"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:29 am

Will the next chapter be dropping this week? i’m Looking to learn more about the new villain?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:45 am

shadd21 wrote:Will the next chapter be dropping this week? i’m Looking to learn more about the new villain?
it always comes on the 21st. The leaks could come 2 or 3 days sooner.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

Will there be anything coming before then that could give us more info on the new villain and arc?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:14 am

Lotta rampant speculation about people who none of us know going on in here.

Toyotaro is an artist. To say that he isn't improving is crazy. Working artists are always improving. Repetition is an artist's greatest tool for getting better at their craft, like most things humans do. The fact is Toriyama was a seasoned mangaka with many oneshots and a wildly successful serialized work out before he even started Dragonball. This is Toyotaro's first real manga. That he's doing this well is a testament to his skill.

Further, if Akira Toriyama thinks highly of his work, I think that holds more weight than anything you or I could say about his general quality. You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but like I'm not gonna take a reality tv star's opinion over a scientist's when it comes to climate change, I probably won't take a layman's opinion over one of the greatest mangaka of all time's opinion.

Personally, I have no real issues with Toyotaro's art. I just wish the manga wasn't so wordy... but I understand it's a necessity for a monthly manga trying to cover these mammoth arcs in a timely manner.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Per the changes Viz is making starting next week (which I made a thread about in the General Franchise section), they'll actually be posting chapter 43 on the 20th:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 pm

TKA wrote:Lotta rampant speculation about people who none of us know going on in here.
You don't have to know somebody personally to judge their work critically and assess their progress/improvement.

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Amongst the manga artists who have experience in DB besides Toriyama himself - Naho Oishi, Yoshitaka Nagayama, Toyotaro, and Dragon Garrow Lee, I'd still pick Toyotaro as the one I'd want drawing the primary DB continuation. There's really nobody else that works as closely with Toriyama. There's a lot of room for improvement and I can definitely see him improving subsequently. At the same time, I'm not looking for a Toriyama replacement. I'm looking for someone who loves DB, knows it very well, can draw it, and has their own style.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Well it’s clear that there’s a Witch hunt against toyotaro all over the fandom outside Japan. While criticism is welcome and totally fine , it’s kind of an obsession , looking just for the bads to make fun and not paying too much attention in the goods . Don’t you dare to say you like this manga , those fans will be offended, they don’t understand somebody going against the wave youtubers feed for his own benefit.
Honestly if I make comments here,( aside for my enjoyment and improve my English) is because I think this fandom is being real unfair with this Mangaka, he is not that piece of shit the community is trying to sell to us. You can buy it , I won’t .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:36 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Ooshi isn’t a purely gag artist. She drew and and created the story of the manga for Yo Son Goku and Friends Return and Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock.

And i enjoyed both. Plus, her art is a thumbs up to me. They’re really wasting her talent having her stuck on Dragon Ball SD. I’m not even asking for her to replace Toyo. I just want them to take Lee and Ooshi and have them do spin off mini manga for some of the other characters in DB to flesh them out while the main manga is busy doing other things. And then maybe later the anime can create ova’s based of the spin off mini manga.
Sorry, I forgot that she did Episode of Bardock.

I don't mind if she worked on other projects besides DB SD. I would like the new generation of mangakas to explore different aspects of the DB franchise instead of relying on the overrated ol' Toriyama stamp of approval.

When it comes to DB, I'm not interested in the pure gag side of things. Especially not a parody of the original series/current continuation. At this point that's what she's mainly known for.
Last edited by Rakurai on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:49 pm

prince212 wrote:It’s not that cool but it’s also a different approach, more a 3D modeling style. ( sorry for the poor quality)
That's another great example of what I mean. Why is Toyotaro producing that kind of image? It seems like he's taking a broad-spectrum art class, and for many of his assignments, he's producing Dragon Ball works that he's inserting into the Tankobon like this. Again, could be wrong.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Toyotarou is a good person with good intentions. He's very humble too. His manga continues to sell well and I'm glad for it, it's one of the very few things I still enjoy left about DB. He makes the best out of something that was bad to begin with.

He's someone whom I can accept carrying on the mantle of DB. Not one-time artists like Lee or purely gag artists like Ooshi.
Ooshi isn’t a purely gag artist. She drew and and created the story of the manga for Yo Son Goku and Friends Return and Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock.

And i enjoyed both. Plus, her art is a thumbs up to me. They’re really wasting her talent having her stuck on Dragon Ball SD. I’m not even asking for her to replace Toyo. I just want them to take Lee and Ooshi and have them do spin off mini manga for some of the other characters in DB to flesh them out while the main manga is busy doing other things. And then maybe later the anime can create ova’s based of the spin off mini manga.
Sorry, I forgot that she did Episode of Bardock.

I don't mind if she worked on other projects besides DB SD. I would like the new generation of mangakas to explore different aspects of the DB franchise instead of relying on the overrated ol' Toriyama stamp of approval.

When it comes to DB, I'm not interested in the pure gag side of things. Especially not a parody of the original series/current continuation. At this point that's what she's mainly known for.[/quote]
You quoted the wrong guy man.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: You quoted the wrong guy man.
Fixed my old post.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Per the changes Viz is making starting next week (which I made a thread about in the General Franchise section), they'll actually be posting chapter 43 on the 20th:
Talking about viz news, how is that gonna affect to the subscribers prior this new offer ?

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:15 pm

PFM18 wrote: You don't have to know somebody personally to judge their work critically and assess their progress/improvement.
Did you miss the part where I said you can criticize his art?

I think you missed the part where I said you can criticize his art.

Talking about him and Toriyama as people is where you cross the line into useless speculation. Shit like Toyotaro being lazy, or needing people to push him, or Toriyama being lax with him are all wild guesses with no basis in actual fact and are useless avenues of discussion.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:27 pm

prince212 wrote:
Theophrastus wrote:Per the changes Viz is making starting next week (which I made a thread about in the General Franchise section), they'll actually be posting chapter 43 on the 20th:
Talking about viz news, how is that gonna affect to the subscribers prior this new offer ?
You can either cancel your subscription and get a refund for the remaining time (exact instructions on how to do that will be given once the new service goes live on the 17th, apparently), or they'll automatically convert your subscription to the new one and add an extra 3 months to it for free.

You can read about it here:
https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Theophrastus wrote:
prince212 wrote:
You can either cancel your subscription and get a refund for the remaining time (exact instructions on how to do that will be given once the new service goes live on the 17th, apparently), or they'll automatically convert your subscription to the new one and add an extra 3 months to it for free.

You can read about it here:
https://www.viz.com/wsj-member
Awesome , my annual subscription will expire in February.
I wonder if we will be able to unlock chapters by series or we will have to search in every Weekly Shōnen Jump to get them .
Edit : I guess if they are ending the wsj they will put all chapters by series , this is great , one punch man chapters were hard to find , for example

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:14 am

I have a theory on where the series could be headed. I believe the next movie rehash character and or plotline could come from none other than Tapion. He could be somehow tied to the goat man. Example, they could both have magical abilities, and perhaps the goat man could be sealed inside Tapion, and Tapion is in his familiar music box. Maybe the music box is the sealing technique that Whis knows, and the goat man could be a former God of destruction. Maybe we could get a flashback of Beerus going on a sealing spree putting the old kai in the z sword, and then sealing these new characters in a music box. It would give Beerus more development, making him a paranoid God of destruction sealing everyone who poses a threat. As for the music box, it would make sense for the galactic patrol to have possession of it, and maybe Jaco accidentally unleashed Tapion and the goat man by being clumsy in a gag scene? What are your thoughts?
VegettoEX is a snowflake

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:24 am

GreatJaiyaman wrote:I have a theory on where the series could be headed. I believe the next movie rehash character and or plotline could come from none other than Tapion. He could be somehow tied to the goat man. Example, they could both have magical abilities, and perhaps the goat man could be sealed inside Tapion, and Tapion is in his familiar music box. Maybe the music box is the sealing technique that Whis knows, and the goat man could be a former God of destruction. Maybe we could get a flashback of Beerus going on a sealing spree putting the old kai in the z sword, and then sealing these new characters in a music box. It would give Beerus more development, making him a paranoid God of destruction sealing everyone who poses a threat. As for the music box, it would make sense for the galactic patrol to have possession of it, and maybe Jaco accidentally unleashed Tapion and the goat man by being clumsy in a gag scene? What are your thoughts?
In scientific terms, a theory is something with some basis in fact after a hypothesis is tested rigorously.

This is more like a hypothesis since it involves a lot of wild guesses and tangential connections.

In normal people terms, this is good fanfiction. :clap:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:12 pm

TKA wrote:Talking about him and Toriyama as people is where you cross the line into useless speculation. Shit like Toyotaro being lazy, or needing people to push him, or Toriyama being lax with him are all wild guesses with no basis in actual fact and are useless avenues of discussion.
Well it's a good thing that I didn't actually say any of those things then, but strange that you are quoting me as you go on about people calling him lazy or that people need to push him etc.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:15 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Well it's a good thing that I didn't actually say any of those things then, but strange that you are quoting me as you go on about people calling him lazy or that people need to push him etc.
Don't you know how conversations work?

I said something. You clearly didn't understand and replied to me. I quoted you to explain what I meant and clarified my post more.

It's not rocket surgery.