Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:52 am

Is it necessary, yes or no? (IF the anime comes back)

Personally, I would say no since there aren't any crucial incidents happening in this movie that can affect that much a possible continuation of the story.
Beerus, Whis and Super Saiyan God (BOG) had to be explained since they were new important characters for the story. Golden Freeza and Super Saiyan Blue too since this is where (ROF) these forms had been introduced for the very first time.

I mean, imagine if DB Super started with U6 arc and the first time you could ever see Super Saiyan God (Red form) or Golden Freeza was in the Tournament of Power. :P

The Broly movie can be skipped in my opinion. So I would say no but I wouldn't mind that much an anime adaptation since some things in the Broly movie felt rushed and they could have a better exposure if they were in the anime.

What do you think?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Anime adaptation of the Broly movie: is it necessary?

Post by Grimlock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm

Regarding previous retellings, I would say absolutely not. Movie 14 and Movie 15 were poorly retold and the result in general was not good at all, so it is best not to waste time retelling something that doesn't need a retelling and make the same mistakes.

That said though, depending on the execution of the past section in the film, I actually might want a retelling. From what people said, the flashback is rushed and not much is developed or seen in the movie. So, in this particular and specific case, a retelling might (and I can't stress "might" enough) be necessary.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:32 pm

I despised the DBS retelling and didn’t want this movie to have one but after hearing that the script was cut in half from the original and watching the movie for myself, I firmly believe that the movie’s pacing was rushed and that an anime retelling would do it much favor in the pacing department.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:44 pm

It depends on if any interesting dialogue was cut from the script. This movie relies so heavily on its' incredible animation that without it (I doubt a weekly dbs version will look anywhere near as cool) it loses a lot of the point of the project. I'd rather have a director's cut of the film because this movie is mostly spectacle.

IF there's interesting lore or dialogue that was lost, then yes. If not, no.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm

I would be completely fine with a new series picking up as the Manga did after the ToP. We acknowledge that Broly happened briefly, maybe in a "last time on Dragonball Super" type deal, and we start in. Then we can reintroduce Broly and have small flashbacks.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I would hope they could reuse the movie animation if they did retell the movie in the next series. Still, retelling gives more opportunities to improve upon the characters and story, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:37 pm

No, complete waste of time.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm

No. Not only would the animation most likely not being as good. What would they even add? Show Bardock fighting Freeza's soldiers ? More of Broly's life on Vampa? SSBKK and SSBE used ? I'd rather not have to wait 4-5 months after the anime returns to get new story content

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Only if they could entirely re-use the animation from the movie while adding the parts of the original storyboard which had to be cut.
Otherwise, I am more in favour of no retelling as it risks messing up with people’s head regarding the story if it changes some things, and there’s the risk of it ending up doing more harm than good. There’s also the fact of having to wait yet another few months to get to new material, while watching a story everyone already knows because of the movie.
I also think that the movie is basically fine as it is and that if they can add around 20 minutes for the Fuji TV/home release, than that will probably be enough to add the interesting parts that had to be cut from the original storyboard.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:37 pm

If the movie doesn't do a good enough job of developing Broly or providing a layered enough narrative, then perhaps a 6 episode mini arc retelling would do the movie some favors.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 pm

If the movie pulls a Boruto while redrawing/reusing shots/scenes from the movie while also adding in other story elements, then we could actually find ourselves a good re-telling. A re-telling would also be essential if we don't get an Broly extended edition on home release because the actual movie itself has so many things cut and the pacing is too fast.

Also, if the new anime is using the new arc from the manga, then a re-telling would also allow for a good amount of time for the manga to continue to get a head-start.

There is nothing really wrong with a re-telling as long as it is done right. All Toei needs to do is to reuse the movie footage, and add and change little things in-between scenes from the reused movie. The pacing of the re-telling's episodes also have to be good and shouldn't bore the viewers. And there you go.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:11 pm

I am also wondering how the production team will feel if they tell them to do the Broly movie again. ROF (movie) was finished in spring 2015 and they had to do the same thing again in autumn 2015. Must be boring...

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:16 pm

They definitely need to do that or they can scrap this guy they called Broly.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 pm

No, this movie doesn't introduce anything relevant to franchise so it's absolutely skippable.
BoG and RoF were different because they introduced god ki and two new forms.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:58 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:No, this movie doesn't introduce anything relevant to franchise so it's absolutely skippable.
You don’t believe that Broli (who’ll likely be a recurring character) is relevant?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Helios518 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:No, this movie doesn't introduce anything relevant to franchise so it's absolutely skippable.
You don’t believe that Broli (who’ll likely be a recurring character) is relevant?
If he will return then maybe.
But if they don't plan to bring him back there is no single reason to do another boring retelling.
Also, Garlic Jr appeared in DBZ without movie retelling. Not saying it's a good thing but you could understand everything without seeing Dead Zone before.
They could bring back Broly without retelling this movie. Digimon series reference movies in anime without retelling them. If you are interested in DBS sequel then you probably watched this movie anyway by the time series is released. If not, your problem. They could explain events of movie with a short retrospection or dialogue. Broly, especially this new one, is such simple character that there is nothing to talk about except for a fact that he once appeared and they fought but he turned out to be good person.

The same goes for Gogeta. Did GT care about mentioning Fusion Reborn which, unlike DBS: Broly, couldn't even fit into storyline? If they wanted to put Gogeta in new series they can just fuse without mentioning how Vegeta learned this technique. It's kinda your responsibility to know this movie.

BoG and RoF were different once again, because DBS was new series + after many years. It brought many newcomers to franchise so they could understand series without watching movies. DBS sequel will obviously be made for people who watched DBS before.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:39 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
If he will return then maybe.
But if they don't plan to bring him back there is no single reason to do another boring retelling.
Also, Garlic Jr appeared in DBZ without movie retelling. Not saying it's a good thing but you could understand everything without seeing Dead Zone before.
They could bring back Broly without retelling this movie. Digimon series reference movies in anime without retelling them. If you are interested in DBS sequel then you probably watched this movie anyway by the time series is released. If not, your problem. They could explain events of movie with a short retrospection or dialogue. Broly, especially this new one, is such simple character that there is nothing to talk about except for a fact that he once appeared and they fought but he turned out to be good person.

The same goes for Gogeta. Did GT care about mentioning Fusion Reborn which, unlike DBS: Broly, couldn't even fit into storyline? If they wanted to put Gogeta in new series they can just fuse without mentioning how Vegeta learned this technique. It's kinda your responsibility to know this movie.

BoG and RoF were different once again, because DBS was new series + after many years. It brought many newcomers to franchise so they could understand series without watching movies. DBS sequel will obviously be made for people who watched DBS before.
The Gogeta thing only matters if you know that the Fusion Dance is a thing, so it’s not going to matter if you watched Fusion Reborn or not when watching GT as long as you’re aware that technique exists which you should if you watched the original series.

Honestly, if you believe that a new likely recurring main character isn’t warrant a watch for a movie, then RoF shouldn’t warrant one either. As the only thing needed to know is that the Goku/Vegeta are even stronger (duh), and that Freeza got revived only to get killed again.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Helios518 wrote:
The Gogeta thing only matters if you know that the Fusion Dance is a thing, so it’s not going to matter if you watched Fusion Reborn or not when watching GT as long as you’re aware that technique exists which you should if you watched the original series.

Honestly, if you believe that a new likely recurring main character isn’t warrant a watch for a movie, then RoF shouldn’t warrant one either. As the only thing needed to know is that the Goku/Vegeta are even stronger (duh), and that Freeza got revived only to get killed again.
RoF introduced completely new form that would be used for entire series. The ame goes for Frieza and his golden form.
Also RoF was based on BoG, so you also need to know about god ki, SSJ God and Beerus.
It's much more to explain.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:57 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
Helios518 wrote:

RoF introduced completely new form that would be used for entire series. The ame goes for Frieza and his golden form.
Also RoF was based on BoG, so you also need to know about god ki, SSJ God and Beerus.
It's much more to explain.
Introduction of the form alone doesn’t warrant it. Anybody could explain and understand that SSB is just new form with more power. The same goes with Freeza. It’s harder to explain new character than it is a new form.

Rof being based on BoG doesn’t mean anything either about it’s own value either. It only means that BoG should be watched regardless of RoF’s existence. Besides every arc has some base from its previous arcs.

Spencer_23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Spencer_23 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 am

I wouldn’t mind tbh especially if it explored more of the backstory with Bardock & the saiyans