Does the Super Manga feel incomplete?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Does the Super Manga feel incomplete?

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 am

The manga skipped Ressurection F and now Broly. I understand why they skipped them, but at the same time the manga feels somewhat incomplete. Does anyone else feel this way?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Re: Does the Super Manga feel incomplete?

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:46 am

It's not that big of a deal when you understand that toyotaro doesen't have full soverignty over how he writes his manga like other mangaka do.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:06 am

I don't look at the manga as a standalone thing. I view it more as a supplement to Toriyama's films. When viewed that way, it's perfectly complete (if a tad too brisk with its arc finales). If viewed entirely on its own, though, it's definitely incomplete.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:14 am

Yes, and it’s honestly a shame. When all is said and done, the manga will not be able to stand on its own. No one will ever be able to do a pure read of just he manga and get Super’s full story.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:29 am

Zephyr wrote:I don't look at the manga as a standalone thing. I view it more as a supplement to Toriyama's films. When viewed that way, it's perfectly complete (if a tad too brisk with its arc finales). If viewed entirely on its own, though, it's definitely incomplete.
Same. Only without the films its incomplete.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 am

It definitely feels like the SparkNotes version. Aside from the Black arc, which felt closer to a solid arc. The ToP was completely rushed and just felt like he touched on plot points. "Here's Kefla", "There's Aniraza", "Toppo and Dyspo are out", "Hey guys, it's Ultra Instinct Time." "Oops, we're done guys"

As for skipping Broly, I could see it if there was a promotional manga done like Ressurection F. But that not being the case and us most likely getting a retelling when the anime series comes back, it's definitely lackluster.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 am

Well, there was a RoF spin-off written by Toyotaro. That was to promote the RoF movie, so we can assume that the events of the RoF movie happened in the same way in the manga. This goes for the DBS Broly arc as well. If you think like that, then it's fine. If not, then just fill in the blanks yourself using your own logic and imagination.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 am

Some areas I do feel that the anime has the better idea (emphasis on idea). The manga is more condensed and to the point but I feel that there could be some room for explorational development of other characters. Although I'm not exactly shedding any tears over Broly being skipped. His archetype doesn't appeal to me at all and I would prefer to delve into new material since the Tournament of Power was succinctly navigated through.

My normal answer is that if the workload of characters and events placed upon the shoulders of the author is too much then don't accept the burden in the first place. Rather than having an anarchic ten man free-for-all, Toyotaro could have had the tournament condensed to just five men, leaving forty in total to work with. It's still a hefty amount but hopefully more manageable -- though we might not get the sub-plot with Freeza or #17 since the five preferred fighters would have likely turned out to be Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo and Krillin.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

It does feel incomplete and that's part of the reason I stopped buying the volumes (the other being gradually losing interest in the manga version) but now that it's the only game in town I have to follow the individual chapters at least if I want to know what's happening in the next arc.

I feel the incompleteness really only hurts it in the long run when you want to go back and read through only to be missing two arcs now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm

It's skipping story arcs, so yeah it feels incomplete.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Zephyr wrote:I don't look at the manga as a standalone thing. I view it more as a supplement to Toriyama's films. When viewed that way, it's perfectly complete (if a tad too brisk with its arc finales). If viewed entirely on its own, though, it's definitely incomplete.
This is a very good idea. Actually the 4 chapters of BoG was unnecessary.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:23 pm

I'd love to see Toyo finish his RoF arc and I think it wouldn't take more than 2 chapters. I feel the same about Broly. I don't mind it's being skipped right now, but I still think it should be made into a manga so that we can have all the arcs.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Sani007 wrote:
This is a very good idea. Actually the 4 chapters of BoG was unnecessary.
If they were never a part of the serialization, I'd agree, but I think they serve a good function in the narrative. If one watches the two films first, then the "Battle of Gods retelling" simultaneously acts as an extended recap of the first one, and a prologue to the Champa arc.

It shows us that Beerus searching for the Super Saiyan God distracted him, allowing Champa to search for the Super Dragon Balls. It also shows that this search prompts Sorbet to bring Freeza back to life. This recontextualizes the first two films to more closely tie into, and culminate in, the Hakaishin Invitational Tournament.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

There will be a broly movie manga like rof, have no idea if it’ll be complete. Due out in december saikyo jump.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Just talking about skipping R.o.F , of course will be better to have that battle inside the manga , that aside, there’s not too much to miss that was not mentioned in flashbacks , may be Whis ability to go back in time ?
With broly movie seems to be the same case , so yeah it’s incomplete, not having some great fights , that rarely can be better in a manga when the movies put a lot of effort into it .
It bothers me a little, not a biggie , as long as the key points are referenced in the manga some how
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:17 pm

If you look at the manga as it's own product, it's very incomplete.

But if you look at the angle of the manga being supplementary material for Toriyama's movies and Super TV anime, it fits in the necessary slots and feels like a wholesome product.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:If you look at the manga as it's own product, it's very incomplete.

But if you look at the angle of the manga being supplementary material for Toriyama's movies and Super TV anime, it fits in the necessary slots and feels like a wholesome product.
Thats an interesting look at it, but what does it manage to fill in? It seems more contradictory than anything. It goes out of its way to introduce alternate takes on the content rather than flesh it out.

Are you referring to them providing more info about Jiren's master?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:16 pm

It's fairly obviously meant to be read in between movies, minor continuity snarls (like Goku absorbing SSG in the movie but not the manga) aside.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:01 am

BWri wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:If you look at the manga as it's own product, it's very incomplete.

Thats an interesting look at it, but what does it manage to fill in? It seems more contradictory than anything. It goes out of its way to introduce alternate takes on the content rather than flesh it out.

Yeah, stuff like:

- Jiren's wish being expanded upon
- The relationship with Vermoud and Jiren's master
- Future Trunks being Kaioshin's disciple and battling Babidi, Dabra and his minions
- Goku Black's evolution to Super Saiyan Rose

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
BWri wrote:

Yeah, stuff like:

- Jiren's wish being expanded upon
- The relationship with Vermoud and Jiren's master
- Future Trunks being Kaioshin's disciple and battling Babidi, Dabra and his minions
- Goku Black's evolution to Super Saiyan Rose
How does the anime expand the manga, though? the tv show of course? All you need is the manga and movie to get a whole and conclusive product.