Could Son Gohan Have Equaled Super Buu (Base Form) With Super Saiyan 3?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Could Son Gohan Have Equaled Super Buu (Base Form) With Super Saiyan 3?

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm

1) Do you think if Son Gohan from the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament had the Super Saiyan 3 transformation at his disposal, the first son of Goku would have been able to do the impossible and equal the likes of Super Buu (Base Form)?

2) Do you think if this very same Son Gohan from the World Tournament Saga had trained with Mr. Piccolo and then eventually Son Goten from between the end of the Cell Games and the beginning of the Majin Buu Saga, would have allowed the much more powerful incarnation of Son Gohan to equal Super Buu (Base Form) with the Super Saiyan 3 form? Or do you think even this move is not nearly enough?

3) Do you think if at the time of the Cell Saga, Son Gohan had went in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber not once but twice, with the first time being with the likes of Mr. Piccolo, who was already even stronger than Android 17 from having done Namekian Fusion With Mr. Kami, and the second time being with Son Goku, who was the closest among the Z Fighters rivaling Mr. Piccolo thanks to a Zenkai the Legendary Super Saiyan had from surviving the Heart Virus, then continuing spending the free-time he had outside of studying by training with Son Goku and Mr. Piccolo in the Afterlife for the next seven years before the events of the Majin Buu Saga, would have been enough to allow Son Gohan to equal Super Buu (Base Form) thanks to the Super Saiyan 3 transformation?

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Could Son Gohan Have Equaled Super Buu (Base Form) With Super Saiyan 3?

Post by p-hyvo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:09 pm

No. he needed mystic to compete with super buu

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:47 pm

If Gohan kept up his training then he could've been stronger than Super Boo. Everyone still rags on Gohan about having huge potential and that he doesn't train nearly hard enough. When you think about it, Gohan has only seriously trained a few times in his life; once for the Saiyans, twice for the Androids, thrice for Cell, and a fourth time in DBS. Had Chi Chi not been so strict about Gohan's studies and had Gohan received encouragement to train then he could've been the solution to every arc in the series.
Just imagine if Gohan trained as hard & frequent as his father or Vegeta and was the one who underwent the SSJG ritual, I could actually see a hypothetical BOG Gohan being stronger than ROF SSJB Goku or Golden Freeza.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 am

Mystic/Ultimate Gohan was Gohan with his power drawn out "far beyond its limits." So, effortlessly smacking Super Buu around the way he did was beyond the normal limits of how strong he could get just from training and unlocking Super Saiyan forms... but we don't know exactly where his normal limits would be.

Just taking the Gohan that existed in the Buu saga and giving him SSj3 wouldn't cut it, though, since Goku was stronger than him already and his SSj3 wasn't enough to take on Super Buu (he only barely broke even with Kid Buu, and would've needed to charge up a huge full-power blast to finish him off but SSj3's energy drain wouldn't let him.) So option #1 is definitely a no; this version of SSj3 Gohan would've been weaker than SSj3 Goku, probably able to beat Fat Buu if he's smart and goes all-out right away but that's it.

Option #2 (Gohan who kept up with training seriously after Cell) gives us a vastly more powerful Gohan than what we saw in the Buu saga. Gohan training with Piccolo during those seven years would mean Gohan never loses his Cell Games self's level of power and in fact builds upon it, leading up to unlocking SSj3. Gohan certainly surpasses Buu Saga Goku and Vegeta in this scenario -- those two were only "maybe" stronger than raging Cell Games SSj2 Gohan as it was, while this new-and-improved Gohan started that strong and only got stronger over seven years. He'd also have perfect control over SSj2 rather than struggling to access it. This version of Gohan could very well be twice as strong as his father or Vegeta, perhaps even stronger than that depending on his growth rate over those seven years. He might even be strong enough to take on Fat Buu with only SSj2, which means fighting Super Buu with SSj3 is starting to seem more likely. It all depends on just how much stronger Gohan got during those 7 years, but I'd say it's possible that this Gohan could match Super Buu... but unlikely he could actually destroy him due to SSJ3's disadvantages.

Option #3 is the mother of all run-on sentences... but aside from that, seems to be similar to #2 but with an extra year-day of training thrown in (and randomly training with dead Goku somehow, even though Gohan has no way to go to the afterlife and Goku has no way to come back normally.) Presumably, having a stronger training partner and another day in that room's harsh environment would mean he'd get even stronger than Option #2's Gohan. So the result is similar, but with a low-end estimate similar to Option #2's "could maybe equal but not destroy Super Buu" and a high-end estimate somewhere in the range between SSj3 Gotenks and Ultimate Gohan.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 am

Gohan’s dormant power probably replaces SS3 while making his form more stamina-friendly. So, the match would be a little more close, but Gohan could still win.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:09 pm

If ss3 Goku And Gotenks are comparable to super Buu than so would Gohan ...

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Ssjcell wrote:If ss3 Goku And Gotenks are comparable to super Buu than so would Gohan ...
Notte exactly, it's not how it works.
Plus, goku was never shown to be a match for super buu, and everything let us think he wasn't at all

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:32 pm

p-hyvo wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:If ss3 Goku And Gotenks are comparable to super Buu than so would Gohan ...
Plus, goku was never shown to be a match for super buu, and everything let us think he wasn't at all

I think he could have at least be relativistic to base Super Buu without absorbing anyone. If in SSJ3 against Fat Buu he states he could have beaten him had he used full power, I think he could have managed to fight more on par with him, similar to how he faired against Kid Buu. We only ever saw him try to hold off Buutenks, and even then he was more focused on distracting while trying to get Gohan to fuse with him

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:44 pm

p-hyvo wrote:
There was just an official release similar to a guidebook that states buuhan is equal to ss3 goku

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
There was just an official release similar to a guidebook that states buuhan is equal to ss3 goku
Thats BS. Vjump Is 90% BS, they write things ignoring the manga, what do You think ?
Manga>>vjump as authority on power scaling, and in the manga ssj3 goku <<<super buu

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm

p-hyvo wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
Thats BS. Vjump Is 90% BS, they write things ignoring the manga, what do You think ?
Manga>>vjump as authority on power scaling, and in the manga ssj3 goku <<<super buu
I think unless Goku tricked super Buu or somehow used a spirit bomb he probably would have gotten killed but there's also a school of thought in my mind that ss3 could have stalemated super Buu potentially , he might have been comparable to Gotenks because when asked about Gotenks ss3 by the supreme Kai Goku acts as if his ss3 is at a similiar level. I don't think Goku would be inaccurate about this because it's not in his personality to brag or exaggerate claims. Also goku as a ss3 could be sensed by Gohan in other world , so it's logical that Gotenks and Buu could be sensed from the same distance by Goku. It could then be easily assumed Goku can sense Gotenks and compare his strength as a ss3 to him. Goku was surprised Gotenks had ss3 not of it's power compared to his. I could see goku possibly stalemating or beating super Buu if he can get it done quick. I could also see Goku being exactly where we all thought he was for 20 years or a little higher up . I lean towards him being close to or super buus equal. I feel it's important to note Goku relaxed once Gotenks fusion expired and explained to Gohan there's nothing to worry about now without clarifying that Gohan will be the one fighting Buu now. First off it was never proven Gohan could handle Buu with goten trunks and piccolo absorbed . Second off Gohan was worn out by his fight with Buutenks. So it's even possible Goku was strong enough in his own mind to take on buucollo all these things must be considered in my opinion where do you place Goku?

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Ssjcell wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
Ssjcell wrote: There was just an official release similar to a guidebook that states buuhan is equal to ss3 goku
I think unless Goku tricked super Buu or somehow used a spirit bomb he probably would have gotten killed but there's also a school of thought in my mind that ss3 could have stalemated super Buu potentially , he might have been comparable to Gotenks because when asked about Gotenks ss3 by the supreme Kai Goku acts as if his ss3 is at a similiar level. I don't think Goku would be inaccurate about this because it's not in his personality to brag or exaggerate claims. Also goku as a ss3 could be sensed by Gohan in other world , so it's logical that Gotenks and Buu could be sensed from the same distance by Goku. It could then be easily assumed Goku can sense Gotenks and compare his strength as a ss3 to him. Goku was surprised Gotenks had ss3 not of it's power compared to his. I could see goku possibly stalemating or beating super Buu if he can get it done quick. I could also see Goku being exactly where we all thought he was for 20 years or a little higher up . I lean towards him being close to or super buus equal. I feel it's important to note Goku relaxed once Gotenks fusion expired and explained to Gohan there's nothing to worry about now without clarifying that Gohan will be the one fighting Buu now. First off it was never proven Gohan could handle Buu with goten trunks and piccolo absorbed . Second off Gohan was worn out by his fight with Buutenks. So it's even possible Goku was strong enough in his own mind to take on buucollo all these things must be considered in my opinion where do you place Goku?
Absolutely not. goku himself says that super buu is no match for both himself and Vegeta together, via scaling the difference is too much .said this, buuhan is stronger than super buu, so goku is even less a match for him.
Gohan could definitely handle buuccolo because he's not that stronger that super buu, and super buu was been dominated by Gohan and no, no way goku would have been strong enough to take care of buuccolo

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:15 pm

p-hyvo wrote:
Ssjcell wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
There isn’t such a thing as “authority on powerscalling”. Both the manga and the magazine were published by the same company that owns Dragon Ball, Shueisha.

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm

Hugo Boss wrote:
p-hyvo wrote:
Ssjcell wrote: There was just an official release similar to a guidebook that states buuhan is equal to ss3 goku
There isn’t such a thing as “authority on powerscalling”. Both the manga and the magazine were published by the same company that owns Dragon Ball, Shueisha.
In my eyes, toriyama >>all other sources

If toriyama wrote something, that prevails on everything every exeternal source could say, moreover if that external source contradicts the manga.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 am

p-hyvo wrote:
Hugo Boss wrote:
p-hyvo wrote: Thats BS. Vjump Is 90% BS, they write things ignoring the manga, what do You think ?
In my eyes, toriyama >>all other sources

If toriyama wrote something, that prevails on everything every exeternal source could say, moreover if that external source contradicts the manga.
Toriyama worked extensively on the manga and now on the theatrical movies, but the original story he wrote was supervised by Shueisha and when they were at agreement it came to be. The same kind of decisions happens with the magazine. If there is any authority on the matter is from the people who approve this stuff.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm

When Gohan was training with the sword, his goal was to approach Goku, and the latter said he would show him SSJ3, which ended up not being a thing, or it happened off screen. Gohan had ascended earlier than Goku in the Cell arc when they were nearly equal with SSJ, and Vegeta was stronger than Gohan upon getting SSJ2 unlocked through Babidi and the Majin seal, which was equal to that of Goku even though the latter knew SSJ3 already. What this means is that the characters reach the threshold of transformation at different power levels making them stronger or weaker than one another in the same form.
Vegeta unlocked SSJ later than Goku when the former was stronger than him on Namek.
Gohan unlocked SSJ2 earlier than Goku when the former was weaker than his level in Babidi/Boo.
Gotenks unlocked SSJ3 later than Goku when the former was stronger than him by taking much less time.
Trunks unlocked SSJ2 later than Goku when the latter was equal to him with the third and used the God form.
Goku unlocked Ultra Instincts earlier than Vegeta when the latter was stronger with the Blue form shown in the ToP.
Gohan wouldn't have beaten Evil Boo (Super) with Super Saiyan 3.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Desassina wrote:When Gohan was training with the sword, his goal was to approach Goku, and the latter said he would show him SSJ3, which ended up not being a thing, or it happened off screen. Gohan had ascended earlier than Goku in the Cell arc when they were nearly equal with SSJ, and Vegeta was stronger than Gohan upon getting SSJ2 unlocked through Babidi and the Majin seal, which was equal to that of Goku even though the latter knew SSJ3 already. What this means is that the characters reach the threshold of transformation at different power levels making them stronger or weaker than one another in the same form.
Vegeta unlocked SSJ later than Goku when the former was stronger than him on Namek.
Gohan unlocked SSJ2 earlier than Goku when the former was weaker than his level in Babidi/Boo.
Gotenks unlocked SSJ3 later than Goku when the former was stronger than him by taking much less time.
Trunks unlocked SSJ2 later than Goku when the latter was equal to him with the third and used the God form.
Goku unlocked Ultra Instincts earlier than Vegeta when the latter was stronger with the Blue form shown in the ToP.
Gohan wouldn't have beaten Evil Boo (Super) with Super Saiyan 3.
1) Vegeta might have already reached Super Saiyan 2 by the time of the World Tournament Saga through intense training.

2) Do you think Super Saiyan 3 Son Gohan would have defeated Super Buu (Base Form) after training for an entire year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with a hypothetical living Son Goku?

As since they had just awakened their Super Saiyan 3 forms respectively, both Son Goku and Son Gohan would have a lot of room to improve, such as in trying to master Super Saiyan 3.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:Do you think Super Saiyan 3 Son Gohan would have defeated Super Buu (Base Form) after training for an entire year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with a hypothetical living Son Goku?
Gohan lost to Evil Boo with a more powerful state (ultimate) by getting absorbed. I don't think that the eyebrows of Super Saiyan 3 would let him wear glasses to catch the earring :P

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Desassina wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote:Do you think Super Saiyan 3 Son Gohan would have defeated Super Buu (Base Form) after training for an entire year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with a hypothetical living Son Goku?
Gohan lost to Evil Boo with a more powerful state (ultimate) by getting absorbed. I don't think that the eyebrows of Super Saiyan 3 would let him wear glasses to catch the earring :P
Only some females keep their eyebrows with Super Saiyan 3, such as Note from Dragon Ball Heroes, with the exception of her appearance in the Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission Manga. Not that it is a turn-off mind you, but please answer my question about Son Goku and Son Gohan seriously this time.

Would spending a year or more training in the Room of Spirit and Time with his father have made this Son Gohan strong enough as a Super Saiyan 3 to defeat Super Buu (Base Form)?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Desassina wrote:
Only some females keep their eyebrows with Super Saiyan 3, such as Note from Dragon Ball Heroes, with the exception of her appearance in the Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission Manga. Not that it is a turn-off mind you, but please answer my question about Son Goku and Son Gohan seriously this time.

Would spending a year or more training in the Room of Spirit and Time with his father have made this Son Gohan strong enough as a Super Saiyan 3 to defeat Super Buu (Base Form)?
Dragon Ball Heroes isn't applicable to the actual series. As far as the main continuity is concerned, we have not ever seen a female go SSJ3 so it isn't clear if they would keep their eyebrows.

I don't think he could, but training gains are never consistent so it's incredibly hard to predict. But based on what we know, I don't think he would be able to make up the difference.