"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Does anyone know if King Cold is voiced by his DBZ Kai VA (Jason Douglas) in the new Broly movie?

I am asking because in the trailer, he sounds different to me: https://youtu.be/ynuFEc_Zg5I?t=16
Brad Jackson was the original voice, but in this trailer it does sound like Jason Douglas.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Does anyone know if King Cold is voiced by his DBZ Kai VA (Jason Douglas) in the new Broly movie?

I am asking because in the trailer, he sounds different to me: https://youtu.be/ynuFEc_Zg5I?t=16
Brad Jackson was the original voice, but in this trailer it does sound like Jason Douglas.
Yes, that is indeed Jason Douglas. He pretty much uses his Beerus voice but makes it more deeper and more "elegant" for Cold.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am

OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
Since I am avoiding spoilers I have a few questions regarding the dub if you don't mind, how was Vic as Broly? Also did FUNi stay away from those filters?

Dub will be my first experience (since one of my friends prefers dubs) with the film probably go sub the day after (since another prefers subbed lol).

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
Since I am avoiding spoilers I have a few questions regarding the dub if you don't mind, how was Vic as Broly? Also did FUNi stay away from those filters?

Dub will be my first experience (since one of my friends prefers dubs) with the film probably go sub the day after (since another prefers subbed lol).
Vic was pretty great as Broly! I also want to give a shout-out to Dameon Clarke as Paragas. I thought his performance really stood out (no details to avoid spoilers, though). As for those filters, I can't say I remember. I believe they threw some sort of reverb on the screams, but I don't remember hearing the overused filter they used in the show where it sounds like they put a pitched-up version of the scream somewhere in there. It's also been a week since I've seen the thing, so my memory may simply be failing me when it comes to small details like that.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Vic was pretty great as Broly! I also want to give a shout-out to Dameon Clarke as Paragas. I thought his performance really stood out (no details to avoid spoilers, though). As for those filters, I can't say I remember. I believe they threw some sort of reverb on the screams, but I don't remember hearing the overused filter they used in the show where it sounds like they put a pitched-up version of the scream somewhere in there. It's also been a week since I've seen the thing, so my memory may simply be failing me when it comes to small details like that.
Ahh cheers! That's a relief to hear about Vic! Clarke's Paragus already sounded great in the trailer so that doesn't surprise me! And regarding the reverb aslong as it wasn't distracting then that's fine.

Definitely even more excited now! :)

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Saying 'Tournament of Destroyers' is a more neutral way to phrase it.

If you say so, still better names out there. No need to resort to dubisms.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
Some users went to the Hollywood premiere last week.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:53 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
Some users went to the Hollywood premiere last week.
Ah I see.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Son Gara wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Saying 'Tournament of Destroyers' is a more neutral way to phrase it.

If you say so, still better names out there. No need to resort to dubisms.
I mean, some dubisms aren't actually that bad, especially this one. In-universe, the "Universe 6 Tournament" name wouldn't make any sense, so "Tournament of Destroyers" makes a degree of sense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4fG6jOBh8

Based on the interview, it looks like the English dub is around episode 94 or 95 ("we just recruited Freeza"), so they are pretty close to the Toonami airing (which is airing episode 92 on January 5th, 2019).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:21 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

Based on the interview, it looks like the English dub is around episode 94 or 95 ("we just recruited Freeza"), so they are pretty close to the Toonami airing (which is airing episode 92 on January 5th, 2019).
Yeah. Production on the show's dub probably slowed down due to the movie's dub taking priority over it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

Sorry to double post, but it's been several hours. I wanna highlight a few things that Sean & Geekdom talked about.
1. He's very dedicated to the role. When he was just starting out, he wanted to watch what they did before the episodes he was recording back in '99 so he had a better context for the character & the show. He's since read the manga & Journey to the West to get a greater understanding of the material. Respect.
2. The whole thing with Peter Kalemis was over a crediting issue. Sean is apparently, as he says, very adamant about crediting the write people in things & pointing out when he wasn't in certain English dubs of DB material. He specifically cites the Pioneer DVDs when some fans wanted him to sign them, where he tells them he wasn't a part of those dubs. He's very protective of people knowing who the right actor is in the dubs of DB material. Doesn't seem he went the right way about it, since, obviously, Peter temporarily got uninvited to the Kameha-con (if that wasn't it, please correct me) event, but they've apparently made amends since.
3. He confirmed that it IS James Marsters as Zamasu for the dub of Super & the video games, just in case the 2 people who are still skeptical about that needed more proof.

GreatJaiyaman
Banned

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:43 pm

What are the chances of Jason David Frank voicing Catopesla?! That would be my fan casting, it would be so nostalgic!
VegettoEX is a snowflake

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Son Gara wrote:
Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Thats a huge fucking reach, considering they say God quite a lot.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 am

GreatJaiyaman wrote:What are the chances of Jason David Frank voicing Catopesla?! That would be my fan casting, it would be so nostalgic!
It would all depend on his availability & Chris Sabat's want to cast him in the dub. JDF's used to dubbing work, since he's done all those episodes of Power Rangers, but not anime dubbing work, since the Power Rangers/Sentai helmets don't have lips to match, so it's up to him as well. Considering JDF's not acting much outside of Power Rangers reunions anymore, that's also a factor.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Yeah they do now, still doesn't change the fact that they didn't for the longest time.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:31 am

Son Gara wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Yeah they do now, still doesn't change the fact that they didn't for the longest time.
With them throwing around words like "deity/ies," "god/s", referencing Hell by name, telling the audience Goku is dead when he is, & not censoring when other characters die or are dead in this franchise for a while now, when have they not done that "for the longest time"? In the movies, the shows, video games, & other supplemental material, they haven't shied away from it. And any time they didn't, it was more of a stylistic choice over any censorship, which doesn't make any sense why people would think they're censoring the show, given it's dubbed uncut & airs on Toonami.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm watching ghost in the shell arise now. elizabeth maxwell is amazing as motoko kusunagi AKA major. i heard she also voices kale.