Why are Hybrid Saiyans stronger than Pure Saiyans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Why are Hybrid Saiyans stronger than Pure Saiyans?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:01 am

Early on Dragon Ball Z, Vegeta explained that Hybrid Saiyans have "mighty power" which clarifies as to why Gohan, Goten and Trunks were able to turn Super Saiyan without any hassle whatsoever. However, should not Pure Saiyans be the superior Saiyans since they had pure blood than mixed blood with another race (Humans in this case)?

To be fair, Hybrid Saiyans are somewhat stronger but can't necessarily get stronger like Pure Saiyans.. or something like it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why are Hybrid Saiyans stronger than Pure Saiyans?

Post by KBABZ » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:24 am

I personally figured the more emotion-driven nature of humans drove them harder when training, which certainly helped Gohan a couple of time. I think there was also an element of "they just so happen to be exceptionally gifted" at play as well.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:17 pm

There's an element of human potential that is seen in the series but never really elaborated on.

I mean, all Saiyans in the series seem to have a basis of ki-control. Flying, shooting energy blasts etc. On the other hand, 99.999% of humans don't even seem to realize it exists and only a small handful really master it. But the ones who do train in ki-control seem to have pretty tremendous growth. They might have been a step behind or two behind Goku but it didn't really become ridiculous until Super Saiyan was introduced. I would love to see something the series that allowed Kuririn, Ten, Yamcha et al to catch up and become relevant in conflicts again but that absolutely isn't going to happen.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:36 pm

I don't know if they are stronger than pure Saiyans but they do seem to gain strength faster.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Stronger? Eh.
Greater potential and greater ease of accessing power? Yes. As has been demonstrated ever since Gohan used Headbutt on Raditz, and it being super effective.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:Stronger? Eh.
Greater potential and greater ease of accessing power? Yes. As has been demonstrated ever since Gohan used Headbutt on Raditz, and it being super effective.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I said. But I dunno about the greater potential.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Hybrid vigor, its a real life phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 pm

But not all hybrids do well in the wild.

Kakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kakarot » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:05 am

S-Cells. The Hybrids we've seen so far throughout the series have all grown up on Earth, which Toriyama has stated contributes to the growth of S-Cells, due to the gentle nature of the planet. S-Cells can also just be inherited through genetics, which is why Hybrids had such an easier time going Super Saiyan. I imagine S-Cells also increase battle power, as Toriyama also stated that a certain amount of battle power is needed to achieve Super Saiyan as well. Seeing as Gohan stopped training after the Cell Saga and Goten went Super Saiyan, it's not too far of a stretch.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:17 am

From my personal observations of how similar-looking many Saiyans are, I speculate there's a large amount of inbreeding going on in the more limited sayan gene pool. By reproducing with a human, the gene's would have much much variation, there for the best dominant traits from both species tended to come out stronger.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:11 am

Humans look similar too. But I can see your logic.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:52 am

ZodaEX wrote:From my personal observations of how similar-looking many Saiyans are, I speculate there's a large amount of inbreeding going on in the more limited sayan gene pool. By reproducing with a human, the gene's would have much much variation, there for the best dominant traits from both species tended to come out stronger.
Makes sense. Vegeta being so proud of being a Saiyan, you'd think he'd try to be a purist but how? The only remaining Saiyans were him and Son Goku so he went for the next best thing: A human female.

Maybe Chichi would have been more suitable to procreate with Vegeta so in that case Trunks wouldn't have purple hair and he'd look nearly identical or identical to his father. Now that I think about it, purple haired Gohan/Goten.. that'd be weird.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Actually having seen the new Broly movie there is quite a diversity in looks for the Saiyans.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:35 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Actually having seen the new Broly movie there is quite a diversity in looks for the Saiyans.
Can you describe it better?

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:41 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Actually having seen the new Broly movie there is quite a diversity in looks for the Saiyans.
Can you describe it better?
Well..... The Saiyans had different facial designs, different hairstyles and different heights. They looked different. Some had spiky hair, some didn't. Some had prominent chins others didn't. Image

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Human and Saiyan genes simply mix well since they're so biologically similar.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Mostly plot convenience. I mean this isn't an In-Universe thread :D :D :lol: :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:46 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Well..... The Saiyans had different facial designs, different hairstyles and different heights. They looked different. Some had spiky hair, some didn't. Some had prominent chins others didn't. Image
Kid Boo was reborn as a human boy and now Tao Pai Pai was given his chance as a Saiyan. :P

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Well..... The Saiyans had different facial designs, different hairstyles and different heights. They looked different. Some had spiky hair, some didn't. Some had prominent chins others didn't. Image
Kid Boo was reborn as a human boy and now Tao Pai Pai was given his chance as a Saiyan. :P
I don't see the humor in that joke.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 am

Hulk10 wrote:I don't see the humor in that joke.
That's fine. I'm guessing you're more of a GT fan than DB. Dragon Ball is hugely underappreciated.