Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:13 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:I think they got their numbers mixed up somewhere. If it's still AGE 780 in the present, subtracting 41 would put you in AGE 739, which is when Jaco and Minus supposedly take place. So the start of the movie should actually be 734, 46 years years in the past.
Correct. Also, just a glimpse of what this new timeline causes:

• Goku is born in AGE 741
• AGE 737 appears on-screen and shows us that Goku landed on Earth that same year

How is it possible that Goku first landed on Earth and then he is born!? The movie contradicts itself!? :crazy:

Is it a trend that the movies must mess up with the timeline? First it was Bulma's line "I'm 38 years old" and Mai's "I'm 41 years old" in Movie 14, both contradicting previous information too, now we have to deal with this...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 am

Grimlock wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:I think they got their numbers mixed up somewhere. If it's still AGE 780 in the present, subtracting 41 would put you in AGE 739, which is when Jaco and Minus supposedly take place. So the start of the movie should actually be 734, 46 years years in the past.
Correct. Also, just a glimpse of what this new timeline causes:

• Goku is born in AGE 741
• AGE 737 appears on-screen and shows us that Goku landed on Earth that same year

How is it possible that Goku first landed on Earth and then he is born!? The movie contradicts itself!? :crazy:

Is it a trend that the movies must mess up with the timeline? First it was Bulma's line "I'm 38 years old" and Mai's "I'm 41 years old" in Movie 14, both contradicting previous information too, now we have to deal with this...
That's the peril or Toriyama not remembering some of his own details and everyone trying to stick closely to his work, I think. It'd be a simple thing to fix if they were just text overlays and not mentioned in dialogue.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:56 am

Not that I care about that type of minutae with the dates and all, but what's the point of the 'Dragon Ball room' if they don't point out this sort of stuff in major works like this movie?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:If you wanted Broly to be vilain for then to be killed and send right into hell, well then you have the Movie 8 and 10 for that.
No? I want Broly to be a villain, but this time with goals, bringing the balance to the universe, maybe? I don't know, everything is better than another tragic (anti) hero.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:18 am

Grimlock wrote:This is insane then, this contradicts everything, maybe even more than Toyotaro's "one day passes in the present, one day passes in the future as well". :|
But that line by Toyotaro doesn't contradict anything?

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 am

Noah wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:If you wanted Broly to be vilain for then to be killed and send right into hell, well then you have the Movie 8 and 10 for that.
No? I want Broly to be a villain, but this time with goals, bringing the balance to the universe, maybe? I don't know, everything is better than another tragic (anti) hero.

So you want a Broly with the personnality of Cell and have a Dark Vader kind of appeal ? :eh: Not sold of that one I prefer the Tarzan x Hulk approach fits well with Broly.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:03 am

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Noah wrote:

So you want a Broly with the personnality of Cell and have a Dark Vader kind of appeal ? :eh: Not sold of that one I prefer the Tarzan x Hulk approach fits well with Broly.
No Broly should have been a villain or evil, him being good is the worst thing they could have done with the reboot

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:08 am

CTAkuma wrote:No Broly should have been a villain or evil, him being good is the worst thing they could have done with the reboot
Yes, the guy is a freaking juggernaut that despises the existence of Goku, I can't picture Broly getting along with him.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 am

CTAkuma wrote: Exactly, people calling it "well written" just because he doesn't have the old backstory, yet i find the new iteration less appealing and straight up boring, making him a good guy was a terrible idea
They might as well have dropped the idea of bringing him in because right now he is only very very superficially like the old Broly (name, looks, special form appearance, father) rendering the introduction of him quasi-useless. The moment they decide to never ever use the Legendary form which does not even have the name officially, Broly's reboot becomes completely meaningless.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:27 am

Cetra wrote:
CTAkuma wrote: Exactly, people calling it "well written" just because he doesn't have the old backstory, yet i find the new iteration less appealing and straight up boring, making him a good guy was a terrible idea
They might as well have dropped the idea of bringing him in because right now he is only very very superficially like the old Broly (name, looks, special form appearance, father) rendering the introduction of him quasi-useless. The moment they decide to never ever use the Legendary form which does not even have the name officially, Broly's reboot becomes completely meaningless.
They should have just gone with the manga, and refer to broly as the legendary demon sayain equivalent of what kale was for universe 6. And the story should have been centered around goku and vegeta (and whis) investigating to see if the demon sayain exist in their universe. We could have then gotten ancient back-ground on the sayain race which would then be finalized by epic clash of goku and vegeta vs broly. That probably was all included in the 3 hour script I'd bet, a shame we won't see the 3 hour script of information in the near future, at least.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:32 am

CTAkuma wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
Noah wrote:

No Broly should have been a villain or evil, him being good is the worst thing they could have done with the reboot
Nope I'm glad Broly is a Good guy my Trifecta is now complete 8)
Noah wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:No Broly should have been a villain or evil, him being good is the worst thing they could have done with the reboot
Yes, the guy is a freaking juggernaut that despises the existence of Goku, I can't picture Broly getting along with him.
Funny you call him Juggernaut since in Marvel Juggernaut is a boring character. :angel:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:36 am

Cetra wrote:
True !! Why did they even name him Broly again??

I find it lame that they use the same background overall and change Broly's nature, I have nothing against the new Broly but since they took out his evil nature he is just a mix of Gohan/Kale.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:57 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
Cetra wrote:
They should have just gone with the manga, and refer to broly as the legendary demon sayain equivalent of what kale was for universe 6. And the story should have been centered around goku and vegeta (and whis) investigating to see if the demon sayain exist in their universe. We could have then gotten ancient back-ground on the sayain race which would then be finalized by epic clash of goku and vegeta vs broly. That probably was all included in the 3 hour script I'd bet, a shame we won't see the 3 hour script of information in the near future, at least.
The main problem I have with new Broly is that his Legendary form - I have no seen it so I do NOT know it - seems to be completely void of anything it ever was:

LSSJ was "pseudo-invicible". He was beaten 2 times but only through the TYPICAL Toei shonen methods. Before that he always appeared to render everything used against him useless.
LSSJ in its nature and name had some sort of "magic" behind it. You just knew it was something special so you could believe it more. The name explains itself well enough and represents what Broly is on more than one level. If they introduce him as "Super Saiyan Full Power" this is just ... I don't know? They could at least call him "Super Saiyan Maximum" to get a laugh out of us because of the meme.
LSSJ is just now in its super version the caricature that people remembered from the old Broly. He goes on a rampage without actually living out the evil nature and fully enjoying it. And this one here, if that is really true, which it seems to be, is really getting rid of something even more important than the last two things I mentioned. As said I have no seen the movie but nobody says he does live it out and since he is such a "calm and not bad person" it seems they also do not show him enjoying that. Which would be no problem to show. They showed a change of character also for people like Gohan so it could be possible.

I HOPE Toei does that in the anime. I do not want him as a LSSJ as mindless as people always thought he was.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Why don't people just let go? This is a new character, he "shouldn't" be A or B, there's no A or B for him to be. And please, stop with that "legendary" nonsense, that's just a nickname for a form, it doesn't mean anything.

Seriously, they use hyped up words like "demon" and "legendary" and everyone eats it up...

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 pm

alakazam^ wrote:Why don't people just let go? This is a new character, he "shouldn't" be A or B, there's no A or B for him to be. And please, stop with that "legendary" nonsense, that's just a nickname for a form, it doesn't mean anything.

Seriously, they use hyped up words like "demon" and "legendary" and everyone eats it up...
Yeah sure he is a new character. But he is still called Broly. A new version of a character that people have known for over 25 years. Its the same with Minus Bardock. One way or another people are gonna compare them. Especially with famous chars like Broly is.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Noah wrote:
They should have made Broly a more 3-dimensional version of his Movie 8 self (minus the Goku crying crap) for the reboot.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm

Darkseid wrote:Yeah sure he is a new character. But he is still called Broly. A new version of a character that people have known for over 25 years. Its the same with Minus Bardock. One way or another people are gonna compare them. Especially with famous chars like Broly is.
Sure but if people acknowledge he's a new character, why waste time comparing them beyond first impressions?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm

When are we ever gonna get another truly psychopathic, irredeemable, non-sympathetic villain in the franchise?

I'm okay with Broly turning neutral (or even good) in the end of the new film, but they should have kept his evil qualities from Movie 8.

Pokesamus217

Post by Pokesamus217 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 pm

zarmack wrote:When are we ever gonna get another truly psychopathic, irredeemable, non-sympathetic villain in the franchise?

I'm okay with Broly turning neutral (or even good) in the end of the new film, but they should have kept his evil qualities from Movie 8.
Apparently, Zamasu doesn’t exist.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Pokesamus217 wrote:
zarmack wrote:When are we ever gonna get another truly psychopathic, irredeemable, non-sympathetic villain in the franchise?

Apparently, Zamasu doesn’t exist.
I said another for a reason.