On whether or not Goku is indicated as using Ultra Instinct in the Broly movie in any way

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

On whether or not Goku is indicated as using Ultra Instinct in the Broly movie in any way

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:17 pm

What's everyone's thoughts about Goku attempting to tap into UI against Broly?

Visually, I like how either Omen or UI look. I'm not a big fan that it's a transformation. The way i felt like they foreshadowed it with Whis describing it seemed more like a state of mind. Take Roshi and his imperfect instinct( however BS it was), or Beerus and his imperfect UI. Neither cases had any visual difference.

I understand from a storytelling perspective and Dragon ball perspective, a visual indicator is easy for the viewers to follow along. Just feel like having it very clearly seem like a transformation in the example of Goku feels off.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Goku try's to go Ultra Instinct in Broly movie

Post by FrostByte » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:26 pm

I don't think he tried to tap into Ultra Instinct. If you see the storyboard for that particular scene, nowhere does it say "Goku uses UI for a split second". Instead it just says "Goku directly goes into Super Saiyan Blue". Many aura colours appear in that scene such as yellow, green, silver, and finally blue. Either that's just an easter egg, or Nagamine's love for colours.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:43 pm

FrostByte wrote:I don't think he tried to tap into Ultra Instinct. If you see the storyboard for that particular scene, nowhere does it say "Goku uses UI for a split second". Instead it just says "Goku directly goes into Super Saiyan Blue". Many aura colours appear in that scene such as yellow, green, silver, and finally blue. Either that's just an easter egg, or Nagamine's love for colours.

Or it's Goku's attempt to change into his most powerful state, which makes the most sense.Especially on the heels of him just getting UI in the ToP. Besides, Goku doesn't flash random colors turning blue.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:47 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:
FrostByte wrote:I don't think he tried to tap into Ultra Instinct. If you see the storyboard for that particular scene, nowhere does it say "Goku uses UI for a split second". Instead it just says "Goku directly goes into Super Saiyan Blue". Many aura colours appear in that scene such as yellow, green, silver, and finally blue. Either that's just an easter egg, or Nagamine's love for colours.

Or it's Goku's attempt to change into his most powerful state, which makes the most sense.Especially on the heels of him just getting UI in the ToP. Besides, Goku doesn't flash random colors turning blue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFy7O-uHbu4 Watch AnimeAjay's video on this topic.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:49 pm

ssj3kakarot wrote:Besides, Goku doesn't flash random colors turning blue.
And Vegeta doesn't flash green before turning Super Saiyan, but now he does.
It's just the movie being different, because they can, nothing more.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm

It's not in the script or the storyboard. If anything it's just an easter egg.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:21 am

It didn't feel right to me that he couldn't bring that out to use against Broly, after having used it in the Tournament of Power.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 am

That whole transformation scene is fairly bizarre. We've not seen one like it from God to Blue like it. He does assume "the pose" with his arms at his side, and briefly has silver hair with silver iris and black pupil, before finishing the transformation

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 pm

No.
That's just the animation style of the movie.
Like Vegeta getting greenish glow before transforming ssj, Goku SSB getting red sparks, Broly always had green aura surrounding him even in base.
God Gogeta

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 pm

I doubt that it was an attempt, but it just looked like an EASTER EGG, to drive fans crazy, and it looked fucking cool.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:50 pm

"Attempting" to go Ultra Instinct is complete fallacy since it is meant to be instinct. You don't attempt it. Goku can't choose to transform into it at will (yet, anyway).

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Marco Polo wrote:"Attempting" to go Ultra Instinct is complete fallacy since it is meant to be instinct. You don't attempt it. Goku can't choose to transform into it at will (yet, anyway).

Except Goku mentioned he tried and couldn't. End of 131, Vegeta asks Goku why he doesn't go UI. Goku responds he can't, meaning he has tried to tap back into it. So even though "attempting" UI isn't the way to do it, Goku has tried (off camera) at going UI after the ToP.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:32 pm

God Gogeta wrote:No.
Like Vegeta getting greenish glow before transforming ssj, Goku SSB getting red sparks, Broly always had green aura surrounding him even in base.
Animation style that looks exactly like UI, seems odd for THAT exact color choice AND the aura to be the style they were going for.

Look at the color, and the aura during that split second. Near exact match to what Goku looks in UI. In the next frame when Goku is no longer white, his aura is a typical aura, not one of his UI auras.

I'm just saying it's odd that out of all the "styles" they pick, they literally pick the UI style.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am

Nope. He didn’t try to go Ultra Instinct. It’s not something he can try to do that way.
That’s like saying Vegeta tried to use Kale’s form when he transformed because his hair turned green for a moment.
Also Ultra Instinct is a technique and not a transformation, thus Goku can’t simply activate it by powering up and screaming. So far he never activated it this way, in neither the anime nor manga.

I believe whoever is convinced Goku was trying to activate UI doesn’t understand what the technique is or what directors’ artistic choices are. Next we will hear Broly was Super Saiyan Blue in Movie 8 or he was Rosè and thus was a God because in a certain scene Yamauchi used pink colors.
And of course in the 2008 special Goku was already a Super Saiyan Blue. Oh he is also a Super Saiyan Blue whenever he fires a Kamehameha and he turns blue because of it! And Vegeta uses Super Saiyan Violet when he uses the Galick Gun!
See how silly this sounds?

I also want to remind you that Nagamine, the director, wanted to innovate how transformations are depicted and how DB looks like with this movie, to stray away from the typical look. He finally had the balls to do something a little different, and as he said “to not treat DB as something untouchable” so I hope the fans not understanding his visual choices won’t lead back to them playing it safe with the visuals.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:

No, Goku trying to go UI is not in the script at all, nor is it in any other novelizations for the movie. Goku going silver was either Nagamine just using a ride array of colors as a director to make the transformation to Blue more bold, or it was just a simple visual easter egg. Toriyama had no intention of Goku even attempting to tap into UI as far as we know. AnimeAjay is still trying to get into contact with Nagamine, so we shall wait for his response.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:
God Gogeta wrote:No.
Animation style that looks exactly like UI, seems odd for THAT exact color choice AND the aura to be the style they were going for.

Look at the color, and the aura during that split second. Near exact match to what Goku looks in UI. In the next frame when Goku is no longer white, his aura is a typical aura, not one of his UI auras.

I'm just saying it's odd that out of all the "styles" they pick, they literally pick the UI style.
And before that he had a yellow aura (like SS1) while in SSGod, then an intense greenish aura, then a blue/whiteish, then after that (while in SSB) a blue aura with red flashes. Considering all that for a single transformation from God to Blue (unless you also think he went SS1, Broly's Full Power form, UI, then SSB/Kaioken) it's visual candy to make the transformation more interesting. Also hair lighting up before a transformation isn't something UI exclusive.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: On whether or not Goku is indicated as using Ultra Instinct in the Broly movie in any way

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:25 pm

He went UI.

From an “in-universe” perspective: There is no other explanation for Goku having silver hair and silver eyes with black pupils at the same time and it NOT being his Ultra Instinct. There’s just no other explanation if you look at this as someone within the universe. Thats indisputable. That alone should be enough.

From the “outside, looking in” perspective: Its an Easter egg but its still UI none the less. And if you ask “why wasm’t It mentioned in the novel or storyboard”, what my friend and i have agreed on is, if its an Easter egg, and we know that Nagamine and others have explained multiple times that he gives animators loads of creative freedom (meaning they DON’T have to follow his storyboarding and he even said before that during many of the fight scenes, people didn’t follow his storyboards), that means that an animator added UI as an Easter egg and it makes sense that it wasn’t in the storyboarding.

As for the novel, that would be based on Toriyama and his script. And its been explained that for the animated movie, the staff didn’t follow Toriyama’s script for the fights but instead did there own thing. And heck, even doing there own thing, animators were free enough to not even follow the staff’s (Nagamine’s storyboarding) ideas.

So OF COURSE the novel and storyboarding wouldn’t mention it.

As my friend said:

“Pretty much same as you've already been arguing. Whether it was ever intended to be included or not, I'd say whoever animated the scene probably decided to include it. Nagamine has gone on record as letting most of the people do as they please for the most part, so he likely kept it once it was turned in.”
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

IM21
Banned

Re: On whether or not Goku is indicated as using Ultra Instinct in the Broly movie in any way

Post by IM21 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 am

I don't really care if he went UI or did not. I do have a problem of using the silver hair tho. If nothing states that he went UI why would u even give him the UI look. Should have not happened and that little second should have been cut from the movie. I am also not a fan of Nagamine just letting everyone do what they want. If you're the boss make them execute your vision.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:45 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:

How in the world does “Goku attempting to change into his most powerful state” seem to make more sense? Both Goku and Vegeta transformed in sequential order. SSJ, SSG and then SSB. Why the heck would Goku all of a sudden try to turn UI when we know for a fact that he likes to take his time?

The OBVIOUS answer is that they just got colorful with the transformations. They teased a green hair Vegeta when he transformed... Are you gonna try and assume that Vegeta tried to mimic Kales SSJ transformation because of that? No.

Another reason this thought should be put to bed, is that Goku straining the way he did trying to transform GOES COMPLETELY AGAINST WHAT MAKES UI DIFFERENT. There was no calmness whatsoever. Geez. People overthink things too much
How i predict the tournament will end:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:52 am

emperior wrote:Nope. He didn’t try to go Ultra Instinct. It’s not something he can try to do that way.
That’s like saying Vegeta tried to use Kale’s form when he transformed because his hair turned green for a moment.
Also Ultra Instinct is a technique and not a transformation, thus Goku can’t simply activate it by powering up and screaming. So far he never activated it this way, in neither the anime nor manga.

I believe whoever is convinced Goku was trying to activate UI doesn’t understand what the technique is or what directors’ artistic choices are. Next we will hear Broly was Super Saiyan Blue in Movie 8 or he was Rosè and thus was a God because in a certain scene Yamauchi used pink colors.

And of course in the 2008 special Goku was already a Super Saiyan Blue. Oh he is also a Super Saiyan Blue whenever he fires a Kamehameha and he turns blue because of it! And Vegeta uses Super Saiyan Violet when he uses the Galick Gun!
See how silly this sounds?

I also want to remind you that Nagamine, the director, wanted to innovate how transformations are depicted and how DB looks like with this movie, to stray away from the typical look. He finally had the balls to do something a little different, and as he said “to not treat DB as something untouchable” so I hope the fans not understanding his visual choices won’t lead back to them playing it safe with the visuals.
This guy gets it. You pretty much said what I said, but a little less harsh haha
How i predict the tournament will end: