Are all these retcons ruining Dragonball ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Are all these retcons ruining Dragonball ?

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm sorry the new material is cool but these retcons are aburd imo. First off bardock, the scene where bardock confronts frieza is IN THE MANGA, yet appearently it never happened. What? No I mean what the fuck? Akira really couldn't have introduced gine without essentially removing that scene or panel from the story? He isn't that creative? Look I don't hate minus necessarily, I like the idea we get to know gokus mom great. But in addition to this Goku is no longer an infant , bardock is this house husband and bardock no longer confronts frieza alright whatever dude. Goku not being an infant is crucial to the story , he has NO memories of his mother and father what ?is he 4 or 5 when he is sent to earth ? How can he not remember anything about them? Why was Goku such a dick to his grandpa if he wasn't meant to take over earth? Was he just a rambunctious little kid? Or something more sinister? And if Goku wasn't supposed to destroy the Earth why was his ship repeating destroy All life on earth? Ok so we can all agree this makes no sense and it's destorying us as fans . Why was this done for the fans? Db minus was essentially just to introduce gine which is nice it really is but at what cost. In all reality Goku is probably never gonna meet his mother and father. So why introduce one and overhaul the other? For the fans...and now we get guidebooks ...yes just what I needed. I didn't need to see Goku vs beerus or whis vs beerus and Goku and Vegeta which would be cool. Not mui goku ,not ssg Gohan , trunks and goten aren't getting any older and this sucks. Why not have some balls and just rewrite the fucking ending? First off fat buu isn't gonna be around by the end of z probably. See new manga material... So that's fucked anyways. Now goten and trunks have to be weaklings for the next 7-10 years...weaklings they were as strong as frieza as 7 year olds...now we all are watching like great goten and trunks can't become stronger than fat Buu after he seperated from his evil self. What so they can't even get ss2 now? That's retarded . Unless Akira changes the ending they're fucked. And how strong is uub becoming , a ten year old boy is gonna be base gokus equal in 7 years his base is gonna be what twice as strong as bog ssg Goku? Probably might already be now if you think bout it. Anyways if your not gonna do that don't reconn shit! Stop the retcons ! Ok earlier I mentioned guidebooks while some might find them interesting and useful , I never particularly liked or needed a guidebook it should not be used when you can come to a more precise conclusion by analyzing the manga and series . What I am mostly referencing is the new material being released that say once Buu absorbs Gohan he becomes EQUAL to ss3 Goku. What ? Ok maybe Goku from bog I guess I could see him doubling or tripling his power in the time between buu's defeat and beerus awaking. But no Buu saga Goku, unless Goku is trying to protect Vegeta from his pride hurting him which is a stupid reason to risk all life in the universe in itself . Goku does do this in his fight with Vegeta although that can be explained away as Goku not wanting to use up his time on earth with Buu on deck . Even though he throws his rusty son to the wolves while he fights be Vegeta. Whatever at least he has confidence in his son to fight dabura I did too he just ate a senzu he didn't use ss2 vs dabura so there's no reason to believe he can't handle him with the Kai as backup. It's still irresponsible but he may not have had a choice although wouldn't it be refreshing if Goku said you know what this guy just blew up half a football stadium and part of a city Gohan let's get this fucker. But he doesn't. Whatever. This brings me to my point goku was scared shitless of super Buu . He on several occasions says there's no way for Goku AND Vegeta to beat super Buu without fusing, even when inside Buu Goku says we without fusion will probably get killed . Now I know he says probably, but still he has a catious fear of the guy . Only after seeing Buu revert to kid Buu goku and Vegeta act as if they have a shot , I believe they said they could manage something now . There's no way super sayain 3 Goku could beat super Buu. At least that's what is shown in the manga . Tops before this guidebook I would say goku was roughly 50 percent Gotenks with hints he could be closer to equal certainly we were never lead to think it's even possible to be close gohan. Who was the god of Dragonball . An unfused character that can fuck up super Buu wow incredible. Goku being stronger than Gohan is a RETCON simple as that. Look ok I could be convinced Goku could hold off super Buu maybe even gain an edge before Goku runs out of power. Gohan destroyed Buu, embarrassed and decimated the guy. These retcons are getting out of hand and they are destroying the integrity of Dragonball by changing things bout the story that haven't been argued for 20 years. What do you guys think?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Are all these retcons ruining Dragonball ?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I typically just stick to Classic Dragon Ball content (DB, DBZ, DBGT) so even if anything changes it doesn't bother me as what matters most to me is if it's enjoyable or not. It kinda sucks that Goku's past was changed on the DBS movie but for me, Goku is that monkey boy who was picked up by Grandpa Gohan and then became the stupidly immature guy everyone loves. :P

What actually does somewhat annoy me, is that Vegeta was converted to a complete softy and he used to be a really aggressive, cold-blooded and badass character. Majin Vegeta and Duplicate Vegeta were at least the last few times we got some of the old Vegeta back. Vegeta seems to be Goku's partner nowadays, sorta like Batman & Robin.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

I would not go as far as to say they are ruining it (at least not now), but they are certainly annoying. If only retcons in Dragon Ball were made to a greater purpose, but nope... They happen just of the sake of it, no real meaning behind, no actual reason for them to happen. They just happen, and that is not cool. Silly things are changed and for what?

Give me one good reason to change planet Vegeta's color or Buu's origins.
Last edited by Grimlock on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Buddy you should really learn to format your post. A block of text is annoying to read and just looks bad.
Grimlock wrote:I would not go as far as to say they are ruining it (at least not now), but they are certainly annoying. If only retcons in Dragon Ball were made to a greater purpose, but nope... They happen just of the sake of it, no real meaning behind, no actual reason for them to happen. They just happen, and that is not cool.
Agreed. They're just making changes for the sake of it.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm

The thing is, a lot of the content that's being retconed so to speak was technically never canon to begin with. The Toei writing staff created a lot of original material but ultimately what Toriyama put in the manga is what's canon. He's fully aware that he's prone to inconsistencies but after a decade and a half of drawing weekly manga at the mercy of his editors, I think he's earned all of the creative freedom he wants.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Buddy you should really learn to format your post. A block of text is annoying to read and just looks bad.
Grimlock wrote:I would not go as far as to say they are ruining it (at least not now), but they are certainly annoying. If only retcons in Dragon Ball were made to a greater purpose, but nope... They happen just of the sake of it, no real meaning behind, no actual reason for them to happen. They just happen, and that is not cool.
Agreed. They're just making changes for the sake of it.
I am using a phone on the formating but I feel my points are valid

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:40 pm

You could argue Super is one giant retcon. Goku asks for Buu to be reincarnated because he wants a good fight against the most powerful being he had ever faced. However, in light of the news that Buu is nowhere near as powerful as numerous characters, the manga's ending doesn't work.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Topic Creator, could you please please please divide that HUMONGOUS WALL OF TEXT into paragraphs, Its impossible to read otherwise.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Topic Creator, could you please please please divide that HUMONGOUS WALL OF TEXT into paragraphs, Its impossible to read otherwise.
I got'chu, fam.
Ssjcell wrote:I'm sorry, the new material is cool, but these retcons are absurd IMO.

First off, Bardock.
The scene where bardock confronts Freeza is IN THE MANGA, yet appearently it never happened... What? No I mean what the fuck? Toriyama really couldn't have introduced Gine without essentially removing that scene or panel from the story? He isn't that creative?
Look, I don't hate Minus necessarily; I like the idea we get to know Goku's mom -- great!
But in addition to this, Goku is no longer an infant, and Bardock is this house husband who no longer confronts Freeza...

Alright; whatever, dude.

Goku not being an infant is crucial to the story; he has NO memories of his mother and father... What?
Is he 4 or 5 when he is sent to Earth? How can he not remember anything about them? Why was Goku such a dick to his grandpa if he wasn't meant to take over Earth? Was he just a rambunctious little kid? Or something more sinister? And if Goku wasn't supposed to destroy the Earth, then why was his ship repeating "Destroy all life on Earth"?

Okay, so we can all agree this makes no sense, and it's destorying us as fans. Why was this done to the fans? DB Minus was essentially just to introduce Gine, which is nice -- it really is, -- but at what cost?
Realistically, Goku is probably never gonna meet his mother and father, so why introduce one and overhaul the other?... For the fans... And now we get guidebooks... Yes, just what I needed... I didn't need to see Goku vs Beerus or Whis vs Beerus, Goku, and Vegeta, which would be cool.
Not MUI Goku, not SSG Gohan, Trunks and Goten aren't getting any older, and this sucks.
Why not have some balls and just rewrite the fucking ending? First off, fat Boo isn't gonna be around by the end of Z, probably. See the new manga material... So that's fucked anyways. Now, Goten and Trunks have to be weaklings for the next 7-10 years... Weaklings who were as strong as Freeza as 7-year-olds... Now we all are watching like "Great... Goten and Trunks will never be stronger than fat Boo after he seperated from his evil half." What, so they can't even get SS2 now? That's retarded.
Unless Toriyama changes the ending, they're fucked. And how strong is Oob becoming? A ten-year-old boy is gonna be base Goku's equal in 7 years? His base is gonna be, what, twice as strong as Battle Of Gods-era SSG Goku? Probably might already be now if you think about it...

Anyways if your not gonna do that don't recon shit! Stop the retcons!

Okay, earlier I mentioned guidebooks... While some might find them interesting and useful, I never particularly liked or needed a guidebook -- It should not be needed when you can come to a more precise conclusion by analysing the manga and anime.
What I am mostly referencing is the new material being released that say once Boo absorbs Gohan he became EQUAL to SS3 Goku.
What?
Okay, maybe Goku from Battle Of Gods; I guess I could see him doubling or tripling his power in the time between Boo's defeat and Beerus's awaking. But not Boo arc Goku, unless Goku is trying to protect Vegeta from his pride hurting him, which is a stupid reason to risk all life in the universe in and of itself.
Goku does do this in his fight with Vegeta, although that can be explained away as Goku not wanting to use up his time on earth with Boo on deck, even though he throws his rusty son to the wolves while he fights Vegeta. Whatever, at least he has confidence in his son to fight Dabura. I did too -- he just ate a senzu.
Gohan didn't use SS2 vs Dabura so there's no reason to believe he can't handle him with the Kaioshin as backup. It's still irresponsible, but he may not have had a choice, although wouldn't it be refreshing if Goku said "You know what, this guy just blew up half a football stadium, and part of a city; Gohan, let's get this fucker." But he doesn't.

Whatever.

This brings me to my point; Goku was scared shitless of Super Boo. On several occasions, he says there's no way for Goku or Vegeta to beat Super Boo without fusing, even when inside Boo, Goku says "Without fusion, we will probably get killed." Now, I know he says probably, but still he has a cautious fear of the guy.
Only after seeing Boo revert to kid Boo do Goku and Vegeta act as if they have a shot; I believe they said they could manage something now.
There's no way Super Sayain 3 Goku could beat Super Boo. At least, that's what is shown in the manga. Tops, before this guidebook, I would say Goku was roughly 50% of Gotenks, with hints he could be closer to equal. Certainly, we were never lead to think it was even possible to be close to Gohan, who was the god of Dragon Ball. An unfused character that can fuck up Super Boo? Wow, incredible!

Goku being stronger than Gohan is a RETCON, simple as that.

Look, okay, I could be convinced Goku could hold off Super Boo, maybe even gain an edge before Goku runs out of power. Gohan destroyed Boo -- embarrassed, and decimated the guy.
These retcons are getting out of hand and they are destroying the integrity of Dragon Ball by changing things about the story that haven't been argued for 20 years.
What do you guys think?
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:13 am

Wow thanks! No wonder you are one of my fave members!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 am

Thanks robo my bad guys I just get so upset cause of these retcons

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:00 am

Ssjcell wrote:Thanks robo my bad guys I just get so upset cause of these retcons
No worries, buddy.

Sometimes, each and every one of us just has a moment where we have to just rant from the heart for a moment of singular fury. :D
Just try to break up your paragraphs in future, and it'll be just a touch more readable for everyone. :)
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Wow thanks! No wonder you are one of my fave members!
Haha, right back at ya, man. :)

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 am

Ssjcell wrote:I'm sorry the new material is cool but these retcons are aburd imo. First off bardock, the scene where bardock confronts frieza is IN THE MANGA, yet appearently it never happened. What? No I mean what the fuck? Akira really couldn't have introduced gine without essentially removing that scene or panel from the story? He isn't that creative? Look I don't hate minus necessarily, I like the idea we get to know gokus mom great. But in addition to this Goku is no longer an infant , bardock is this house husband and bardock no longer confronts frieza alright whatever dude. Goku not being an infant is crucial to the story , he has NO memories of his mother and father what ?is he 4 or 5 when he is sent to earth ? How can he not remember anything about them? Why was Goku such a dick to his grandpa if he wasn't meant to take over earth? Was he just a rambunctious little kid? Or something more sinister? And if Goku wasn't supposed to destroy the Earth why was his ship repeating destroy All life on earth? Ok so we can all agree this makes no sense and it's destorying us as fans . Why was this done for the fans? Db minus was essentially just to introduce gine which is nice it really is but at what cost. In all reality Goku is probably never gonna meet his mother and father. So why introduce one and overhaul the other? For the fans...and now we get guidebooks ...yes just what I needed. I didn't need to see Goku vs beerus or whis vs beerus and Goku and Vegeta which would be cool. Not mui goku ,not ssg Gohan , trunks and goten aren't getting any older and this sucks. Why not have some balls and just rewrite the fucking ending? First off fat buu isn't gonna be around by the end of z probably. See new manga material... So that's fucked anyways. Now goten and trunks have to be weaklings for the next 7-10 years...weaklings they were as strong as frieza as 7 year olds...now we all are watching like great goten and trunks can't become stronger than fat Buu after he seperated from his evil self. What so they can't even get ss2 now? That's retarded . Unless Akira changes the ending they're fucked. And how strong is uub becoming , a ten year old boy is gonna be base gokus equal in 7 years his base is gonna be what twice as strong as bog ssg Goku? Probably might already be now if you think bout it. Anyways if your not gonna do that don't reconn shit! Stop the retcons ! Ok earlier I mentioned guidebooks while some might find them interesting and useful , I never particularly liked or needed a guidebook it should not be used when you can come to a more precise conclusion by analyzing the manga and series . What I am mostly referencing is the new material being released that say once Buu absorbs Gohan he becomes EQUAL to ss3 Goku. What ? Ok maybe Goku from bog I guess I could see him doubling or tripling his power in the time between buu's defeat and beerus awaking. But no Buu saga Goku, unless Goku is trying to protect Vegeta from his pride hurting him which is a stupid reason to risk all life in the universe in itself . Goku does do this in his fight with Vegeta although that can be explained away as Goku not wanting to use up his time on earth with Buu on deck . Even though he throws his rusty son to the wolves while he fights be Vegeta. Whatever at least he has confidence in his son to fight dabura I did too he just ate a senzu he didn't use ss2 vs dabura so there's no reason to believe he can't handle him with the Kai as backup. It's still irresponsible but he may not have had a choice although wouldn't it be refreshing if Goku said you know what this guy just blew up half a football stadium and part of a city Gohan let's get this fucker. But he doesn't. Whatever. This brings me to my point goku was scared shitless of super Buu . He on several occasions says there's no way for Goku AND Vegeta to beat super Buu without fusing, even when inside Buu Goku says we without fusion will probably get killed . Now I know he says probably, but still he has a catious fear of the guy . Only after seeing Buu revert to kid Buu goku and Vegeta act as if they have a shot , I believe they said they could manage something now . There's no way super sayain 3 Goku could beat super Buu. At least that's what is shown in the manga . Tops before this guidebook I would say goku was roughly 50 percent Gotenks with hints he could be closer to equal certainly we were never lead to think it's even possible to be close gohan. Who was the god of Dragonball . An unfused character that can fuck up super Buu wow incredible. Goku being stronger than Gohan is a RETCON simple as that. Look ok I could be convinced Goku could hold off super Buu maybe even gain an edge before Goku runs out of power. Gohan destroyed Buu, embarrassed and decimated the guy. These retcons are getting out of hand and they are destroying the integrity of Dragonball by changing things bout the story that haven't been argued for 20 years. What do you guys think?

the bardock scene comes out in the manga and the movie
-bardock if he goes out into space to face frieza dies because of the attack when they collide
bardock showed his courage by going to face Frieza even though he knew he would lose
that he worries about his son and that he does not have useless psychic visions does not change that he was still a warrior
-In the manga you never see goku as a baby coming to earth
and also it is not clear with that roshi says that goku was a boy when he came to earth but raditz said they sent babies depends on who you pay attention to both
-It is 3 years old which is more logical since as a baby it could not survive on its own and if the other saiyans have it depends on elderly people who raise them very badly about their method of invasion.
No, you do not have to remember that the blow to the head is still a canon.
What about the ship? It's filler.
yep. BUT
dragon ball had many guides and there were many where they said things without much sense, others with the power of mr popo was close to raditz take it with humor?
but never is mentioned it in manga or anime

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 am

Tai Lung wrote:dragon ball had many guides and there were many where they said things without much sense
Quite. Wasn't there that one guide that charted out the time travel in the Cell arc, which was totally wrong?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:55 am

Wow we've finally done it the word retcon has been misused so much it now means nothing in this fandom. Goku being stronger than Gohan now is a retcon? Wha?

It was never explicitly stated Gohan was for one and secondly Goku kept training Gohan didn't it's really not that much of an issue, Gohan did also get weak post Cell arc in the original sacred text so that surely must be a retcon too right? Just like how Portara was retconned immediately and people just accepted it with little explanation but when we get an actual legitimate explanation that makes a bit more sense people start acting like Portara was ruined even though it was ruined the moment it wss introduced.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 am

I don't think this is the franchise to complain about retcons when the original manga was such a "making it up as he goes along" affair. And besides, what's the point of having new stuff if you're not going to...do new things?

Plus, so much of media criticism has moved on from cataloguing retcons and plot-holes. Slavish devotion to logical minutia is one of those really immature habits nerd-dom needs to grow out of, because 90 per cent of the time it's just obsessing over irrelevant crap that doesn't actually harm the story. That's why it's a waste of time to argue about power levels. All you're doing is suspending enjoyment for the sake of making sure everything adds up in the invisible spreadsheet you've got in your head. The creators weren't thinking about your spreadsheet, they were too busy trying to make the fight exciting.

DB Minus is the big example of a retcon that is harmful to the themes of the original work (or rather the original TV spin-off), but even then I personally think it's overblown. All it does is turn Goku's backstory from a subversive Superman ripoff ("what if Jor-El didn't love Kal-El?") to a straight Superman ripoff.

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Wow we've finally done it the word retcon has been misused so much it now means nothing in this fandom. Goku being stronger than Gohan now is a retcon? Wha?

It was never explicitly stated Gohan was for one and secondly Goku kept training Gohan didn't it's really not that much of an issue, Gohan did also get weak post Cell arc in the original sacred text so that surely must be a retcon too right? Just like how Portara was retconned immediately and people just accepted it with little explanation but when we get an actual legitimate explanation that makes a bit more sense people start acting like Portara was ruined even though it was ruined the moment it wss introduced.
For 20 years no one thought goku was stronger than Gohan, that's a retcon.
Goku didn't want any part of Buutenks now he is stronger than buuhan? Just because a guide said so 20 years after it was written come on man. Buuhan is incredibly stronger than Goku at that point , I don't care if he trains after the fight. Obviously he trains after the fight and Gohan doesn't, that's not the point.
The point is that buuhan is way stronger than Goku at the time of the crisis.
These writers treat us like they just want to see our fucking reaction at this point. Yeah just say Goku Buu saga is as strong as buuhan. Fuck it they'll like that even though the story contradicts this based on goku's behavior on every level.
Yeah let's just say m8 broly is the strongest movie villian ever even though janemba is stronger. Whatever a lot of people love broly what not say that? Because it's retarded and we just accept it and debate on it even though it's nonsense.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 am

Kataphrut wrote:I don't think this is the franchise to complain about retcons when the original manga was such a "making it up as he goes along" affair. And besides, what's the point of having new stuff if you're not going to...do new things?

Plus, so much of media criticism has moved on from cataloguing retcons and plot-holes. Slavish devotion to logical minutia is one of those really immature habits nerd-dom needs to grow out of, because 90 per cent of the time it's just obsessing over irrelevant crap that doesn't actually harm the story. That's why it's a waste of time to argue about power levels. All you're doing is suspending enjoyment for the sake of making sure everything adds up in the invisible spreadsheet you've got in your head. The creators weren't thinking about your spreadsheet, they were too busy trying to make the fight exciting.

DB Minus is the big example of a retcon that is harmful to the themes of the original work (or rather the original TV spin-off), but even then I personally think it's overblown. All it does is turn Goku's backstory from a subversive Superman ripoff ("what if Jor-El didn't love Kal-El?") to a straight Superman ripoff.
While I agree that some people can be nitpicky, "making things as he goes along" doesn't justify logical inconsistency.

There are new things and then there's overwriting existing information.

We should be clear what a retcon is - it's when something previously established is overwritten. It's as though the author is saying, "Yeah, it was always that way. Didn't you know that?"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 am

Kataphrut wrote:I don't think this is the franchise to complain about retcons when the original manga was such a "making it up as he goes along" affair. And besides, what's the point of having new stuff if you're not going to...do new things?

Can I favorite this post?

I’m also from the opinion that retcons aren’t THAT harmful. And there are things that were never established to begin with for some people labelling them as retcon. Even the part of Bardock not confronting Freeza isn’t really so different from the original manga, you just don’t see them interacting and Bardock has a slightly different outfit. Bardock even puts a frail resistance, but a resistance nonetheless.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am

Ssjcell wrote:I'm sorry the new material is cool but these retcons are aburd imo. First off bardock, the scene where bardock confronts frieza is IN THE MANGA, yet appearently it never happened.
That's false. Who said it didn't happen?