Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Mostly Toei just needs to fix Freeza's wish more than anything else. That is bordering on character assassination.
That's such an insignificat part of the movie it hardly matters. Broly's 150% reboot is actual character assassination.
They fixed the character. The only one was complete trash. Go watch anybody's review of the movie. Broly is an interesting, fascinating and interesting character now, where as he was a dumb brute before.

Rejuvenating what use to be the worst character in the franchise /=/ character assassination

It is an insignificant part, but it still isn't something Freeza would do.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote: Mostly Toei just needs to fix Freeza's wish more than anything else. That is bordering on character assassination.
That's such an insignificat part of the movie it hardly matters. Broly's 150% reboot is actual character assassination.
They fixed the character. The only one was complete trash. Go watch anybody's review of the movie. Broly is an interesting, fascinating and interesting character now, where as he was a dumb brute before.

Rejuvenating what use to be the worst character in the franchise /=/ character assassination
No, they did not "fix" the character. Stop making factual claims about that. "Go and do that". Okay. Go and read the 10x where I already explained how that was a failure. Just because you think old Broly is trash he is not trash. And erasing Broly out of Broly does not fix Broly. And go watch anybody's review? I did? How come so many agree with me that it was a mixed bag? How come Broly fans like me are underwhelmed? And you clearly did not watch the movie. He is not "more fascinating" as they (or more like, Toriyama-san) flat out removed layers of him just to emphasize on one that already existed.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Watched a few leaks on youtube... some impressions:

1-Bardock & Gine scene is heartwarming, makes me hope we get to see them again somehow.
2-Bardock death scene is weird, where did he get that battle damage? I guess there will be a extended version of the movie and we are going to get to see what happened, still sad as hell considering that this time, he actually struggled against Freezas energy ball and tried to keep on untill the end, while the others did nothing but see Bardock being the only one fighting for everyone.
3-I really like this version of Broly, so much better than his "KAKAROTTO!1!" Movie 8 counterpart.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm

Seems my first impressions of this movie were right.

Totally underwhelming. Not the best movie by any means. Pretty animation can't save a movie thats 90% fanservice. Not caring for Minus is an understatement and I hope we never have to see it again. Also I dont like this new Broly. They turned what was cool about Broly in Movie 8, crumbled it up and threw it away. He's not a deep fascinating character, it's an old worn out character trope that plagues anime. His backstory is the same but him basically being a full-blooded Saiyan version of Gohan is really stupid. The whole "hes not bad" they kept saying over and over is just a big eye roll for me. I'm not really seeing this "depth" he has in comparison to the original Broly, tbh. And this is coming from someone who's not really a big fan of the old Broly.

They really should have just made a new character, but nope. Gotta have that marketing to sell more toys! :roll:

Also his transformation was lacking imo. He went SSJ (still in the armor) and then he's suddenly legendary. Big whoop.

Vegeta did absolutely nothing, which is stupid considering how much he was marketed. Not that I really care because I dont like Vegeta at all in the modern incarnation of the series, but still.

Less said about what they did to Freeza the better.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:06 pm

Venus wrote: 3-I really like this version of Broly, so much better than his "KAKAROTTO!1!" Movie 8 counterpart.
There is no "movie 8 Kakarotto" counterpart. Broly never was like that in movie 8. He screamed Kakarotto for a brief time and then became very articulate while enjoying the blood fest.

Seriously, Broly haters either have never seen his movie or suffer from confabulation.
Dbzfan94 wrote: I'm not really seeing this "depth" he has in comparison to the original Broly, tbh..
Cause there is not. Instead of a two-dimensional cardboard cutout one side was removed and the remaining one was painted nicer.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Cetra wrote:
Venus wrote: 3-I really like this version of Broly, so much better than his "KAKAROTTO!1!" Movie 8 counterpart.
There is no "movie 8 Kakarotto" counterpart. Broly never was like that in movie 8. He screamed Kakarotto for a brief time and then became very articulate while enjoying the blood fest.

Seriously, Broly haters either have never seen his movie or suffer from confabulation.
People seem to forget broly was an actual character in Movie 8. Was he the deepest most complex villain? No. But he wasn't the screaming hulk that he was in Movie 10 (and ironically, this movie, once the fighting starts)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Cetra wrote:

People seem to forget broly was an actual character in Movie 8. Was he the deepest most complex villain? No. But he wasn't the screaming hulk that he was in Movie 10 (and ironically, this movie, once the fighting starts)
I even edited my post to answer to yours. Really all the Broly haters do not even know him. Where have I seen this before ... oh yeah, right. Its the same with GT.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:14 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Having been fortunate enough to have seen the movie as well let me share my own thoughts. For starters, let me just say that I did enjoy the film and I hope everyone watches it and enjoys it as well. For me, BoG still bests it by a bit overall and I actually do think some of the older movies also come close as well (personal opinion). The beginning half of the movie as mentioned here dives into the DB minus stuff. To me, it felt kind of rushed, which is odd. However, I truly believe a lot of what was cut from the film was in this section.

For example, Bardock is shown with battle damage right before he meets his end, but we don't know why that is. I personally prefer the old school Bardock personality as well, but scenes with him and Gine/Goku were touching. Young Frieza was delightful to see and we get a taste of his ruthless behaviour when he takes care of some "scouts" ;).

While I like that there was some actual story in this movie, certain points were never expanded upon. It's simply fast forward to present day and then we get ready for non stop action to the near end.

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the new designs. For the most part though, the movie looked just fine. However, due to diff styles there were definitely a few scenes that were jarring to transition to. For me, a balance of good art and animation is ideal. This is why Takahashi's/Shida (and the others who worked on Gogeta scenes) sections of the film are the best. Some people say that Shidas work here bests his Goku vs Jiren section, but i personally have to disagree there.Vegeta vs Broly was absolutely incredible and it's one of the things that was talked about most from what I heard after the movie. When Frieza is observing the fight (with the dragon balls levitated to his chest) he looks so amazing. When Frieza then switched styles to look like the design sheets, it was odd to look at (due to feature placements). For some people, turning Frieza into something "cute" was nice but for me it isn't.

I know many of the members of this board will praise Onishi's and Tate's work but for me they were the least appealing. Onishi's section was OUTSTANDING animation wise, but the art in this section took me out of it (not the entire section but several points). The scene with Goku bouncing up and down like in the teaser we got way back is in and I hate how Goku looks in it, once again the feature placement and toon look just doesn't appeal to me. Tate, well, once again...animation was smooth as butter but art sticks out. Luckily, overall this was not a dealbreaker problem. The CG of the film at some points was okay and others was pretty ugh as well. During these scenes the characters were also going so fast that it was hard to keep up. Don't get me wrong now, overall the film's visuals are one (if not the) biggest highlight of the film. The SB is exceptional and the colors truly are stunning. Effects work were also beautiful! From this standpoint is this the most beautiful looking film? Yes.

I do want to mention that the soundtrack for the film was also a highlight for me. The music is soothing when needed and powerful for those fight scenes. There is a scene where Broly is slowly getting agitated and ready to fight Goku and Vegeta and the music in this particular scene is so good leading up to the eventual charge attack from Broly. Suimitomo really did a great job.

I definitely need to watch it again to confirm my first impressions but overall I think it's still a solid film that for sure needs to be enjoyed on the big screen for the ideal experience. It definitely has its flaws but it also has some really humorous character interactions and (for the most part) is a visual spectacle. The ending of it also has me curious on where we will go from there. ;)

If I were to rate it for a first viewing, I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Grimlock wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Having been fortunate enough to have seen the movie as well let me share my own thoughts.
I wouldn't usually ask this kind of question but since the movie is far away from being released here, gotta ask: do you think Bardock Falls fits perfectly with the climax of Bardock, his scenes and the destruction of planet Vegeta?

I thought it suited fine, but It would of been more emotional imo if there was an actual "last stand" instead of
Overall, I enjoyed the music in the film a lot and I think many will agree!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Holy shit, the battles were a lot better than I was expecting. I can't wait to buy the film on Blu-ray.
Xeogran wrote:...and to think there were people who didn't want Gogeta to be in this movie.
Holy shit were all of his scenes beautifully animated.
They could've still animated Gokuu and Vegeta teaming up with Freeza to defeat Broli with the same animators.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Having been fortunate enough to have seen the movie as well let me share my own thoughts. For starters, let me just say that I did enjoy the film and I hope everyone watches it and enjoys it as well. For me, BoG still bests it by a bit overall and I actually do think some of the older movies also come close as well (personal opinion). The beginning half of the movie as mentioned here dives into the DB minus stuff. To me, it felt kind of rushed, which is odd. However, I truly believe a lot of what was cut from the film was in this section.

For example, Bardock is shown with battle damage right before he meets his end, but we don't know why that is. I personally prefer the old school Bardock personality as well, but scenes with him and Gine/Goku were touching. Young Frieza was delightful to see and we get a taste of his ruthless behaviour when he takes care of some "scouts" ;).

While I like that there was some actual story in this movie, certain points were never expanded upon. It's simply fast forward to present day and then we get ready for non stop action to the near end.

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the new designs. For the most part though, the movie looked just fine. However, due to diff styles there were definitely a few scenes that were jarring to transition to. For me, a balance of good art and animation is ideal. This is why Takahashi's/Shida (and the others who worked on Gogeta scenes) sections of the film are the best. Some people say that Shidas work here bests his Goku vs Jiren section, but i personally have to disagree there.Vegeta vs Broly was absolutely incredible and it's one of the things that was talked about most from what I heard after the movie. When Frieza is observing the fight (with the dragon balls levitated to his chest) he looks so amazing. When Frieza then switched styles to look like the design sheets, it was odd to look at (due to feature placements). For some people, turning Frieza into something "cute" was nice but for me it isn't.

I know many of the members of this board will praise Onishi's and Tate's work but for me they were the least appealing. Onishi's section was OUTSTANDING animation wise, but the art in this section took me out of it (not the entire section but several points). The scene with Goku bouncing up and down like in the teaser we got way back is in and I hate how Goku looks in it, once again the feature placement and toon look just doesn't appeal to me. Tate, well, once again...animation was smooth as butter but art sticks out. Luckily, overall this was not a dealbreaker problem. The CG of the film at some points was okay and others was pretty ugh as well. During these scenes the characters were also going so fast that it was hard to keep up. Don't get me wrong now, overall the film's visuals are one (if not the) biggest highlight of the film. The SB is exceptional and the colors truly are stunning. Effects work were also beautiful! From this standpoint is this the most beautiful looking film? Yes.

I do want to mention that the soundtrack for the film was also a highlight for me. The music is soothing when needed and powerful for those fight scenes. There is a scene where Broly is slowly getting agitated and ready to fight Goku and Vegeta and the music in this particular scene is so good leading up to the eventual charge attack from Broly. Suimitomo really did a great job.

I definitely need to watch it again to confirm my first impressions but overall I think it's still a solid film that for sure needs to be enjoyed on the big screen for the ideal experience. It definitely has its flaws but it also has some really humorous character interactions and (for the most part) is a visual spectacle. The ending of it also has me curious on where we will go from there. ;)

If I were to rate it for a first viewing, I'd give it an 8 out of 10.
From what I've heard of the songs (both the full soundtrack and parts of the movie) I felt they matched the scenes, but BoG and RoF look better on that. I would say that several songs from these two films have been really memorable (and even serve as inspiration for the DBS soundtrack), but for now, I do not think any of the songs of DBS Broly have really been amazing to me.

I'd like to highlight a RoF OST that is incredible (though it's not my favorite in the movie)

https://youtu.be/9Xdyd4FsKvk?t=63

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:36 pm

I hope they sub it soon.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:49 pm

Simere wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Forte224 wrote: People still might not want him simply because he's seen just as fan service and does nothing to further the story besides beating up the bad guy. Animation isn't everything.
Gogeta is fanservice but so would Goku using UI again and beating Broly which is the other option a lot of ppl wanted. Once they get into the fighting aspect it doesn’t sound like there is much of any story anyways even before Gogeta enters the picture it’s just one long extended fight. Gogeta fits right in. The entire movie is basically fanservice.
Goku reaches a new plateau, a new mountain is found, the story goes forward. That's how it works. The story would have advanced if Goku furthered his mastery of UI.

Not that that's what I wanted. But fusion changes nothing at all(and is actively harmful). Not even a side advancement of Goku's and Vegeta's willingness to team-up.

You mean how Goku would Master a power up just because he is having a hard fight just like in the TOP. It would be even worse because we literally just saw UI but now a movie later he can now do it whenever he wants. It’s not a new plateau if Goku could just do it one movie later with no actual struggle. I give them credit that they didn’t do that. Though I am sure he will get it in the next big story arc. Really Goku & Vegeta for that matter getting new power ups is also not new. It’s also just another thing like Gogeta to sell stuff. It’s not like there is some major character development behind Goku getting UI.

How is Fusion harmful? No it’s not anything new and it’s just fanservice of seeing Gogeta vs Broly but it’s not harmful for Goku & Vegeta to have an Ace up their sleeve and to use it. In fact it’s stupid for them not to use it the only thing that prevents fusion more often is Goku & Vegeta’s Saiyan nature’s and preferring to have a fight to themselves. And they do Team Up in this movie against Broly before fusing but apparently that’s not enough. Same as it wasn’t enough against Jiren.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:07 am

Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Cetra wrote:

No, they did not "fix" the character. Stop making factual claims about that. "Go and do that". Okay. Go and read the 10x where I already explained how that was a failure. Just because you think old Broly is trash he is not trash. And erasing Broly out of Broly does not fix Broly. And go watch anybody's review? I did? How come so many agree with me that it was a mixed bag? How come Broly fans like me are underwhelmed? And you clearly did not watch the movie. He is not "more fascinating" as they (or more like, Toriyama-san) flat out removed layers of him just to emphasize on one that already existed.
I never claimed it was a fact. This is obviously just my take on it. I am not in any way under the impression that my opinion is somehow an objective certainty.

As far as I'm concerned, they made Broly into a fascinating, interesting character. Movie 8 had some pretty good fight scenes, and it to it's credit, had an overwhelming feeling of tension, because you got the idea that the characters had no hope, but Broly is the worst character in this franchise. Even worse than the garbage that is Majin Boo. He's just a painfully generic brute that yells and screams. Sure, you can spin his backstory to not be related to Kakarot crying, but at the end of the day he was still a generic evil guy that yells a lot. He epitomizes all of the stupid garbage mainstream people think of when they think of Dragon Ball Z. Screaming power-ups, with little substance. What layers are you even talking about? There are no layers. He's a painfully shallow character.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 am

Cetra wrote:
zarmack wrote: If Vegeta is pointless in the film then so is Goku, since he does essentially no better than him fight-wise nor plot-wise in the movie.
They are both totally meaningless and it is funny how the old movie was so much more when it comes to that. Also I think the Gogeta part was an absolute disappointment. Not visually but simply because of what happened. Not only did it spit on Broly but it was hardly climactic battle. Ikari and Super Saiyan were more enjoyable to watch for me. And that is what I f'ing hate so much about this LSSJ and I said it before: This thing now is just Freeza 100% or Roshi or Bojack 100%. All the magic is gone. Way to miss what Broly is.
Yeah I was enjoying the SS vs SS fight....and the latter big fight was a spectacle, but a massive stompfest. It kinda does feel like LSSJ Broly was a complete afterthought in the movie. All the hype was for the rage form. LSSJ was completely unimpressive and less special that you coulda not had it and the story would not change. Shoulda kept the theme of Broly keeps getting stronger to make the fight more interesting. So Gogeta stomps but overtime Broly catches up so Gogeta has to take him down before it's too late. That would have had some drama. Could even have Broly's weakness be even he can't surpass his limits too far or the power becomes too much for his body. Fights were definitely cool, but I do agree that you might as well have different character here.

I like some of the things they did for Broly, but they also got rid of the things that made him cool in the first place. I didn't want him yelling Kakarotto and stomping around, I didn't need that. But I wanted that imposing presence which really isn't there for the most part. Funny enough Kale had that feeling more than new Broly XD. That's probably what disappoints me so much. LSSJ was such a huge deal....but here it's just turned into a power up that didn't seem to make a difference.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:20 am

PFM18 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I never claimed it was a fact. This is obviously just my take on it. I am not in any way under the impression that my opinion is somehow an objective certainty.

As far as I'm concerned, they made Broly into a fascinating, interesting character. Movie 8 had some pretty good fight scenes, and it to it's credit, had an overwhelming feeling of tension, because you got the idea that the characters had no hope, but Broly is the worst character in this franchise. Even worse than the garbage that is Majin Boo. He's just a painfully generic brute that yells and screams. Sure, you can spin his backstory to not be related to Kakarot crying, but at the end of the day he was still a generic evil guy that yells a lot. He epitomizes all of the stupid garbage mainstream people think of when they think of Dragon Ball Z. Screaming power-ups, with little substance. What layers are you even talking about? There are no layers. He's a painfully shallow character.
But why the new Broly is a more interesting and fascinating character?

I think the old Broly is terrible, and that's why I still do not like the new one.
The Broly of this film is very similar, the difference is that it has a sadder and more plausible background, and a better relationship with his father, but he remains almost expressionless and has few interesting interactions during the fight, much like the old Broly. Basically, he did not say a word throughout the battle

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:The Broly of this film is very similar, the difference is that it has a sadder and more plausible background, and a better relationship with his father, but he remains almost expressionless and has few interesting interactions during the fight, much like the old Broly. Basically, he did not say a word throughout the battle
They are only similar when they are angry and rampaging. They are otherwise completely different characters with no resemblance whatsoever other than trivial similarities.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:36 am

PFM18 wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:The Broly of this film is very similar, the difference is that it has a sadder and more plausible background, and a better relationship with his father, but he remains almost expressionless and has few interesting interactions during the fight, much like the old Broly. Basically, he did not say a word throughout the battle
They are only similar when they are angry and rampaging. They are otherwise completely different characters with no resemblance whatsoever other than trivial similarities.
Even without considering when Broly is angry, he is not a very expressive character. Broly's own voicewriter said he tried not to express too much emotion, not even in a scene where he talks about his past.

And if during the battle he will go completely crazy anyway, then this also reduces the chances of interactions in the fight. In addition to his background and interactions with some characters, I do not see a very charismatic character

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 am

I'd say the new Broly is an expressive character. But he is rather subdued.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 am

Kinokima wrote:You mean how Goku would Master a power up just because he is having a hard fight just like in the TOP. It would be even worse because we literally just saw UI but now a movie later he can now do it whenever he wants. It’s not a new plateau if Goku could just do it one movie later with no actual struggle. I give them credit that they didn’t do that. Though I am sure he will get it in the next big story arc. Really Goku & Vegeta for that matter getting new power ups is also not new. It’s also just another thing like Gogeta to sell stuff. It’s not like there is some major character development behind Goku getting UI.
The point is that in a story centered on fighting, actually becoming a better fighter is the primary vehicle of progression and change. Fusion does not make them better fighters. UI would.

Again, not that I necessarily wanted that to happen(I would have liked it but there are other options short of UI to move things along). It's just not right to say they're same. When Goku masters UI new worlds and dimensions will be the result.
How is Fusion harmful? No it’s not anything new and it’s just fanservice of seeing Gogeta vs Broly but it’s not harmful for Goku & Vegeta to have an Ace up their sleeve and to use it. In fact it’s stupid for them not to use it the only thing that prevents fusion more often is Goku & Vegeta’s Saiyan nature’s and preferring to have a fight to themselves. And they do Team Up in this movie against Broly before fusing but apparently that’s not enough. Same as it wasn’t enough against Jiren.
Among other things, it's harmful to have an ace up your sleeve and never use it. You said it. Quoting myself quoting myself:
Even if fusion doesn't happen, the mere fact that it can happen creates problems, namely with establishing drama. Quoting myself:
There was no reason not to fuse before, except pride. That was literally the only reason, because even when we still thought it to be permanent there were ways to undo it if they won. So the entire time you're watching them fight an enemy they "can't beat", you'd know things aren't that bad because they haven't resorted to fusing yet, as we know they will if it comes down to it.
And I didn't mean to suggest that Goku and Vegeta didn't team up. I meant that even if someone wanted to argue that Gogeta is advancing the plot point of Goku and Vegeta reluctance to team up, it's not true as it's not new, and it will not be leveraged going forward. It will be the exact same thing next time. It's another example of DBS's stagnancy.

By the way, Kataphrut, are you around? Because I was right.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:31 am

Hulk10 wrote:I'd say the new Broly is an expressive character. But he is rather subdued.
Yep I'd agree. They did a good job showing more visual story telling for him to make up for his more subdued speech. I like that very brief flashback Broly has when he and Paragus first meet Frieza. Where he remembers being an Ozaaru looking out at the moon(I believe) on vampa. Thought it was a real cool scene.

Now to another thing. these old vs new arguments are getting redundant. Old Broly isn't nearly as bad as he's portrayed by the fandom in movie 8, but he sure as hell isn't the pinnacle of writing. New Broly isn't just the most deeply fascinating character in comparison either

I think both Broly are just about as complex, but I think the new one was executed better overall.

I mean either way these are dragon ball characters so its not like they are going to win any awards.
Last edited by HeartMachine3578 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.