Suggestion for how manga Chapters are handled

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Suggestion for how manga Chapters are handled

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 pm

This is something that I've always had a slight issue with in regards to how the manga Chapters are categorized and accessed compared to the anime episodes. When I go to anime sections, the first thing I'm able to access are links for the various story arcs, and from there I can get into the episodes involved. With the manga page however, I'm instead given a list of its various releases first, and once I've picked one I have to figure out which book in that series I'm looking for. The Tankobon page is the only one I've found at all reliable because it's the only one that actually gives summaries of the plot covered in each book of that line.

Even with the story summary however that leaves a major difference: the anime summaries break the story up into 14 non-filler arcs with brief summaries, while the Tankobon summaries break it up into 42 volumes with summaries. That's a lot of scrolling to get through just to get to the section I think I might need. I guess my proposed solution here is this: if the anime has a Home Video Guide, I think the various publications of the original manga should have a "Manga Publication Guide" page that goes through the Shonen Jump, Tankobon, Kanzenban, etc releases, similar to how the Home Video Guide goes through the various tape and disc releases of the anime. This leaves the original Manga page to function as a "Chapter Guide" that summarizes the manga by the various story arcs, just like the anime pages do.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Suggestion for how manga Chapters are handled

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:30 am

Trust me when I say more than most others I know how complicated the documentation can be and how difficult it can be to present it in an easy-to-use/understand/navigate way!

It's not super obvious, but we do have this awesome "list" mode for the base manga chapters (it's the "List View" toggle on the main manga guide page).-

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/manga/list/

Here it's presented beginning to end based around the chapters themselves, and you can switch around which version of the serialization you want to base it on. Just another one of our best kept secrets that we need to figure out how to present better!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Suggestion for how manga Chapters are handled

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:56 pm

That's super-neat! Never knew that existed, haha. Reminds me of the arrow key trick the last time I asked about something like this, and it's cool seeing how the divisions shift about across the various releases.

Personally, I still think presenting the core Chapters by arc on the main manga page with the books in their own section is the best way to do it (basically separating the core content from later consolidated releases), because the arcs allow for the best summary of the story with the least amount of scrolling, and it reflects the way the anime episodes are separated via Episode guides and a distinct Home Video guide for how that stuff was distributed after airing once a week. I'm probably not the only one who, when looking for a Chapter/Episode's page, goes "Right, Goku meeting Trunks, that was the Android Arc...".

tl;dr The anime guides do it great, it should be done like that!