2019 Dragon Ball Predictions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

2019 Dragon Ball Predictions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:35 pm

It's that time of year again. Bring on the predictions.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: 2019 Dragon Ball Predictions

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:37 pm

First off, I will review my 2018 predictions:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:1. Super will not end this year
2. The Tournament of Power will end in March
3. After the Tournament of Power we will get a mini-conflict with Freeza that involves the Super Dragon Balls
4. The summer will be flooded with slice-of-life episodes
5. We will get an announcement for a new arc that begins towards the end of the year and runs alongside the new movie
6. The new arc will be set in the 10-year time gap but the new movie won't
7. The new movie, to no one's surprise will be centred around Goku and Vegeta, but it will be more original and story-focused than Resurrection F
8. The new movie will explore the relationship between the saiyans of Universes 6 and 7
9. GT will replace Kai on Toonami
10. Ocean Kai will air on the new Canadian channel Wow (going to be cautiously optimistic here but I believe it will happen)
11. Funimation will release 3 parts for Super
12. Dragon Ball Fighterz will be massive and take some of the attention off Xenoverse
1 : I have to say, Super’s hiatus was somewhat unprecedented, but nonetheless I’m happy I was wrong about this one as it has clearly gave Shintani some time to focus on getting the animation for Broly right
2 : Admittedly this point was probably an easy one
3 : It was unfortunate we didn’t get a mini-conflict with Freeza using the Super Dragon Balls as it would have been nice to have a huge twist in Super for a change, and it would have been a nice way of wrapping things up
4 : A good 10-20 mini-arc of slice-of-life episodes would have been nice, although with the new movie and Kitaro as well as an almost certain planned return for Super the absence of new episodes made sense in retrospect
5 : That was a good one, Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc just started and is ongoing alongside Broly
6 : Interestingly this one was half right and half wrong, TOEI sure loves that 10-year gap
7 : Not only was it centred around Goku and Vegeta but also literally the two of them as one – Gogeta, and thankfully Broly is not as hollow as ‘Resurrection F’
8 : Universe 6 would have been the cherry-on-top, but I’ll hold on to this one, not for this year but a later year. If we get more saiyan lore explorations in general and the series seems to be going in that direction this will look more likely
9 : Maybe not Kai, but I presume Toonami will go there when there is no new Z era material and they need something to retain their ratings
10 : I’m going to hold out on Ocean Kai for this year, and this should finally be the year as there doesn’t seem to be any more delays with Wow TV
11 : This prediction seemed pretty logical
12 : Well Fighterz didn’t do quite as well as the first Xenoverse but the fact it did better than Xenoverse 2 certainly qualifies it as taking centre stage as far as the video games do

And, as per routine on to my 2019 Predictions:

1. The return of Dragon Ball Super will be announced in January for a July release
2. Super will resume with a retelling of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc and Broly arcs in that order to give Toriyama more time to write notes for another new story arc
3. Towards the end of the year we will get an announcement for a new original Super anime arc, where we will see Goku exploring his heritage and feature the return/resurrection of Bardock because the editorial room told Toriyama he was a popular character
4. The Super manga will cover the new arc that will be announced towards the end of the year
5. We will get a new spinoff manga, which will star a popular character other than Goku and Vegeta
6. TOEI will announce the long awaited domestic Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray release, which like the movies will be an inconsistent mess with some arcs looking the best they’ve ever looked and others being a DNR mess leading fans to complain online and selectively purchase the volumes they like. These Blu-Ray sets will have 40-50 episodes each, cost around $100 a pop and feature Yamamuro character designs on the cover art and cards
7. Marni Shulman won’t be allowed to reveal the cast for Ocean Kai on Twitter, despite this she promises it will be the Ocean dub, and we will still get an announcement for Kai to air on Wow TV’s debut in April 1st. This will lead many fans to call April Fools on Kai’s Canadian debut featuring the Ocean cast… until it airs on that day and videos are posted online to confirm that the Ocean dub has finally begun
8. We will get at least one more surprise casting for the Super dub, which will be the voice of another popular anime character
9. Funimation, Madman and Manga UK will all release 3 new parts for Super in addition to Broly. Manga UK will have another completely different cover art for 1 or 2 of the series parts
10. Funimation still won’t announce a Super “Season 1” Blu-Ray, the fans who have been anticipating it will give up and import Madman’s collected sets
11. Funimation will announce a Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray for Broly, which will include the older three Broly movies with fancy packaging, art cards and not be in a standard Blu-Ray case. Manga UK’s Collector’s Edition will be the same as the standard edition, but with holographic cover art and include the art cards
12. Manga UK will release their version of Rock the Dragon towards the end of the year. This set which will be in standard DVD cases with slipcovers will repackage Madman’s old singles to avoid the NTSC to PAL conversion, but it will be worth buying for many as it will include the uncut dubs of the Pioneer movies
13. Dragon Ball Fighterz Season 2 is announced for release sometime in the second half of the year
14. Broly will become the highest grossing Dragon Ball film to date with a whopping $68 million worldwide

Some of these may be way off, but hey, you never know with this franchise.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:35 pm

2018 review:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNimation to continue their fantastic dub of the new series.

Dragon Ball continues to dominate my wallet.

Grandista to release UI Goku and SSGSS Goku and Vegeta.

Blood of Saiyans line to extend to Trunks and Gohan & SSGSS Vegeta.

FES line to release SS2 and God Goku (thus making the line cover every single form of Goku).

Ichiban Kuji's continue to focus on the Saiyans this time in November they'll release U6 Saiyans.

Bandai to announce yet another gashapon line this time similar to their Kai HG/DG gashapon series.

Megahouse return to do capsule scene selections for DBS.

Crap promo artist disappears again and good promo artist does some stuff just when things are looking bright the crappy one appears again to do promo art for the new arc and we have to sit there and watch his horrendous art be plastered everywhere from stationary to homeware to holiday gifts.... eurgh.

Dragon Ball Super continues to be immensely popular and successful and continues to sell incredibly well overseas.

A lot of fans fall for the FighterZ DLC crap and realise they've just been duped.

Fans to not learn their lessons and behave indecently when any new information comes to light about anything and people to spout shit without facts to push whatever agenda's they have... though thankfully if I continue to avoid threads I can avoid all this BS.

Viz start releasing the Cell arc and it doesn't get finished until 2021.

Toei learn from Resurrection "F" and license the new movie early for international market looking at early 2019 release, the film with the new found success of DBS does incredibly well at the BO.

Toei go back to nonsensical movie titles and this time modern FUNi don't change the movie title so we're stuck with "Amazing! The great power within from that guy!".
1. Well of course that was a safe one lol.

2. Deffo predicting this right. :lol:

3. Got the UI one spot on but sadly the other two were Bardock and Cell arc Gohan. :roll:

4. Completely wrong on that.

5. Well FES is finally releasing SSG in April 2019 so guess I don't get that one.

6. Well I did get half of this one right as March, May, June, September, October and December did focus on Saiyans but no U6.

7. Bandai revived the HG line for the new movie so so so happy got this one right.

8. Megahouse confirmed they plan nothing other than the over exaggerated DB GALS figures so welp on that.

9. Half again. Good promo artisit did take over more stuff and crap promo artisit while around didn't take over majority of art.

10. 100% nailed. In fact DBS Brand got stronger after it intro'd UI Goku in March and ended. Now you got Bandai slapping the logo twice wherever they can! (normal one and movie one).

11. Well I haven't followed Fighters much so dunno on that.

12. 100000% nailed on that! And I have stayed away as I have said.

13. Wrong. Oh so wrong.

14. Nailed on again! So happy about that one!

15. Wrong! The complete opposite in fact. :lol:

2019 Predictions:

1. DBS returns in July.

2. Bandai continue to piss me off at every opportunity they can.

3. Over the course of 2019 Shintani's style slowly starts to spread to all of Dragon Ball.

4. By the end of the year Yamamuro will be gone (hope more than expectation this one).

5. We manage to wrangle more well regarded sculptors over to work on DB.

6. Bandai continue to try and make SDBH more than it is by targeting the main series demo but continue to fail.

7. Out of box prediction FUNi will attempt to SD the new series.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm

1. Dragon Ball Z will receive a Blu-Ray release in Japan, the quality of which will be endlessly debated.
2. Said Blu-Ray release will not be imported by FUNimation by the end of the year.
3. The Super Anime will return, but later than most seem to be expecting, I'm guessing sometime in the Fall.
4. The Super Manga will be moved to Weekly Shonen Jump so that it can get even further ahead of the anime (I admit this one is a long shot).
4. FUNimation's Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays will continue to come out at a frustratingly slow pace.
5. The Heroes promotional anime will continue, even after DBS has returned.
6. DBS Broly will come to home video in the US sometime in the middle of the summer.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Ok! My 2018 predictions were:
Chuquita wrote: But here's my predictions for 2018.

-Super won't end
-the ToP finally ends.
-filler from March till April. New arc starts in April.
-new arc has an actual antagonist/villain
-new arc lasts until November.
-tie-in episode in December for the movie
-movie involves flashbacks or time travel.
-contrary to my initial worries, Gokû is one of the main characters in the movie.
-new movie exclusive outfits for Gokû and Vegeta

Now to wait and see.
-False. It ended in March
-True.
-False. Because the show ended in March.
-True. The new arc in the manga has an antagonist/villain.
-False. The new manga arc actually started in November instead of ending in November.
-Ehhhh. They re-aired the final two episodes of Super and tacked on like 11 seconds of movie footage I don't know if that does or doesn't count.
-True on flashbacks. False on time travel.
-True.
-True. Those coats count. So does Goku regaining his fun fluttery dougi belt. And Vegeta's armor is darker now.

So I did better on my 2018 predictions than I did on 2017's at least.

Here's my 2019 predictions:

-Super returns in April because that's both the month it left and Toriyama's birthday month. My second guess is July because DBS originally began in the summer, but I expect Toei to be all about that summer One Piece movie by that time of year so I'm still betting on April. October's the wildcard because it seems like a weird month to premiere Super in.

-When Super returns there is a 75% chance we keep the Shintani designs and a 25% chance we default backward to Yamamuro.

-When Super returns the Dragon Ball Heroes web-series ends: it's mission of having a semi-regular DB something airing somewhere while Super's away complete.

-My out of left field prediction: Super's next arc will be something completely different in order to drum up hype. Without the rushed schedule of Super 1.0 there's no reason for 2.0 to rely on doing a Brolli movie retelling. Additionally we will be so far into the now-new arc of the manga by the time Super returns that people will know whether or not they like what the manga's arc is doing and Toei will want to do something fresh and new that hasn't already been rolling along for what will then be 6 months for the manga arc.

-We will get FighterZ dlc for both Gogeta blue and new!Brolli. New Brolli will be in his new black-hair/yellow-iris form to further differentiate him from old!Brolli who's already in the game.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:40 pm

At the moment, I have few:
• Dragon Ball Kai being released in Norway (There is a pitch project for Kai that sangofe and others have been working on. I hope NRK approves it.)
• The Ocean Dub of Kai will have a break after the Saiyan Saga or during the Namek Saga. (Seriously, I don't expect Wow airing all the 98 episodes in one go.)
• A new Dragon Ball Super dub (I can expect a Catalan dub.)

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:53 pm

Alright, I'll have a go this year.

1. BLU-RAY RELEASES: Like everyone else has said, Japan will release DBZ on Blu-ray for its 30th anniversary, and Funimation may get their hands on this to announce it at AnimeExpo similar to when they announced the Dragon Boxes at Otakon '09. DB and GT may follow, given the fact that it's been about a decade since Funi released those on DVD, and all of Dragon Ball may finally be available on Blu-ray (despite the controversial edits)

2. 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF Z CELEBRATIONS: More 30th Anniversary stuff relating to DBZ such as merch

3. THE SPECIALS RELEASED OUTSIDE JAPAN?: Seeing as France finally got their hands on Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans and Episode of Bardock and released them in summer 2018, Funimation will FINALLY get at least two of the three specials I want and dub them with it either coming out in Q2, Q3, or Q4. Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return would be nice and preferred, but considering the fact that it's never been released outside Japan, the other two specials seem more likely and I'll take what I can get, I guess. (REALLY HOPE THIS FINALLY HAPPENS)

4. OCEAN KAI: Ocean Kai may finally debut this year, giving Ocean Kai fans the closure Funi Kai Buu Saga fans got when that finally aired - which will make Kai as a whole more relevant again as we'll get clips and comparison videos on YouTube

5. SUPER'S RETURN: Super seems like it will finally return and will either adapt the Galactic Prisoner Arc OR move on to an original story (possibly Sadala Arc?), but we won't get out of this 10 year-period that Toei seems so scared to move on from, which is sad because I'm ready for Uub and Pan to become center characters like Gohan and Trunks did. Goku and Vegeta will continue to be the central focuses, like always

6. NEW VIDEO GAME ANNOUNCEMENT: A new video game will be announced, but not release until early 2020 (may be Xenoverse 3 or the rumored RPG that we still don't know is actually coming out). FighterZ will get its second season DLC and Xenoverse 2 will continue to reach for as much material as it possibly can, ruining what could've been exclusive to X3. Super DB Heroes will be playable to many for the first time outside Japan, obviously due to the Switch region free nature OR genuine international releases like in Austrailia - increasing and exposing Heroes' popularity outside Japan

7. DRAGON BALL SD OUTSIDE JAPAN?: This one's a long shot, but perhaps Viz will finally get a hold of Dragon Ball SD after the release of the Yamcha manga. Still, I doubt this will happen so I'm just tempted to buy the manga in Japanese

Seven predictions like seven dragon balls. Really hoping for 1 and especially 3 to happen, at least.

HONORABLE MENTION: Perhaps something completely unexpected will also be announced, like a live-action movie or something?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:18 pm

1) Dragon Ball FighterZ will get a second batch of DLC characters.

2) Dragon Ball Super will return in October for the fall season.

5) Shintani will officially replace Yamamuro for thr new DBS anime (and forward).

4) DBS: Broly blu-ray will release on june.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:20 pm

First of all, I will start by reviewing my predictions from last year!
emperior wrote:
1 - FighterZ will be very well-received and will sell more copies than the first Xenoverse. It will also be released to the Nintendo Switch, and it will be awarded "fighting game of the year"
2 - Tournament of Power's finale will have outstanding animation, and the story too will blow up the fandom in a very positive way similar to episodes 109-110
3 - Super will end with episode 131 (or 133) with a hint, either in the story or by the narrator himself, in the latest episode that Dragon Ball stories aren't over
4 - The movie will be mind-blowing and loved by the fans, even more than Battle of Gods. Goku will appear in it, but the main character will be Yamoshi
5 - A new show will be announced, probably at the end of the movie, set after the events of EoZ/manga chapter 519 and written by Toriyama
6 - If Super doesn't end, I still predict the next major arc to be set after EoZ
7 - Xenoverse 3 will be announced
1 - I was right (this was easy)
2 - I was right (or so I think)
3 - I was right (this was a very bold prediction at the time!)
4 - The movie has been mind blowing for me and many other fans, almost unanimously,!and from what I’ve read the consensus is that it’s better than Battle of Gods.
Yamoshi was nowhere to be seen, so I was half-right at best.
5 - Nothing announced yet. Damn it, Jump Festa! I was wrong.
6 - Well... I was wrong. Unfortunately. I still hope we will eventually get over that darned ending!
7 - Wrong!

Now, onto the predictions for 2019!

1 - The new Dragon Ball Super show will be announced in January and will begin in April.
2 - The new show will sport a different logo, to differentiate it from the 1st season, but will still be Super.
3 - The anime will not do the Galactic Prisoner arc. It will do a new Toriyama arc, written as a movie script instead of an outline. No retelling of Broly.
4 - Naohiro Shintani will be character designer, with Ryota Nakamura as the series director.
5 - Unfortunately they won’t move over the end of the manga by the end of the year, but I still hope they will.
6 - FighterZ will have a season 2 featuring Ultra Instinct Goku, Jiren, Blue Gogeta and Broly as the most prominent characters.
7 - Xenoverse 3 will be announced. It will sport anime-like graphics (not like FighterZ but more like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games or Burst Limit, so basically cel-shaded).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Before looking back at my 2018 predictions, I'd like to note something about my 2017 predictions...
Robo4900, circa 2017 wrote:
  • A new anime based on Dragon Ball Heroes will be announced. Toyotaro will be involved, but Toriyama will stay pretty distant from it.
:lol:

Anyway, let's see how my 2018 predictions have turned out...
Robo4900, circa 2018 wrote:
  • The new movie will not be as good as Battle Of Gods, but it'll be better than Resurrection F. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm given to understand it hasn't really had much wide exposure in the English-speaking world yet anyway, so... Jury's still out on this. Maybe I'll come back to this at the end of this month, after I've seen it.
  • The movie will have a more mid-Z-ish style, unlike BoG and RF's more original series/Boo-ish style. The movie will be less enjoyable for it, but US fans will rave about it. Ditto. I'll put all the other ones like this just after here, and put as space after them
  • We know that the new movie will feature something to do with the origins of the Saiyans. The things this movie reveals will be stuff people never wanted to know in the first place, it'll shake up everyone's perceptions of what Saiyans are, and it'll make them a lot less interesting(Kind of like what Minus did to Bardock).
  • That Dr. Slump crossover will happen in the movie.
  • The movie will be set either after the end of Z, or shortly before that.
  • The Tournament Of Power will have an ending that will divide fans. It will then be followed by a bunch of filler episodes that will be utterly brilliant, but people will complain about it not being edgy enough. The ending sucked story-wise, but had a good fight, so it was a bit divisive. No filler episodes after 131, though; we went straight into the movie.
  • Another Dr. Slump crossover will happen. The fans who didn't like the last one will hate this one even more.
  • The movie will actually be based on Dragon Ball Heroes.
  • Viz will resume Dragon Ball Full Colour, releasing three volumes in 2018, with three more volumes announced as coming in 2019. They will stay completely silent about the possibility of Boo, Boyhood, and Piccolo, to the point that many fans begin to think they'll finish Full Colour up with Cell.
  • Manga UK will stop licensing Dragon Ball Super's home media releases, due to low sales.
  • Funimation will do something amazing in their Super dub that no one could have seen coming, which will blow everyone's minds... Again.
  • Ocean Kai will get on-air in Canada. Fans online will complain about it, but it will get solid ratings, because Canadian fans will actually be really into it. It is happening in April, but April 2019 is not in 2018, so...
  • Ocean begins production on a dub of Kai: The Final Chapters. This will be tightly kept under wraps, except for the fact Lee Tockar, Scott McNeil, or Michael Dobson will let it slip in an interview or something. Heh. Maybe 2019 or 2020, if we're lucky. :lol:
  • Actually, Chris Sabat will be the one to leak Ocean Kai TFC, as the Funimation voice actors are brought in to voice the Cell Games re-enactment.
  • Alternatively, Ian Corlett leaks it, as it turns out Ocean's Cell Games re-enactment uses Ian Corlett as Goku, has Drummond and McNeil do versions of Vegeta and Piccolo just like back in 1996, Cell is Dale Wilson doing a performance that exaggerates and mocks the way he played Cell in the Westwood dub, and while Mr. Satan is recast in the main dub, Don Brown comes back as him for this scene.
  • Or, alternatively, the Ocean Cell Games re-enactment is entirely voiced by Chris Sabat, with all the voices being based on his "Season 3" style of delivery and acting in general.
  • The UK begins airing Bang Zoom's dub of Super. They get to the end of what Bang Zoom dubbed, and to save money bring the Big Green crew in to dub the rest of the show. This is a catastrophic failure, and results in the premature end of a revived UK Toonami.
  • Bulma's role in Super becomes almost nonexistent. Jury's out on this. We'll find out this year, probably.
  • Stock audio of Hiromi Tsuru from Kai: The Final Chapters is used for Bulma's scenes in the end of Z world tournament material. Again, jury's still out on this. We'll find out when Super ends, I suppose. I'd guess it'll end either this year or next year, though, so...
  • Jōji Yanami comes back to do one last piece of narration for Super to end the show. Ditto.
[/list]
Heh. I didn't do too well.

Let's throw out some ones for this year, and see how I do...
  • No Dragon Ball Full Color volumes from Viz in 2019.
  • Funimation will have an amazing cameo in their dub of the movie.
  • Ocean Kai gets a lot of bile thrown at it online, but is generally a solid piece of dubbing with loads of great performances, and many new fan-favourite voices, particularly Richard Ian Cox's Goku.
  • Bulma has a reduced presence in the movie and Super for a while.
  • Super is made known to be running into 2020, possibly beyond.
  • A short spin-off manga that isn't Heroes runs at some point in 2019.
  • Because the manga doesn't stop running, and because of both filler and its generally slow pace, the anime of Super stays behind the manga throughout the story arc the manga is currently telling.
  • Toei announce a Blu-Ray release of the original three TV anime. Since it's the 30th anniversary of Z, and Z is the most marketable, that will release first, followed by DB and GT.
  • Funimation won't import the HD releases of DB, Z, or GT in 2019. They might do the movies, but the series -- definitely not.
  • The UK still doesn't air any Dragon Ball, and a revived Toonami UK remains a pipe dream.
  • Bang Zoom's Super dub does not continue on.
  • Funimation import the Toei movie masters, and the only audio tracks included are: Japanese audio from optical, Funi dub with Kikuchi score in 5.1 using new mixes but the exact same dialogue contents as the Funi BDs, and -- where applicable -- Funi dub with US score using the same stereo mix as the Funi BDs.
That last one pains me to say; I'd LOVE the Pioneer dubs, maybe even the Latino and oldschool Funi dubs(Pre-redubbing) to make it to a Funi release of the Toei movie masters, and if they could do like some standard-def bonus features of the old edited dubs(BLT DB movie 1, Saban Z movie 3), I'd be over the moon, but speaking as a cynical bastard, I don't think it's going to happen.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:56 pm

This is my first time doing this! My top one on the list is one I'm surprised nobody's saying:
  • Dragon Ball Super will return, specifically with Shintani as the style lead. The in-the-know fanbase collectively rejoices as the characters become appealing to watch again, while the US fanbase implodes as the characters no longer look like their action figures and are "too stylized".
  • Super doesn't return to air immediately after the Broly movie. Instead the point below will be used to hold the floor while the Dragon Room team actually take the time to plan out what the next three or four arcs will be, specifically focusing on having Toriyama being more involved with the actual plot rather than just slipping ideas under the door while he hangs out with Toyotaro. Storytelling on Super improves as a result, although we'll still get at least three new hair colours.
  • Instead of covering the Broly arc again in Super the Anime, the film has a slightly edited version of the movie that's supplemented with cut/new scenes to make it compatible with airing in regular TV broadcast, rather than re-animating the entire thing over again. Toei of course will market this version as the Extended Edition for home video.
  • FighterZ becomes a "live service" title like Destiny in offering new content like characters, stages and even story campaigns as (mostly) free DLC rather than offering up a true sequel. In other words, it becomes the fighting game equivalent to Rocket League (or just straight-up Killer Instinct). Okay not really a prediction so much as something I actually want to happen quite a lot.
  • If the above doesn't happen, FighterZ 2 (Fighter2?) is announced and is basically the original FighterZ + its character DLC and a further expanded character lineup. Features a new campaign with the return of Good Android 21, characters can finally be nested together to clear out the seven iterations of Goku and Vegeta.
  • The 2019 ViZ reprints of the manga disappoint everyone here and turn out to just be new covers, which somehow look even uglier than the revised Tankobon covers. I'll eat my Lego X-Wing if the revised covers actually mimic the ORIGINAL Tankobon covers from the 80s and 90s.
  • Toei commits to releasing DBZ on Blu-Ray, but doesn't commit to the original Dragon Ball anime due to lack of Z Blu-Ray sales (but they release GT anyway). Everyone prays they get Shintani to do the covers while Yamamuro devolves into using traced play-doh for his new submissions.
  • Crazy What If? Option: Toei doesn't release DBZ on Blu-Ray for the 30th anniversary, but instead re-releases Kai with an accurate Kikuchi score because that's cheaper.
On FighterZ, agreed with everyone. It was plain that even non fighting game fans were standing up to pay attention to this game. Winning Fighting Game of the Year at the Game Awards certainly helps!

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 am

1. DB Super will come back in March/April, possibly approaching the end of the Manga's Galactic patrol arc;
2. DB Super will start off with the Broli movie retelling as the first arc;
3. I hope Super goes past the 10 year gap asap, but I predict it won't at all;
4. Future Trunks will return, again;
5. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 3 will be announced at some point, maybe late summer, and will tie the time patrol with the galactic patrol shenanigans.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:First off, I will review my 2018 predictions:
3. After the Tournament of Power we will get a mini-conflict with Freeza that involves the Super Dragon Balls
5. We will get an announcement for a new arc that begins towards the end of the year and runs alongside the new movie
7. The new movie, to no one's surprise will be centred around Goku and Vegeta, but it will be more original and story-focused than Resurrection F
8. The new movie will explore the relationship between the saiyans of Universes 6 and 7
10. Ocean Kai will air on the new Canadian channel Wow (going to be cautiously optimistic here but I believe it will happen)
12. Dragon Ball Fighterz will be massive and take some of the attention off Xenoverse
1 : I have to say, Super’s hiatus was somewhat unprecedented, but nonetheless I’m happy I was wrong about this one as it has clearly gave Shintani some time to focus on getting the animation for Broly right
3 : It was unfortunate we didn’t get a mini-conflict with Freeza using the Super Dragon Balls as it would have been nice to have a huge twist in Super for a change, and it would have been a nice way of wrapping things up
4 : A good 10-20 mini-arc of slice-of-life episodes would have been nice, although with the new movie and Kitaro as well as an almost certain planned return for Super the absence of new episodes made sense in retrospect
5 : That was a good one, Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc just started and is ongoing alongside Broly
6 : Interestingly this one was half right and half wrong, TOEI sure loves that 10-year gap
7 : Not only was it centred around Goku and Vegeta but also literally the two of them as one – Gogeta, and thankfully Broly is not as hollow as ‘Resurrection F’
8 : Universe 6 would have been the cherry-on-top, but I’ll hold on to this one, not for this year but a later year. If we get more saiyan lore explorations in general and the series seems to be going in that direction this will look more likely
9 : Maybe not Kai, but I presume Toonami will go there when there is no new Z era material and they need something to retain their ratings
10 : I’m going to hold out on Ocean Kai for this year, and this should finally be the year as there doesn’t seem to be any more delays with Wow TV
12 : Well Fighterz didn’t do quite as well as the first Xenoverse but the fact it did better than Xenoverse 2 certainly qualifies it as taking centre stage as far as the video games do

1. The return of Dragon Ball Super will be announced in January for a July release
2. Super will resume with a retelling of the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc and Broly arcs in that order to give Toriyama more time to write notes for another new story arc
3. Towards the end of the year we will get an announcement for a new original Super anime arc, where we will see Goku exploring his heritage and feature the return/resurrection of Bardock because the editorial room told Toriyama he was a popular character
4. The Super manga will cover the new arc that will be announced towards the end of the year
5. We will get a new spinoff manga, which will star a popular character other than Goku and Vegeta
6. TOEI will announce the long awaited domestic Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray release, which like the movies will be an inconsistent mess with some arcs looking the best they’ve ever looked and others being a DNR mess leading fans to complain online and selectively purchase the volumes they like. These Blu-Ray sets will have 40-50 episodes each, cost around $100 a pop and feature Yamamuro character designs on the cover art and cards
7. Marni Shulman won’t be allowed to reveal the cast for Ocean Kai on Twitter, despite this she promises it will be the Ocean dub, and we will still get an announcement for Kai to air on Wow TV’s debut in April 1st. This will lead many fans to call April Fools on Kai’s Canadian debut featuring the Ocean cast… until it airs on that day and videos are posted online to confirm that the Ocean dub has finally begun
8. We will get at least one more surprise casting for the Super dub, which will be the voice of another popular anime character
9. Funimation, Madman and Manga UK will all release 3 new parts for Super in addition to Broly. Manga UK will have another completely different cover art for 1 or 2 of the series parts
10. Funimation still won’t announce a Super “Season 1” Blu-Ray, the fans who have been anticipating it will give up and import Madman’s collected sets
11. Funimation will announce a Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray for Broly, which will include the older three Broly movies with fancy packaging, art cards and not be in a standard Blu-Ray case. Manga UK’s Collector’s Edition will be the same as the standard edition, but with holographic cover art and include the art cards
12. Manga UK will release their version of Rock the Dragon towards the end of the year. This set which will be in standard DVD cases with slipcovers will repackage Madman’s old singles to avoid the NTSC to PAL conversion, but it will be worth buying for many as it will include the uncut dubs of the Pioneer movies
13. Dragon Ball Fighterz Season 2 is announced for release sometime in the second half of the year
14. Broly will become the highest grossing Dragon Ball film to date with a whopping $68 million worldwide

Retelling of Galactic Patrol arc? While Jaco was a thing and there are earlier drafts for the Galactic patrols i don't see how you can call this re telling.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

sangofe wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:First off, I will review my 2018 predictions:

Retelling of Galactic Patrol arc? While Jaco was a thing and there are earlier drafts for the Galactic patrols i don't see how you can call this re telling.
Your right, adaption would be a better word for it than retelling. I expect it to happen though because we all know Toriyama likes to take his time coming up with ideas for Super arcs, and I don't think TOEI will want the Super Broly Blu-Ray release clashing with a TV retelling so they may adapt the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc to space things out a bit.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 am

I don't remember if I did any 2018 predictions or not...looking up an old thread for it here, if I did it wasn't here at any rate, so no reviews I can do really. For new predictions though -

1) Dragon Ball will get a new animated series either starting sometime this year or at least announced. It'll likely be called Super still, but a re-branding is always possible as well. Regardless, it will likely start off with one of three things - a couple episodes of levity-themed filler; an adaptation of the Broly film into TV episodes; or it'll jump right to the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc that's just started in Toyotaro's Super manga.
2) Xenoverse 2 is likely done getting major paid DLC (though there could be another free update of some kind). By 'major paid DLC' I mean no more character packs, stages, new story content, or anything like that; and by free update I mean it could get more stuff for the Figure Colosseum yet.
3) Xenoverse 3 will get formally announced and could come out sometime by the end of the year, or could come out early 2020. Likewise, Xenoverse 2 will get a free update or a paid DLC thing that will finally offer the ability to play Xenoverse 1's story in Xenoverse 2, like what the Switch version offers.
4) FighterZ on the other hand will likely get some kind of second season of DLC with another 8 characters. I don't know for sure who to predict the additional characters will be, but a couple of likely options I'd guess for would be Jiren and the new version of Broly.
5) FighterZ MAY also get a sequel announced, but it probably won't happen until the end of the year, and very likely won't be released until the following year of 2020.
6) We'll finally get something announced in regards to that Dragon Ball ARPG that's been rumored for a bit.
7) Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission will get announced for an English release at last. However, like Dragon Ball Fusions, it will probably come out without a dub.
8 ) FUNimation will continue to release Dragon Ball Super on DVD and Bluray, and will not only finish putting out what exists of the series so far, they'll start to re-release the earlier material in bigger collections. Oh, and of course Broly will come out in a DVD/Bluray combo at some point in the year as well.
9) We'll continue to get nothing but vaporware in the form of the Ocean Kai dub sadly.

That's about all super likely ones I can think of, but I can think of at least a couple more reaching ones that while unlikely, I'd be pretty excited to see finally happen.

10) Dragon Ball Fusions will finally get a sequel announced and/or released, and will come out for the Switch instead of the 3DS.
11) Viz and FUNimation will work out a deal allowing Viz to finally release the Chozenshuu guidebooks, marking the first full English release of the guidebooks at long last.
12) Viz will likewise also release the Chogashu art book.
13) One of Mike's DVD shelves will finally collapse from the sheer combined weight of every copy he has of Dead Zone. :P
14) FUNimation, in the interim between Super releases, will finally get the rights to release a few of the things they've missed out on, likely in a collected set rather than individually. Things I'm thinking they'll finally nab, dub, and release in this theoretical set include the JSAT special, Episode of Bardock, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am

- Super will return for another round of weekly long-running TV anime
- FighterZ will get more DLC
- Xenoverse 3 will be announced

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 pm

There's no way Toei will have another adaption of a movie in the anime. That was done in Super to begin with because Toei didn't have any material, and Toriyama suggested retelling the movies. This time it would be an insanely stupid move (more so than last time). It won't happen. Just a waste of time.

As for predictions, obviously the series will continue or a differently titled one will happen. Beyond that, IDK what to expect.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:13) One of Mike's DVD shelves will finally collapse from the sheer combined weight of every copy he has of Dead Zone. :P
I love this one.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:This time it would be an insanely stupid move (more so than last time). [...] Just a waste of time.
This has never stopped Toei in the past. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:There's no way Toei will have another adaption of a movie in the anime. That was done in Super to begin with because Toei didn't have any material, and Toriyama suggested retelling the movies. This time it would be an insanely stupid move (more so than last time). It won't happen. Just a waste of time.
No, they should have an anime retelling of the movie, that's why there's a thread discussing the matter with people on both sides.