Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Box Office Thread

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:03 am

FrostByte wrote:So how much money do you guys think the movie will make in U.S alone?
Res'F' did 8.4 million. I'd say 9 million would be a good guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it punches upwards to 10 million.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:12 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/borreport?lang=en

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $3.7M in Japan this weekend. Total gross in Japan stands at $16.5M."

So about what was expected. Putting that into Google then it made ¥410 million for the weekend. In total it's made ¥1.832 billion.

Actuals might go up again like last week but it might also go down but if it stays the same then that's pretty much exactly where Resurrection F was after its second weekend.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:25 pm

PFM18 wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/borreport?lang=en

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly grossed an estimated $3.7M in Japan this weekend. Total gross in Japan stands at $16.5M."

So about what was expected. Putting that into Google then it made ¥410 million for the weekend. In total it's made ¥1.832 billion.

Actuals might go up again like last week but it might also go down but if it stays the same then that's pretty much exactly where Resurrection F was after its second weekend.
As with last week the actuals will likely be higher.
Doctor. wrote:
FrostByte wrote:So how much money do you guys think the movie will make in U.S alone?
Res'F' did 8.4 million. I'd say 9 million would be a good guess, but wouldn't be surprised if it punches upwards to 10 million.
DB is a lot bigger right now than when F came out and the movie is getting a wider release.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:34 pm

Looks like despite it being a Monday the movie is going to do even greater business than Saturday. Its very early but right now it's not far behind where Sunday was.

So it could well pass ¥2 billion today, it's 12th day the same as Resurrection F. Battle of Gods took 23 days to do it.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 am

2 Day Weekend Estimates

¥414,000,000 ($3.7 million), -49%, ¥1,825,000,000 ($16.3 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly WK2

3 Day Weekend Estimates

¥591,000,000 ($5.3 million), -27%, ¥2,000,000,000 ($17.9 million), Dragon Ball Super: Broly WK2

"Dragon Ball Super: Broly fell a little higher than expected going into the weekend, but it still held slightly better than its predecessor. A total around ¥3.5 billion ($30 million) is still the likely target, but let's see if the upcoming New Year boost can give it enough of a boost to outgross Resurrection's F's ¥3.74 billion to become the highest grossing film in the franchise."

So far then it actually is expected to do worse than Resurrection F. Doesn't look like it's coming close to that ¥5 billion figure anyway. Might not do the ¥4 billion even.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:01 am

PFM18 wrote:
So far then it actually is expected to do worse than Resurrection F. Doesn't look like it's coming close to that ¥5 billion figure anyway. Might not do the ¥4 billion even.
When's the deadline for the ¥5 billion figure? And why is it expected to do worse than F when it's been doing slightly better up until now?

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Once the holiday period is over that is after 8th Jan, movies fall of a cliff and frontloaded franchises like Dragon Ball even more so than others. Mid/late Jan and pretty much most of Feb are dull periods at the box office.

So, if Broli has any chance of beating F's cumulative total, it is if it gets a boost during the New Year holidays. But, it still won't beat it my much even if it does get a big boost. At best, it will reach ¥4bn, but that's the limit. ¥5bn was always an impossibility for a narrow appealing franchise like Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:52 pm

How embarrassing, they never should have made that 5 billion claim.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Well from what I can gather, if that ¥2 billion estimate does come to pass them it will have taken 11 days to reach that amount.

It took Resurrection F 12 days to make ¥2 billion. So Broly ideally should be a bit infront, not by much though.

So it would seem like it ultimately being predicted to do less in the end, comes from the expectation that Broly is not going to be able to take advantage of the Xmas and New Year Holidays as much as Resurrection F was able to take advantage of Golden Week.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Once the holiday period is over that is after 8th Jan, movies fall of a cliff and frontloaded franchises like Dragon Ball even more so than others. Mid/late Jan and pretty much most of Feb are dull periods at the box office.

So, if Broli has any chance of beating F's cumulative total, it is if it gets a boost during the New Year holidays. But, it still won't beat it my much even if it does get a big boost. At best, it will reach ¥4bn, but that's the limit. ¥5bn was always an impossibility for a narrow appealing franchise like Dragon Ball.
I still have a hard time seeing the Dragon Ball franchise that way. I mean, it's one of Japan's most famous media properties.

Also, from what I understood, even the two previous films failed to meet their expected target.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:07 pm

Michsi wrote:I still have a hard time seeing the Dragon Ball franchise that way. I mean, it's one of Japan's most famous media properties.

Also, from what I understood, even the two previous films failed to meet their expected target.
Nowhere did I say DB isn't big. It is. It is a big shonen property. It has a well established fanbase, but its a set one. It is not growing substantially in Japan. I mean if it really was appealing to broad audiences, it would have reflected at the box office, but it is not. BoG and F also behaved the same.

And, yeah both of the previous films failed too. I wouldn't give too much attention to Toei's goal. They over project too attract media attention and generate hype. It is a common thing with JP films.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Michsi wrote:I still have a hard time seeing the Dragon Ball franchise that way. I mean, it's one of Japan's most famous media properties.

Nowhere did I say DB isn't big. It is. It is a big shonen property. It has a well established fanbase, but its a set one. It is not growing substantially in Japan. I mean if it really was appealing to broad audiences, it would have reflected at the box office, but it is not. BoG and F also behaved the same.
I suppose this would be something like Disney type movies or family movies. In that case, yeah, DB isn't for a broad audience. Though I recall Super's episodes, while not having the biggest ratings when they aired, had really good DVR ratings. Meaning almost everyone watched them, even if not at the exact time.
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:And, yeah both of the previous films failed too. I wouldn't give too much attention to Toei's goal. They over project too attract media attention and generate hype. It is a common thing with JP films.
That I can believe.

Yasai11
Banned

Post by Yasai11 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Michsi wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
When's the deadline for the ¥5 billion figure? And why is it expected to do worse than F when it's been doing slightly better up until now?
I dunno, some people underestimated Broly's appeal to mainstream audiences. The new animation friendly designs combined with someone other than Yamamuro animating Dragonball for a change breathed some fresh air into the stale franchise. The movie also allowed fans to have their cake and eat it too: Broly is still the big dumb brute everyone loves, but has the added bonus of living, developing a social circle, and be free of Paragus's manipulations.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Yasai11 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I dunno, some people underestimated Broly's appeal to mainstream audiences. The new animation friendly designs combined with someone other than Yamamuro animating Dragonball for a change breathed some fresh air into the stale franchise. The movie also allowed fans to have their cake and eat it too: Broly is still the big dumb brute everyone loves, but has the added bonus of living, developing a social circle, and be free of Paragus's manipulations.
Do you mean overestimated?

I think it was expected by everyone that this was going to be the most successful Dragon Ball movie of them all in Japan, probably by a good margin too.

That it's possibly going to do worse despite all the extra budget, marketing and everything we've had the last three years then that's gotta be seen as disappointing.

The TV rating and the Manga sales had been declining towards the end so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:42 am

Passed 2 billion yen in 11 days, still the fastest selling DB movie yet. Stop underestimating this movie's performance.
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 1533257728
PFM18 wrote: Do you mean overestimated?

I think it was expected by everyone that this was going to be the most successful Dragon Ball movie of them all in Japan, probably by a good margin too.

That it's possibly going to do worse despite all the extra budget, marketing and everything we've had the last three years then that's gotta be seen as disappointing.

The TV rating and the Manga sales had been declining towards the end so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I've not seen any evidence that manga sales were down. The TV ratings for both DB and OP had their baseline lowered near the end of Super because Kamen Rider and Sentai where put in the same timeslot.
The movie is still beating F and all the estimates so far have been under the actuals. The movie is probably going to do better than F.
Last edited by ArchedThunder on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:45 am

Actuals are out.

11 day total - 2,037,811,000(¥2.03 billion)
11 day admissions - 1,576,183(1.57 million)

Monday being a holiday helped it a bit.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:59 am

Its not underestimating it because it really is a good amount of money. Yes it has beaten Resurrection F to ¥2 billion but can it stay ahead?

It took Resurrection F 18 days to make ¥3 billion so again Broly needs to beat that number.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:59 am

Broly might temporarily fall behind F for a bit because weekend 3 for F was Golden Week.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:23 am

For the weekend it made ¥420 million from 321,000 tickets.

That's a 48.3% drop. Average ticket price was ¥1,308 then this weekend which is up from $1,272 so probably more adults saw it this time.
ArchedThunder wrote:Broly might temporarily fall behind F for a bit because weekend 3 for F was Golden Week.
It probably will because Golden Week went from Resurrection F's 12th day to its 19th day. Where the New Years Holiday for Broly starts from its 19th day to its 26th day.

So it's going to depend how far it falls behind and then how much it can catch up afterward.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:56 am

I'm crazy if i'm saying that dbs Broly will make over 30 mio in South America??? i know ROF has made there + 12 Mio but i believe Dragonball can

make more there because of the huge fanbase