Does the Nathan Johnson score get unfairly overlooked?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Does the Nathan Johnson score get unfairly overlooked?

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 pm

As far as FUNimation dub scores go, people seem to be the most indifferent towards Nathan Johnson’s score. His music doesn’t have a passionate following like the Faulconer and Levy/Wasserman scores do, but it also doesn’t seem to get brought up very often as something that people particularly hate (as far as replacement scores go). Is that just a testament to how forgettable people think his music is?

Honestly, from a purely technical standpoint, the Nathan Johnson score is probably the most “cinematic” of the dub scores, and if I recall, there actually were some very brief moments where the music wasn’t playing. Also, I would say that the ending theme he composed was pretty catchy. What exactly do you guys think?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Does the Nathan Johnson score get unfairly overlooked?

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm

It's very well-produced, but it's honestly a bit of a bland score, and it kind of replaced the highly-memorable Wasserman score for that era, which is a big shame, and it's the noise the Faulconer fans have to get to before that score starts in Z, and it's not the god-awful unfitting nonsense of the Menza score... It's just okay... Mostly just flies under the radar.

Though, minor pet peeve -- you say the "Levy/Wasserman [score]"; Shuki Levy contributed nothing to the Saban dub's score, it was entirely Ron Wasserman, it was simply credited to Levy -- as I understand it -- as a part of Saban's deal with the independent contractors they had on board at the time that it would all be attributed to the in-house musician Levy so as to keep things going through Saban, hopefully avoiding the possibility of other companies going to the contractors directly. This effect was a total success in Dragon Ball, where Funimation didn't bother attempting to get Wasserman back.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 pm

It was okay but like everyone says just not that memorable, although there are a few tracks that stick in my mind as good and get brought up by fans from time to time;

Gogeta's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQAfdeffrvM

Vegeta vs (Beast) Zarbon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaANU4km_cs

Recap theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwtoTijrHA

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Only theme I like from his score was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVtbaPyoB8

The Zarbon x Vegeta theme, but some alternate version.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:56 am

Where is his score from? Z? GT? I thought Mark Menza did GT...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:47 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Where is his score from? Z? GT? I thought Mark Menza did GT...
First 67 episodes of Funimation's Remastered dub for Z, and DBZ Movies 2, 3, 10, 12, & 13.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:49 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Where is his score from? Z? GT? I thought Mark Menza did GT...
Menza did do GT and movies 6, 7, 8, 9, and 11 but Nathan Jonson did Episodes 1-67 of the Z redub and movies 2, 3, 10, 12 and 13.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, his score is unfairly overlooked, I really like the work he did for the DBZ movies that they did
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:45 am

I prefer it to the Faulconer score to be honest.

It never does anything as badass as Ginyu transforms or Super Buu’s theme but its just overall more listenable instead of a lot of garbage with some good ones

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:03 pm

It’s also worth noting that less than half his episodes were released on home video before Funi finally gave us the option to watch the dub with the original Japanese music. I’ve seen all of the Faulconer and Menza episodes because that’s the only way the dub was available back then. I’ve still not seen most of Johnson’s work to this day.