"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Shaddy wrote:but most of the chapter is dedicated to how super-strong he is and how amazed Vegeta is at his power even though woah he was still holding back and bluh.
You've missed the point. He's not super strong. There is, however, some unknown trick to him we don't understand yet. He's fast, ultra competent, and couldn't be sensed by Vegeta. He's not strong enough to take down Moro; he can't even use ki or fly. If you don't like mysterious characters...fair enough, but this clearly isn't about just holding back strength.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Toyotaro still can't resist copying Toriyama's drawings from the original manga:
This is a bad thing?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 pm

batistabus wrote:
Shaddy wrote:but most of the chapter is dedicated to how super-strong he is and how amazed Vegeta is at his power even though woah he was still holding back and bluh.
You've missed the point. He's not super strong. There is, however, some unknown trick to him we don't understand yet. He's fast, ultra competent, and couldn't be sensed by Vegeta. He's not strong enough to take down Moro; he can't even use ki or fly. If you don't like mysterious characters...fair enough, but this clearly isn't about just holding back strength.
Looks like Teleportation to close distances.. Somehow vegeta thinks there’s something fishy there , really intriguing technique . The way Merus barely dodge the bullet kinda shows he’s not mega fast , there’s something else .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:25 pm

Doctor. wrote:Could you elaborate?
I could, but I don't feel like getting into it. These are old posts that surmise how I feel about the issue. They're 11 months old, but they hold up.

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with how the manga handled him vs how the anime did. Moments that stand out:

1. Frieza being portrayed as a villain when he was torturing the Universe 6 saiyans.

2. Frieza offering up Krillin and Tenshinhan to ruse Frost, before quickly disposing of him.

3. Frieza's combination with Goku at the end isn't portrayed as them broing out like the anime did, but instead it's Frieza attacking from behind like he always does, and then Goku takes one for the team.

So the manga's version of Frieza still feels like a bad guy, and judging by the story of Broly, the manga's Frieza fits better than what the anime did.
Last edited by TKA on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Now we just need Beerus to go back to sleep so we dont have to worry about any intervention by them and we can have better tension!

You can't be serious.
TKA wrote:1. Frieza being portrayed as a villain when he was torturing the Universe 6 saiyans.

2. Frieza offering up Krillin and Tenshinhan to ruse Frost, before quickly disposing of him.

3. Frieza's combination with Goku at the end isn't portrayed as them broing out like the anime died, but instead it's Frieza attacking from behind like he always does, and then Goku takes one for the team.

So the manga's version of Frieza still feels like a bad guy, and judging by the story of Broly, the manga's Frieza fits better than what the anime did.
1. The SAME thing happens in the anime. Who do youo think eliminated Cabba in the anime?

2.How is that any different than Freeza offering to beat Gohan and then eliminating Frost?

3. There's really no tangible difference in the two scenes. Goku and Freeza slam Jiren out of the ring together in both versions, and there was no "broing out" going on in the anime version between Goku and Freeza.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 pm

PFM18 wrote:Now we just need Beerus to go back to sleep so we dont have to worry about any intervention by them and we can have better tension!

You can't be serious.
TKA wrote:1. Frieza being portrayed as a villain when he was torturing the Universe 6 saiyans.

3. Frieza's combination with Goku at the end isn't portrayed as them broing out like the anime died, but instead it's Frieza attacking from behind like he always does, and then Goku takes one for the team.

1. The SAME thing happens in the anime. Who do youo think eliminated Cabba in the anime?

2.How is that any different than Freeza offering to beat Gohan and then eliminating Frost?

3. There's really no tangible difference in the two scenes. Goku and Freeza slam Jiren out of the ring together in both versions, and there was no "broing out" going on in the anime version between Goku and Freeza.
In regards to your second and third points.

2. Frieza actually sacrificed his team members instead of just saying he will. This is much more impactful and it makes Frieza seem cunning rather than seeming like a walking empty threat.

3. You can like episode 131, but you have to admit it made no sense. A few episodes prior it was shown that Goku and Vegeta have atrocious teamwork, yet we are supposed to believe that he can fight perfectly in unison with Frieza?
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:45 pm

TKA wrote:
I could, but I don't feel like getting into it. These are old posts that surmise how I feel about the issue. They're 11 months old, but they hold up.

Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with how the manga handled him vs how the anime did. Moments that stand out:

1. Frieza being portrayed as a villain when he was torturing the Universe 6 saiyans.

Yeap , just to add another key point freeza didn’t smoke the peace pipe with goku by giving him energie at some point.
In the anime I was scared that freeza will become a groupie of Kakarrot n company.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 pm

In regards to the chapter...

I'm willing to see where this goes. This first chapter does nothing for me. Less exposition-heavy though.

In regards to Frieza...

I wonder if Toyotaro, by some impossible miracle, somehow caught wind of my post. His Frieza did exactly what I said I hoped he would: not be there to fight. Not being involved in fights for cool moments. Blindsiding opponents. Getting his shit kicked in by more powerful characters. Not being portrayed as cool.

Amusing.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:19 pm

prince212 wrote:
TKA wrote:

Yeap , just to add another key point freeza didn’t smoke the peace pipe with goku by giving him energie at some point.
In the anime I was scared that freeza will become a groupie of Kakarrot n company.

Yes agree the anime definitely played up the look how cool it is to see Goku fight with Freeza angle. While Freeza may not be good he never came off as a credible threat and the whole oh I am going to betray my team came off as complete nonsense after the first time he did it with Frost & Gohan. If they played up more of a moral condundrum of fighting with Freeza then that may have been an interesting angle but instead it only seemed Freeza came back to have Goku fight with him in the final episode (to show Goku suggesting Freeza was right) and then to revive him because he’s too popular to stay dead.

So yes the manga ending worked much better for me. Like I’ve mentioned before I can buy pragmatic 17 working with Freeza because he has no negative history with him. And I also didn’t mind the quick way Freeza just knocked off Goku instead of the team up between them in the anime.

After the anime a lot of ppl thought Freeza was going to be redeemed or at least an anti hero now. In fact ppl still think this so he’s still evil doesn’t really work when fans actually interpret the moment of his team up with Goku as proof that he moved onto being an anti-hero and not a clear cut villain.
Last edited by Kinokima on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:Now we just need Beerus to go back to sleep so we dont have to worry about any intervention by them and we can have better tension!

You can't be serious.

2. Frieza actually sacrificed his team members instead of just saying he will. This is much more impactful and it makes Frieza seem cunning rather than seeming like a walking empty threat.

3. You can like episode 131, but you have to admit it made no sense. A few episodes prior it was shown that Goku and Vegeta have atrocious teamwork, yet we are supposed to believe that he can fight perfectly in unison with Frieza?
2. Didn't he just offer to eliminate them? I don't remember how exactly it played out but I was under the impression that he didn't actually eliminate Krillin and Tenshinhan.

3. There was no mention of Freeza and Goku having perfect team-work, either. Vegeta and Goku were stated to not have very good teamwork, but as fasr as we could visually tell it looked fine, there wasn't any distinctively better teamwork with Freeza and Goku. It's simply not portrayed the way that you are claiming it is.
prince212 wrote:Yeap , just to add another key point freeza didn’t smoke the peace pipe with goku by giving him energie at some point.
That was a great moment. The roles were reversed in a scene where Freeza is being strategic and doing whatever it takes to win. It was a prevailing them that he wanted Goku to be his lackey and do all the dirty work fighting Jiren and generally doing all of the work. Not only is Freeza lazy and doesn't want to get those sort of things done,(perfectly in line with his character) but he was smart enough to know where he stands and know to avoid Jiren knowing that he was outmatched. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, the manga loses points for not having that scene in it.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 pm

batistabus wrote: You've missed the point. He's not super strong. There is, however, some unknown trick to him we don't understand yet. He's fast, ultra competent, and couldn't be sensed by Vegeta. He's not strong enough to take down Moro; he can't even use ki or fly. If you don't like mysterious characters...fair enough, but this clearly isn't about just holding back strength.
Thanks for the condescending "well you just hate good stories if you don't like this" remark, but this isn't my first day in the fandom, nor is it yours. Whatever the explanation they give to this guy or Moro, it's not gonna matter. There's almost assuredly going to be something that can somehow make whatever powers they have irrelevant, or the story itself will stop caring and Goku will beat Moro by being really strong. I don't find it likely at all that Dragon Ball will move away from anything other than "Goku has the most winning-juice so that means he wins after the plot and characters are all wrapped up". Moreover, as much as I want the series to move away from the current fighting formula (or even physical combat in general, potentially), I don't trust Toyotaro at all to be the one to bring about that change, and with how generally unambitious most of his work is, I don't think he's going to be the one to do it anyway.

Also, you've missed my point. It has nothing to do with there not being much sense behind his supposed power, it's that Merus isn't personable, attractive or even very original, and Toyotaro dedicates a large amount of this chapter to telling us that no guys he's strong and Vegeta can't figure out why so that means you all like him please, instead of just making him likeable. He's boring and ugly, having some mystery behind his strength doesn't fix that, same as Jiren.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:04 pm

What I liked:

"The GOAT" is an antagonist I haven't been this excited for since Goku Black. I'm impressed by how instantly the chapter works to establish Moro as a terrifying otherworldly threat from just its first few pages, and I like how the story in general makes an effort to do interesting things with these characters by not conforming to traditional strength wank. That would have been stale after Jiren's brick wall theme in the previous arc.

Also, a baphomet/moloch-inspired villain is unashamedly cool.

What I didn't like:

The train heist scene is bad filler. Don't @ me, it doesn't "set up" shit. It's disappointingly dull, does nothing to advance the story, doesn't reveal anything about Merus (if anything, it's entirely content with teasing the same mystery already conveyed in last month's chapter) and really overstays its welcome, to be honest. Goku and Jaco both have a few genuinely funny, great moments here, but this kind of off-story padding in general is exactly what I frequently loathed about the anime. Couldn't care less about it.

Overall:

Half of the chapter bored me to tears. I'm still confident that the arc will pick up soon, though: I'm super invested in its premise, but I hope it doesn't take its time marching to the main beats.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:

You can't be serious.

2. Didn't he just offer to eliminate them? I don't remember how exactly it played out but I was under the impression that he didn't actually eliminate Krillin and Tenshinhan.

3. There was no mention of Freeza and Goku having perfect team-work, either. Vegeta and Goku were stated to not have very good teamwork, but as fasr as we could visually tell it looked fine, there wasn't any distinctively better teamwork with Freeza and Goku. It's simply not portrayed the way that you are claiming it is.
prince212 wrote:Yeap , just to add another key point freeza didn’t smoke the peace pipe with goku by giving him energie at some point.
That was a great moment. The roles were reversed in a scene where Freeza is being strategic and doing whatever it takes to win. It was a prevailing them that he wanted Goku to be his lackey and do all the dirty work fighting Jiren and generally doing all of the work. Not only is Freeza lazy and doesn't want to get those sort of things done,(perfectly in line with his character) but he was smart enough to know where he stands and know to avoid Jiren knowing that he was outmatched. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, the manga loses points for not having that scene in it.
2. Frieza tells Frost that Roshi, Tien, and Krillin are extremely weak and suggests that he should eliminate them. He then stands by and watches as Frost eliminates his own teammates. In the Anime, Frieza doesn't actually ever do anything to his teammates, and his plot to trick Frost is pretty stupid because he could defeat Frost easily with his Golden form.

3. Goku and Frieza are exactly side by side, they attack at exactly the same time, and they even react at the same time. If this is supposed to be bad or even average teamwork, then the animators did a horrible job conveying that.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 pm

Shaddy wrote:Thanks for the condescending

There's almost assuredly going to be something that can somehow make whatever powers they have irrelevant, or the story itself will stop caring and Goku will beat Moro by being really strong. I don't find it likely at all that Dragon Ball will move away from anything other than "Goku has the most winning-juice so that means he wins after the plot and characters are all wrapped up". Moreover, as much as I want the series to move away from the current fighting formula (or even physical combat in general, potentially), I don't trust Toyotaro at all to be the one to bring about that change, and with how generally unambitious most of his work is, I don't think he's going to be the one to do it anyway.

Also, you've missed my point. It has nothing to do with there not being much sense behind his supposed power, it's that Merus isn't personable, attractive or even very original, and Toyotaro dedicates a large amount of this chapter to telling us that no guys he's strong and Vegeta can't figure out why so that means you all like him please, instead of just making him likeable. He's boring and ugly, having some mystery behind his strength doesn't fix that, same as Jiren.
I meant no condescension. I know this is the internet, but there's no need to be so hostile or defensive. I think you are missing the point, but that doesn't mean I think you're an idiot. Merus' biggest appeal right now is the mystery behind his ability, but if the idea of something like that doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. It doesn't mean it's a flaw with the manga, but I can't argue with you about your personal tastes.

That's a very cynical outlook. As an action manga, Dragon Ball will always have fighting, but brute strength isn't always the way conflicts are ultimately resolved. You may have disliked the way Toyotaro handled other aspects of Super, but this is his first time being so heavily involved in the outline. Skepticism is fine, sure, but you weren't merely expressing that. You were criticizing something specific, and you were doing it inaccurately.

You don't have to like his design. He doesn't have to be your favorite character after 1.5 chapters. That's fine, but you're jumping to conclusions. How many people complained about Merus "catching Vegeta off-guard" last month as if it was another stupid retread? In this chapter, it's specifically stated that Vegeta wasn't caught off-guard, and that he was unable to sense Merus' presence. I just think it's a mistake to criticize something so harshly when we barely have any of the details.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-Chapter 43-

This is actually turning out to be interesting.

Moro doesn't only have a more unique design than most characters Toriyama draws nowadays, but he seems also to have a interesting moveset. Props to Toyotaro!
That last page was fire.

I have no doubt at this point that Toei/Toyotaro should decide what the next story arcs should be from now on and ask Toriyama to help them out, instead of let Toriyama decide for himself. Enough of Tournaments. Enough of reviving old villains. I want new things. This is the way to go.
It was Dragon Room's idea to bring Broly back. Toriyama just agreed to it. The only villain Toriyama brought back was Freeza.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:14 pm

PFM18 wrote:
By smoking the peace pipe I meant this :
The moment and strategy you explained is ok , acceptable, but that friendly line by freeza was unnecessary I.m.o

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 pm

prince212 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
By smoking the peace pipe I meant this :
The moment and strategy you explained is ok , acceptable, but that friendly line by freeza was unnecessary I.m.o
It wasn't really a friendly line. It's just Freeza despised owing Goku anything to the point that Goku's mercy is a giant berserk button for him. So him ridding himself that 'burden' is all selfish. Look how he reacted in the anime just being reminded of Goku's mercy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmboNn64iCk

So the line comes off as more mocking if you see the context behind it.

Also, why are we still comparing the anime to the manga? God lord, I thought with the manga doing its own thing the anime vs manga can go away for awhile.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 pm

batistabus wrote:
You don't have to like his design. He doesn't have to be your favorite character after 1.5 chapters. That's fine, but you're jumping to conclusions. How many people complained about Merus "catching Vegeta off-guard" last month as if it was another stupid retread? In this chapter, it's specifically stated that Vegeta wasn't caught off-guard, and that he was unable to sense Merus' presence. I just think it's a mistake to criticize something so harshly when we barely have any of the details.
Oh yeah... there were a LOT of complaints online about Merus catching Vegeta off-guard because Vegeta is supposed to be this perfect warrior with god-tier reflexes and astronomical power levels and previous top-tier feats.

A perfect Vegeta and Goku who are supposed to operate as if they were in battledome or vs. threads or powerscaling fan discussions.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 pm

PFM18 wrote:Okay, so do we know why exactly he was able to escape? Nothing really changed recently that would trigger it right? And if Dai Kaioshin already used most of his god power to seal away his magic abilities, how would he be useful now? Did Moro get his powers back somehow and Dai Kaioshin would seal it away again? How could Dai Kaioshin even do it again if he already used up most of his God power?

I'm a bit confused and was hoping somebody could clarify things.
Well, Merus is only deducing that Moro got his magic back, and he doesn't even try to guess how if that's the case, and Dai Kaioshin used up most of his power 10 millions years before, doesn't mean he couldn't get it back afterwards, so basicaly he went in blind to try to find a way to have Moro imprisoned again, but in a way that makes sense and isn't too risky.
AnimeNation101 wrote:What if he doesn’t seal if off but absorbes it instead? We see that he can at least take genki by force. What if he can do the same with God ki. Maybe in his 10,000,000 years of prison, he’s learned from getting his magic sealed by God ki and overtime understood God ki, how it works, and maybe how to absorb it.
That could be a cool way to explain it.
Since only 28 planets have life, i hope Moro moves to another universe to absorb its energy which will allow for more exploration.
Yoo, that'd be nice, though hopefuly he doesn't go to universe 11 if that happens, think it's a bit too soon for Jiren to show up again.
shadd21 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Toyotaro still can't resist copying Toriyama's drawings from the original manga:
This is a bad thing?
It's lazy that he decides to trace Toriyama instead of doing his own stuff.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:23 am

That is in no way a trace.