Why Is SSJGSSJ Blue Instead Of Orange?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm

The red hair of SSJG combined with the yellow hair of SSJ would make orange if I'm not mistaken, but why would SSJGSSJ instead bounce over into blue? I can get that Toriyama & Toei would want to use the primary colors for transformations because it is a nice, artistic aesthetic. However, shouldn't the color blue have been reserved for a different form of SSJ when the description of SSJGSSJ is that it is a SSJG with the appearance of a SSJ thus it would be orange color-wise?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Bullza
Banned

Re: Why Is SSJGSSJ Blue Instead Of Orange?

Post by Bullza » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:56 am

It doesn't have to work like that I suppose.

Why does Super Saiyan 4 Goku have black hair instead of the brown or gold that was shown as a Great Ape? Why does Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta have red hair when Goku and Vegeta have black hair? Gotenks just had the hair colour of Goten and Trunks, black and purple after all.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 am

Because orange would be hideous and Blue gives off more of the idea that this is a tranquil, controlled state. Orange is more of a fiery color that would be redundant if we already had a red SSJ

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 am

PFM18 wrote:Because orange would be hideous and Blue gives off more of the idea that this is a tranquil, controlled state. Orange is more of a fiery color that would be redundant if we already had a red SSJ
Not to mention that SSG's aura has a lot of orange in it already, and having a similar aura with SSGSS would just look silly.

It's different than with the regular SS forms, since those are all part of the same basic form. But SSB is distinct from SSG in many ways, and is meant to be that way.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 pm

It would look ugly especially on Goku considering his gi is orange, glad they choose the color blue.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Spider-Man wrote:It would look ugly especially on Goku considering his gi is orange, glad they choose the color blue.
But blue & orange clash as well...

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

PFM18 wrote:Because orange would be hideous and Blue gives off more of the idea that this is a tranquil, controlled state. Orange is more of a fiery color that would be redundant if we already had a red SSJ
It makes sense to be an even more fiery color since that's what SSJG was. A flame that becomes more intense seems more in-line with how DB presents a stronger form of an existing transformation.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Bullza wrote:It doesn't have to work like that I suppose.

Why does Super Saiyan 4 Goku have red hair instead of the brown or gold that was shown as a Great Ape? Why does Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta have red hair when Goku and Vegeta have black hair? Gotenks just had the hair colour of Goten and Trunks, black and purple after all.
All good questions, but my question is why does SSJGSSJ turn into a color that hasn't pre-existed or isn't just a mismatch of existing colors?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 pm

theherodjl wrote:
It makes sense to be an even more fiery color since that's what SSJG was. A flame that becomes more intense seems more in-line with how DB presents a stronger form of an existing transformation.
But that defeats the purpose of SSB. SSB is a culmination of mastering God Ki. It is a very controlled, tranquil state, not this fiery rage monster like every other SSJ form.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 pm

PFM18 wrote:But that defeats the purpose of SSB. SSB is a culmination of mastering God Ki. It is a very controlled, tranquil state, not this fiery rage monster like every other SSJ form.
SSJG isn't a fiery monster though, it is a tranquil form in itself because it reduces the muscle mass of the user as well as no spiky hair.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:36 am

theherodjl wrote:
PFM18 wrote:But that defeats the purpose of SSB. SSB is a culmination of mastering God Ki. It is a very controlled, tranquil state, not this fiery rage monster like every other SSJ form.
SSJG isn't a fiery monster though, it is a tranquil form in itself because it reduces the muscle mass of the user as well as no spiky hair.
But it's also very intense and hot-blooded, like youth.

In that sense, SSG is the youthful form filled with power and stamina that dissipates quickly, while SSB is the calmer and more reserved form that lasts longer and is more controllable, but it has a bit less stamina.

StalkerUKCG

Post by StalkerUKCG » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:51 pm

Isn't the intention to reflect flames

Yellow to Red to Blue to White

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:25 pm

According to Toriyama, the SSGSS's blue hair was to express that by overcoming a certain limit, Goku became strong and calm at the same time, able to maintain composure in a fight.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:20 am

Maybe because an orange SSJGSSJ would resemble a normal golden SSJ? The forms have the same hair design, so it could create confusion.
Blue is a very tranquil color that fits the perfect Ki-control the form has.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:11 pm

I think that a total outfit change via random dumb rule-of-cool magic a la SSJ4 would've made SSJGSSJ more interesting and impactful. Maybe an all-white fighting outfit to go along with the blue hair, it would've more prominently communicated the difference between it and the uncontrolled red state.'

To just have the blue hair doesn't really do it for me, and I kind of sympathize with OP in that orange-ish, "fiery" hair would've satisfied my lust for logic.
Last edited by Cursed Lemon on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Because it's not actual hair dye/paint :lol:

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 pm

Because Ki is magical. Also it looks odd.
Weird look right here. Although I'm not too big on blue either as the color.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Orange (just like with some fan creations with SSJG) with Kaio Ken would look awful. Blue is much better. A much better pallete of colors to choose from. Evolved Blue is an example of that and the Kaio Ken proves that Blue was needed for the contrast.
P O W E R

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Ewwwww, Goku would match his uniform :lol:. In all seriousness though, I don't think it would be too bad compared to blue and it would align more with the fire motif of the SSJ color theory. Either way, I'd likely hate it a little less than I hate blue unless the aura was good. Transformations are better as simple eye color and aura changes, and maybe some slight changes to hair shape but not color. Please, no more hair color changes!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:13 am

It's a matter of having a very contrasted color to easily distinguish the base form from the Super Saiyan, whether it's with God energy or not.

Just like it's easy to distinguish a black-haired person from a blond/golden-haired person (black/blond opposite), it's easy to distinguish the Godly base form with it's red hair than the Godly Super Saiyan form with it's blue hair (red/blue opposite).

Toriyama could have gone for all kinds of colors as long as they presented a sharp contrast to the red (for example, he might have avoided pink or purple or orange). And among the colors that are clearly very different from red, he chose blue for the sense of great calm, serenity and self-composure.