"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:17 am

I was also surprised by this added line. I don’t recallfrom original Japanese. But I remember everyone commenting how Goku was selfish and just wanted to fight. I also like this addition because it makes him less of a monster.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:17 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:If So, I think Funimation is trying to correct the story by saying yea Goku wants to fight strong guys, but not at the expense of the deaths of innocents. If that is the case it is a Dubbed Dialogue change I Greatly Welcome for Goku's character! :thumbup:
Goku mentioned innocents in the correct story as well. I just listened to the Funimation line and the real difference, as compared to the Toei subs, is that Funimation has him linking his actions to their erasure:

FUNimation: No, see, I don't think of it like I'm saving the world. The fact is it's 'cause I'm usually trying to challenge the strongest warriors I can find. That's how this tournament happened, too. But I can't bear the thought of innocent lives getting wiped out just 'cause I wanna fight the best, so I'll do what I can for them.

Toei: I've never really been aware of saving it. I've just come this far wantin' to fight strong guys. This time's no different. But I can't stand innocent people and animals getting erased.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:I hope I am not the only one that noticed this change in Goku's Dialogue, but it is pretty important IMO story and character wise; :think:

At the end of the recent Space Poachers episode when 17 is asking him about the ToP and what Goku wants out of it Goku does say like before he wants to fight Strong Fighters, but this time Funimation added their own last bit of, paraphrasing this "I Don't want to see innocent people getting hurt over this, I will fight to prevent that." aka, mentioning the deaths of all life in the Universe.

I found that really significant and important cause one of the only things that got me disappointed in the original Japaneses is that Goku just seem to mostly only care about fighting strong fighters and not enough about the destruction that was happen. I hope I am wrong about this in that original missing more of those moments of the stakes by Goku and I remember maybe one or 2 somewhat ones, but not enough.

If So, I think Funimation is trying to correct the story by saying yea Goku wants to fight strong guys, but not at the expense of the deaths of innocents. If that is the case it is a Dubbed Dialogue change I Greatly Welcome for Goku's character! :thumbup:
I mean, that IS Goku's character. Even in Toriyama's original manga at Goku's worst, he loves to fight, but is still a good person who doesn't wanna see innocent people get hurt or die, so it's welcome, especially as Super flanderizes Goku into having 2 different personalities depending on the situation; idiot manchild & seasoned fighter who's closer to how he was in the Cell & Buu sagas of Z. I welcome it too.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:59 pm

I feel Funimation has been doing well with Goku's character. I mean yeah Goku can be an idiot and Toei has been running with that gag, but Funimation at least seems to show a bit of his subtle maturity that he has shown through Cell and Buu arcs.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:35 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:I feel Funimation has been doing well with Goku's character. I mean yeah Goku can be an idiot and Toei has been running with that gag, but Funimation at least seems to show a bit of his subtle maturity that he has shown through Cell and Buu arcs.
Which is nice, although I prefer Nozawa, her cheerful Goku is sometimes quite annoying.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Huh. I'm surprised to see that nobody's talking about the latest Dub episode. Why is that?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Huh. I'm surprised to see that nobody's talking about the latest Dub episode. Why is that?
The DBS Broly movie plot synopsis and the new arc starting the in Super manga have overtaken a lot of the conversations in the last 24-48 hours.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:06 pm

I thought there WASNT a new episode today! With the Attack on Titan marathon and all.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:34 pm

There was an Attack on Titan marathon yesterday. Besides Dragon Ball [Z] Kai, every show on the block was replaced with AOT Season Three episodes. The mid-season finale in the USA aired last week, so Toonami probably wanted to capitalize on giving viewers an orderly rerun. Fans of Attack on Titan might be aware that Season 3 had an unexpectedly announced a hiatus, meaning that the rest of the season will start in the Spring 2019 anime season.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pm

For those interested, Kyle Hebert stated on Facebook (having been asked) they record roughly about 2 dozen episodes ahead of broadcast.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Man, imagine if we got a DB Super marathon or two with all those built up episodes. Would make catching up to the Japanese version a lot easier. For all we know they could be months worth of episodes into Super part 2 by the time the US gets done with the ToP.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:03 am

So tonight's episode seems to have slyly referenced the infamous Piccolo motivation scene with Piccolo saying to Gohan, "You can do this! You can win!" It's not ver batim the exact same speech he gives in the Namek arc, but it was paced and delivered very much the same and I imagine it was an intentional scriptural reference. If anyone else who caught the episode wants to affirm this, that'd be helpful; otherwise I'm just crazy and this dub has conditioned me to find stupid overt references in unusual places. :crazy:
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Shaddy wrote:Man, imagine if we got a DB Super marathon or two with all those built up episodes. Would make catching up to the Japanese version a lot easier. For all we know they could be months worth of episodes into Super part 2 by the time the US gets done with the ToP.
If Super is announced to be returning at Jump Festa, then you can bet Funimation are going to want to Simuldub it.
They will most likely contact Adult Swim to try and air two a week for a while - if it came back for the Summer season, first week of July, then to be within 2 weeks, they'd have to air an additional 12 episodes. Most likely starting in May, with 2 a week.
Thing is, they would end up being more than 4 weeks behind in the end, as Adult Swim takes more breaks than Fuji TV does.
I'm sure Adult Swim would have no hesitation in airing these episodes as Super is by far the highest rated show on that block, only thing that comes close is Kai.
Toei are the problem here - let's hope they don't take as long to license out these episodes like they did with the first 131.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:35 am

MegaBossMan wrote:So tonight's episode seems to have slyly referenced the infamous Piccolo motivation scene with Piccolo saying to Gohan, "You can do this! You can win!" It's not ver batim the exact same speech he gives in the Namek arc, but it was paced and delivered very much the same and I imagine it was an intentional scriptural reference. If anyone else who caught the episode wants to affirm this, that'd be helpful; otherwise I'm just crazy and this dub has conditioned me to find stupid overt references in unusual places. :crazy:
I didn't pick up on that at all when I watched it. He might've said those words, but it was treated seriously and not delivered in any way like a sly, winking reference.

This was a nice episode, well dubbed. I like Sabat's drill-sergeant Piccolo and Kyle Hebert's sincerity as Gohan was played to the hilt. No "gee thanks Piccolo, no pressure huh?" to be seen. One thing I wasn't sure on is the scene with Cabba and Renso where the dialogue implied Cabba knew Caulifla. He says something like "we don't see eye to eye." Was that the case in the original? I could have sworn in the sub he only knew of her but hadn't actually met her or interacted much before.

Speaking of, woo Caulifla next week! And also Yurin I guess. I almost feel sorry for the actress that landed that role. Everyone will be going crazy for the dub debut of the first female Super Saiyan and they'll be going "hi, I'm in this episode too! I play the girl who turns up for one episode to get sexually harassed and act tsundere over John Burgmeier."

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
MegaBossMan wrote:So tonight's episode seems to have slyly referenced the infamous Piccolo motivation scene with Piccolo saying to Gohan, "You can do this! You can win!" It's not ver batim the exact same speech he gives in the Namek arc, but it was paced and delivered very much the same and I imagine it was an intentional scriptural reference. If anyone else who caught the episode wants to affirm this, that'd be helpful; otherwise I'm just crazy and this dub has conditioned me to find stupid overt references in unusual places. :crazy:
I didn't pick up on that at all when I watched it. He might've said those words, but it was treated seriously and not delivered in any way like a sly, winking reference.

This was a nice episode, well dubbed. I like Sabat's drill-sergeant Piccolo and Kyle Hebert's sincerity as Gohan was played to the hilt. No "gee thanks Piccolo, no pressure huh?" to be seen. One thing I wasn't sure on is the scene with Cabba and Renso where the dialogue implied Cabba knew Caulifla. He says something like "we don't see eye to eye." Was that the case in the original? I could have sworn in the sub he only knew of her but hadn't actually met her or interacted much before.

Speaking of, woo Caulifla next week! And also Yurin I guess. I almost feel sorry for the actress that landed that role. Everyone will be going crazy for the dub debut of the first female Super Saiyan and they'll be going "hi, I'm in this episode too! I play the girl who turns up for one episode to get sexually harassed and act tsundere over John Burgmeier."
Indeed: Cabba mentions in the original Japanese premiere that him and Caulifla have never really gotten along before.

As for the aforementioned Piccolo line, after examining the two separate instances, I think what brought me to the idea of it potentially being a reference is primarily based in just Piccolo's delivery of "You can win." The tones are admittedly entirely different, and their rhythm is naturally off, but I think I've got some justification in the form of an incredibly similar emphasis placed on the "win" phrase as well as overall delivery. Granted, this isn't a rock I want to vow to die on, and ultimately it's a common enough phrase to be thrown around, so I'll just concur that it probably wasn't anything intentional.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:01 pm

Super excited about tonight's Dub episode! Because this episode will have the English speaking debut of the one, the only, the first female Super Saiyan, and literally my avatar: Caulifla. Tell me, are you guys excited about best girl?

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Super excited about tonight's Dub episode! Because this episode will have the English speaking debut of the one, the only, the first female Super Saiyan, and literally my avatar: Caulifla. Tell me, are you guys excited about best girl?
Best girl? But I haven't heard Ribrianne dub voice yet
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:07 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Super excited about tonight's Dub episode! Because this episode will have the English speaking debut of the one, the only, the first female Super Saiyan, and literally my avatar: Caulifla. Tell me, are you guys excited about best girl?
Best girl? But I haven't heard Ribrianne dub voice yet
She's third best girl for me.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:26 pm

What, no love for Yurin? Well, maybe not from a certain master.

Also, this is more so Legends-related, but I doubt we're getting a dub of Episode of Bardock in the near-future. So...

Lord Chilled got his first English dub in that game, and it sounds like Funimation got Richard Steven Horvitz (Zim from Invader Zim, KAOS from the Skylanders series, Billy from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy) to provide his vocals. It sounds like some good typecasting if you're familiar with the first two roles I listed.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:50 pm

He's definitely out of the question for Funimation. He's a member of an Actors Guild I think.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: