Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Hero_nike wrote:So it did 8,7 million for saturday and sunday combined and not for friday, which is better than Resurrection F, right ?
Not it made that amount across Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

So in Japanese money,, Broly made about 2% more money than Resurrection F but with a whole extra day on it.

Doesn't mean it will finish with less money, maybe it can gain ground on it over the weekdays, over the holiday if it's a longer holiday this time than Golden Week. There's still a chance it could make over ¥4 billion but probably won't make over ¥5 billion.

Hero_nike

Post by Hero_nike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:09 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Hero_nike wrote:So it did 8,7 million for saturday and sunday combined and not for friday, which is better than Resurrection F, right ?
Not it made that amount across Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

So in Japanese money,, Broly made about 2% more money than Resurrection F but with a whole extra day on it.

Doesn't mean it will finish with less money, maybe it can gain ground on it over the weekdays, over the holiday if it's a longer holiday this time than Golden Week. There's still a chance it could make over ¥4 billion but probably won't make over ¥5 billion.
Let's hope that the movie fares better internationally then.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Again, it's too early in the day for actuals, and the screen count is highly suspect. Just wait a few hours.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Again, it's too early in the day for actuals, and the screen count is highly suspect. Just wait a few hours.
Yeah, the "live" reports throughout this thread are growing increasingly haphazard.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 pm

I think I might have jumped the gun. What I'm saying are actual figures would actually still be estimates....just "official" estimates, I think I confused my own estimates with that because all the estimates generally come in Sunday and the actuals come in Monday.

So yes, there's a chance it could be more than $8.7 million. Who knows my ¥1-1.1 billion estimate could be right in the end.

At least one person in the know is saying he thinks it could be around $9.5 million which would instead be a tad above Resurrection F because that's ¥1.075 billion.

Either way it's practically on par with the last movie regardless.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:13 am

The number of screens hardly has any effect. Conan 22 opened in 384 screens and made around ¥1.3 billion yen in its opening weekend which is huge. A record. While Fantastic Beast 2 opened in 1009 screens(second highest screen count ever) and did ¥854 million. Just an example.

What matters is number of boxes allocated. Broli has that. It has opened in more theatres than F. It also has been allocated screens with highest boxes(300,400+ seats). F, on the other hand opened alongside Conan 19, so it didn't have that luxury cause Conan took away some of those big screens.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:16 am

Actuals are out. It did indeed open in 467 screens(360 regular + 31IMAX + 20 MX4D + 56 4DX). But, as I explained it doesn't mean much.

3 day total - ¥1,050,805,000(¥1.05 billion)
3 day admissions - 824,205

The weekend(Sat-Sun) was definitely lower than F. Its 3 day total is more or less the same as F.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:49 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: What matters is number of boxes allocated. Broli has that. It has opened in more theatres than F. It also has been allocated screens with highest boxes(300,400+ seats). F, on the other hand opened alongside Conan 19, so it didn't have that luxury cause Conan took away some of those big screens.
If the thing about the boxes is true then it seems DB does better with smaller and more, rather than bigger and less. Weekend vs weekend is in RoFs favour by a fair amount. What’s the source for the boxes info?
Also RoF outperformed Conan when they were realeased side by side for the first weekend. Maybe Conan aided it, or RoF sapped it, but either way it does seem like the screens have made a difference. I guess this approach is more cost effective for Toei? Honestly I believe that with DB being bigger now you’d think the weekend would be bigger than RoF, and the only thing that seems to have changed is the screens.

Hopefully DBSB keeps a bit of steam into the week, I believe RoF made ¥91million on Monday. I guess the gross in these weekdays coming will be the best comparison it seems.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 am

Would it be wrong to assume that the biggest difference between DBSB and RoF will come from the global performance? I mean, it did seam like they went all out with international marketing.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 am

Sora Saiyan wrote: What’s the source for the boxes info ?
I checked the major big theatres where its playing and counted it.
Sora Saiyan wrote:Also RoF outperformed Conan when they were realeased side by side for the first weekend. Maybe Conan aided it, or RoF sapped it, but either way it does seem like the screens have made a difference. I guess this approach is more cost effective for Toei? Honestly I believe that with DB being bigger now you’d think the weekend would be bigger than RoF, and the only thing that seems to have changed is the screens.
F had Freeza. The most popular villain. And, the gifts for the first 1.5 million attendees were more valuable. It was giving away the whole script, so I assume it was more valuable than a bunch of cards and figurines or whatever this time. That made a difference.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 am

I haven't seen any actual figures just yet but ¥1.05 billion would be alright I suppose, that's virtually the same as Resurrection F or slightly below but in terms of dollars it is higher, about $9.3 million.

Resurrection F made ¥1.357 billion in 6 days. So that would be the next target.

As of Monday...it's already dropped to #2, behind the movie that it just opened better than so it's probably going to be front loaded again. Resurrection F was one of the most front loaded of all of 2015 so it might happen again.

Edit: Oh I see it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ce/.140911

"The film sold more than 820,000 tickets and earned more than 1,050,000,000 yen (about US$9.26 million) in its first three days. Toei stated it anticipates the film will earn more than 5 billion yen (about US$44 million)."

So it looks like they've set a goal again. For Resurrection F they said ¥4 billion which it fell short of. This time ¥5 billion which it will probably fall short of again but might mean it will surpass Resurrection F total.
Michsi wrote:Would it be wrong to assume that the biggest difference between DBSB and RoF will come from the global performance? I mean, it did seam like they went all out with international marketing.
No that's definitely going to be the case. There isn't the room for growth in Japan like there is everywhere else. I was told this movie is going to be in about 1,200 theatres in US for about a month which would be a much bigger release than the last one.

Wherever it may fall short in Japan it's going to more than make up for Worldwide.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:58 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote: What’s the source for the boxes info ?
I checked the major big theatres where its playing and counted it.
Sora Saiyan wrote:Also RoF outperformed Conan when they were realeased side by side for the first weekend. Maybe Conan aided it, or RoF sapped it, but either way it does seem like the screens have made a difference. I guess this approach is more cost effective for Toei? Honestly I believe that with DB being bigger now you’d think the weekend would be bigger than RoF, and the only thing that seems to have changed is the screens.
F had Freeza. The most popular villain. And, the gifts for the first 1.5 million attendees were more valuable. It was giving away the whole script, so I assume it was more valuable than a bunch of cards and figurines or whatever this time. That made a difference.
Gifts were SDBH cards, some small movie screenshots thing and the clear file for IMAX however the special movie booklet here cost money (just under 1000yen IIRC) and a whole other bunch of merchandise was sold on the theatre floor (ranging from all sorts of prices) this is not to even mention all the other tie ins around the country and then all Banpresto figures for the month got an over abundance of case orders a hell of a lot more than ResF also aided further by the gamestation exclusivity they've pulled.

The fact that they maybe below ResF in terms of BO doesn't really matter they've more than made up for and probably more elsewhere.

It is similar I guess to Man of Steel and why WB considered it a success because it apparently pocketed 200m before the film even came out through tie ins etc.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

Rof made almost 65M worldwide and it was not in that many theathers as Broly movie in the US, so I expect at least 10M more. I predict 80M worldwide.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 am

Weekend(Sat-Sun) actuals - ¥813 million
Admissions - 639,000

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 am

So a fairly light Friday with a strong weekend then?
The movie has very good word of mouth, which is the most important factor in a movie's legs, it's definitely going to make a good deal more than F.

Where is the info that it's number 2 for Monday? We just got actuals for Friday-Sunday.

SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

What was the budget for this film?

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:20 pm

SaiyanBaller22 wrote:What was the budget for this film?
Going completely off memory but I remember BOG was something like 400,000 but I don't recall if it was stated in American or Japanese figures. I'd honestly imagine this wasn't much higher, just with a better staff.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Now that we have a gross and the ticket sales, we can tell the average ticket price is ¥1,275 which is actually less than Resurrection F. But from that now the estimates become more accurate to make.

For Monday I estimate it's made ¥80 million ($700,000). So about ¥1.13 billion total ($10 million).

Funnily enough after 6 days this will actually be behind Resurrection F and Battle of Gods at the same point. Battle of Gods sold 988,000 tickets in 5 days. Broly has sold about 885,000 tickets in 4 days.
ArchedThunder wrote:Where is the info that it's number 2 for Monday? We just got actuals for Friday-Sunday.
Its on the same site from where I'd been making the estimates off of. Granted it's very close and maybe in gross it might be #1 but in tickets it might be #2 behind Grinch.
SaiyanBaller22 wrote:What was the budget for this film?
I don't know but the budget for Resurrection F was $5 million. This would cost more.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm

I think you are continuing to undershoot this movie's performance.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:09 pm

¥80-85 million sounds about right for Monday. Tomorrow will be even lower cause its the most dull day at the box office.

Its lower ticket price than F comes as a bit of surprise. I guess the premium formats didn't do as well or it skewed slightly more kids than the last two films. It must be the SDBH cards that attracted them.