Dragon Ball Chōgashū - What's missing?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DNA
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Chōgashū - What's missing?

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:19 am

So this book is the closest to a perfect collection of Dragon Ball related artwork draw by Toriyama, but I've noticed it's missing everything related to "Yo! Goku and Friends Return" for example. Not to mention all of the sketches he drew for movie characters. Any other omissions?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Chōgashū - What's missing?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:10 pm

DNA wrote:So this book is the closest to a perfect collection of Dragon Ball related artwork draw by Toriyama, but I've noticed it's missing everything related to "Yo! Goku and Friends Return" for example. Not to mention all of the sketches he drew for movie characters. Any other omissions?
There's nothing missing from the JSAT special. As far as we know, he wasn't involved or contributed with any designs.

Missing is everything he made post-Battle of Gods. So no Resurrection 'F', no Super, no Broly. No Dragon Ball Online either.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:21 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
DNA wrote:So this book is the closest to a perfect collection of Dragon Ball related artwork draw by Toriyama, but I've noticed it's missing everything related to "Yo! Goku and Friends Return" for example. Not to mention all of the sketches he drew for movie characters. Any other omissions?
There's nothing missing from the JSAT special. As far as we know, he wasn't involved or contributed with any designs.

Missing is everything he made post-Battle of Gods. So no Resurrection 'F', no Super, no Broly. No Dragon Ball Online either.
He didn't? Didn't he write it?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 pm

DNA wrote:He didn't? Didn't he write it?
He conceived the (first) draft of the story. He didn't make nor was ever credited for any designs.

EDIT: Actually, Dragon Ball Online might not be missing at all. IIRC, he only had a supervising role on the designs made for the game. So it makes sense that nothing from it is included in the book.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:05 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
DNA wrote:He didn't? Didn't he write it?
He conceived the (first) draft of the story. He didn't make nor was never credited for any designs.

EDIT: Actually, Dragon Ball Online might not be missing at all. IIRC, he only had a supervising role on the designs made for the game. So it makes sense that nothing from it is included in the book.
Oh, interesting. So realistically, only his designs for movie and game characters are missing. I know he designed Kurilien, and supposedly Ozotto too.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm

DNA wrote:Oh, interesting. So realistically, only his designs for movie and game characters are missing. I know he designed Kurilien, and supposedly Ozotto too.
Everything made since 2013 (when the book was released) is missing. Everything else seems to be included, his designs for Episode of Bardock and Battle of Gods (along with some generic art) being the very latest works.

Not sure about the absence of Kurilien. Maybe it was just a sketch and thus was not included?

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
DNA wrote:Oh, interesting. So realistically, only his designs for movie and game characters are missing. I know he designed Kurilien, and supposedly Ozotto too.
Everything made since 2013 (when the book was released) is missing. Everything else seems to be included, his designs for Episode of Bardock and Battle of Gods (along with some generic art) being the very latest works.

Not sure about the absence of Kurilien. Maybe it was just a sketch and thus was not included?
I know that everything after is missing, I've been specifically asking about old stuff. And you're right, it seems anything missing is just sketches.