"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jean0987654321 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:51 am

Ribranne is gonna get VA-ed by Ash friggin Ketchum. GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY :o :D

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 am

We Got the Intros to 2 more character voices, both from Universe 10 as expected.

I already heard Rumush in the Pre-Fight episode, but tonight we got to hear U10 Warrior Mulithim and The Angel of U10 Kusu!

I got say that Kusu's Voice Actress suprised me, she did a FAR more mature voice then I thought that they would do for her :think: , so it was strange hearing such more mature style of voice coming from Kusu.

For Mulithim, I am certain that with him uttering BROTHER at least 2 time in his sentences, they where going for a Hulk Hogan homage for his character, which in a funny way fits, so I found it Fun to have a Homage of Hogan in Mulithim! :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINALLY, Next Week is the Premiere of My Girl Brianne/Ribrianne to the Super Funmation Mythos with Veronica Taylor as her Voice!

I Can't Wait for Next Week, Beyond Hyped! :mrgreen: :clap:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:28 am

"God of Destruction" now and they've reverted back to "senzu bean". For the love of god, just have to accept we'll have inconsistent terms in the dub I guess.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:04 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"God of Destruction" now and they've reverted back to "senzu bean". For the love of god, just have to accept we'll have inconsistent terms in the dub I guess.
"God of Destruction" never went away, though. I'm pretty sure it's been used in English marketing of the series. Hell, it was used in the Battle of Gods dub, wasn't it? And "Senzu" is literally short for "Senzu Bean." I don't see how they're being inconsistent with these terms when they've used both off & on for years now.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 am

It's nice rewatching this dub when the episodes are good. While it was cool to hear Caulifla in the last ep, it also meant putting up with the rest of the offensive garbage in the A-plot again. If anything, having it in your own language makes it worse. This episode was more fun. The advantage this time around is that Goku and Gohan aren't voiced by the same person so there's less AT-AT-AT-AT-AT-AT-AT.

Also has anyone else noticed Kyle Hebert really laying on the edge since Gohan got his Ultimate form back? I'm half expecting them to contrive a reason for him to say "Fight you? No, I'm here to kill you" again.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:"God of Destruction" now and they've reverted back to "senzu bean". For the love of god, just have to accept we'll have inconsistent terms in the dub I guess.
"God of Destruction" never went away, though. I'm pretty sure it's been used in English marketing of the series. Hell, it was used in the Battle of Gods dub, wasn't it? And "Senzu" is literally short for "Senzu Bean." I don't see how they're being inconsistent with these terms when they've used both off & on for years now.
Guys like him are just looking for stuff to complain about.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:01 am

TheOne wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
This

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:07 am

Jean0987654321 wrote:Ribranne is gonna get VA-ed by Ash friggin Ketchum. GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY :o :D
Also She the Voice of Sailor Pluto from the Sailor Moon Viz Dub! :wink:

This is a Major Honor to have her Voice Brianne/Ribrianne and is Hyping Brianne's Debut with Fans, LOVING It All! :D
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:49 am

TheOne wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I guess so if you have to make shit up just to find something to hate about a dub that's really good, all things considered.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:11 am

TheOne wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Yup. That guy just never stops.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 am

Simere wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Scsigs wrote: "God of Destruction" never went away, though. I'm pretty sure it's been used in English marketing of the series. Hell, it was used in the Battle of Gods dub, wasn't it? And "Senzu" is literally short for "Senzu Bean." I don't see how they're being inconsistent with these terms when they've used both off & on for years now.
Yup. That guy just never stops.
To bring both of those up...
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:My god people, you’re all acting like someone killed your pet with all this bellyaching over dub changes. Need I once again remind you all how lucky we are that we have a somewhat competent dub compared to Pokemon’s. Want a bad dub, watch that. An episode just got banned because of a stupid reason. At least DBS keeps the Japanese music unlike Pokémon.
Yes thank you! It's absolutely painful being a Pokémon fan not only how bad the dub is but there is no Japanese legal alternative to support.

Everyone giving shit to FUNi yet somehow forget that FUNi are even re translating the subs instead of using the Toei one's, no more "Supreme Kai sama" or "King Kai Fist" all that on top of providing the Japanese track for sub fans. But a dub something that is optional has a few innocuous lines and it's the end of the world.

It seems to me people are wanting there to be some controversy so they can complain, every time there are pages and pages of over reaction and hyperbole over a couple lines in an episode. It's a bit ridiculous at this point especially now people know what they're in for why stick around? You have your version stick to that.

I hope to god there is sub screening for the new movie so we get less of this. Who am I kidding people will still flock to dub screenings and look for things to complain about and we'll get pages and pages on how Broly's grunting is different to the Japanese...
Corrected for some incorrect grammar. WOW, this is hypocritical. You're going to shit on people who complain about innocuous changes in a dub, yet complain that names aren't being used, or are being used inconsistently with substitutions? Jesus, man. Be consistent with your opinions.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:See the problem I have is this thread only blows up when there is "controversy" then all of a sudden everyone wants to chime in, when instances like the Dr Slump episode which was fantastic instead of getting pages and pages on that we get pages and pages on "star of the show" or "make the donuts" one line that lasts a few seconds. Some folks just seem quick to criticize but not praise, that seemed the same with the series itself (which is why I just stayed away from the episode discussion threads).

I am not gonna say every decision they made is good but I also don't think any decision they made is really that bad to warrant reactions. After the line I was like "oh" and that was it forgotten about then come on here and people acting like it is the end of the world. This is the same show in which Toei made the Yamcha mean into an actual thing or need I remind you of #100 it's like they didn't have any shame. Nothing FUNi have done is even remotely as bad as that, nothing as remotely as bad as "lame show" in Kai 2.0.
Again, hypocritical. Man, do you care about dubs being inconsistent, or do you not? Make up your mind.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:59 am

Scsigs wrote:snip
Jesus guys, take a minute to actually read the guy's posts instead of jumping to play "GOTCHA!" on him. He's complaining about inconsistency within the dub itself. The dub has flipflopped from "destroyer" to "God of Destruction" and "Senzu" to "Senzu bean." It's an annoying bit of inconsistency that doesn't have much to do with accuracy. You want the show you're watching to at least have consistent terminology.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 am

Scsigs wrote:“God of Destruction" never went away, though. I'm pretty sure it's been used in English marketing of the series. Hell, it was used in the Battle of Gods dub, wasn't it? And "Senzu" is literally short for "Senzu Bean." I don't see how they're being inconsistent with these terms when they've used both off & on for years now.
Senzu isn’t “literally” short for Senzu Bean. Senzu translated means “Sage Bean.” Senzu bean is “Sage Bean Bean.” It’s like the whole Master Roshi thing where Roshi means old master, so translated it would be “Master Old Master.” The dub has done this weird non-translation thing multiple times.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:45 pm

So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:02 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
That’s awesome bro, let us know what you think after.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:16 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Jesus guys, take a minute to actually read the guy's posts instead of jumping to play "GOTCHA!" on him. He's complaining about inconsistency within the dub itself. The dub has flip-flopped from "destroyer" to "God of Destruction" and "Senzu" to "Senzu bean." It's an annoying bit of inconsistency that doesn't have much to do with accuracy. You want the show you're watching to at least have consistent terminology.
Except "Destroyer" is literally a part of "God of Destruction." It's a synonym & gets the same message across, with "God of Destruction" being his job title & "Destroyer" being the descriptor. It is consistent as long as the words are similar or are used interchangeably. In the English dubs of Battle of Gods, Res F, Super, & the games, it is. On top of that, everyone refers to Beerus as "God of Destruction" outside of the show. It's like Death Note's dub using "Shinigami" & "Death God" early on before entirely going with just the former so the audience is familiar with it.
MajinMan wrote:Senzu isn’t “literally” short for Senzu Bean. Senzu translated means “Sage Bean.” Senzu bean is “Sage Bean Bean.” It’s like the whole Master Roshi thing where Roshi means old master, so translated it would be “Master Old Master.” The dub has done this weird non-translation thing multiple times.
Except most people don't know that unless they look it up. To most of the English-speaking world, "Senzu" is just short for "Senzu Bean," even if it's redundant to add the "bean" part, regardless of translation. It's like the dub saying "Grand Zeno, the Omni King," which is redundant because the second part is literally the translation of the word "Zeno," which they've used interchangeably in the dub. They're also relying on people having watched the older dubs of at least Kai & the movies, since those are the dubs that get the most consistent praise from Dragon Ball fans, as well as being the more recent ones, where they've previously used them. With Roshi, not a lot of people who speak just English & watch the dubs even know that "Roshi" translates to "Master," so it doesn't come off as redundant either.

I'm not saying everyone HAS to see things this way, but freaking out over supposed inconsistencies in a dub (which these really aren't if you've even remotely been paying attention to the dubs of this franchise) isn't really something that makes sense. I get the criticism of some of the translation choices, or some of the off lines, but these really aren't inconsistencies to me.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:25 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
That is awesome. Am so pleased for you, have a great time!.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Wow, that's great! I hope you guys enjoy it.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Impressions, now that I've slept on it; while this is pretty general, there will be some spoilers:
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Not sure if this is offtopic but...Am I the only one who felt somewhat disappointed with some of the voices of the Dragon Ball Super characters:

Magetta: I think he was fine with his Japanese voice, he should had kept it as he was un-intelligible anyways. The American robotic monotone voice is too distracting and clashes with his emotional personality.
Quitela: I feel they could had done better but it does make him less sympathetic so that's good. His laugh is also the best thing about this depiction.

Rumshi: His voice is to similar to Gowasu to the point I can't tell them appart if I had my eyes closed. The voice actor should had put more effort to make him sound like his Japanese and Mexican counterpart or give him a more unique voice.
Cus: She doesn't sound like a kid. But then again, in the manga she was said to be the oldest of the angel siblings but I feel that her anime depiction is too different because of her behaviour is more child like.