"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:29 pm

Love it. It looks like a Toyotaro designs which makes the idea that this is a Toyo original arc that much more likely. And usually when its a Toriyama-made new character, they say so.

This is Toyo’s chance to redeem himself. And so far, the design of this goat and the Number 1 Galactic Patroller are both +1. And the story seems interesting as of now.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 pm

Not really feeling that design. I don't know, it doesn't look very threatening.
Caulifla best girl! :)

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:43 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Not really feeling that design. I don't know, it doesn't look very threatening.
He most likely has a transformation to make him more like a fighter. All we know right now is that he's very old which is consistent given that the Dai Kaioshin was around more than 5 million years ago.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
batistabus wrote:The design of the escaped prisoner has been revealed on the V-Jump website.
Wait is this a joke?

I can see it now! He will be accompanied by 2 more billy goats gruff! And they dispise people trespassing over their land! No more trip trapping over our bridge!
With Toriyama you never know, you just absolutely never know.

He certainly doesnt look like much of a fighter. I hope this has roots in other universes though, I'm kind of tired of Universe 7.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 pm

well zamasu and black were created by toriyama although others said the opposite in this case may then reveal more of this new character in later interviews

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:06 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:I'm not so sure Goku can really sense God ki. Chapter 29 Gokus says to Toppo " I can't sense your power just like the Gods behind us. But I can tell how incredibly strong you are." The line just seems odd. Can anyone offer in explanation or other manga dialog where Goku says he can sense it. Maybe Toppo doesn't have normal ki?

Also in chapter 29. Goku is utterly amazed at the battle of all the Gods of Destruction. So much so that he says things like " their strength is mind blowing," " To be honest, i can't even figure out whos fighting who anymore," " their battle was too intense to comprehend, ours wont be anything like that!"

But then later, the moth-ball God says that SSG Goku and Toppo are already fighting at the level of the Gods. Why would Goku be so shocked about the Battle Royal of the Gods and their mind blowing strength if he too had that strength?

Not a huge deal, the chapter didn't seem to sit well with me after I read it again.
It could always mean "Around the level of the gods" and the gods of destruction are significantly above him and Toppo.
PFM18 wrote:With Toriyama you never know, you just absolutely never know.

He certainly doesnt look like much of a fighter. I hope this has roots in other universes though, I'm kind of tired of Universe 7.
You mentioning that he doesn't look much of a fighter makes me think he could be another Piccolo/Slug/Mechikabura, y'know, old guy who's gonna use the dragon balls to become young again, hopefuly not the case.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Since this guy doesn't look like a fighter, maybe he is a Babidi to the real main villain's Buu. As in, maybe he escaped and now he is trying to release/revive some powerful entity like possibly a MaKaioshin or something. (Since it involves Dai Kaioshin)

I have no idea. Just throwing stuff out there lol. This is getting me really excited to have a completely new, fresh story for the first time since the ToP was revealed.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Not really feeling that design. I don't know, it doesn't look very threatening.
I think that may be the point. This character may NOT be very threatening. Especially given how incredibly old he looks, he doesn't look like an especially menacing foe. Maybe he is a precursor for something stronger to come or he has some kind of special abilities rather than power that make him threatening.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 am

Honestly, I kind of hope he IS the main threat. He's a pretty different design than any of our main antagonists we've had before, and that'd be pretty fun.

Sadly though, if he is? Calling it now that he'll get a de-aging of some kind, ala King Piccolo. I doubt we'll be allowed to have a totally badass old ma-

*remembers that Hit is stated to be old as hell*

...We'll not be allowed to have a totally badass old man that actually looks ancient. Probably.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 am

The new villain is goat,I already love it.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:39 am

Yeah there has to be a catch with this guy.

Strength wise, idk how the Grand Kai was able to do anything with this prisoner if he’s in the realm of Broly and Jiren. Especially since these guys crapped their pants when it came to Buu. Tricking/sealing are the only things I can think of.

I’m gonna assume that his strength is something besides brute strength, like intense magic or something.

To me, they kinda ruined things “In Universe” since they claimed Frieza was the strongest. Which turned out not to be true since Buu was much older. THEN we have Beerus and Broly. Now we are expected someone along that level of strength was tucked away in a Prison this entire time who was stronger than Kid Buu? That’s why I’m hoping this guy is some kind of legendary sorcerer or something. Grand Kai has freaked out about how strong everyone is, so I’ll be annoyed if he somehow knew about this guy. Especially since they revived Frieza and he knew that this guy could’ve been strong enough to help.

I have no problem with advancing the In Universe idea. I like it. My problem is that it comes across as them playing it by ear every arc. Obviously I’ll reserve judgement until the arc actually comes, but I just wish they wouldn’t say dumb stuff like “there’s only 28 planets with life” in the entire universe. Unless that plays a significant roll down the road, it’s just stupid to say something like that if you want to keep doing In Universe stuff. I doubt that planet will count in that calculation.

Ultimately, I’m excited to read this chapter.
How i predict the tournament will end:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 am

alakazam^ wrote: Yeah, first you need to calm down.
I am very calm.
Second, it doesn't surprise me that you tried turning it around
"Second, it doesn't surprise me that you tried to defend/clarify your statement."

I mean, it shouldn't surprise you. That's what discussions are about.
You, again and again, praised the manga for how it approached the setting "this is what a battle royal should be!", "Toyotarou is awesome because he made Kale eliminate all those fodder nobodies at once" and such nonsense. Now, I see no difference between that and "people going into things and then judging said things by what they expected" and if you're intelectually honest you'll agree as well. Which means you're being a hypocrite since you're contributing to the same type of posts you're supposedly "farily tired of".
That's a lot of words there that don't actually address what I said.

You misinterpreted my comment. I clarified and explained how it doesn't apply to what I've said.
Then, you mention the anime because of course the anime needs to be constantly referred to in the manga thread.
I won't waste everyone's time getting into this with you again. These are adaptations of the same material. They can and will be compared. If that rustles you, stay out of the conversation. That simple.
I appreciate your concern about my posts but I'd rather you take the time you spend venting your bias and actually move on. The arc is over so enough with this.
There's serious questions I want to ask you, but I'm fairly sure they'd get me in trouble with the mods because they'd seem negative. Look, don't place so much importance on what someone on the internet thinks about Dragonball. I can criticize the anime all I want, and that shouldn't distraught you as much as it apparently does, bro.

I don't think much is ever gained from talking in circles with you, so unless you make a compelling rebuttal to what I've said, I won't interact with you further.
Noah wrote:
Yeah, but you don't need to be so harsh with TKA, he's a good fella even though his love for the manga blinds him while discussing about the anime.
Pretty sure I've said this a few times in the past, but I'll repeat it. I only started reading the manga because the anime was such a bad product. Eventually I stopped engaging with the anime because the manga was presenting the material in a much more palatable way. Again, this isn't sports. This is how good the products are. I don't find the anime compelling in any way whatsoever. Even its "flash" pales in comparison to its contemporaries, like One Punch Man or garbage like Black Clover.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:I dont see why its so hard to believe that a character we dont know can take Goku and Vegeta off gaurd when they're in there most restricted form and are barely even have serious..

These guys are going after Boo! Lets humble ourselves for a bit guys, even though Our main cast has entered "God-Level" (At their max) this is still Majin Freaking Boo we're talking about here, out side of Beerus and God of Destruction candidates this is still a tall fucking order and they've been able to immobilize him with seemingly little to no effort.
Because this universe is garbage strength wise. If it turns out this guy is powerful, then I take back what I said. But I doubt that he’s as stewing as you think he is.

You aren’t going to have me believe that Goku and Vegeta are completely helpless in base Form when we saw Goku go toe to toe with Final Form Frieza not too long ago. Unless you guys have some BS explanation for that.

It’s not like they were caught off guard. They were in the middle of a fight. The thought of someone in this universe aside from a couple people outspeeding Goku AND Vegeta is just silly.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:43 am

I dig the design for the villain. It's something different for once and I hope they don't use ABC logic for the villain. I'm always sick of character A being stronger than Character B. Someone can be weaker than the last villain, but still be powerful and dangerous.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 am

https://t.co/OD4Px4X4zw?amp=1
I like this kind of initiatives , I already vote my fav. Battle .
Too bad they don’t offer a full English web page , also the material on that official website of vjump is always changing and doesn’t have a history record as far as I know .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:32 am

PFM18 wrote:How exactly do you propose doing that? In a series where the Galactic tyrant is surpassed by a couple robots, technology is pretty overpowered and it being used to simply knock the BASE Saiyans unconscious is hardly an example of inconsistent/poor writing. They aren't even damaged or hurt in any capacity for that matter. Goku and Vegeta are vulnerable to being unable to breath too, so it is perfectly reasonable that they be vulnerable to something that stuns the nervous system.
Good job shifting the argument. I said the problem was Goku and Vegeta getting outsped by a nobody (actually, I said the real, concerning problem was the lazy abuse of the same plot point, but you people prefer to discuss powerlevels instead in spite of your insistence that they shouldn't matter), not that a piece of technology knocked them out.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:36 am

TheOne wrote:To me, they kinda ruined things “In Universe” since they claimed Frieza was the strongest. Which turned out not to be true since Buu was much older. THEN we have Beerus and Broly. Now we are expected someone along that level of strength was tucked away in a Prison this entire time who was stronger than Kid Buu? That’s why I’m hoping this guy is some kind of legendary sorcerer or something. Grand Kai has freaked out about how strong everyone is, so I’ll be annoyed if he somehow knew about this guy. Especially since they revived Frieza and he knew that this guy could’ve been strong enough to help.
I dont find it to be especially unreasonable in-Universe for Freeza to be recognized as the strongest when Broly, Beerus and Buu exist, because these characters were never roaming simultaneously, and in Broly's case he wasnt all that impressive until he was pushed to his limits, forced to adapt and then achieve SSJ and then "LSSJ." They were all out of the picture for believable reasons, Buu was sealed away, Beerus sleeps for decades at a time, and Broly was off on a remote planet with no ability to get off of it and without any desire to be conquering the universe like say Majin Buu.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:46 am

PFM18 wrote:
TheOne wrote:To me, they kinda ruined things “In Universe” since they claimed Frieza was the strongest. Which turned out not to be true since Buu was much older. THEN we have Beerus and Broly. Now we are expected someone along that level of strength was tucked away in a Prison this entire time who was stronger than Kid Buu? That’s why I’m hoping this guy is some kind of legendary sorcerer or something. Grand Kai has freaked out about how strong everyone is, so I’ll be annoyed if he somehow knew about this guy. Especially since they revived Frieza and he knew that this guy could’ve been strong enough to help.
I dont find it to be especially unreasonable in-Universe for Freeza to be recognized as the strongest when Broly, Beerus and Buu exist, because these characters were never roaming simultaneously, and in Broly's case he wasnt all that impressive until he was pushed to his limits, forced to adapt and then achieve SSJ and then "LSSJ." They were all out of the picture for believable reasons, Buu was sealed away, Beerus sleeps for decades at a time, and Broly was off on a remote planet with no ability to get off of it and without any desire to be conquering the universe like say Majin Buu.
Fair enough. While yes you can give me explanations about this that sound very likely, I’m still having a hard time believing they thought as deeply about this as we are.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 am

TheOne wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Fair enough. While yes you can give me explanations about this that sound very likely, I’m still having a hard time believing they thought as deeply about this as we are.
Oh no of course they didn't. But similar to how Toriyama randomly decided to make Goku an alien, it doesn't technically contradict anything despite their lack of planning or in-depth thought in any capacity.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:29 am

A few things...

1.Concerning the anime and manga comparisons...
2. Better wait and see how this top patrolman got the jump on Goku and Vegeta before whining.
If we find out this guy is the real deal in strength later, It's three square meals of words.

3. I like the GOAT design. Lets get it Dragonball!!

reecehoward
Beyond Newbie

Post by reecehoward » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:37 am

WittyUsername wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
WittyUsername wrote: Besides, I hate the idea of an entire arc solely being the result of some invincible manchild’s own personal amusement, with none of the characters being able to do anything about it. I personally can’t stand stories like that. That just makes it seem incredibly frustrating and needlessly cruel. I know the Dragon Ball franchise can be pretty cynical at times, but if the entire multiverse is such a shitty place to the point where God is just some malevolent manchild, why the hell should I care about what happens to anyone? That’s something that TV Tropes would call “Darkness Induced Audience Apathy”. It’s a comic book/cartoon series for kids, not Greek mythology.
That's exactly what Zeno is. He is a mistake of a DB character in general and a mark that Toriyama has lost it when it comes to expanding the lore.

17 wishing what he did is a defiant stand against these two child clowns. To have them make the Tournament as some kind of morality test is unlikely given their simple characterization.
That still begs the question of why they didn’t just erase the universes again after 17 made his wish. If their whole goal was to get rid of the lesser universes because they thought there were too many to keep track of, why did they leave the universes alone after 17 wished them back? Even if we interpret 17’s wish as an act of defiance against these childish assholes, it comes across as hollow when you consider that there’s nothing stopping them from just wiping everything out again.
This. You'd think that if they weren't going with the whole "test" reasoning in this version that they would be PISSED that someone just brought back the clutter. It's super weird that this isn't really addressed as far as I know.