on this for nearly 10 years. This is the only natural place to take DB after, when nearly all the characters we know and love are dead and gone and a new generation with limited ties to the past begin an adventure anew. I want a DBO anime so so much. The whole Groundbreaking Science concept is just so amazing and expands the Dragon Ball world in such a unique way. Plus look at this potential cast. Don't they just look fun and adventurous? Like DQ meets DB.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Digimon Adventure 02 isn't a good example as they constantly nerfed the old characters for the sake of it.

I'm not up to date with the Boruto anime, but what I've seen has been good so far. So I think it would be good if they made some small stake scenarios for the new generation to have their spotlight while having big villains for Goku, Vegeta and co take care, just like Boruto. I really wouldn't mind Goten and Trunks being the new "dynamic duo" from the franchise.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:57 pm

zarmack wrote:When Super moves past the end of Z, they should definitely make "next gen" focused story arcs. Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Broly could serve as mentors for Caulifla, Cabba, Uub, Kale and whoever else would be apart of this new Z-Fighter group.

If you remove the whole "this is all a video game" thing and connect it to Super, DB Heroes Victory Mission would make a great next gen spinoff (it takes place 100 years after the end of GT). I wouldn't a Beat and Note focused story, with Goku and Vegeta being legends from the past.
Broly is probably still gonna be a mad man I don't see him mentoring anyone to be honest with you

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:17 am

New gen? No freaking way. Goku 4 life. If not, have Beerus be new MC and his adventures vs new stronger foes from some unknown universes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 am

BWri wrote:I've been waiting for an anime based on this for nearly 10 years. This is the only natural place to take DB after, when nearly all the characters we know and love are dead and gone and a new generation with limited ties to the past begin an adventure anew. I want a DBO anime so so much. The whole Groundbreaking Science concept is just so amazing and expands the Dragon Ball world in such a unique way. Plus look at this potential cast. Don't they just look fun and adventurous? Like DQ meets DB.
Though we have that golden stuff to be explored, I'm sure we are fine with just retellings, tournaments and bringing back old and unnecessary villains instead. :wink:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Grimlock wrote:
BWri wrote:I've been waiting for an anime based on this for nearly 10 years. This is the only natural place to take DB after, when nearly all the characters we know and love are dead and gone and a new generation with limited ties to the past begin an adventure anew. I want a DBO anime so so much. The whole Groundbreaking Science concept is just so amazing and expands the Dragon Ball world in such a unique way. Plus look at this potential cast. Don't they just look fun and adventurous? Like DQ meets DB.
and bringing back old and unnecessary villains instead. :wink:
dragon ball heroes and video games do that all the time

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:19 pm

The only villains Dragon Ball Heroes brought back were Cooler and Hatchiyack (in a major role, counting ones that briefly "returned"/minor role), and the game is doing a better job with them. Can't say the same for Freeza and his role in the "main series" though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Grimlock wrote:The only villains Dragon Ball Heroes brought back were Cooler and Hatchiyack (in a major role, counting ones that briefly "returned"/minor role), and the game is doing a better job with them. Can't say the same for Freeza and his role in the "main series" though.
he was an important character to win the tournament of power had it not been for frieza, the universe 7 to have lost
and apparently it will be important to beat broly

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:17 am

This might be a fairly controversial opinion, but I would immediately lose all interest in DB if Goku and co. were no longer the focus. To me, Dragon Ball IS Goku. It IS this specific cast of characters. I don't think people realize just how utterly generic and bland the world of Dragon Ball really is. There is nothing that sets it apart from contemporaries. I think the major reason people are invested is because of this large cast of characters we've grown up with over several decades, and if you take those away, you're left with nothing but a dry husk of a shonen where spiky haired buff guys throw generic energy blasts at each other.

The hard truth, to me anyway, is that Dragon Ball brings nothing unique to the shonen table anymore other than it's current characters. You take that away, and there is no reason I would have to watch the show anymore. I can get better fights in other animes. I can get better writing in other animes. I can get better production value, music, pacing, etc. in other animes. I can get literally better ANYTHING in other animes. The only trump card this show still has is its characters.

Long story short, people overestimate how interesting the universe of DB is, and they underestimate the value this specific set of characters brings to the table.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Artorias wrote:This might be a fairly controversial opinion, but I would immediately lose all interest in DB if Goku and co. were no longer the focus. To me, Dragon Ball IS Goku. It IS this specific cast of characters. I don't think people realize just how utterly generic and bland the world of Dragon Ball really is. There is nothing that sets it apart from contemporaries. I think the major reason people are invested is because of this large cast of characters we've grown up with over several decades, and if you take those away, you're left with nothing but a dry husk of a shonen where spiky haired buff guys throw generic energy blasts at each other.

The hard truth, to me anyway, is that Dragon Ball brings nothing unique to the shonen table anymore other than it's current characters. You take that away, and there is no reason I would have to watch the show anymore. I can get better fights in other animes. I can get better writing in other animes. I can get better production value, music, pacing, etc. in other animes. I can get literally better ANYTHING in other animes. The only trump card this show still has is its characters.

Long story short, people overestimate how interesting the universe of DB is, and they underestimate the value this specific set of characters brings to the table.
You could always create new interesting characters and hire a completely different development team for a next-gen DB series.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:46 pm

zarmack wrote:
Artorias wrote:This might be a fairly controversial opinion, but I would immediately lose all interest in DB if Goku and co. were no longer the focus. To me, Dragon Ball IS Goku. It IS this specific cast of characters. I don't think people realize just how utterly generic and bland the world of Dragon Ball really is. There is nothing that sets it apart from contemporaries. I think the major reason people are invested is because of this large cast of characters we've grown up with over several decades, and if you take those away, you're left with nothing but a dry husk of a shonen where spiky haired buff guys throw generic energy blasts at each other.

You could always create new interesting characters and hire a completely different development team for a next-gen DB series.
Yes, you COULD do that. But Toei have proven to me that they are utterly incapable of introducing new characters and making them compelling.

And hell, even if they DID manage to bring us a totally new, well written cast, that still doesn't really address my issues, because like I said, at that point I would just go somewhere that has well written characters AND better combat, story, lore, etc. The only thing keeping me here at this point is the main cast I grew up with because frankly...DB just isn't all that interesting without Goku and friends.

Like I said, I don't really expect this to be an opinion shared by many people, but it's just my brutal honesty.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 am

I'm of the DB isn't DB without Goku. This is Goku's story, I really don't feel a new generation would be even remotely able to fill the shoes of such a prodigious character.