What was happening in Dragon Ball on your birth week?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Re: What was happening in Dragon Ball on your birth week?

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:36 am

The Black Star Dragon Ball arc :D

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 am

Doctor. wrote:"Dragon Ball Z: The Greatest Dragon Ball Legend is a fighting game produced and released by Bandai on May 31, 1996 in Japan, released for the Sega Saturn and PlayStation. Greatest Hits versions were released on June 20, 1997 for the Saturn and June 27, 1997 for the PlayStation."

Neat, I guess.
It's funny you say this, since I was also born in June of 1997, only 9 days before you were. I was born on the same day GT #49 (the Liang Xing Long/Haze Shenron episode) aired in Japan, which feels weird since I can't say I was born on the same day as an episode of the Simpsons or something, since most western shows are on break during June-August. Looking back, Ocean, Saban and Funi probably also would have been working on their dub of the Namek Saga the week I was born, since It began airing in September of 97, following the completion of the Saiyan Saga on TV in May of that year.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Bump, but eh whatever. On the week I was born, Dragon Ball Z premiered in syndication in the USA. Here's a blurb about it from my local paper

[quote="Richmond Times-Dispatch September 7, 1996 "Cartoon Superheros Take on Alien Forces," Katherine Phillips"]
* ``Dragon Ball Z,'' one of Japan's top-rated cartoon series, combines mysticism and zowie special effects to tell a tale of good vs. evil, at 7:30 a.m. Saturdays on WAWB-Channel 65, beginning next Saturday[/quote]
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:29 pm

I'll play too! When I was born... Akira Toriyama was just about to release Wonder Island #1 for Weekly Shonen Jump, his very first manga!

That apparently makes me quite old.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

I was born one month and a half before the release of "Bulma and Son Goku". When my wife was born, Piccolo Daimaoh had just take over the world in the manga, and in the anime, Yamcha was battling Tenshinhan.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 pm

I love how this thread keeps jumping up every few weeks. :D

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 am

I was born in late July of 1994, so let's see what was going on in the Dragon Ball universe with regard to both the manga serialization and anime broadcast at that point in time.

Manga: My birth fell during the break in Chapter 480, "The Fusion is Completed at Last!!" and 481, "The Earth Army's Secret Weapon" which premiered in Weeky Shonen Jump 1994 issues #34 and #35 respectively. So i came right after Goten and Trunks had finally mastered the Fusion technique and became the warrior Gotenks.

Anime: My birth was in between DBZ episode 234, "The Terrifying Majin!! Gohan's Approaching Fear of Death" on July 27th and episode 235, "Gonna Eat'cha!! A Hungry Majin's Supernatural Power on August 3rd. At that point it was in the middle of Fat Buu's and Babidi's (and Dabura's) continued reign of terror on Earth.

Fancy that, as i came into the world the Buu arc was in full swing over in Japan. :D
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am, edited 7 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 am

Goku was fixing (gluing) his spaceship on the way to Namek (anime), and Vegeta was facing off against Recoome (manga). I was lucky enough to get that issue of Jump and a cel from the episode :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:45 am

mute_proxy wrote:Goku was fixing (gluing) his spaceship on the way to Namek (anime), and Vegeta was facing off against Recoome (manga). I was lucky enough to get that issue of Jump and a cel from the episode :thumbup:
That's awesome! Always wanted a good Kid Goku cell.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:49 am

KBABZ wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:Goku was fixing (gluing) his spaceship on the way to Namek (anime), and Vegeta was facing off against Recoome (manga). I was lucky enough to get that issue of Jump and a cel from the episode :thumbup:
Oops I already posted here before, and said the manga was when Guldo got decapitated, now I'm confused :?

Why don't you buy one?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 am

mute_proxy wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Oops I already posted here before, and said the manga was when Guldo got decapitated, now I'm confused :?

Why don't you buy one?
Every time I look there aren't any! It's almost always Z stuff. Any good places to have bookmarked?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

KBABZ wrote: Every time I look there aren't any! It's almost always Z stuff. Any good places to have bookmarked?
I bought mine on eBay from a guy named josjosemuld a year ago, but he's not selling anything anymore. Just checked eBay, you're right, there's nothing for a decent price, everything >300

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 pm

March 13th, 1990. Episode 40 of Dragon Ball Z, "Honest to Goodness? There Lies Namek, Planet of Hope" aired a day later on March 14th.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Me nothing I was born before Dragon Ball started :D

A hint I was born sometimes between Firestarter release date and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in USA :thumbup:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Me nothing I was born before Dragon Ball started :D

A hint I was born sometimes between Firestarter release date and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom in USA :thumbup:
So you were born in 1984, i assume based on those two films having come out in the course of the year, the first chapter of Dragon Ball premiered in Weekly Shonen Jump #51 on November 20th of that year. I'm guessing you came into the world well before that point.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

So you were born in 1984, i assume based on those two films having come out in the course of the year, the first chapter of Dragon Ball premiered in Weekly Shonen Jump #51 on November 20th of that year. I'm guessing you came into the world well before that point.
Yup indeed :D May 14th for being accurate. 1984 was a good year for the movie industrie.

-Police Academy
-Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
-Romancing the Stone
-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
-Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
-Ghostbusters
-Gremlins
-The Karate Kid
-Conan the Destroyer
-Amadeus
-The Terminator
-Supergirl
-Dune

Somehow all those movie can define me in some way, but let's not digress in topic when I was born Dragon Ball didn't existed yet. :wink:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Yup indeed :D May 14th for being accurate. 1984 was a good year for the movie industrie.

-Police Academy
-Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes
-Romancing the Stone
-Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
-Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
-Ghostbusters
-Gremlins
-The Karate Kid
-Conan the Destroyer
-Amadeus
-The Terminator
-Supergirl
-Dune

Somehow all those movie can define me in some way, but let's not digress in topic when I was born Dragon Ball didn't existed yet. :wink:
Yeah, if your birth was in May then it was just about six months prior to Dragon Ball's official debut in Weekly Shonen Jump which was on November 20th, 1984. That's interesting how you came into the world when it wasn't even a thing in Japan yet, heck Dr. Slump had not even finished it's serialization in Jump as it ran until September 10th of that year.

It's interesting to see people here in this thread who were born prior to Dragon Ball existing in any capacity, be it the manga or anime. I came in 1994 so it was while both of them were still going on, as the manga didn't wrap up it's serialization until May 1995 and DBZ continued airing until episode 291 on January 31, 1996.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Manga: First chapter of Uranai Baba arc.

Anime: Goku fought with Metallic.