Thoughts on why they might not have included Ultra Instinct in the DBS movie

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Thoughts on why they might not have included Ultra Instinct in the DBS movie

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:30 pm

The Dragon Ball room wanted to save Ultra Instinct for later stories and not waste its unique appeal for an inconsequential movie featuring a character that has already had enough exposure in the franchise (Broly).

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Thoughts on why they might not have included Ultra Instinct in the DBS movie

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:13 pm

There's simply no reason to always include every trump card in every instance. Ultra Instinct is the be all end all. We just saw it in the Tournament of Power, so it would be boring to see it again. It's much more unique to see something different like Gogeta. It doesn't mean we won't ever see Ultra Instinct again. It just means for now, it's not an ability that Goku can access willingly and this makes it the technique more of a surprise. It would be quite boring if every villain that Goku encounters, he uses UI for. In the SDBH manga, Cumber has defeated both SSJ4 Vegito and SSB Vegito but is ultimately defeated by UI Goku, showing that UI is even better than fusion. By not using UI, it's also less of the "Goku show" as Vegeta is needed to make Gogeta. It's a win-win for Vegeta and Goku fans.
DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:19 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:In the SDBH manga, Cumber has defeated both SSJ4 Vegito and SSB Vegito.
I don't remember seeing Vegetto and Xeno Vegetto defeated. :eh:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:04 pm

Grimlock wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:In the SDBH manga, Cumber has defeated both SSJ4 Vegito and SSB Vegito.
I don't remember seeing Vegetto and Xeno Vegetto defeated. :eh:
Well, Cumber wasn't defeated by them and in the subsequent chapter, he was defeated by UI Goku. That's what I mean. Both the fusions took some damage from Cumber. The chapter summary says itself that Vegito couldn't do anything against SSJ3 Cumber, but UI Goku did.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Maybe to make it more different to Goku's natural transformations as something that he has no true control. I really want this to be true so it will make it more special.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:42 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:Well, Cumber wasn't defeated by them and in the subsequent chapter, he was defeated by UI Goku. That's what I mean.
Neither defeated each other, and we haven't seen Ultra Instinct Goku vs Cumber yet.
shadowfox87 wrote:Both the fusions took some damage from Cumber.
That does not mean defeat though.
shadowfox87 wrote:The chapter summary says itself that Vegito couldn't do anything against SSJ3 Cumber, but UI Goku did.
What chapter summary?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

shadowfox87
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Grimlock wrote:
shadowfox87 wrote:The chapter summary says itself that Vegito couldn't do anything against SSJ3 Cumber, but UI Goku did.
What chapter summary?
The chapter has already come out in the Saikyo Jump and was translated a few days ago. viewtopic.php?f=11&p=1561487#p1561487 The fusions may not have been defeated but it should be clear who has the advantage from the summary alone.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm happy that UI didn't make it to movie because i don't like it and i prefer to see Gogeta.

But other than that, i just think it's better if this form is (at least for now) exclusive to tournament of power.
It's pretty good to have one form that doesn't appear in almost every single fight after its debut. I wouldn't mind if it never appeared again in main story or at least not for a really long time.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:42 pm

shadowfox87 wrote:The chapter has already come out in the Saikyo Jump and was translated a few days ago. viewtopic.php?f=11&p=1561487#p1561487 The fusions may not have been defeated but it should be clear who has the advantage from the summary alone.
That is not even an official summary, just some point of view of a person's interpretation. Can't base/claim anything from that, better wait until more people can actually read it and check for themselves.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 pm

Maybe not including Ultra Instinct is to change things up for marketing purposes, audience thrill and to keep the form special by not wearing out it's welcome.

I'm guessing Toriyama will be asked this question when his interviews concerning this movie comes out.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Maybe some cosmic scale menace other than Broly would be more suitable to challenge its return, but it should come back one day as Whis described UI being the end goal of divine training, otherwise it would create a pretty loose ending of that story feature. Goku and Vegeta are not going to take such a big step forward just by sparring in Blue, a big opponent coming forward should provoke them breaking their limits once again. It'll taste better though if it comes back unexpected after a longer period of abscence.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm

As much as I would have loved to see Ultra Instinct in the new style, I’m glad it didn’t appear.
First of all, this was a movie about Saiyans so it makes sense, thematically, for UI to not appear as that has nothing to do with Super Saiyan forms.
Also, as other users pointed out, Ultra Instinct is supposed to be a special power Goku has to work towards to attain: we were just shown a glimpse of it in the ToP.
When UI will be back, it will probably be an epic moment.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical