Dragon Ball 2019 Predictions Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Dragon Ball 2019 Predictions Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Just like with the Kanzenshuu podcast, lets see some predictions. Here are some if you want to see some:
https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu/status/1 ... 1102131200

Tv anime: DBS 2.0 gets announced today/tomorrow (January 9th/10th in US and the 10th in Japan right now; you know how time zones work) during the special DBS Broly screening (the one Nozawa is going to be at). DBS comes back in April (July the latest) under the Shintani style from the movie with it starting with the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Arc (although this is mostly wishful thinking). I would also want a tv retelling of Broly with the 3 hour script but it doesn’t seem likely. No movie is announced. Toei may hire a head writer/chief writer in charge of overseeing the writing of every episode to keep consistency and increase quality (or at least doing something to fix the writing problems).

Games: SDBH World Mission gets localized. Neither the DBHeroes arcade game gets localized nor Zenkai Battle Royale (lol) gets a port for consoles. Either XV3 or a DB Action-RPG with open world elements gets announced for early 2020.

Manga: Toyotaro proceeds to have more and more control over the DBS manga (or DBS in general) being able to give his own ideas and make Toyo-original story arcs (the Galactic Patrol Prisoner might even be one of them). The manga and anime will merge together and keep consistency with one another. IF the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc is animated and/or the Broly movie gets a retelling as an arc in the tv anime, Toyo and the manga will stay ahead of the anime for at least the rest of the year (hopefully forever). There will be at least one new spin-off manga announced.

Stories: This may happen in 2020 instead but I'm gonna say we get a Planet Sadala or U6 centered arc (in which Caulifla gets at least SSJ3). Super goes to the end of Z. SSJ4 gets canonized in some way. Something else from the “non-canon” part of DB will be adapted into DBS in some way.

Crackpot guess: Either a Crisis on Infinite Earths situation happens and all these continuities crossover and its not a DBHeroes thing OR Universes 13 to 18 come back OR Jiren’s Evil Doer leads into some kinda Demon Realm or Demon-centric arc, OR we get a Zalama the Dragon God reveal, OR we get Evil Angel shit OR we get Kale and Broly meeting and maybe even a fight. Again, this is a crackpot guess.

Again, despite the “2019” in the title, I believe some of this stuff may very well carry into 2020.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball 2019 Predictions Thread

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:30 pm

DBS comes back in July , we get a 20 episode retelling of Broly and then go into brand new story arcs that are not Sadala or u11 (I think those visits/reunions will be Anime only mini arcs). I actually think the time traveler from u12 will come into play in one of the arcs

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:38 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:DBS comes back in July , we get a 20 episode retelling of Broly and then go into brand new story arcs that are not Sadala or u11 (I think those visits/reunions will be Anime only mini arcs). I actually think the time traveler from u12 will come into play in one of the arcs
I actually see the u12 time traveler having a better chance as a Toyo-original arc since it seems as though he was the one who added that extra piece of info to the manga
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:11 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:DBS comes back in July , we get a 20 episode retelling of Broly and then go into brand new story arcs that are not Sadala or u11 (I think those visits/reunions will be Anime only mini arcs). I actually think the time traveler from u12 will come into play in one of the arcs
A 20 episode retelling of Broly may be a bit much. But yeah, after that we''ll definitely get brand new arcs like the one with Moro that is currently being depicted in the manga. (Obviously Moro will also appear in the anime)

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Toyo getting control over the Super anime is legit one of my biggest nightmares.

:thumbdown:

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:29 pm

ZombieVito wrote:Toyo getting control over the Super anime is legit one of my biggest nightmares.

For you and me both.....

But the Moro arc can be depicted in the anime without necessarily being a strict adaptation of the manga, so that's encouraging. With that being said, I think Toyotaro is doing a surprisingly good job with that arc so far.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:26 am

PFM18 wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:Toyo getting control over the Super anime is legit one of my biggest nightmares.

For you and me both.....

But the Moro arc can be depicted in the anime without necessarily being a strict adaptation of the manga, so that's encouraging. With that being said, I think Toyotaro is doing a surprisingly good job with that arc so far.
I unfortunately have to be the third to agree. While I like some of Toyotaro's ideas and his conservative and more consistent power scaling, I just don't find his writing to be very satisfying. Most of his interesting ideas never really go anywhere or feel fleshed out, like Trunks being a Kaioshin apprentice and most of his arcs just end up feeling flat by the end, even when I like them. I just find it boring most months or absolutely horrible like 70% of the ToP chapters.

I think Toei overall has much better writers, but they need a more consistent showrunner or "lorekeeper" for lack of a better term.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

Anime: Super returning announcement to happen sometime this year. I speculate based on recent posts and merchandise trends that it should be around July or June if it does return

Manga: Toyotaro continues on with his original ideas. While i'd like this Galactic Patrol arc to become a big thing, it honestly feels very filler-ish to me, and I could see a bigger arc coming into play later in the year, most likely including Broly

Video Games: Hopefully the recent tomfoolery of the tournament cancellations doesn't hurt a Fighterz DLC Season 2, as I still would like to see several characters added to the game. While I'm interested in SDBH World Mission, I won't jump onboard that hype train until it's confirmed localized. Which seems likely, if not a subbed version of the game without region locking. Thanks, Switch.

I'd also like for an announcement for the next big Dragonball Game (whether Xenoverse 3 or another project) announced before the end of Q2 2019, if not during E3, and if not those times during November/December of this year for a late next year release

Storylines: Again, this is hard to guess. But I could see a storyline dealing with U6 happening. I could also see something come into play with the other universes that we did not see in the ToP.

Hopes and Dreams: 2018 was a huge year for Dragonball. The new movie has been great for it's popularity (I saw a post that it's poised to beat out Aquaman as the #1 premiere weekend in Mexico which is insane to me). For as much grief and flack it's gotten (and rightly so), I've enjoyed the Dragonball Heroes promotional anime. I just want to see more and new with Dragonball. I want to see where we will go from our new world with the likes of Broly in it, with other characters appearing, and what new stories and moments we will get in 2019. It's a hyped time to be a Dragonball fan, and I'm loving every second of it

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Welp. I was wrong about my prediction that DBS would be announced at the DBS Broly screening with Nozawa.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:56 pm

BWri wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

For you and me both.....

I unfortunately have to be the third to agree. While I like some of Toyotaro's ideas and his conservative and more consistent power scaling, I just don't find his writing to be very satisfying. Most of his interesting ideas never really go anywhere or feel fleshed out, like Trunks being a Kaioshin apprentice and most of his arcs just end up feeling flat by the end, even when I like them. I just find it boring most months or absolutely horrible like 70% of the ToP chapters.

I think Toei overall has much better writers, but they need a more consistent showrunner or "lorekeeper" for lack of a better term.
The anime, when it returns, just needs a good series composer for the long haul. Because of how much of a rush job Super was right out the gate -- the show had only 2 months of pre-production -- Toei were juggling around different series composers who had different directions they wanted to take Super. The show had five different series composers over the course of 131 episodes. In comparison, Dragon Ball Z, over the course of it's near 300 episode life span, just had two series composers. The lack of time they had to plan the anime fucked up everything before an episode was even animated. It didn't help that at the time they decided Super would be a thing that Toei's resources were being heavily stretched with other projects on their plate. It's nothing short of miracle that they were able to turn things around by the Future Trunk arc aired.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
BWri wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
For you and me both.....

The anime, when it returns, just needs a good series composer for the long haul. Because of how much of a rush job Super was right out the gate -- the show had only 2 months of pre-production -- Toei were juggling around different series composers who had different directions they wanted to take Super. The show had five different series composers over the course of 131 episodes. In comparison, Dragon Ball Z, over the course of it's near 300 episode life span, just had two series composers. The lack of time they had to plan the anime fucked up everything before an episode was even animated. It didn't help that at the time they decided Super would be a thing that Toei's resources were being heavily stretched with other projects on their plate. It's nothing short of miracle that they were able to turn things around by the Future Trunk arc aired.
Bandai and Fuji TV really forced Super to happen but that’s not what I want to talk about. I’m more concerned that Super may not come until late 2019 or Early 2020. With both ASDs in Ide and Tsuji on different shows ( Ide is on One Piece and Tsuji on Heroes), I think October or 2020 is becoming more likely. I hope that Super 2.0 improves if we ever find out when it is coming out.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:13 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
BWri wrote: I unfortunately have to be the third to agree. While I like some of Toyotaro's ideas and his conservative and more consistent power scaling, I just don't find his writing to be very satisfying. Most of his interesting ideas never really go anywhere or feel fleshed out, like Trunks being a Kaioshin apprentice and most of his arcs just end up feeling flat by the end, even when I like them. I just find it boring most months or absolutely horrible like 70% of the ToP chapters.

Bandai and Fuji TV really forced Super to happen but that’s not what I want to talk about. I’m more concerned that Super may not come until late 2019 or Early 2020. With both ASDs in Ide and Tsuji on different shows ( Ide is on One Piece and Tsuji on Heroes), I think October or 2020 is becoming more likely. I hope that Super 2.0 improves if we ever find out when it is coming out.
According to Ajay, Super storyboarding pre-production started in October. Storyboarding happens after script. I dont see them i dont see them doing 13+ (for October 2019) or 16+ (for Jan 2020) months of pre-production. Thats a little overkill.

I think July is the latest with April being the most likely month.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: The anime, when it returns, just needs a good series composer for the long haul. Because of how much of a rush job Super was right out the gate -- the show had only 2 months of pre-production -- Toei were juggling around different series composers who had different directions they wanted to take Super. The show had five different series composers over the course of 131 episodes. In comparison, Dragon Ball Z, over the course of it's near 300 episode life span, just had two series composers. The lack of time they had to plan the anime fucked up everything before an episode was even animated. It didn't help that at the time they decided Super would be a thing that Toei's resources were being heavily stretched with other projects on their plate. It's nothing short of miracle that they were able to turn things around by the Future Trunk arc aired.
According to Ajay, Super storyboarding pre-production started in October. Storyboarding happens after script. I dont see them i dont see them doing 13+ (for October 2019) or 16+ (for Jan 2020) months of pre-production. Thats a little overkill.

I think July is the latest with April being the most likely month.
What Ajay said about the October thing is more of conflicting info he’s just been hearing. So its not 100%

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: According to ..., Super storyboarding pre-production started in October. Storyboarding happens after script. I dont see them i dont see them doing 13+ (for October 2019) or 16+ (for Jan 2020) months of pre-production. Thats a little overkill.
Pre-production storyboarding ? What’s that ?

https://comicsverse.com/anime-production/
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm

He should be fired, seriously.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm

prince212 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: According to ..., Super storyboarding pre-production started in October. Storyboarding happens after script. I dont see them i dont see them doing 13+ (for October 2019) or 16+ (for Jan 2020) months of pre-production. Thats a little overkill.
Pre-production storyboarding ? What’s that ?

https://comicsverse.com/anime-production/
Pre production. Production for a show before the show has been released or is airing. Storyboarding. You already know what that is.

So storyboarding during pre production means storyboards are being prepare before Super 2.0 has started airing.

Again, the info isn’t 100%

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 pm

zarmack wrote: He should be fired, seriously.
First thing we can agree on.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm

ZombieVito wrote:
I wouldn't go that far.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:
I wouldn't go that far.
Lol, people really gotta chill with all this “fire him” stuff. Tbh, the only arc he’s done that could really be called bad for good reason is the T.o.P. With this recent arc, Toyo’s been on the mark. Give the dude a chance. Plus, he’s almost always been after the anime which makes it more difficult for him to impress others.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Toyo doesn't need to be fired, he just needs to be better. Toriyama's big issue is that he's basically being the kind of editor he wished he had, mostly hands-off and accepting of whatever plot choices happen rather than an active one thinking about what specifically will improve things narratively, like Torishima.

I mean, I still think the collective modern Dragon Ball manga front should be more of a team effort of continuity-recognized spinoffs between Toyo, Nagayama, Lee, and Ooishi than just Toyo doing the only series that makes a difference in continuity and everyone else being relegated to gag stuff and Z-tier material like Heroes.