"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowfox87 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 am

PFM18 wrote: The only aura time an aura existed in CSSB is in that scene with Vegeta when he got that power-up. Otherwise it never has an aura and it constantly has an aura in the movie. Therefore, it is not CSSB and the manga-specific form(s) aren't in it just as the anime-specific forms weren't in it.
Yea, what I'm saying is that the SSB forms Goku and Vegeta are using are not CSSB, but in fact the form that Vegeta gained in the ToP, the one in which he has a light blue aura surrounded by a darker blue aura. Goku must have achieved this as well after training with Vegeta.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
PFM18 wrote: The only aura time an aura existed in CSSB is in that scene with Vegeta when he got that power-up. Otherwise it never has an aura and it constantly has an aura in the movie. Therefore, it is not CSSB and the manga-specific form(s) aren't in it just as the anime-specific forms weren't in it.
Yea, what I'm saying is that the SSB forms Goku and Vegeta are using are not CSSB, but in fact the form that Vegeta gained in the ToP, the one in which he has a light blue aura surrounded by a darker blue aura. Goku must have achieved this as well after training with Vegeta.
Let's just see what the manga does in broly arc. Right now, just baseless speculation and far reaching. Even though in the promo art, we clearly see ssj broly taking on MSSJ BLUE goku and vegeta.
Last edited by Son-Kakaroto on Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 am

IM21 wrote:just checked the new video of TNM on Toyotaro. He needed 12 minutes to tell the viewers that the problems are panelling, reused images and homages. Things pretty much everyone knows and could be said in 10 seconds. Also if you're a comic/manga creator don't look up to Toyo but to other, much better mangaka... It's like saying if you're into movie making don't look at Michael Bay, but be like Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan or Akira Kurosawa.
I think there is something even more important than who to look up to become a mangaka , and that is hard work for free , toyotaro, one ( o.p.m ) are good examples of that , they create some web series without any publisher and based in his work and merits their flowers become fruits .
Regular, decent and consistent work is one of the keys for that , there’s tons of artist who can draw a nice panel of goku here and there , but time matters in the balance .
I kind of agree with the criticism towards some of toyotaro panel composition ,reaction panels abuse ,that’s mostly happening in this t.o.p arc , the criticism is well deserved, but it’s kind an exaggeration the way he presented it . Toyo did great things in last chapter fight jiren vs goku and they weren’t point .
I think people wants a god drawing DBS Manga , and just so you know , toriyama is not drawing dbs manga anymore , toyo is good , and if there’s any god mangaka out there , they are not meant to draw dragon ball , they will do his own series .
Also , it’s very simple , if he’s that bad like most of the community is saying , I’m sure another one can create something better , right now is a good opportunity, go for it , start to work hard releasing free chapter after chapter like toyo and others did and some still are doing , provide me links of art fans series enjoyable, let’s help to get out of the anonymous them if they are worthed, that YouTuber could be a good editor right ? All of them... all of you guys..
Some people think Japanese (Shueisha) don’t know anything , when the are the Kings of doing comic manga , while most of the people who talk like they know everything, they just talk and do nothing else .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:39 am

shadowfox87 wrote:
Well even Vegeta's new aura probably isn't even anything more than just an aura flaring up briefly rather than a new form entirely. In the anime when he got his boost in 126, he just kind of had a huge aura flare up too but it wasn't as though he achieved another new form. CSSB is still CSSB, regardless of a one-off scene where he had an aura.

If CSSB had been replaced with something better and Vegeta was the first to achieve it, it sure as hell would have been a bigger deal than it was. It definitely would have been actually explained even if this was a new form entirely that suddenly just contradicts the entire premise of CSSB.
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
Let's just see what the manga does in broly arc. Right now, just baseless speculation and far reaching. Even though in the promo art, we clearly see ssj broly taking on MSSJ BLUE goku and vegeta.
They just don't have auras at that particular time. Doesn't mean it is CSSB/MSSB at all they aren't going to have an aura at all times. In the anime, against Jiren they had no aura for prolonged periods quite frequently.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:49 am

PFM18 wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
Well even Vegeta's new aura probably isn't even anything more than just an aura flaring up briefly rather than a new form entirely. In the anime when he got his boost in 126, he just kind of had a huge aura flare up too but it wasn't as though he achieved another new form. CSSB is still CSSB, regardless of a one-off scene where he had an aura.

If CSSB had been replaced with something better and Vegeta was the first to achieve it, it sure as hell would have been a bigger deal than it was. It definitely would have been actually explained even if this was a new form entirely that suddenly just contradicts the entire premise of CSSB.
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:
They just don't have auras at that particular time. Doesn't mean it is CSSB/MSSB at all they aren't going to have an aura at all times. In the anime, against Jiren they had no aura for prolonged periods quite frequently.
Yeah, I hope toyotaro just throws everything out the window of what he wrote in chapter 39-42, because that part of the manga writing was utterly abysmal and made no sense. I legitmatley don't even know how strong gohan and kefla are. Because kale's power made even berrus freeze, then she fused with cualifa and somehow gohan was strong enough to fight her EVENLY, but yet gohan wasn't as strong as goku.... terrible. Toyotaro was on that toei Sh*t when writing those chapters. Plus vegeta got a power-up out of nowhere with no explaination even though mssj blue is the 100% FULL power of ssj blue. I don't think goku and vegeta will have any auras in the broly manga arc. I could be wrong, let's see.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:Yeah, I hope toyotaro just throws everything out the window of what he wrote in chapter 39-42, because that part of the manga writing was utterly abysmal and made no sense. I legitmatley don't even know how strong gohan and kefla are. Because kale's power made even berrus freeze, then she fused with cualifa and somehow gohan was strong enough to fight her EVENLY, but yet gohan wasn't as strong as goku.... terrible. Toyotaro was on that toei Sh*t when writing those chapters. Plus vegeta got a power-up out of nowhere with no explaination even though mssj blue is the 100% FULL power of ssj blue. I don't think goku and vegeta will have any auras in the broly manga arc. I could be wrong, let's see.
Well I thought that was done very poorly but I'm not one to ask as a grounds for comparison because I'm usually not a fan of Toyotaro's writing in general and this is no exception. I will say I don't mind Vegeta's power-up in the manga in and of itself, but he didn't do much with it because knocking Toppo around/off isn't really a huge achievement because he wasn't ever really built up as a big threat to begin with, and he ultimately didn't do much to Jiren.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 am

PFM18 wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:Yeah, I hope toyotaro just throws everything out the window of what he wrote in chapter 39-42, because that part of the manga writing was utterly abysmal and made no sense. I legitmatley don't even know how strong gohan and kefla are. Because kale's power made even berrus freeze, then she fused with cualifa and somehow gohan was strong enough to fight her EVENLY, but yet gohan wasn't as strong as goku.... terrible. Toyotaro was on that toei Sh*t when writing those chapters. Plus vegeta got a power-up out of nowhere with no explaination even though mssj blue is the 100% FULL power of ssj blue. I don't think goku and vegeta will have any auras in the broly manga arc. I could be wrong, let's see.
Well I thought that was done very poorly but I'm not one to ask as a grounds for comparison because I'm usually not a fan of Toyotaro's writing in general and this is no exception. I will say I don't mind Vegeta's power-up in the manga in and of itself, but he didn't do much with it because knocking Toppo around/off isn't really a huge achievement because he wasn't ever really built up as a big threat to begin with, and he ultimately didn't do much to Jiren.
I do, because it wasn't explained and is unnecessary, since vegeta already has the full power of blue in him. It felt cheap and a waist of time. Yeah, toppo was a disappointment because toyo gave him little screen time. Idk about doing to much to jiren, jiren is well.. JIREN. lol. But yeah, it was kinda uncreative. Toyo probably is rushing this thing anyway to meet his broly deadlines, so I hope this ToP was just a blip and he produces some good work in the broly arc.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am

batistabus wrote:Toriyama is a manga god, Toyotaro is a decent rookie without artistic training.
This is why these videos that compare them are stupid. You don't need 10, 15, 20 minutes to show why Toriyama is better (other than for that sweet youtube money).

Toriyama is a once in a generation talent that created the biggest anime/manga franchise of all time. And it was his second long-running serialized manga. Of course Toriyama's manga is better on a technical level. It's like comparing a person who just left art school to Picasso.

Even so, Toyotaro is still the only person to be able to write a facsimile of Toriyama effectively. Like I've said numerous times, it's been 25+ years of people trying to write Dragonball stories and creating thoughtless, pathos-less, generic "stories" that really only serve as an excuse to mash all the action figures together. Utter nonsense. Toyotaro's manga is the only non-Toriyama thing that's provided a real dragonball story since the original manga ended.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 am

prince212 wrote:
IM21 wrote:just checked the new video of TNM on Toyotaro. He needed 12 minutes to tell the viewers that the problems are panelling, reused images and homages. Things pretty much everyone knows and could be said in 10 seconds. Also if you're a comic/manga creator don't look up to Toyo but to other, much better mangaka... It's like saying if you're into movie making don't look at Michael Bay, but be like Steven Spielberg, Christopher Nolan or Akira Kurosawa.
I think there is something even more important than who to look up to become a mangaka , and that is hard work for free , toyotaro, one ( o.p.m ) are good examples of that , they create some web series without any publisher and based in his work and merits their flowers become fruits .
Regular, decent and consistent work is one of the keys for that , there’s tons of artist who can draw a nice panel of goku here and there , but time matters in the balance .
I kind of agree with the criticism towards some of toyotaro panel composition ,reaction panels abuse ,that’s mostly happening in this t.o.p arc , the criticism is well deserved, but it’s kind an exaggeration the way he presented it . Toyo did great things in last chapter fight jiren vs goku and they weren’t point .
I think people wants a god drawing DBS Manga , and just so you know , toriyama is not drawing dbs manga anymore , toyo is good , and if there’s any god mangaka out there , they are not meant to draw dragon ball , they will do his own series .
Also , it’s very simple , if he’s that bad like most of the community is saying , I’m sure another one can create something better , right now is a good opportunity, go for it , start to work hard releasing free chapter after chapter like toyo and others did and some still are doing , provide me links of art fans series enjoyable, let’s help to get out of the anonymous them if they are worthed, that YouTuber could be a good editor right ? All of them... all of you guys..
Some people think Japanese (Shueisha) don’t know anything , when the are the Kings of doing comic manga , while most of the people who talk like they know everything, they just talk and do nothing else .
I'd also love to see that someone starts doing things on their own. I see a lot of people correcting Toyo's panels, so I am sure they would be great at editing a new project. But we all know that will never happen. In 5 days when the next chapter comes there will be just another video where the youtuber will be talking how Toyo pretty much sucks and Toriyama was way better. I love it how someone needs 10+ minutes just to say that. Anyways, it's really easy to criticise things when you know all of your fanbase will be happy with it.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:31 am

really Excited for the next chapter, just reread the last and it was great. I'm looking forward to the 21st!

Really wanna see how they handle vegeta getting knocked out and 17/Freeza...
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am

https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/1063428761444470790 So the next arc might be a "manga original" arc? :?:

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:19 am

prince212 wrote: I think there is something even more important than who to look up to become a mangaka , and that is hard work for free , toyotaro, one ( o.p.m ) are good examples of that , they create some web series without any publisher and based in his work and merits their flowers become fruits .
Toriyama art style has regressed. I'd want him to draw DBS as much as I want to see the Jaco manga get a sequel. Pretty sure when/if we ever get his character designs on the Broly film, they're going to look like nothing compared to Shintani's I'll tell you that.

And I do agree that comparing Toyo to Toriyama when he was at his peak is a bit unfair. The worst thing about Toyo are his excessive reaction panels, but even then they doesn't severely detract from the main story at hand.
IM21 wrote: I'd also love to see that someone starts doing things on their own. I see a lot of people correcting Toyo's panels, so I am sure they would be great at editing a new project. But we all know that will never happen. In 5 days when the next chapter comes there will be just another video where the youtuber will be talking how Toyo pretty much sucks and Toriyama was way better. I love it how someone needs 10+ minutes just to say that. Anyways, it's really easy to criticise things when you know all of your fanbase will be happy with it.
I own all the Japanese manga volumes for DBS. If anything, I think that the number of panels per page make the books worth my buck lol.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:34 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/1063428761444470790 So the next arc might be a "manga original" arc? :?:
No Brolli manga arc?!

That's..huh. I guess I'll keep an eye out for the light novel then.

Manga original arc feels a bit iffy to me. Depends on what it's about.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:37 am

There is a possible explanation for the Kefla thing if you think about it, Kale is specificaly said to have gotten weaker after rampaging for a while, and Caulifla got slapped around by Freeza for a while, so she wasn't in top condition too, and in the Black story arc, we see Vegetto using a senzu to go back to full powerm so Kefla herself could be much weaker than she should be since neither Kale or Caulifla were in top conditions.

I say possible explanation 'cause they don't actualy explain this in the manga, and DB is the kind of story that likes to chew the information for the reader, even obvious stuff, so this may be a headcanon.
BlueBasilisk wrote:https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/1063428761444470790 So the next arc might be a "manga original" arc? :?:
That's interesting, since it's manga original, perhaps it's the idea of a story Toyotaro created?
Chuquita wrote:
No Brolli manga arc?!

Well, it's possible that the Broly manga arc will happen, this story might just happen before it.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am

I guess Toyotaro and the higher-ups don't want to spoil Broly movie to everyone via the manga, since it will still be in Cinemas by the time 2nd chapter would come out.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:43 am

Lukmendes wrote:Well, it's possible that the Broly manga arc will happen, this story might just happen before it.
Xeogran wrote:I guess Toyotaro and the higher-ups don't want to spoil Broly movie to everyone via the manga, since it will still be in Cinemas by the time 2nd chapter would come out.
If this is actually true, then this is what I'm expecting at the moment, that Toyotaro is creating a "filler arc" of sorts so as to not steal any thunder from the Broly movie. If this is the case, then the arc will probably not be all that long, and he'll get to the Broly arc right afterwards.
Also, if things like this are starting to leak about the upcoming chapter, then maybe it's about that time.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:45 am

Chuquita wrote:
No Brolli manga arc?!

Don't worry they'll slap on "from the mind of Akira Toriyama!" onto the promotion of the new manga saga to cover their fanbases.

Though I don't care either way, really. I would like to see more original content from Toyotarou.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 am

Alruneia wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:Well, it's possible that the Broly manga arc will happen, this story might just happen before it.
Xeogran wrote:I guess Toyotaro and the higher-ups don't want to spoil Broly movie to everyone via the manga, since it will still be in Cinemas by the time 2nd chapter would come out.
If this is actually true, then this is what I'm expecting at the moment, that Toyotaro is creating a "filler arc" of sorts so as to not steal any thunder from the Broly movie. If this is the case, then the arc will probably not be all that long, and he'll get to the Broly arc right afterwards.
Also, if things like this are starting to leak about the upcoming chapter, then maybe it's about that time.
Theres no way he will skip Broly, if he has any control. Original manga arc could also be Broly, not the first time this has happened. The manga doesn’t take the animation into its continuity so of course its original to the manga if you only read it.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:11 am

Was it mentioned that this new manga story will follow the Broly movie? I think I read this somewhere.

If this is the case, then maybe the anime will also come back to retell the film and cover new arcs

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:13 am

Woah. If this is true then I'll be more excited for it than the film (narrative wise). Toyotaro has proven to be a lot more competent at telling basic stories than the anime, even if the Super manga is still a pretty poor product, all things considered.