Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:08 pm

Here are Movies 10 caps
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:25 pm

Blu-ray:

Amazon:
So now not only is Toei DNR'ing and censoring these, they're also upping the contrast levels? God, I'm glad that I have the Amazon masters saved and synced up.

I wonder if Toei will end up replacing the current Amazon/Netflix masters with the blu-ray ones once they finish releasing them :( .

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Movie 11
Here's a nice high quality version far y'all. Toeis way of flicking us all off.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:29 pm

DHM211 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:Censorship??? :o This is terrible! :( Dragon Box remains the best!

And not just movie 11 but movie 12 too:
Nope, Amazon/netflix rips for the win.
So wait it's just the blu rays then? That doesn't make sense honestly.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:44 pm

Movie 12
Shame they censored this one, i think this one came out looking pretty nice. Welp, one more DBZ movie to go, gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. Started off looking good only for it to go down hill. Now I'm completely worried about any remastering of the series. I cant even begin to imagine how inconsistent the whole thing will be.
Last edited by Bruma rabu on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Toei’s censorship is their “fuck you” to the fans. But they don’t care because everyone gobbles up that plastic, shiny, polyurethane Goku in DB Super and they make huge piles of Yen from it. Why reward someone who beats you over the head with a stick? If people stopped buying crap and demanded the best, we wouldn’t be where we are. Toei will eventually run this franchise into the ground until the name no longer means anything. It’s happened and is happening with other shows.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:40 am

Jesus FUCKING Christ, Toei.

How do they manage to mangle things worse than Funimation? At least Funi strictly fucked with the video, not actually changing and censoring the content on uncut releases. That's absolutely absurd.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:48 am

Forte224 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:Censorship??? :o This is terrible! :( Dragon Box remains the best!

And not just movie 11 but movie 12 too:
Nope, Amazon/netflix rips for the win.
So wait it's just the blu rays then? That doesn't make sense honestly.
Since when have Dragon Ball releases made sense :lol: .

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:43 am

Crazy that Toei in 2018 has transformed into funimation circa 1998 when it comes to censoring their shit.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:38 am

Bruma rabu wrote:Now I'm completely worried about any remastering of the series. I cant even begin to imagine how inconsistent the whole thing will be.
I hope they won't release the series. This is the worst DB home video release ever from Toei. Censorship, DNR, ugly covers... :clap:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:43 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Haha!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Toei Animation censored parts of the movies on top of the DNR problem. Just ... WOW.
It's just sad... And makes me worried, upset and angry. What's the bloody reason?

Edit: is blood/violence censored too, or just middle fingers?
Last edited by sangofe on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:01 am

I guess the silver lining is that if the series gets remastered by Toei and localized, I won't have to spend money on the series yet again. I can just be content with my Dragon Boxes.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:22 am

I hate this. I hate it so much. They were so close, then they decide to muck it up for no reason at all. Oh, and from what I'm seeing it looks like they didn't even correct the color tint, aka the one thing that was actually wrong with the image.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:43 am

Now parts of the movies are worse than Kai 2.0, but the stream version was beautiful.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:11 am

Vegard Aune wrote:I hate this. I hate it so much. They were so close, then they decide to muck it up for no reason at all. Oh, and from what I'm seeing it looks like they didn't even correct the color tint, aka the one thing that was actually wrong with the image.
Since you know japanese (and probably more about Japanese culture than most do)... I've been told by someone that in Japan showing a fist or a middle finger's the same thing. What do you have to say about that statement?
Last edited by sangofe on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote:I prefer Broly with golden hair 8)

Here's a picture of him from the original broadcast:
That's just the TV preview bit. Those often used different animation from the released movies. IIRC the preview of the 10th anniversary movie uses different colouring on some of the animation contained within it, even contains an unused shot. :)
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Toei’s censorship is their “fuck you” to the fans. But they don’t care because everyone gobbles up that plastic, shiny, polyurethane Goku in DB Super and they make huge piles of Yen from it. Why reward someone who beats you over the head with a stick? If people stopped buying crap and demanded the best, we wouldn’t be where we are. Toei will eventually run this franchise into the ground until the name no longer means anything. It’s happened and is happening with other shows.
Dunno about other shows, I don't actually watch a whole ton of anime, so I'll just take your word on that; but as for the rest, I agree with you.
fps_anth wrote:Crazy that Toei in 2018 has transformed into funimation circa 1998 when it comes to censoring their shit.
Not even that. Back in 1998, while Funi would censor their TV dubs, the Pioneer DVDs of the movies put out in 1997 and 1998 were totally uncut and uncensored, and in the 1999+ DVD singles of the series that Funi put out themselves, while I can think of one or two instances where if you watched dubbed there would be one or two shots that are censored a little, if you watched in Japanese, it would be 100% uncut and uncensored.
Sani007 wrote:
Bruma rabu wrote:Now I'm completely worried about any remastering of the series. I cant even begin to imagine how inconsistent the whole thing will be.
I hope they won't release the series. This is the worst DB home video release ever from Toei. Censorship, DNR, ugly covers... :clap:
Let's hope they do the series, but put out an Amazon master before they screw it up for a BD release. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 am

I actually cant believe these ended up this bad, I have the first 4 parts so far but I'm gonna hold off buying anymore until I see how the dragon ball movies turn out. If path to power is censored and dnr'd I'm out. I'll probably end up selling this set if that happens and just watch my dragon box version, kind of a blessing because I really hate the artwork for these sets.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:34 am

The colors and detail are still better than the funimation sets. What we can do is photoshop the censored bits back in for our own "fan works" if you know what I mean.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:41 am

Dagon wrote:The colors and detail are still better than the funimation sets. What we can do is photoshop the censored bits back in for our own "fan works" if you know what I mean.
As far as "fan works" go, the Amazon masters are far superior to the BDs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dagon
Banned

Post by Dagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:18 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Dagon wrote:The colors and detail are still better than the funimation sets. What we can do is photoshop the censored bits back in for our own "fan works" if you know what I mean.
As far as "fan works" go, the Amazon masters are far superior to the BDs.
I was agreeing with that.
I was just saying the quality is close enough that we could put the middle fingers back in with editing and such and match the colors to the Toei versions.