Viz launching $1.99/month manga subscription service, includes DB/Z/Super/Yamcha manga series + Full Color chapters.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Theophrastus
Regular

Viz launching $1.99/month manga subscription service, includes DB/Z/Super/Yamcha manga series + Full Color chapters.

Post by Theophrastus » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:21 am

Two announcement videos:
https://youtu.be/hL7p2fZjbu4 (A personal message from Hisashi Sasaki, former Editor-in-Chief of Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump)
https://youtu.be/wGGef2_1GMU (and a more generic one)

https://www.viz.com/sj-offer
https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

For anyone who can't see the above videos or access Viz's website, they are ending their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. In its place. starting from December 17th, they are expanding/overhauling the free chapter distribution that they had previously set up (and have been using to simultaneously publish Dragon Ball Super, among several other series). New chapters of all ongoing series will be released on Viz's website the same date they release in Japan, with the most recent 3 chapters being free for everyone to read. Alongside this Viz is launching a USD1.99/month subscription that will let subscribers read (in Mr. Sasaki's words) "a back catalog of nearly everything Shonen Jump has ever released [in English]" (the number they're going with is 10,000+ chapters). So while not explicitly confirmed yet, it seems pretty likely it'll include Dragon Ball.

Thoughts? I know a lot of people have...mixed feelings about Viz's translation of the series, but I feel like the implications of this are huge, as far as people becoming more informed about the original manga compared to the anime (and, well, for the manga industry in general, but Dragon Ball forum and all).
Last edited by Theophrastus on Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Viz to launch $1.99/month manga subscription service later this month, likely to include Dragon Ball.

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:55 pm

Theophrastus wrote:Two announcement videos:
https://youtu.be/hL7p2fZjbu4 (A personal message from Hisashi Sasaki, former Editor-in-Chief of Japanese Weekly Shonen Jump)
https://youtu.be/wGGef2_1GMU (and a more generic one)

https://www.viz.com/sj-offer
https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

For anyone who can't see the above videos or access Viz's website, they are ending their digital Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. In its place. starting from December 17th, they are expanding/overhauling the free chapter distribution that they had previously set up (and have been using to simultaneously publish Dragon Ball Super, among several other series). New chapters of all ongoing series will be released on Viz's website the same date they release in Japan, with the most recent 3 chapters being free for everyone to read. Alongside this Viz is launching a USD1.99/month subscription that will let subscribers read (in Mr. Sasaki's words) "a back catalog of nearly everything Shonen Jump has ever released [in English]" (the number they're going with is 10,000+ chapters). So while not explicitly confirmed yet, it seems pretty likely it'll include Dragon Ball.

Thoughts? I know a lot of people have...mixed feelings about Viz's translation of the series, but I feel like the implications of this are huge, as far as people becoming more informed about the original manga compared to the anime (and, well, for the manga industry in general, but Dragon Ball forum and all).
Viz digital talking is awesome and fast , printed versions can’t tell the same .
But this is good news and I hope it will help the industry, next move should be release before the pirates, it doesn’t happen in dragon ball , but it happens in other bigger series
Well done viz
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Viz to launch $1.99/month manga subscription service later this month, likely to include Dragon Ball.

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:27 am

Manga is goddamn expensive.

A subscription service like this will be a godsend if done right. And by the looks of things, this will be. $2 for a month in which I could read any and every chapter of Dragon Ball, One Piece, etc.? Sign me the hell up!! :thumbup:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm

prince212 wrote:Viz digital talking is awesome and fast , printed versions can’t tell the same .
But this is good news and I hope it will help the industry, next move should be release before the pirates, it doesn’t happen in dragon ball , but it happens in other bigger series
Well done viz
I've honestly read this comment thrice now and it's still hard to tell what this dude's trying to say, although this much is clear:
prince212 wrote:this is good news and I hope it will help the industry
This below made me guess what he meant to say.
prince212 wrote:next move should be release before the pirates
Suppose he was trying to go for: Viz can finally release new content before people share it illegally on Torrent/DL communities.
prince212 wrote:printed versions can’t tell the same
Did you mean: printed versions take longer to arrive and thus, it doesn't quite compare with the digital.
Prince212 wrote:Well done viz
Well said, Prince! :)

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:26 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
prince212 wrote:Viz digital talking is awesome and fast , printed versions can’t tell the same .
Well done viz
I've honestly read this comment thrice now and it's still hard to tell what this dude's trying to say, although this much is clear:
prince212 wrote:this is good news and I hope it will help the industry
This below made me guess what he meant to say.
prince212 wrote:next move should be release before the pirates
Suppose he was trying to go for: Viz can finally release new content before people share it illegally on Torrent/DL communities.
prince212 wrote:printed versions can’t tell the same
Did you mean: printed versions take longer to arrive and thus, it doesn't quite compare with the digital.
Prince212 wrote:Well done viz
Well said, Prince! :)
Hahahahah well decrypted, you got it :thumbup: .
Yes,viz printed versions take forever , over a year later than Japanese release , while the digital works fast almost simultaneously, and my full joy will be to read them without being spoiled 2-3 days before , it’s up to me but the tentation is big , I’ll try this month though.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:27 am

prince212 wrote:my full joy will be to read them without being spoiled 2-3 days before , it’s up to me but the tentation is big , I’ll try this month though.
I get that but personally, I hate buying stuff digitally because I'd never get to really own unless I'd get to acquire the actual files of it which happens on iTunes, Xbox 360, Play Store, Amazon, Bandcamp and other services.

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Viz launching $1.99/month manga subscription service, includes DB/Z/Super/Yamcha manga series + Full Color chapters.

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Well, the subscription hasn't quite gone live yet, but you can see placeholders for all the stuff that's in "The Vault" (actually clicking anything goes to a 500 Error page).
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

We can see that the subscription includes Viz's release of the black-and-white DB (and "Z") manga, Dragon Ball Super, the Yamcha Reincarnation manga, and the Full Color Saiyan and Freeza Arc chapters that Viz has released so far.

Edit: Seems to be up now, though the servers are kind of getting hammered it seems like:

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Viz launching $1.99/month manga subscription service, includes DB/Z/Super/Yamcha manga series + Full Color chapters.

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 pm

I can’t open them :crazy:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 pm

prince212 wrote:I can’t open them :crazy:
Pretty sure the servers are just getting hit hard.

Worth a note, I checked to see if there was any censorship, and I got through to check the infamous Invisible Man fight...it's definitely not uncensored.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:36 pm

Is there any way us European people can subscribe?

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Jaetinh wrote:Is there any way us European people can subscribe?
Viz's supported regions are the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Philippines, Singapore, and India.

So if you live in the UK or Ireland, you should be able to just do so from Viz's website. For continental Europe, I assume they can't offer anything since it would make local distributors extremely unhappy if they tried.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:18 am

Looking at the first chapter of DB, Bulma calls the radar a "Ball detector". I think this points to this digital version using the masters of the earliest print run, just like the Amazon ebooks use. IIRC this early print run is the least-censored printings of the manga aside from a couple of the "3-in-1" books, which IIRC had one or two instances of being slightly less censored.

Oh, also, the Yamcha manga is free.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:53 pm

Shonnen jump app works way better on iOS than viz app, but still not that smoothly like before this whole unlock.
Getting there , good stuff for a db fan