After more than 20 years, the original DragonBall anime returns in Cyprus! (soon in Greece?)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

After more than 20 years, the original DragonBall anime returns in Cyprus! (soon in Greece?)

Post by TheRed259 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:08 pm

First time DragonBall aired in Greece and Cyprus was in 1995. And now, after more than 2 decades the original DB anime returns on TV!

Smile TV in Cyprus has started airing the original DragonBall anime with the Greek dub.
https://www.facebook.com/dbzgreekfans/p ... 6109974426

Smile TV in Greece hasn't started airing it yet even though their program for January 2019 says: 10:30 DragonBall Z and 22:00 DragonBall.

So I am guessing that it will start soon in Greece as well? :think:

Either way, it's good to have the original DragonBall back on TV with the Greek dub! :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: After more than 20 years, the original DragonBall anime returns in Cyprus! (soon in Greece?)

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 pm

That's awesome to hear! The original Dragon Ball anime needs more love.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Re: After more than 20 years, the original DragonBall anime returns in Cyprus! (soon in Greece?)

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:16 am

Just watched episode 17 live from the official website of Smile TV Cyprus.

I hadn't watched the original DragonBall anime for years so it was nice watching it again in Greek.

For Opening they are using the Greek version of Makafushigi Adventure and for Ending the original Japanese version of Romantic Ageru Yo.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:15 am

Good to see Dragon Ball getting some love and considering the state that Cyprus (and Greece, and other countries) is in right now, this is quite a treat. :)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 am

TheRed259 wrote:Just watched episode 17 live from the official website of Smile TV Cyprus.

I hadn't watched the original DragonBall anime for years so it was nice watching it again in Greek.

For Opening they are using the Greek version of Makafushigi Adventure and for Ending the original Japanese version of Romantic Ageru Yo.
What about the audio? Is still good after 20 years or it suffered some kind of damage?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:42 am

Tian wrote:What about the audio? Is still good after 20 years or it suffered some kind of damage?
After 24 years, it's still fine!

This is where I watched it in case you wanna check it for yourself: http://www.smiletvcyprus.com/gr/index.php/live (the quality is not perfect but it's watchable)

Ιt starts at 10:30 and in some cases sooner. It's also at 22:00 if I am not wrong.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm

TheRed259 wrote:
Tian wrote:What about the audio? Is still good after 20 years or it suffered some kind of damage?
After 24 years, it's still fine!
I would be quite surprised if it was damaged at all. Only reason the Japanese side has such poor audio is that they only kept the sound on the optical tracks on the 16mm film masters of the show, and optical film sound is just terrible.

Presumably, this would be played from tape, or a digital transfer of a master tape, so the sound should be pretty much as it was 20 years ago. Possibly better, given the quality of modern broadcasts compared to that of 20 years ago.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm

BTW, the original DragonBall anime (Greek dub) had come out on DVD in 2011 by DeAgostini Hellas and the audio was fine. But for some reason, they redubbed a scene from episode 33 and the whole episode 77 (with different voice actors). A similar thing happened with the Greek DVD release of DragonBall Z from the same company in 2007 where they redubbed the whole episode 197. Don't know if this has to do with audio problems or something like that...

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm

TheRed259 wrote:BTW, the original DragonBall anime (Greek dub) had come out on DVD in 2011 by DeAgostini Hellas and the audio was fine. But for some reason, they redubbed a scene from episode 33 and the whole episode 77 (with different voice actors). A similar thing happened with the Greek DVD release of DragonBall Z from the same company in 2007 where they redubbed the whole episode 197. Don't know if this has to do with audio problems or something like that...
Huh, that's really interesting. Did they use those "demonic voice" filters for any of the redubbed material? Do you know where I can find some clips from these episodes?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:40 pm

The studio that redubbed these episodes was the one who did the Greek dub for DragonBall GT, the Movies and TV Specials so they don't use voices filters anyway. Besides, as far as I remember, in DB they started using voice filters when King Piccolo appeared. I will send you a PM soon about your last question.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:13 am

By the way, the channel is now airing the Greek dub of DragonBall with footage from the Dragon Boxes.

Also, it looks like they started the series again from the start. Last Sunday, I saw the 1st episode. Don't know how many episodes they had shown before starting the series again. But I do remember watching the first episodes from the Red Ribbon Army Saga some time ago.

The channel is also airing DBZ with footage from the Orange Bricks.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 am

Nice!

This gives me hope that the original series will air in Israel. It was never dubbed or aired because it was considered "inappropriate" :roll:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm

I was in Cyprus for about a week and it was a lovely little-big country with tons to check out and easy to get lost without someone who's a local. The TV channels were pretty much junk but I'm guessing they have paid cable so that's what some/most watch otherwise there's always the internet.

Dragon Ball on TV in whichever country is always good to have. :)

Also, they're well packed at the Larnaca airport so I'm guessing they're ready if anything ever goes down. Hopefully it won't but they're prepared in any event.
Yalos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 amThis gives me hope that the original series will air in Israel. It was never dubbed or aired because it was considered "inappropriate" :roll:
Cyprus is in the Middle East I won't argue with that but the population (European), language (Greek) and government (Greek) are all European-based although there's a portion of the country which is occupied by the Turkish (Keryneia — As per the map I have). Plus, the government is funded by the EU organization.

World Map: http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/produ ... 811268.jpg

I found it interesting that there's a statue about the Armenian Genocide which Turkey refuses to admit but this isn't related to Dragon Ball so no point in talking about it.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:24 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm I was in Cyprus for about a week and it was a lovely little-big country with tons to check out and easy to get lost without someone who's a local. The TV channels were pretty much junk but I'm guessing they have paid cable so that's what some/most watch otherwise there's always the internet.

Dragon Ball on TV in whichever country is always good to have. :)

Also, they're well packed at the Larnaca airport so I'm guessing they're ready if anything ever goes down. Hopefully it won't but they're prepared in any event.
Yalos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 amThis gives me hope that the original series will air in Israel. It was never dubbed or aired because it was considered "inappropriate" :roll:
Cyprus is in the Middle East I won't argue with that but the population (European), language (Greek) and government (Greek) are all European-based although there's a portion of the country which is occupied by the Turkish (Keryneia — As per the map I have). Plus, the government is funded by the EU organization.

World Map: http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/produ ... 811268.jpg

I found it interesting that there's a statue about the Armenian Genocide which Turkey refuses to admit but this isn't related to Dragon Ball so no point in talking about it.
Okay?
The hope I was given from Cyprus airing a show from 1984 is that my country will dub the original series and air it on TV. I know what you said to me but it isn't related to what I said.